• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox players are greeted with a full-screen pop-up ad for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III when they boot up their Xbox console

I actually don't care if this is the default. When half of all GP subs haven't even tried Starfield, I genuinely believe discoverability is one of their biggest problems. Advertise to the morons that don't even know what release dates are.

But for fucks sake, bury an opt out in the options menu or I will be fucking pissed. This is completely ridiculous that your system defaults to "spend money" on one button press. That should literally be illegal. Not even safe to leave the console around kids without password blocking everything.
Ms is above the law or they like to think they are anyway.

Three

so if you paid for windows 7, you can install w10 on an unlimited amount of machines to use at the same time?
No you can't officially as far as I know. The key is tied to your hardware so when you install new Windows versions even from scratch they check your hardware id against the key online I believe so you don't need to enter the key again. You can't install it on an unlimited amount of machines.
Dope theme though.

Why does CharlieIntel have access to Tom Warren's account? Or is he posting his stuff?

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
No you can't officially as far as I know. The key is tied to your hardware so when you install new Windows versions even from scratch they check your hardware id against the key online I believe so you don't need to enter the key again. You can't install it on an unlimited amount of machines.

Why does CharlieIntel have access to Tom Warren's account? Or is he posting his stuff?
It’s linked from his tweet where he shared the background. Doesn’t show it in the embed.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Mandatory Singstar in the PS3 dashboard paved the way for all of this modern shit.

That's why playing offline is better. Why connect my console if it is only to have ads displayed everywhere ? The dashboard is cleaner when offline.
Having free games built-in isn’t similar.

companies

Sq3B0Is.jpg
KS8gjHM.jpg
bv5hWPe.jpg

Weird on mine they were Bridges Energy Drink.

Are the monsters some sort of unlockable?

RPS37

I can confirm it just did it on startup for me.
If the campaign was worth playing, I might not even care.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not the end of the world if they did this twice a year, but if they start pulling this crap every time one boots up, we may have a problem.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I'm referring to the "featured news' section that immediately displays when you press the power button. They use that space for unique content, ads, links to sales in the store, game help videos, etc..
I’d say it's not really in the same league as this though. I've never experienced any full-screen ads as intrusive as this

supernova8

Banned
The PS3, PS4, and PS5 home screens also only show your games and nothing else unless you intentionally scroll to view the PS Store page. Of the Big 3, only Microsoft pushes ads in your home screen. I remember my OG 360 UI, it never had ads. I'm never going to buy another Xbox again until they remove ads from the home screen.
I like my Series S, not going to sell it just yet, so I wouldn't go that far.... I just wish they would fuck off with these stupid ads.
I wonder how many more people will really buy it because of this big annoying ad on top of the people who either were already 100% going to buy it/100% not going to buy it.

I can't see someone on the fence being like "oh well now you inconvenienced me with a big fullscreen ad that I have to actively click away from, I guess I definitely must buy it"

Or maybe I'm not mainstream enough and this bullshit really does work on the "sheep"?

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wanted to pick up Modern Warfare III and this made me want to not or to wait until a deep sale.

Good job, Microsoft. Saving me from spending too much money on your shit.

Akuji

Dafuq, hopefully that isnt legal in germany. Would actually want to return my console if that would be happening. I bought the Thing without there being a tied in ad or something ...

Horrible would love if ms has to pay 1 million for every screen someone has to see

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I actually wondered what my neice was doing when I walked in and she'd turned my xbox on. Thought she had somehow navigated to buy it and she's 7.

Luckily I have passcode protected purchases but this is shady.

Trying to get that money back and sway as many purchases as possible MS?

MarkMe2525

I’d say it's not really in the same league as this though. I've never experienced any full-screen ads as intrusive as this
I will preface this by saying I would prefer no ads, but unfortunately that is not in the cards. I was responding to a particular assertion made by a user that claimed "MS was the first company to spam you with ads when you turn on the console." That is why I brought up the fact that the Switch delivers ads almost everytime you press the power button. Again, this was to dismiss a claim that MS was the first to ever deliver similiar ads in a console. MS's single ad was larger for sure, but in both cases, you were effectively stuck in the same situation, press a button to stop looking at the ad. In MS case, that isn't everytime you press the power button.

Tbh, it's a silly argument anyways. It doesn't bother me at all on the Switch, and if I had been delivered this MW3 ad, I would not have been to bothered by it as well. Though, this wouldn't be the case if the practice became common.

wolffy66

Is it really that hard to just click the X to close a pop-up? Is it really that hard to just watch a 15-second ad before a YouTube video?

These are the mindsets that allow this kind of crap to get worse and worse. We should be fighting this, not lying down and taking in the eye socket.

Is there some way to mass-brigade their support with a message that says not to do this again?
People complain about anything

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why stop at this? Put ads during loading screens, during respawn times, during the credits, during the lobby area, during the matchmaking process, during the pause menu...woop the shit out, go full force with that.
Oh I bet that's all still coming.
Og XB1 UX was literally designed around the concept, we only have the technical incompetence of teams that designed it to thank for it not taking hold.

Roxkis_ii

People are defending this. Welcome to the darkest timeline.
And its absolutely fucking disgusting watching people down play this. I hope these people didn't sell their souls for free to be defending ads on boot up of a freaking console.

It's one thing to defend a product, at least that could have merit, but to defend ads! One of the most unpleasant things about the internet and life in general. It's probably terrorist who sleep better at night.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Not a fan, but it's a few months too late to be outraged about this. I recall seeing a full screen ad for Starfield months ago. Sony is far less blatant with advertising on the console, which I appreciate.

I’m in the UK and I received a message asking if I wanted to see promotions from Microsoft or something. I said no and didn’t get the MW3 ad. Is that the experience of other users? Could it be that this was an opt in thing the entire time?

DAHGAMING

Lucky fuckers, I had big Phil banging at my door at 0230 shouting through the letterbox to please pleasee buy this shity dlc disguised as a full release. I checked my hipster blink doorbell to see the shit eating smile and i could literaly see the lies slipping through hes teeth.

Ben87fr

Weird, i didn't get the starfield and forza ads but i got this one yesterday, and i just subbed to gamepass hum...

Top Bottom