• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's Scaler May Be Applying a Sharpening Filter to All Sub-1080p Games

Only early on, lol, then I changed it. Next time I post DR3 screens they'll be 9 or 10 bars because even 7 bars isn't enough, ROFL.
I mean, if a regular player plays this game, without changing the gamma settings, will it actually look like that throughout the whole game? Geeez.

Mononoke

Banned
Try it without.

I feel dumb for not knowing this...so if I'm on a 55 inch 1080p TV, I shouldn't be using Full RGB if the output of the game is 720p? Do I need to turn it back to full when I'm playing 1080p games like Forza? Or should I just always leave it to limited.

Timu

I mean, if a regular player plays this game, without changing the gamma settings, will it actually look like that throughout the whole game? Geeez.
Yes, that's correct, you need to change the gamma as high as possible because the game forces you to or else you're stuck with darkness, lol.

Yes, that's correct, you need to change the gamma as high as possible because the game forces you to or else you're stuck with darkness, lol.
Holy crap, that's horrible. How don't review sites mention this? Even people who do "Let's Play"s don't seem to mention it.

Off topic: how would I know if my HDTV supports limited/full rgb?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Holy crap, that's horrible. How don't review sites mention this? Even people who do "Let's Play"s don't seem to mention it.

Grayscale test patterns. You can get them on Blu-ray. Some games have them in the options menus, too.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So is this fixable in a firmware update? Or are people stuck with this for the lifetime of their console?

Almost certainly fixable. But if history is any indication, the chances aren't good.

Kiljaro

Ugh, the 360's scaler is amazing. Why would they do this and not have an option buried somewhere in the system settings to turn this off for tech geeks?

Timu

I wish I knew, the game asked for gamma settings before I even started the story mode.

And I'm not sure about that stuff.

Timu

Ugh, the 360's scaler is amazing. Why would they do this and not have an option buried somewhere in the system settings to turn this off for tech geeks?
I have no idea, when I took screenshots of 360 games I didn't even have this problem. No crushed blacks or anything like that.

TAJ

I'll have to research this more. Thanks.

The most convenient way would be looking at online patterns using your console's browser. There should be the same number of bars in the scale on limited and full. If some on the ends lump together then you have a problem.

I have no idea, when I took screenshots of 360 games I didn't even have this problem. No crushed blacks or anything like that.

There were issues, but much more subtle, and no sharpening.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-hdmi?page=3

Replicant

Your eyes won't regret this:

irjCmnq0KLLf1.png

LOL. WTF is this? I can't even make out what's what. How are you supposed to hit the zombies? I hope there's no friendly hits on this game (ie. accidentally hitting people you're supposed to protect) because that'd suck bad.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I feel dumb for not knowing this...so if I'm on a 55 inch 1080p TV, I shouldn't be using Full RGB if the output of the game is 720p? Do I need to turn it back to full when I'm playing 1080p games like Forza? Or should I just always leave it to limited.

RGB range has nothing to do with resolution, it's simply the range of colors possible in the signal being sent to your TV.

An RGB signal has three color components: red, green and blue. A certain pixel is given its color by a combination of various amounts of these colors. If we're talking about the full RGB range, each of these components can take on a value from 0 to 255. Thus, pure red would have the values (255, 0, 0). Black is (0, 0, 0), and white is (255, 255, 255). Etc.

With limited range, the possible values are instead 16 to 235. That means that when your TV (if it only supports limited range) gets the values (16, 16, 16), it will display that as the blackest black it can. Similarly, (235, 235, 235) will be displayed as the brightest white the TV can produce.

Now, what happens if you feed that TV a full range signal? That signal will contain values all the way from 0 to 255. Now, this TV already displays (16, 16, 16) as the darkest black it can, so what would (4, 4, 4) or (9, 9, 9) result in? The exact same blackest black, when they should really be displayed as various shades of dark grey. The same problem happens at the upper end of the scale, with values over 235. Thus, you lose all detail in very dark and very bright areas. Instead of detailed shadowy areas you just get large blotches of complete blackness, which is known as "black crush".

So the solution is to feed the TV a limited range signal. In such a signal the original range of color values (0-255, which is what the consoles work with internally) is compressed into a limited range (16-235). Every color value is shifted to the proper relative value in this smaller range, so that what was originally 0 becomes 16, what was 255 becomes 235, etc. So now the TV gets a signal it can actually display properly, and what should be dark grey is no longer displayed as pure black.

So yes, if your TV doesn't support RGB full range (which most TVs don't) your console(s) should always be set to RGB limited range, no matter the resolution.

(Sorry about the looong explanation, I just think more people should understand what's actually going on here!)

If the XBO is giving the same crushed blacks with both full and limited range, then it would seem that instead of compressing the color range into limited range like it should, it's just "chopping off" the lower and upper parts so that all information in very dark or bright areas is simply lost (the same result as feeding a full range signal to a limited range TV).

My Dead Rising 3 doesn't look like that either without gamma adjustments. Don't have any sort of capture kit although I suppose I could take a picture with my phone?

Chobel

My Dead Rising 3 doesn't look like that either without gamma adjustments. Don't have any sort of capture kit although I suppose I could take a picture with my phone?

Nah, we need screenshots from direct feed.

Can you use your TV to see screenshots posted by Timu? because probably your TV has something that enhances Xbox One output, so Timu screenshots should look exactly the same like your DR3.

Can you use your TV to see screenshots posted by Timu? because probably your TV has something that enhances Xbox One output, so Timu screenshots should look exactly the same like your DR3.

Wouldn't a recorded clip work, just to see how it looks for him?

Mononoke

Banned
RGB range has nothing to do with resolution, it's simply the range of colors possible in the signal being sent to your TV.

An RGB signal has three color components: red, green and blue. A certain pixel is given its color by a combination of various amounts of these colors. If we're talking about the full RGB range, each of these components can take on a value from 0 to 255. Thus, pure red would have the values (255, 0, 0). Black is (0, 0, 0), and white is (255, 255, 255). Etc.

With limited range, the possible values are instead 16 to 235. That means that when your TV (if it only supports limited range) gets the values (16, 16, 16), it will display that as the blackest black it can. Similarly, (235, 235, 235) will be displayed as the brightest white the TV can produce.

Now, what happens if you feed that TV a full range signal? That signal will contain values all the way from 0 to 255. Now, this TV already displays (16, 16, 16) as the darkest black it can, so what would (0, 0, 0) or (7, 7, 7) result in? The exact same blackest black, when they should really be displayed as various shades of dark grey. The same problem happens at the upper end of the scale, with values over 235. Thus, you lose all detail in very dark and very bright areas. Instead of detailed shadowy areas you just get large blotches of complete blackness, which is known as "black crush".

So the solution is to feed the TV a limited range signal. In such a signal the original range of color values (0-255, which is what the consoles work with internally) is compressed into a limited range (16-235). Every color value is shifted to the proper relative value in this smaller range, so that what was originally 0 becomes 16, what was 255 becomes 235, etc. So now the TV gets a signal it can actually display properly, and what should be dark grey is no longer displayed as pure black.

So yes, if your TV doesn't support RGB full range (which most TVs don't) your console(s) should always be set to RGB limited range, no matter the resolution.

(Sorry about the looong explanation, I just think more people should understand what's actually going on here!)

If the XBO is giving the same crushed blacks with both full and limited range, then it would seem that instead of compressing the color range into limited range like it should, it's just "chopping off" the lower and upper parts so that all information in very dark or bright areas is simply lost (the same result as feeding a full range signal to a limited range TV).

Thank you for taking the time to explain. This has been extremely helpful.

Meant more as a general view to show that the game isn't crushing blacks to the point of unplayability at default settings to me. And I'll try the Xbox One IE to check, recently moved my desktop to a desk/monitor setup.

Timu

I don't think I can take anymore screenshots until I get a new capture card, unless it's for comparisons, lol.

Checked his Dead Rising 3 screenshot on my TV via internet explorer and it still looks crushed. His PS4 screenshots are fine so one imagines the Xbox One is playing some part in it but my game looks nothing like that. So woohoo I suppose!

Timu

Checked his Dead Rising 3 screenshot on my TV via internet explorer and it still looks crushed. His PS4 screenshots are fine so one imagines the Xbox One is playing some part in it but my game looks nothing like that. So woohoo I suppose!
List those settings!!!

Timu

Ok I will do those settings soon, though I don't usually upscale games to 1080p, I'll make this one an exception.

TAJ

Does this means your Xbox One output was 720p in all these screenshots?

That's why they don't have that gross sharpening on them.

jaggednesskkyj0.png

Took an off screen image to show off the sharpening effect. It's shit quality but someone else feel free to make a better one. I don't have the equipment.

TyrantII

Ok I did his settings but decided to go the extra mile of doing different gammas from 6 to 10:

I think so.

Gamma isn't going to help you problem. You'll brighten the image a bit, but then you just wash out the saturation. The crushed black become lighter crushed grays. So you can see better, but you still can't make out any detail/texture detail in the blacks which is the real problem.

I assume you've checked you TV's setting to make sure both the XB1 and TV are set to RGB Limited? What model TV are you using BTW?

Top Bottom