• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

Unlike Sony, MS seems open to the idea of content being exclusively made for the Scorpio from the get-go. It makes sense, the gulf between the Scorpio and the Xbox One is pretty large compared to the PS4 and Neo, or the PS4 and Scorpio for that matter.

Their strategy seems different too. Neo is an extension of the PS4 and Sony probably plans to move this tick tock approach for future systems, whereas MS plans to go the Apple way and unify all W10 platforms while letting developers choose what they want to support.

They said no exclusives.

Theonik

You're probably thinking of the mistake Shannon Loftis made.
That's probably it though we'll see how things develop in practice. If Oculus comes to the Xbox One I expect that to be Scorpio exclusive for example. MS seems to be contradicting themselves in more than one occasion while avoiding explicitly denying anything. I guess they learned after the Xbox One backlash

e-gamer

That's probably it though we'll see how things develop in practice. If Oculus comes to the Xbox One I expect that to be Scorpio exclusive for example. MS seems to be contradicting themselves in more than one occasion while avoiding explicitly denying anything. I guess they learned after the Xbox One backlash

So what's the problem? Who expends U$ 599+ on a VR device probably doesn't want to play older games on a worst resolution so exclusive content is expected.

Journey

Banned
They said no exclusives.

VR is a different category though, Xbox One is not a VR device, you buy an Occulous rift and that in itself is its own platform that you can play on your PC, but when Scorpio is around, you'll have an additional option. That does not apply to Xbox One's ecosystem.

SOR5

Ok. So do you think Xbone is going to be VR compatible? Because Phil also said he thinks this gen isn't powerful enough for VR.

It seems most likely that Oculus is making a deal with MS for VR. That won't be Xbone compatible.

Again, the mixed messaging from MS.

I can see a lot of people getting pissed about that very quote you used when MS announces VR for Scorpio but not Xbone.

Well that wasnt really my argument at all, my argument was that Xbox One accessories will work on any future Xbox.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How relevant can we expect the launch Xbox One and Scorpio to be when "Xbox Two" gets released? The power of the Scorpio can`t obviously be used to perfection as it is tied to the launch consoles, but what happens when the generation after the Scorpio gets released? Will the Scorpio lose it`s ties to the launch consoles, and become the "weaker" version of "Xbox Two"?

With PS4 Pro now official, it will be interesting to see in 12 months time what that means for Scorpio.

MS have already come out saying this will be the most powerful console. And, based on what they shared at E3, it certainly would seem that way.

The Scorpio launch price will be the biggest challenge. With the power they claim will be under the hood, getting the price anywhere below $400 will be tough.

Heretic

With PS4 Pro now official, it will be interesting to see in 12 months time what that means for Scorpio.

MS have already come out saying this will be the most powerful console. And, based on what they shared at E3, it certainly would seem that way.

The Scorpio launch price will be the biggest challenge. With the power they claim will be under the hood, getting the price anywhere below $400 will be tough.

$399 or bust.

I rather they price it at 499 if it's a meaningful update. Remember nobody is forced to update to these consoles. So surprising that Sony held back with the PS4 pro.

guek

Banned

I'm more curious over how MS reacts if the PS4 Pro crashes and burns. Of course, if it's at least a respectable success, they'll likely still go as currently forecasted. But if the Pro is a dud?

RoKKeR

The good news for MS is that they have a hell of a lot of time to carefully craft their messaging and policies for the Scorpio in the wake of the Pro. Look at what does and does not resonate with people, and tailor the marketing accordingly.

They need to focus on telling people why they should upgrade to Scorpio - something Sony only did a little bit of.

Leflus

I'm more curious over how MS reacts if the PS4 Pro crashes and burns. Of course, if it's at least a respectable success, they'll likely still go as currently forecasted. But if the Pro is a dud?
Market it as a new generational leap and hope for the best.

timlot

Banned
Confirms my thinking when Microsoft boldly let their competition know, a year and half in advance, that they were building a 6TF system. They already knew what GPU Sony ordered from AMD for PS4 Pro and that spec was locked. How else could they say on that E3 stage that Scorpio would be the "Most Powerful Console Ever" 18 months out. Holiday 2017 is a long ways away though. Microsoft needs to drop monthly info to keep the fans engaged and aware of what they have coming in the future.

bidguy

Banned
Confirms my thinking when Microsoft boldly let their competition know, a year and half in advance, that they were building a 6TF system. They already knew what GPU Sony ordered from AMD for PS4 Pro and that spec was locked. How else could they say on that E3 stage that Scorpio would be the "Most Powerful Console Ever" 18 months out. Holiday 2017 is a long ways away though. Microsoft needs to drop monthly info to keep the fans engaged and aware of what they have coming in the future.

yea i feel like some news would be good right about now. havent even heard of devkits

Of course they did. These companies know exactly what the other is up to long before we hear anything through leaks etc.

etta

my hard graphic balls
$499 and it's dead in the water. The Xbox One S will be $250 or less by then. Even $449 is too much when PS4 Pro can drop to $349 next Black Friday.
$399 or gg.

How else could they say on that E3 stage that Scorpio would be the "Most Powerful Console Ever" 18 months out. Holiday 2017 is a long ways away though.

What?

It would be foolish for them to release a console a year later that wasn't more powerful than the pro. So it was quite obvious.

RoKKeR

Isn't it significantly more powerful than the Pro?

Depends on how you define significantly... it has a 6 TF GPU vs. the 4.2 TF on Neo. Other specs remain to be seen. Of course, it also has an extra year in the oven, so you have to imagine that production costs will come down in that time.

Snaku

Banned
Microsoft needs to drop monthly info to keep the fans engaged and aware of what they have coming in the future.

So the PlayStation 2 strategy? So many of my friends and acquaintances refused to buy a Dreamcast because Sony kept that PS2 drip feed going.

Xbox One being so weak works in their favor because the jump will be more significant.

Everything except for Forza and Gears 4 and non-taxing games are 900p or less.

jelly

$499 and it's dead in the water. The Xbox One S will be $250 or less by then. Even $449 is too much when PS4 Pro can drop to $349 next Black Friday.
$399 or gg.

Yeah

Xbox One S $249-199
Xbox Scorpio $399

Just wait until Penello takes the stage to unveil it. Hype.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It also has a full year on it. If Scorpio released this year with 6TF I would expect it at $499-$529 maybe. A year buys them $100 off, and the other $30 I assume they will eat.

Zedox

I think that they'll hit the $399 otherwise they will lose once again. I personally won't want the Scorpio because I need a 4K HDR TV (and I need a 70" or more) to get most of the advantages of it. I think next year will be the year of NX for me. :) And I'm glad since I missed out on good games for the Wii U, so I'll hopefully be able to get that cheap enough to play the games by then.

What will be really interesting to me is the naming of the Xbox One. Will it be Xbox One Pro (as I've said before...but I still think Xbox 4) or something else?

Tonky

I think that they'll hit the $399 otherwise they will lose once again. I personally won't want the Scorpio because I need a 4K HDR TV (and I need a 70" or more) to get most of the advantages of it. I think next year will be the year of NX for me. :) And I'm glad since I missed out on good games for the Wii U, so I'll hopefully be able to get that cheap enough to play the games by then.

What will be really interesting to me is the naming of the Xbox One. Will it be Xbox One Pro (as I've said before...but I still think Xbox 4) or something else?
As several others have already stated, Microsoft will be looking to distance themselves from the "One" brand as much as they can.

Journey

Banned
Depends on how you define significantly... it has a 6 TF GPU vs. the 4.2 TF on Neo. Other specs remain to be seen. Of course, it also has an extra year in the oven, so you have to imagine that production costs will come down in that time.

It can happen, we've seen it before. A full year can mean better parts for the same price.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Yea, but it's also coming out a full year after the Pro. At the same time, I have reservations that they'll be able to hit that $399 price point without taking an absolute bath on it.

Sydle

I wonder if they were hoping Neo would be $499.

NEW Xbox One S
j/k

I think it will be Xbox One Ultra.

As several others have already stated, Microsoft will be looking to distance themselves from the "One" brand as much as they can.

I have doubts about that since Spencer explicitly said it was joining the Xbox One family of devices.

What will they lose?

They lost last time due to screwing up and mix messaging. People are happy to pay top dollar for a console with great specs.

They not happy to pay top dollar for a console that was trying to ban used games, force Kinect and significantly less powerful than the rival. Which is what happened with the Xbox one. The Xbox one wasn't worth it compared to a PS4 three years ago.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I rather they price it at 499 if it's a meaningful update. Remember nobody is forced to update to these consoles. So surprising that Sony held back with the PS4 pro.

Pretty much this. If I wanted a 1080/30 console for 399.99 I would buy a Pro. I want a real CPU to go with these GPU upgrades. A Zen Vega combo would allow 1080/60 in 80% or more of games.

it has to hit 399 imo for any chance that I'm not sure it even has . It will be 350 by next year so even 499 unless it can do something amazing I don't think it will work

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Really hoping ms is full on pushing for bridging the gap between generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom