• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One's real issue is game life

My guess is as long as MS is in the business of making video games that they will run servers to do authentication on all games from here on out. That's not that much more comforting but if you want games on Xbox One next gen, thats the game you play.

number47

There is a good chance all three of these happen:

Backwards compatibility on next platform
Cloud streaming
MS will patch the platform ala steam and divx to accept titles

This is the start of DD generation through X1

Only Microsoft can pull something like this off. I woulldn't see Sony invest in servers just for a gaming market thats might just be pretty pcs .And Nintendo can just pure handheld.

Crayons

Banned
Such a switch would be a legal nightmare. I never believed Steam even had this switch, much less being capable of using it without getting sued into oblivion.
Gaben will press the button and then commit suicide, sacrificing his life so everyone has their steam libraries intact.

amayo15

Banned
When Steam dies one day you will lose every single Steam game you ever purchased....how does that sound? Why does Valve get an A+ but Microsoft an F? The DRM system is exactly the same.

The PS4 is more than likely going to have mandatory game installs that are account linked too. They even mentioned automatic HDD installs at the Sony press conference but nobody freaked out.

The whole point of virtualized servers is that cost reduces over time and you can easily create/destroy machines for neccesary load.

One would hope that paying that monthly Live fee means they can audit the community when the next system comes out and manage VMs as neccesary. Assuming cloud based gaming isn't ubiquitous at that point.

Also, given they've moved to x86 architecture it seems that backwards comparability is guaranteed from here on out.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
There is a good chance all three of these happen:

Backwards compatibility on next platform
Cloud streaming
MS will patch the platform ala steam and divx to accept titles

This is the start of DD generation through X1

Doubt it, but of course it's nice to be hopeful at the start of a new gen despite being burned from the previous. In 5 or 6 years I"m sure we'll be saying the same things again...which is hilarious.

If Microsoft was serious, or any company for that matter, they would have devised a method of having this generation's DD libraries carry over and follow you across the company's gaming platforms forever. Digital libraries started years ago. Sony and Microsoft just don't care about bringing them over across generations. Because really, why should they bother? They can just sell them to you again next gen like the suckers gamers are. What more proof do we need to stop putting blind hope that things will change?

PC is the only gaming platform where a persistent digital library makes sense, and is the safest place to amass a gaming library right now. Doesn't have to be Steam either, and with or without DRM.

number47

The whole point of virtualized servers is that cost reduces over time and you can easily create/destroy machines for neccesary load.

One would hope that paying that monthly Live fee means they can audit the community when the next system comes out and manage VMs as neccesary. Assuming cloud based gaming isn't ubiquitous at that point.

Also, given they've moved to x86 architecture it seems that backwards comparability is guaranteed from here on out.

Whats pass cloud based gaming, virtual reality?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
When Steam dies one day you will lose every single Steam game you ever purchased....how does that sound? Why does Valve get an A+ but Microsoft an F? The DRM system is exactly the same.

The PS4 is more than likely going to have mandatory game installs that are account linked too. They even mentioned automatic HDD installs at the Sony press conference but nobody freaked out.

It is not the same. How can you equate that? If I upgrade my PC in a couple years, my Steam library will still be intact. I won't have to use my old PC; the library is still there and it follows me around as the years go on. Meanwhile, the only way to play PSN or XBLA digital games is to keep your old systems forever. That is DRM within DRM. Software and hardware. The digital library on consoles right now is an enclosed graveyard.

Yes, both are digital downloads, but to compare Steam or anything on PC to the consoles at this moment in time is closing your eyes and refusing to see what is in front of us right now. I will not be surprised when your purchases are limited to the Xbox One and cannot carry over to the Two. Meanwhile, my Steam libarary (or other PC service libraries) from a decade or so before will still be following me around, completely playable, barring any new OS bugs. And even those are almost always patched when encountered. I'd love it if my XBLA and PSN purchases would follow me to the next system, but I had an inkling for many years this wouldn't happen. I just don't trust console companies due to the close nature of the platform. There is no reason for them to have any sort of BC since gamers will repurchase games again and again.

Consoles have a long way to go to prove they can get even a fraction of the trust PC gamers have in a service like Steam; this past generation is a huge strikeout for positive digital library progress for consoles (and the next gen is laughable with Nintendo's worrisome DD system right now). It is not by chance that Steam has garnered such admiration and trust. Consoles, on the other hand, just fell flat on their untrustworthy face.

Whats pass cloud based gaming, virtual reality?

brain-computer-interface-1.jpg

number47

The New Policy is that when you sell your game. The original key code gets erased. and only gamestop,or a longer process for retailers, can reactive it. Fixed profit for Used games.

amayo15

Banned
It is not the same. How can you equate that? If I upgrade my PC in a couple years, my Steam library will still be intact. I won't have to use my old PC; the library is still there and it follows me around as the years go on. Meanwhile, the only way to play PSN or XBLA digital games is to keep your old systems forever. That is DRM within DRM. Software and hardware. The digital library on consoles right now is an enclosed graveyard.

Yes, both are digital downloads, but to compare Steam or anything on PC to the consoles at this moment in time is closing your eyes and refusing to see what is in front of us right now. I will not be surprised when your purchases are limited to the Xbox One and cannot carry over to the Two. Meanwhile, my Steam libarary (or other PC service libraries) from a decade or so before will still be following me around, completely playable, barring any new OS bugs. And even those are almost always patched when encountered. I'd love it if my XBLA and PSN purchases would follow me to the next system, but I had an inkling for many years this wouldn't happen. I just don't trust console companies due to the close nature of the platform. There is no reason for them to have any sort of BC since gamers will repurchase games again and again.

Consoles have a long way to go to prove they can get even a fraction of the trust PC gamers have in a service like Steam; this past generation is a huge strikeout for positive digital library progress for consoles (and the next gen is laughable with Nintendo's worrisome DD system right now). It is not by chance that Steam has garnered such admiration and trust. Consoles, on the other hand, just fell flat on their untrustworthy face.

You're assuming that Steam's servers will never go down and that console services will. If Steam ever goes out of business you don't have another way to download those games and you won't be able to play them legally...they're lost forever. Also, this has nothing to do with backwards compatibility really...not sure why that's being thrown into the same argument. There is some difference in platforms and backwards compatibility but that's really got nothing to do with DRM.

Because at the end of the day everyone knows that they can crack their games on PC and make them DRM free if they really want to if a Steam doomsday comes. It is not a great situation by any means but at least those games will still continue to exist and be preserved in some form (even if illegal). If Microsoft stops supporting the Xbox One those games will be lost forever.

Also, Steam has an offline mode that doesn't phone home. Also it does have some games on the service with no DRM (mostly independent or older games) that will run without Steam being on (although this is never advertised to the buyer). Microsoft has a precedent of shutting down support/services on legacy platforms while Steam is on a platform that doesn't get replaced. DRM is never ideal, but the situation is not the same in the grand scheme.

I wish Steam would add a "DRM Free" category (like on the features page to the side, where "multiplayer, controller support, etc" are located) so it can be seen as a feature and consumers can decide if it is valuable to them.

AzaK

My biggest fear about Xbox One isn't even about used games. It's about how long these games will live. I can still play every Atari 2600 game I bought. All my NES games (battery still works somehow). Game boy.

The biggest one being PC. I can still play just about all those old games on new PC's!

This is spanning 30 years of my gaming history. Every game I ever bought, aside from Final Fantasy 7 PC version which is a bugged game, can be played today.

I can't say the same for Xbox One. Once the servers get shut off, it's done. You're stuck with frisbee's.

This will also hurt collectors.

Similar issue with DD and 'always on'. If you rely on someone else to keep a server running so you can play your games then you're asking for trouble.

Because at the end of the day everyone knows that they can crack their games on PC and make them DRM free if they really want to if a Steam doomsday comes. It is not a great situation by any means but at least those games will still continue to exist and be preserved in some form (even if illegal). If Microsoft stops supporting the Xbox One those games will be lost forever.

I understand what you are saying and agree with the sentiment. But if you are going to use cracks as a counter argument, it is also quite likely somebody will reverse engineer the microsoft "call home" signal at some stage too and allow you to keep playing.

The main difference is Valve are not trying to sell me a new box every five years or so. We can't help Valve going out of business, but at the same time they don't have a vested interest in ever turning their system off or adding restrictions.

Try this one on: since games have to be 'authorized' to use, Microsoft can change the terms of service at any time to make your games expire, requiring re-purchase.

eastmen

Banned
My biggest fear about Xbox One isn't even about used games. It's about how long these games will live. I can still play every Atari 2600 game I bought. All my NES games (battery still works somehow). Game boy.

The biggest one being PC. I can still play just about all those old games on new PC's!

This is spanning 30 years of my gaming history. Every game I ever bought, aside from Final Fantasy 7 PC version which is a bugged game, can be played today.

I can't say the same for Xbox One. Once the servers get shut off, it's done. You're stuck with frisbee's.

This will also hurt collectors.

it becomes trivial . Think about what you'd need to run a ps3/xbox 360 game ? even low end apu's can run them as well or better than those systems could. It will only advance in the future. The same will happen with xbox one. in 7 years we will all laugh at how much more powerful the new systems are.

So as we move forward more games will go on the cloud with things like gakki or onlive. Not only that but x86 is only going to get better its been around for decades. So future consoles can use it and we can see the games on xbox one work with xbox two.

eastmen

Banned
Try this one on: since games have to be 'authorized' to use, Microsoft can change the terms of service at any time to make your games expire, requiring re-purchase.

sony / ms and Nintendo could have done this all last gen too. Whats your point ? Virtual console / psn / xbox arcade all could have had the company flip a switch.

The question is why are people just calling ms out on this when all 3 companies are able to do so

sony / ms and Nintendo could have done this all last gen too. Whats your point ? Virtual console / psn / xbox arcade all could have had the company flip a switch.

The question is why are people just calling ms out on this when all 3 companies are able to do so

If they tried to do so, we could have just unplugged our consoles and there is nothing they could do to stop us playing our games.

Now it is different, because you need to constantly connect back to them to keep playing. That is why people are concerned.

eastmen

Banned
If they tried to do so, we could have just unplugged our consoles and there is nothing they could do to stop us playing our games.

Now it is different, because you need to constantly connect back to them to keep playing. That is why people are concerned.

And by doing so you'd loose a ton of features . So I don't really see where your going. Its the same BS

When sony announces the same features no one is going to bat an eye and a lot of the people complaining now will be back peddling and making excuses in a few short weeks.

Top Bottom