• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

$599 isn't gonna be the build price, build price will be something random like $573 or some shit

Also it's not gonna be $599. And if the price is announced at E3 it won't be higher than $399

Expecting/hoping for 399 base and a 499 version with an SSD in it.

I'll eat my hat if it comes with a useful SSD. It'll be a hybrid drive or a small solid state just for the OS (think Wii U) at best.

And I think they'll fit it with 2TB. Just to make it a higher number than Xbox One S.

It depends on the supply chain but also the company paying. Most of Nintendo's costs for instance are in JPY. This was a very big factor when the Yen was really strong around the time they were trying to launch the WiiU.

What supply chain?
95% of all electronic components are coming from china / SEA and are traded in $.
It's the same like oil.
Electronics and Oil are $ based.

I depends on the company selling. Not the company paying. Their currency exchange loss or gain is based on local currency.

Nintendo doesn't pay Foxcon Yen for the Switch units.

Raide

I'll eat my hat if it comes with a useful SSD. It'll be a hybrid drive or a small solid state just for the OS (think Wii U) at best.

And I think they'll fit it with 2TB. Just to make it a higher number than Xbox One S.

Hybrid would be a nice compromise.

Xbox One S 2 TB model production costs estimate in mid 2016 $324
ihs_markit_microsoft_xbox_ones_top_cost_drivers.png

1 TB Xbox Scorpio in fall 2017 will not cost over $75 more to produce

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well, as I said, take this with a pinch of salt. I personally hope it's wrong.

But what they said was that 599 (not sure of currency - I guess either € or US$) was actually what it cost TO BUILD.

Just to be clear - I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this. I'm very skeptical myself, but I just wanted to share.

Can say with 100% certainty Scorpio won't cost $599 to buy. No idea what it costs to make.

Ya'll are taking some crazy pills this morning... You can buy a 1TB Xbox One S with a game for $299 in the US right now. That's a "limited time" promotion right before E3, which means we're likely to get another promotion soon or confirmation of a new MSRP.

Scorpio does nothing to justify being twice the price of a 1TB Xbox One S with a game included...

If Microsoft wanted to come out with its guns blazing they will announce a $199 XBOX One S and a $399 Scorpio with a 1TB SSD hybrid hard drive.

TRios Zen

599 and 499.

That's perfectly reasonable.

$599 is not a sustainable market price and those SKU's will sell an extremely small amount. I think a $499 SKU is probably outside of what most people will pay and if that was the lowest price Scorpio was available for it would relegate it to such a small market share as to make it completely inconsequential (IMO of course).

Expecting/hoping for 399 base and a 499 version with an SSD in it.

Sadly I'd expect a 2TB drive as the "premium" and no SSD at all. Would love to be wrong!

Phil Spencer DID say they still expect the S to sell more, that the majority will choose that one. But I doubt that means MS will just throw a 600 dollar price tag on Scorpio.

Phil Spencer DID say they still expect the S to sell more, that the majority will choose that one. But I doubt that means MS will just throw a 600 dollar price tag on Scorpio.

Yeah... I think too many people looked at that quote as confirmation of a higher than normal price for Scorpio. I think it's just his PR-friendly way of saying that general consumers are going to flock to the lower-priced SKU.

Thorrgal

Imagine if they don't release a price this E3...people would go CRAZY

If it was >$399 they would've announced the price before E3, so I'm confident it will be $399, and will be the closer

Yeah... I think too many people looked at that quote as confirmation of a higher than normal price for Scorpio. I think it's just his PR-friendly way of saying that general consumers are going to flock to the lower-priced SKU.

Exactly. And MS is not stupid, they know people looking for the extra power are willing to pay a high price, but.....600 bucks high? Naw!

Imagine if they don't release a price this E3...people would go CRAZY

If it was >$399 they would've announced the price before E3, so I'm confident it will be $399, and will be the closer

That would be a pretty cool way of doing things. Reveal the system, name and release date and end the show with the price. Not sure i'd like it though, i'll be waiting for that damn price all show long then, haha..

It's going to be $399 with a $499 Day One SKU. £379 and £449 respectively in the UK.

It has to be around that price otherwise it simply won't sell, at which point it's a waste of time having the best console and best version of games on the market.

MS finally have a real opportunity to recapture some of their lost audience. The long term software sales, DLC, Live Subs etc are worth far more than a small margin on the upfront cost of the console.

Hexer06

Exactly. And MS is not stupid, they know people looking for the extra power are willing to pay a high price, but.....600 bucks high? Naw!

That would be a pretty cool way of doing things. Reveal the system, name and release date and end the show with the price. Not sure i'd like it though, i'll be waiting for that damn price all show long then, haha..

I was thinking the exact same thing, lol. However, if they don't release price until the end of show, then pre-orders can't go up until after the end of the show. Which means I don't have to cycle between E3 and spamming F5 on pages for Scorpio pre-orders. ;)

$399 or bust.

There's no RyZen, no Vega, no HBM.

I'm with you. I bought a slim because my original shorted out during a power surge and got toasted. Only thing fried outta the same surge protector that the PS4, WiiU, and TV were plugged into luckily. Anyway, I bought a slim when I originally had intentions of replacing the original with a Scorpio upon release. If it's over 399 though, I'll probably hold off for a price drop. Hell I'll probably at least hold off until I hear 1080p TV options in concrete since I'm content with my 1080 set.

anothertech

I think it's possible they get it down to 499 since they basically kept the jag.

I would not be shocked if they reveal it at 599, and continue the 'premium' talk. Look at the current price of the 2tb Xbox one. This is MS after all.

AmyS

I'm with you. I bought a slim because my original shorted out during a power surge and got toasted. Only thing fried outta the same surge protector that the PS4, WiiU, and TV were plugged into luckily. Anyway, I bought a slim when I originally had intentions of replacing the original with a Scorpio upon release. If it's over 399 though, I'll probably hold off for a price drop. Hell I'll probably at least hold off until I hear 1080p TV options in concrete since I'm content with my 1080 set.

* $399 would be good for the industry and everyone. Microsoft can afford to give Scorpio a near mass market price. It may get Sony to internally commit to a PS5 for late 2019.

* $499 will be a tough sell. A year later than PS4 Pro, $100 more with only 40% more graphics power. Sony could then ride the rest of the generation on PS4/PS4 Pro and not need a PS5 until Fall 2020 at the soonest.
Microsoft knows $500 consoles don't sell well (cheapest launch price for a PS3 in 2006, the original Xbox One in 2013)

* $599 would make Scorpio DoA.

-hadouken

Microsoft knows $500 consoles don't sell well.
Yeah but this is a bit different. In the past the $500 mark was a barrier to entry for the lower end of the market. This time they have a premium system (that serves as a halo for the brand) and a low end system to sell simultaneously. I think we'll see at least one sku that sells for $499.

Yoday

I have yet to see a single piece of evidence or reasoning that makes any sense of a higher than $399 price for a 1TB model. I'd be shocked if it cost more than $100 extra to build over the One S.

AmyS

Yeah but this is a bit different. In the past the $500 mark was a barrier to entry for the lower end of the market. This time they have a premium system (that serves as a halo for the brand) and a low end system to sell simultaneously. I think we'll see at least one sku that sells for $499.

I'd be fine with two SKUs, at $499 and $399 with the difference being HDD size and some extra's for a launch edition.

I have yet to see a single piece of evidence or reasoning that makes any sense of a higher than $399 price for a 1TB model. I'd be shocked if it cost more than $100 extra to build over the One S.

100% this.

pachuco

So what does forward compatible mean.. When an new Xbox generation comes out, I can still play it with the Scorpio? Really buying this if true instead of an gaming pc.. game changer

I would also like to know this. It seems like forward compatibility just means that it has some forward thinking capacity to play games in the future.

If we take this at the most literal then it should be able to play stuff that will come out for the next large hardware/software iteration; basically the Xbox 4 (If we think of OG Xbox as 1, Xbox 360 as 2, Xbox One as 3).

Hopefully, Microsoft with their stupid naming convention might be at the perfect point to call the Scorpio The Xbox and keep making these incremental steps forward like a Steam Box turning the Xbox into a platform instead of putting out a new large leap every few years.

If these last two points are true then that is where the forward compatibility comes from but it might just be trendy sales speak.

emjot

Still expecting a post on Xbox Wire + media coverage before E3 on the console and pricing to get it out of the way of the games at the Xbox briefing on stage.

Frostman

I'm still expecting £349.99 ($399.99). One thing I am interested in is if Scorpio supports a wider range of resolutions and monitors. 1440p? Widescreen?

I'm definitely not getting my hopes up, considering the Pro doesn't, but it would be fantastic.

Ushay

With Polaris and heavily customised Jaguar in there I'm not expecting this to exceed $499 in price. Positive MS picked those parts and worked their magic on them for a good reason..price.

The only costly parts in there may be the cooler since the GPU is highly overclocked. Perhaps the SSD/HDD too.

349 is.. how do you say? A pipe dream

I'm still expecting £349.99. One thing I am interested in is if Scorpio supports a wider range of resolutions and monitors. 1440p? Widescreen?

I'm definitely not getting my hopes up, considering the Pro doesn't, but it would be fantastic.

It's still a console. Made to be as simple as possible. It'll support TV resolutions, which are widescreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom