• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

splattered

I've noticed when i click into file info on some of the X|S optimized titles they still show as version Durango even though they received the new updates. Just something that will be corrected later to Scarlett listing or no? Cause could be a little confusing..

Elias

I've noticed when i click into file info on some of the X|S optimized titles they still show as version Durango even though they received the new updates. Just something that will be corrected later to Scarlett listing or no? Cause could be a little confusing..
Most games aren't using the new gdk, it seems. Which makes sense, it's not finished.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

A lot of the games that are being patched simply take the new profiles of the hardware into consideration. They are still technically xbox one games and are not using the new SDK's.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I can't believe how much I love Quick Resume. I was really meh on it when I first heard about it, now I can't imagine how I did without it.

I also absolutely love how fast the Series X loads from a cold boot. I am really loving this console so far.

It's sadly completely dead for me. I'm not sure what happened. But it was legit when I used it.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's sadly completely dead for me. I'm not sure what happened. But it was legit when I used it.

That sucks.
You probably did this already but, Jedi FO quit working for me and Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity told me to reboot the console and it started working again. But it was kind of flaky didn't work with rest mode, so I set it to turn off completely when powering down and it's been much more reliable although with FO3, one time it took me to the menu instead of directly to where I left off.

I hope they can patch it to work ALL the time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That sucks.
You probably did this already but, Jedi FO quit working for me and Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity told me to reboot the console and it started working again. But it was kind of flaky didn't work with rest mode, so I set it to turn off completely when powering down and it's been much more reliable although with FO3, one time it took me to the menu instead of directly to where I left off.

I hope they can patch it to work ALL the time.

I actually only use energy saver mode and haven't left it is standby.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The recent multiplat comparisons kind of have me regretting my purchase. I know it's stupid because it's not like there's a massive difference between the PS5 and Series X versions of these games, but I can't help but feel I picked the wrong console to be my main multiplatform device. And I find the excuse of the dev kits not being mature enough a flimsy one at best that won't make that big of a difference in the end.

Maybe it's just all the negativity going around the forum that's getting to me. Sorry for the rant, I'm going to go try and enjoy some games lol

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The recent multiplat comparisons kind of have me regretting my purchase. I know it's stupid because it's not like there's a massive difference between the PS5 and Series X versions of these games, but I can't help but feel I picked the wrong console to be my main multiplatform device. And I find the excuse of the dev kits not being mature enough a flimsy one at best that won't make that big of a difference in the end.

Maybe it's just all the negativity going around the forum that's getting to me. Sorry for the rant, I'm going to go try and enjoy some games lol

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.

giphy.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is there any sort pure next-gen game not being on previous consoles? However this could be another lead, to why the performance is as such.... Someone on Beyond 3D mentioned the same think, that they believe that game is running in GCN power level. Not sure tho, however who ever programmed on UWP....could be little suspicious.

I'd wait until we have full next gen games not cross gen titles built primarily for last gen

saintjules

Thats one reason why I got both. Cover all ground.

hMghkCZ.jpg

Mmnow

Let me just say, those guys shouting all the negativity are absolutely terrified right now.

I mean,think about it. For the last six months all we've heard is how loading times would be doubly long on Xbox and how a few minor graphical advantages just don't matter. Now those people are talking about framerate drops and tearing like we're back in the age of 1080p vs 900p. And loading times? Well, those threads have a couple hundred comments compared to thousands on the graphical comparisons.

And let's say that the tools need developing or Microsoft otherwise gets their act together - the best PlayStation has managed to do is a kind of sometimes more stable parity. Of course the fanboys are screaming it from the rooftops. Because if the advantage slips back to Xbox, no matter how minor,it would crush them.

Personally I got the PlayStation too,so none of this really matters to me. But don't confuse their gloating for anything other than what it is.

LokusAbriss

Any of you guys keeping your Series X in standby mode or full shutdown?
I keep it shutdown. Only in standby, when I want something to download while I am gone.

The startup and the jump into games have become so fast, that I can't be bothered.

What bugs me, is the performance deficit in AC Valhalla. I fixed the tearing by using freesynq, but that can't be the solution. Many people don't have sets that support freesync or VRR.

-Arcadia-

Banned

I think Sony has handily won Round 1, from exclusives, to multiplats. Hats off. I don’t think Microsoft put its best foot forward, for an entire year after the brilliant Hellblade 2 unveil, and that’s feedback I want them to receive.

I’m not convinced Microsoft isn’t coming back hard for Round 2. I have serious doubts that this hardware is less powerful, because that doesn’t make sense. We can talk about ‘a high tide raises all ships’ in reference to how the PS5 is clocked, and maybe there’s some merit to that, but I don’t think it would grant them multiplat wins.

To me, PS5 seems to have been designed with a tighter budget in mind (which, you know. $400 version. 10 TF. Makes sense). Maximum performance on parts and specs you wouldn’t have expected that performance from, thanks to smart design. The thing is, Series X seems to be a go-for-broke level of hardware and ambition, with similarly intelligent considerations made all over the device.

Whatever’s happening here, I don’t see it as a permanent situation. We’ll see, but I think developers are going to come to grips with Series X, and we are going to see it pull ahead more consistently, and by a larger margin. Add in incoming exclusives, and the future could look much different than today. Which, being a tiny bit behind or ahead of the PS5, isn’t the end of the world.

Enjoy your games, and have lots of fun for now. So often, we don’t really understand consoles in their launch period, with rushed system software, rushed games, and rushed development hardware.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
From a reliability aspect the SX has been much better for me, just today alone I've had to power cycle the PS5 twice after it freezing at becoming unresponsive (even the OS). First time I had to hold the power button for it to turn off, second time this did not work and I had to unplug it from the wall, turned it back on to the beautiful restoring database message. The console also has a tad bit of coil whine, that doesn't bother me tho.

The primevideo app also crashed on me randomly when I was about to close it. Hopefully this will be the end of the issues because I really do like the console.

Meanwhile I've used the SX for a bit longer as I got it first, and have used it for over 6 hours at a time during the weekend. It has not given me the tiniest bit of noise or made any sign that it's struggling.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

From a reliability aspect the SX has been much better for me, just today alone I've had to power cycle the PS5 twice after it freezing at becoming unresponsive (even the OS). First time I had to hold the power button for it to turn off, second time this did not work and I had to unplug it from the wall, turned it back on to the beautiful restoring database message. The console also has a tad bit of coil whine, that doesn't bother me tho.

The primevideo app also crashed on me randomly when I was about to close it. Hopefully this will be the end of the issues because I really do like the console.

Meanwhile I've used the SX for a bit longer as I got it first, and have used it for over 6 hours at a time during the weekend. It has not given me the tiniest bit of noise or made any sign that it's struggling.
I had apps and games not starting on XSX too. AC Valhalla froze for like 5 seconds recently and I thought the whole box would crash, but it ran smooth after. XSX is great, but not perfect.

reksveks

I had one issue so far where the OS basically just bugged out and I couldn't get into the game library or open the settings however the game was working perfectly fine so I had to save and then turn it off and let it reboot, thank god for QR as well.

Flintty

I know what you mean - the front page has been a depressing read the last few days. But never let NeoGAF shitbags affect your enjoyment of whatever you bought.

The differences are minimal - the only real issue for Valhalla is the tearing, and I’m confident that will be fixed.

People are waving their dicks over a few dropped frames in specific circumstances, as though it’s a huge victory to them. Just laugh at them and move on.

Had a crash on Yakuza Like a Dragon which then quick resumed back into the same crash - fixed by just bumping it out of the QR order with 5 other games. Haven't had any other issues really.

I've had three games permanently in the QR order now for 9 days without dropping once (Ori 2, FFXV and Nier Automata) and I find myself flipping between them for an hour or so each in the evening. The function is remarkable but it wouldn't be half as effective without Game Pass.

In general I'm just loving having a Series X, it's everything I've ever wanted from Xbox and the best is still yet to come.

And yes, I gave in and ordered a Series S for the kids room too, will report back on that when it arrives late December.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Something I'd really appreciate is a Quick Resume menu bar that allows you to choose the titles you'd like to Quick Resume. Once they get this all ironed out and working perfectly it will be insane. It's awesome being able to have Quick Resume and auto-HDR on 360 games. I stacked a bunch of them in a group earlier and I'm pretty sure I went way over 5 titles. Probably upwards of 9. Occasionally I'd get a title that would black screen and wouldn't load and I'd have to just go back to home menu. Once again, being able to choose games to resume would be ace.

DrDamn

Something I'd really appreciate is a Quick Resume menu bar that allows you to choose the titles you'd like to Quick Resume. Once they get this all ironed out and working perfectly it will be insane. It's awesome being able to have Quick Resume and auto-HDR on 360 games. I stacked a bunch of them in a group earlier and I'm pretty sure I went way over 5 titles. Probably upwards of 9. Occasionally I'd get a title that would black screen and wouldn't load and I'd have to just go back to home menu. Once again, being able to choose games to resume would be ace.

Flexibility in the newer features tends to come eventually. Get the core reliable and then build. I'd like some control over enabling it on a per game basis, control over priorities, control over how many games/how much SSD gets reserved etc. Maybe they just want it to be as simple and automatic as app switching on a phone? It's not quite the same thing or use case though if you are relying on it as a save state somewhat.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Did anyone know Witcher 3 is 60fps in high resolution mode now ? I know it was there on 1X but the resolution was 1080p i think now its sharp and 60fps.

Last edited:
Did anyone know Witcher 3 is 60fps in high resolution mode now ? I know it was there on 1X but the resolution was 1080p i think now its sharp and 60fps.

It was dynamic resolution on One X but mostly sat around 1080p to maintain the high frame rate. Now on Series X it sits at 4k/60 no problem.

Have been tempted to jump in, but will sit out the next gen patch.

kuncol02

Banned
That are games made with old XOne SDK. They are able to use all power of XSX but can't use new features like VA. They even run from external drive. That are basically XOne games with settings going way beyond what OneX could deliver like 6k mode of Ori.

Not sure tho, however who ever programmed on UWP....could be little suspicious.
That's new games that are running in UWP like frameworl called GameCore. Still not feature complete judging from info I was able to gather on internet.

.hacked

Don’t want to jinx it but looks like I may have a Xbox heading my way next week (thanks bro you are awesome).

snagged a 1tb card off Best Buy, but plan on keeping the bulk of my old Xbox library on an external usb drive (stuff I just don’t play much but don’t want to redownload).

Can’t wait to give new Yakuza a try and think this is where I’ll be playing Cyberpunk

Last edited:

Zuzu

I've got an annoying problem at the moment. I've set the Series X to capture game footage at 4k in HDR. When I go to upload any footage to my activity feed, it says that it has to convert it to 1080p SDR. But when it starts this process of conversion it gets to 2% and then just goes to a black screen and doesn't seem to go any further. This is really annoying because I don't want to capture footage in 1080p SDR since then I would have to play my games without HDR turned on.

M1chl

That are games made with old XOne SDK. They are able to use all power of XSX but can't use new features like VA. They even run from external drive. That are basically XOne games with settings going way beyond what OneX could deliver like 6k mode of Ori.

That's new games that are running in UWP like frameworl called GameCore. Still not feature complete judging from info I was able to gather on internet.
Oh I did not meant it like that, it was just illustration how their SDK can be broken, back in the day, when it was needed for those Windows RT and Mobile Devices, it was horrible SDK. Nothing about Xbox tho, just it was embarassingly buggy and unstable development environment, so certainly there is change that they could have some issues with all of this.

kuncol02

Banned
Oh I did not meant it like that, it was just illustration how their SDK can be broken, back in the day, when it was needed for those Windows RT and Mobile Devices, it was horrible SDK. Nothing about Xbox tho, just it was embarassingly buggy and unstable development environment, so certainly there is change that they could have some issues with all of this.
Was there any not buggy first release of any SDK from MS?

M1chl

Was there any not buggy first release of any SDK from MS?
Well if you have to make some profit, clients give zero fucks, that "MS sux". You know just "make it run, son today or no money", so in that case it frustrated me more than like, that after restart you are getting default wallpaper in OS : D

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This is why Microsoft is better at slowly evolving their software and tools then to change everything. Still waiting for WSL to be more stable.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned

If you have both isnt it easy to switch to the PS5 been your main? That been said the differences between multiplats are so small I wouldn't worry at all, whatever platform.

I love the Series X but the PS5 will be my main also. Gamepass and legacy titles totally makes the Series X worthwhile tho. To think im getting all first party games free with Gamepass for the next 3 years is awesome, so its not like outside of day 1 the cost of using two consoles will be any higher than just having one 😁.

Last edited:

saintjules

I keep it shutdown. Only in standby, when I want something to download while I am gone.

The startup and the jump into games have become so fast, that I can't be bothered.

What bugs me, is the performance deficit in AC Valhalla. I fixed the tearing by using freesynq, but that can't be the solution. Many people don't have sets that support freesync or VRR.

Gotcha. So I guess the fastest way to full shutdown is hold the power button. Otherwise I have to go through the menu to power down that way.

I'm on an OLED C9, so I guess VRR on Valhalla has been working because I never saw the tearing issues. It does suck for that to be an issue for many currently.

Elias

These games are coming in hot. Ubisoft doesn't have great quality control.

Elias

On the Xbox Empire podcast, Jeff Grubb said his sources confirmed the next Forza Horizon will be next year.

So I guess 2022 for Forza Motorsport, if that's true.

Forza Horizon before Forza Motosport? Interesting. And if it's releasing next year... they probably had something to show during the July show but chose not to?

Top Bottom