• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's exclusive cross-gen games will become free Scarlett games.

Freeman76

MS are going to give so much value for money at the beginning of the next gen, they have to. Sony could miss a trick being so far ahead in the race, its almost a reverse of what happened in the 360/PS3 era. Great for us as consumers, we all benefit from this type of competition, MS being on the backfoot has really improved them imo. For almost 3/4 of this gen I was all about my PRO, then I bought an X and havent really played my PRO for a year or so until Death Stranding dropped, and i may even start next gen with MS as I like the approach they have been taking with GP and in general doingas much as they can to please us.

Ok, but what is the 'scarlett edition'?

It's a binary compiled for the Scarlett platform, that has access to the features of the Scarlett hardware through Scarlett specific APIs.

The Scarlett version can have as many or as few changes as MS wishes. It could be entirely different or effectively identical. MS are likely to want to leverage as many of Scarlett's capabilities as they practically can, while not forgetting the business case for a cross gen game.

This is not BC or FC. It is a license for one game version giving you the right to access another version. This is about license / rights management and not to do with binary compatibility.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
MS are going to give so much value for money at the beginning of the next gen, they have to. Sony could miss a trick being so far ahead in the race, its almost a reverse of what happened in the 360/PS3 era. Great for us as consumers, we all benefit from this type of competition, MS being on the backfoot has really improved them imo. For almost 3/4 of this gen I was all about my PRO, then I bought an X and havent really played my PRO for a year or so until Death Stranding dropped, and i may even start next gen with MS as I like the approach they have been taking with GP and in general doingas much as they can to please us.

I do love what MS is doing but lets face it they have always been "backfoot" as you call it every generation.

Even the PS3 eventually outsold the 360 even with the 360 coming out a year earlier.

Freeman76

I do love what MS is doing but lets face it they have always been "backfoot" as you call it every generation.

Even the PS3 eventually outsold the 360 even with the 360 coming out a year earlier.

They were not on the backfoot most of that gen, your memory is tainted somehow. SONY were banging up awesome freebies ok PS+ right near the end, before that MS were smashing them to pieces. What fucked MS up was their ridiculous E3 approach to their new console, Sony just rubbed their hands together and capitalised, and now MS are doing what they can to get back in there.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They were not on the backfoot most of that gen, your memory is tainted somehow. SONY were banging up awesome freebies ok PS+ right near the end, before that MS were smashing them to pieces. What fucked MS up was their ridiculous E3 approach to their new console, Sony just rubbed their hands together and capitalised, and now MS are doing what they can to get back in there.

Granted MS was in the lead almost that entire generation but coming out a year earlier had a lot to do with that.

Not only E3 screwed MS but also red ring of death loomed large in everyone's mind buying a new Xbox.

Top Bottom