• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Review Thread

Neifirst

It’s funny that at the beggining of the gen, when Sony had a dearth of good exclusives, warrirors were saying it was “multiplats that really mattered. That’s why people buy consoles!” Now the narrative has shifted. 🤔

Well to be fair, the multi platform titles were performing better on the system that also happened to cost $100 less at the time. And neither system had great exclusives at the time.

amdb00mer

Reading some of these reviews I really question their competency. Telling somebody that does not have a 4K not to buy it is really strange. I feel like some of these reviewers did not even bother to test it out in 1080p to see how well the supersampling makes the games look.

It's funny that at the beggining of the gen, when Sony had a dearth of good exclusives, warrirors were saying it was ”multiplats that really mattered. That's why people buy consoles!" Now the narrative has shifted. ��

I only bought my PS4 early last year so I wasn't following those discussions lol

Stuck with the PS3 because I was in a really bad spot, financially speaking.

Anyway, never said that multiplatform games where what sold me on a console. That doesn't even make sense.

Edit: Anyway, don't want to derail the thread which is, I think, about the hardware only.

It's a good looking piece of hardware, I'll admit! One of the most good looking actually!

labaronx

Worth it if I don't have a 4k tv?

Dont know if you live in us or not, but vizio usually has decent deals on tvs leading up to superbowl sunday, like $550 for a 65 inch 4k. Might not be as good as sony or LG but still. Im holding out on an xb1x til halo 6.

anddo0

I'm a multiplatform owner (PS4 Pro, Switch and gaming laptop).I don't however own a 4K tv; not due to the lack of funds. My 2013 Sony tv works just fine. I also feel that 4K is more important to PC game than it is to console in terms of distance; 4K loses its wow factor the further you sit from the screen. I'll take performance over 4K 30fps anyday.

That being said. It comes down to games. The reviews are nice, the hardware seems to deliver. But I think I'll start paying more attention once some truly exclusive groundbreaking games hit. I was all set to get this thing, but the more I think about it, it would've been a poor purchase decision from a games perspective.

solis74

Pumped for mine to arrive. Happens to arrive right when I have a week of PTO scheduled.

That said, don't know if I'll be buying any games for it at all yet.

Going to play Forza Horizon 3(which I bought with my XBOS), Halo 5(My Biggest graphical dissapointment of the gen right above ME:A.), Quantum Break, and then some BC games like Red Dead and Reach. Maybe some EA Acess games.

That said, have my eye on CoD WWII, AC:O, and Forza 7.

So the list on the MS Enhanced site has updated and now shows COD WW2 as 4K and HDR?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

MilkyJoe

Windows Central really is a joke.

How the XB1X can get away with having no true exclusives is beyond me. Costing $500 and having no exclusives and still getting favourable scores?! It must be the only console in history to get such favourable treatment from the games media.

Your fandom has made you feeble minded. Ha ha

F40

Neo Member
Well to be fair, the multi platform titles were performing better on the system that also happened to cost $100 less at the time. And neither system had great exclusives at the time.

And, there's the exclusives debate in a nutshell. Whats considered a "great" exclusive? Who gets to decide that? Ryse, Sunset, and Forza Horizon 2 were early in this generation and I thought they were all great exclusives. I've read a few of Xbox One X reviews in OP and some have co-opted this mantra that Xbox lacks exclusives. But, what they really mean is XB1 lacks Playstation style single player games that I like. Which is fine. Folks just need to be more honest about it.

So the biggest knock on the system is what the future holds for it. I'm glad they love the hardware, though. I'll take it.

Journey

Banned
What is this console without games though? It's a games console first and foremost. Reviewing 'just the hardware' is some laughable stuff.

So now there aren't any games to play on Xbox One X, like suddenly The Witcher 3 (Which I heard looks amazing on X1X by the way) doesn't exist because it's on another platform? The real question is, why would anyone want to play The Witcher 3 on PS4, Xbox One or even PS4 Pro? If you don't have a high end PC, the next best option is Xbox One X, stop this warrior nonesense already, doesn't it get old?

But again, this is a hardware review. PC GPU reviews should be horrible then by this same metric.

That's completely different and you know it. So let's start reviewing all consoles as pieces of hardware first shall we, without considering its games library? Nonsense.

This is the only console launch I can remember that is launching without any exclusives and getting a free pass. $500 is outrageous knowing this fact as you can just pick up its games on the PC you already have or XB1/PS4.

It's basically $500 to play your games in slightly higher quality. This will bomb hard WW no doubt.

Hardware wise, they definitely did put a lot into it and hey, furthering power on consoles is a good thing. However, even with that, I don't think it's going to come anywhere close to doing that much for Xbox in the grand scheme of things. Its undoing will be its lack of exclusives and basically their inability to really take away the userbase of Sony or Nintendo or hell, even PC.

munroe

That's completely different and you know it.

This is the only console launch I can remember that is launching without any exclusives and getting a free pass. $500 is outrageous knowing this fact as you can just pick up its games on the PC you already have or XB1/PS4.

It's basically $500 to play your games in slightly higher quality. This will bomb hard WW no doubt.

How is the X any different to say the S, or the S to the original? There no exclusives for the X because it's still part of the Xbox one family. Just like there weren't any exclusives for Pro because it's part of the PS4 family

Buying a slim console is essentially pay x amount to have slightly smaller console, so buying a console to play games in slightly higher quality is no different, your argument is flawed.

MadYarpen

It looks like with 1080p TV and OG PS4 I have no reason to buy this. And PS4Pro would be a more reasonable upgrade, considering price etc. Am I right?

That's completely different and you know it. So let's start reviewing all consoles as pieces of hardware first shall we, without considering its games library? Nonsense.

That's literally what the sales pitch was from the beginning.

Mentaur

Neo Member
There aren't any games on the Xbox One? Well that's news to me.

Yeah the narrative that the XB1X has no games is frankly rather stupid - this from Wired who basically are writing lies:

The Xbox One X is what the Xbox One should have been at launch: a well-designed practical console that, like the Xbox 360 before it, makes a generational leap in graphics. If it had been, perhaps Microsoft wouldn't find itself in the situation it's in now: a games company with a brilliant bit of hardware and so very little to play on it.

This box is roughly the same price as I paid for my original Xbox One I think, and not a huge amount more than what the original PS4 cost either. It is more expensive than the PS4 Pro, but then it does more and will play any 3rd party title and likely pretty much any previous Xbox exclusive game better. It should cost a bit more.

I'd love to see some exclusive narrative games on the XB1X of the quality that Sony produces, but that's not a trivial issue to solve. Sony own a bunch of studios. If I was writing a game as a 3rd party I'm not going to make it an XBX exclusive unless MS offer money that compensates me for the sales I'll lose. MS can only solve this by spending money on those deals or by buying more studios. Sony have more money to burn because they are the market leader. If you can splash the cash you'll buy an XB1X to get the best from your multi-platform games and a PS4 to play the exclusives you might care about there. That's no different to life in the previous generation - I bought a PS3 to play God of War, Uncharted and Last of Us predominantly whilst my 360 saw more continuous action.

It looks like with 1080p TV and OG PS4 I have no reason to buy this. And PS4Pro would be a more reasonable upgrade, considering price etc. Am I right?

I would wait until some X vs Pro third party comparisons are out to see what the difference is in the real world

Have to say I love the size of it and the positive comments in the reviews are no surprise, good to hear about the quietness of it. Holding off on giving them anymore money at the moment though, as also mentioned in some reviews, I find their in house first party underwhelming and highly predictable, giving them more money is like telling them they are doing great when I personally don't think they are.

dcb2821

Windows Central really is a joke.

How the XB1X can get away with having no true exclusives is beyond me. Costing $500 and having no exclusives and still getting favourable scores?! It must be the only console in history to get such favourable treatment from the games media.

Because exclusives is not the deciding factor for everyone, I have many friends that only play multiplats and dont care about exclusives. I know a couple people who only play sports games and FPS, they don't like games like Horizon or Uncharted. So the best place to play multiplats will now be the Xbox One X.

Journey

Banned

giphy.gif

deathsaber

They did as promised- the most powerful console out there. It will undoubtedly be the best machine for 3rd party multiplat games. Really, IMO their biggest problem though, has been first party development which is lacking, and of course Japan hardly supports the hardware at all, so there really isn't much exclusive to make the platform stand out. Still, great hardware.

I'm actually a little torn, because I will end up with a 4k tv soon, and also also a Christmas bonus with which to maybe invest in a 4k console.

I don't know if I want to get an X (true 4k console, 4k blu ray), PS4 Pro (4k support, if not "true" 4k, no 4k blu ray (boo), but more games that I actually play.

Or, of course, option 3- skip these machines altogether, I'm more or less fine playing games on my existing maches and why invest $400-500 on a machine that has maybe 2 years left, and I'm guessing PS5 is due around 2019.

Part of me wonders though, if PS5 will end up being Xbox One X- like in terms of specs (basically true 4k) and then the X will just become the new standard for the Xbox lineand they will just start making new games exclusive for that hardware and stop supporting the OG Xbox One.

Not everyone has a PC. Curse me, but I have a Mac to play games on.

decided to cancel my preorder after a stong two weeks of weighing the pros and cons for me personally im getting a 700 dollar bonus check in jan from work ill get it then. im sure ill be able to just walk in and get one this is a nich product so saleing out wont be an issue plus there are way to many games coming out right now to stack more honestly if crackdown was a launch title i probably would have kept it but 500 to play cuphead(the only thing that im actually wanting on play right now) just doesnt justify it for me

ElNino

While the PC I already have (Surface Book) can] play some Xbox One games, I have little desire to game on it. I will happily buy the XOX in order for the games I already have to look better, just like I did with PS4 Pro last year.

Journey

Banned
This is a French Article showing the difference owners of 1080p TV's will see with xbox x.

scroll to the pictures and use the sliders, such a big difference!

Wow, that's a sizeable difference even for 1080p TV owners

ZkNM0oA.png

gsZvwS2.png

nQ0RRN4.png

gVdP7XC.png

Keep in mind, this is for 1080p owners. The difference is a lot bigger than I thought.

I impulsively said fuck it and preordered a couple of nights ago. Even though I just bought a Switch last weekend...

Had been planning to get a PS4 Pro and still will in the relatively near future, but this just felt a bit more exciting to me as I never owned an XB1 but own a base PS4 already.

In Australian dollars, the X1X ($649) is almost $200 more than the Pro ($469) so it wasn't an entirely painless decision... but I'm pretty excited about it.

I bought a 4K TV a month ago and am yet to actually see any 4K content on it (my internet isn't quite good enough to stream 4K) so the fact you can play 4K Blu Ray discs on this console was also a factor, as UHD players are about $300-400 where I live.

Also looking forward to being able to play some old Xbox 360 games on the X1X, as I pretty much exclusively played X360 from 2008-early 2013 when I bought a PS3 and started using my X360 much less. Condemned: Criminal Origins is one game I'm really looking forward to revisiting.

Despite anticipating both games greatly, I'm somehow yet to play the new Evil Within/Wolfenstein games. I have to assume playing them on the X1X will almost definitely be the way to go over my base PS4.

BigLee74

To dismiss games wholesale as "not exclusive" on the Xbox because they can also be played on the PC is pretty disingenuous. Not everybody has or wants a PC, not everybody that has one has a good gaming PC, and not everybody that has a good gaming PC actually prefers gaming on a PC over a console.

To the majority of people, the likes of Forza, Forza Horizon, Halo, Gears, Quantum Break, Ryse, Titanfall, Ori, Sunset Overdrive etc ARE exclusive to the Xbox, quite simply because they cannot be played on the PS or Nintendo.

amdb00mer

To dismiss games wholesale as "not exclusive" on the Xbox because they can also be played on the PC is pretty disingenuous. Not everybody has or wants a PC, not everybody that has one has a good gaming PC, and not everybody that has a good gaming PC actually prefers gaming on a PC over a console.

To the majority of people, the likes of Forza, Forza Horizon, Halo, Gears, Quantum Break, Ryse, Titanfall, Ori, Sunset Overdrive etc ARE exclusive to the Xbox, quite simply because they cannot be played on the PS or Nintendo.

I agree. Also, some people just want the no hassle features of consoles. Yes, games do get patches and have to be installed nowadays, but it is still a somewhat seamless experience.

Top Bottom