• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

Cant wait for Scorpio to sit beside this beast. :D

Duo beast incoming :p

20160724_140915.jpg

20160724_141015.jpg

SOR5

From AMD's quarterly financial conference call the CEO said

“Last Quarter at E3, Microsoft announced two new members of the Xbox One family, powered by AMD. The Xbox One S is the slimmest Xbox console ever, and the first to support HDR. The system is expected to go on sales in the coming weeks.

Microsoft also announced their next-generation game console code named Project Scorpio for the 217 holidays. Project Scorpio is designed to be fully compatible with existing Xbox One software, while leveraging AMD leadership gaming technology to create more immersive 4K and VR gaming experiences. Project Scorpio is one of the semi-custom design wins we communicated previously”

So AMD sees Scorpio as a next-gen leap, (even though theres not really gens anymore for Xbox)

DESTROYA

So do you guys think it's going to be the size of the Xbox one?
That was one of the many reasons I stayed away from it to begin with, way to big to fit in my entertainment center, yeah it sounds pretty lame but there isn't that much space.
If they can manage to make it the size of the S it would be wonderful.

onQ123

You realize that says exactly what they did - that they don't have to make games in 4K. They can upscale, although Sony would prefer they do that from at least a 1440p framebuffer instead of 1080p.

You're reading one part and ignoring the entirety of the rest of it to reach that conclusion.

Actually you are reading it wrong because they don't want you to upscale from 1440 & tell the devs to get in touch with them if they can't get their game running at over 3200 x 1800.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So do you guys think it's going to be the size of the Xbox one?
That was one of the many reasons I stayed away from it to begin with, way to big to fit in my entertainment center, yeah it sounds pretty lame but there isn't that much space.
If they can manage to make it the size of the S it would be wonderful.

If it's the size of the Xbox One with an INTERNAL power supply, then that is more than fine.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Xbox Scorpio is about a 5X leap from Xbox One in terms of GPU power. Unless the Zen CPU is used, this is nowhere close to a normal console generation leap (the last three Xboxes were much greater than 5X jumps between them when taking both the CPU and GPU together)

Since they share games and accessories, Scorpio is, literally, an Xbox 1.5

Orca

Actually you are reading it wrong because they don't want you to upscale from 1440 & tell the devs to get in touch with them if they can't get their game running at over 3200 x 1800.

See I knew someone could get you to admit that it doesn't say they need to be 4K or nothing. It only took half the thread to actually happen.

anothertech

Xbox Scorpio is about a 5X leap from Xbox One in terms of GPU power. Unless the Zen CPU is used, this is nowhere close to a normal console generation leap (the last three Xboxes were much greater than 5X jumps between them when taking both the CPU and GPU together)

Since they share games and accessories, Scorpio is, literally, an Xbox 1.5
I don't think anyone but a deluded few think of this as a generational leap. Neo and Scorpio are the first mid gen consoles we've had tho so it's a bit jarring.

Sony is definitely being up front and clear about what these consoles are. Just a more powerful version of the current consoles.

The fact both MS and Sony have said these consoles will not have exclusives from their original counterparts, pretty much says it all.

PS5/xbox2 will be the true next gen. What will be interesting will be to see if Neo/Scorpio will play any scaled back versions of the true next generation games.

MilkyJoe

I don't think anyone but a deluded few think of this as a generational leap. Neo and Scorpio are the first mid gen consoles we've had tho so it's a bit jarring.

Sony is definitely being up front and clear about what these consoles are. Just a more powerful version of the current consoles.

The fact both MS and Sony have said these consoles will not have exclusives from their original counterparts, pretty much says it all.

PS5/xbox2 will be the true next gen. What will be interesting will be to see if Neo/Scorpio will play any scaled back versions of the true next generation games.

They will play the same games the post Neo /Scorpio iterations get in exactly they same way PS4 and X1 will play games on Neo and Scorpio. That's the whole point of the new model. Doing away with the customer reset.

onQ123

See I knew someone could get you to admit that it doesn't say they need to be 4K or nothing. It only took half the thread to actually happen.

Yeah something is wrong with you lol no where have I said these games needed to be 4K.

Also do you realize that 1800P is to 4K what 900P is to 1080P? It's like them telling devs on PS4 to get in touch with them if they can't get their game running at 900P. There is only a few PS4 games that's 900P

anothertech

They will play the same games the post Neo /Scorpio iterations get in exactly they same way PS4 and X1 will play games on Neo and Scorpio. That's the whole point of the new model. Doing away with the customer reset.
I assume this as well, unless there is some kind of crazy technical advancement that bars this.

But I expect Neo and Scorpio may indeed be playing ps5/xbox2 games in a similar fashion, especially if they keep the release timeframes in the 3/4 year iterations.

What is Xbone settings though?

fact is that it will be over 4TF of extra processing power to use on top of Xbox One performance/

4K look really even if it was Wii U settings so I wouldn't worry about it being Xbox One games in 4K.

In this case only 5-10% of the potential user base (4K TV owners) would benefit from the additional power, though.

SOR5

There seems to be this weird perception that Scorpio is "just" an upgraded Xbone, and THEN they'll release the Xbox 2 which will be the real brand new next gen thing and yadda yadda

The Xbone is the Xbone, Scorpio will be a significantly upgraded Xbone, Scorpio II will be a significantly upgraded Scorpio, Scorpio III will be a significantly upgraded Scorpio II and so on.

Xbone accessories and their games will be usable on an Xbox system as long as MS is in the console industry, theres no singular generation anymore (for them)

Hell, if they somehow work out OG Xbox emulation then youve got barely any generational gaps in their entire legacy of consoles, the only things missing would be OG Xbox online play, OG Xbox accessories and 360 accessories

onQ123

In this case only 5-10% of the potential user base (4K TV owners) would benefit from the additional power, though.

We don't know that much about Scorpio but if Neo is anything to go by it has already been said that 1080P TVs would benefit also so I'm sure Scorpio can do the same I doubt that they would just let 4 extra teraflops go to waste just because you are hooked up to a 1080P TV.

anothertech

There seems to be this weird perception that Scorpio is "just" an upgraded Xbone, and THEN they'll release the Xbox 2 which will be the real brand new next gen thing and yadda yadda

The Xbone is the Xbone, Scorpio will be a significantly upgraded Xbone, Scorpio II will be a significantly upgraded Scorpio, Scorpio III will be a significantly upgraded Scorpio II and so on.

Xbone accessories and their games will be usable on an Xbox system as long as MS is in the console industry, theres no singular generation anymore (for them)
Nothing has been confirmed about accessories and peripherals as far as I know.

I am going on a limb here to say, I highly doubt any VR gaming is planned for Xbone. Controllers/etc will likely also be dedicated to Scorpio and after.

Ps5/xbox2 will be a generational leap beyond ps4/Xbone though. At that point, Xbone and ps4 will indeed be left behind.

SOR5

Nothing has been confirmed about accessories and peripherals as far as I know.

Here

Games will ship with components that will take advantage of whatever hardware you’re loading them on – just like PC games have done for years. “Our commitment is to make sure every single game and every single accessory works across all of those platforms,” says Ybarra. “When we picked the silicon to go into all those devices, that’s the first question the engineering team that I’m responsible for asked themselves. Will this enable the compatibility and great games we’re promising? Can we deliver those? Everything is built from the ground up with this in mind. One game will run on the entire family of devices.

“Compatibility has always been the thing that makes console generations define themselves: when you leave one and got to the next, you give up your games, you usually give up the hardware or throw it in a closet – that’s what we want to remove. We’re focusing more on how do we deliver gaming in a boundless way to our players. We announced three platforms – today’s Xbox One, Xbox One S and Scorpio. We’re giving gamers the choice to say, ‘I want to invest in these particular games and this particular hardware, and I want those to work going forward, I don’t want to have to worry about giving that up’”.

We don't know that much about Scorpio but if Neo is anything to go by it has already been said that 1080P TVs would benefit also so I'm sure Scorpio can do the same I doubt that they would just let 4 extra teraflops go to waste just because you are hooked up to a 1080P TV.

That's my point, they can't. PS4 Neo games - for all we know - is going to improve visuals for Full-HD and 4k TV owners.

Now although Phil praised the 4k capabilities of Scorpio, it would be business suicide to offer XBOX games on Scorpio in 4k only and tell Full-HD owners their games look better too because of downsampling.

SOR5

AMD is calling Scorpio a generational leap, XB1 was 5x stronger in GPU than 360, Scorpio is 5x stronger in GPU than XB1, its really not far-fetched to call the Scorpio leap "next-gen". But in all technicalities a lot of is just refinements of its predecessor.

Kind of like everything from Windows Vista onwards (yes yes 8 is shit I agree)

MilkyJoe

That's my point, they can't. PS4 Neo games - for all we know - is going to improve visuals for Full-HD and 4k TV owners.

Now although Phil praised the 4k capabilities of Scorpio, it would be business suicide to offer XBOX games on Scorpio in 4k only and tell Full-HD owners their games look better too because of downsampling.

Once moe for the court

Phil Spencer
‏@XboxP3

@ThatDudeizEric We'll talk more about this later but we never said we'd mandate 4K framebuffer, we won't.

wapplew

Hell, if they somehow work out OG Xbox emulation then youve got barely any generational gaps in their entire legacy of consoles, the only things missing would be OG Xbox online play, OG Xbox accessories and 360 accessories

You are right, that's the "current" vision of Xbox going forward but MS is not particular famous for sticking to the plan.
Better get ready for a couple of 180s when plan not going well for them.

SOR5

You are right, that's the "current" vision of Xbox going forward but MS is not particular famous for sticking to the plan.

As long as x86 architecture is being used, there is basically no logical reason to abandon the plan. Unless theres some sort of uproar against forwards compatibility

onQ123

Again I can't speak for Scorpio but the PDF say that Neo can detect if you are on a 4K or HDTV & if you're on a HDTV it can render at 1080P so it doesn't have to be a 4K image down sampled but it does say that some devs are working on using one output mode so that they don't have to make a HDTV mode & a 4KTV mode, if they use one mode then it will be a down sample for HDTV.

MilkyJoe

What better plan is there than all your legacy games will work on the newest hardware?

wapplew

As long as x86 architecture is being used, there is basically no logical reason to abandon the plan. Unless theres some sort of uproar against forwards compatibility

Who knows? Maybe NX have some sort of special control scheme that make the world crazy again and MS want to mimic that with special control scheme of their own. Forward compatible get fucked then.
Actually, Xbox one forward compatible already get fuck halfway with VR only available on Scorpio.

Or everyone refuse to upgrade because of forward compatible, new hardware sold like shit and they need some incentive to push adoption rate, Halo 8 exclusive to Scorpio 2.

Many reasons to make MS change vision again.

What better plan is there than all your legacy games will work on the newest hardware?
Nintendo worked on that plan for many years, doesn't took them very far.

Xenoflare

I just hope Windows Phone isn't any indication. It had promises in the beginning, rescarpped itself twice and ended up being arguably worse on every iteration, while tried to salvage the platform by slapping Xbox on it's music and video services and then rebranded again.

It's funny thinking about it now since MS was trying to brach out the Xbox brand to more than a console by adding media focus since 2012, but then now it's trying to unify the brand to a Windows 10 gaming platform

I like this new approach a lot, and hopefully they'll stick to their guns this time. Personally I think this new approach has more insights rather than trying to use a successful brand to launch something that had nothing to do with said brand

wapplew

I just hope Windows Phone isn't any indication. It had promises in the beginning, rescarpped itself twice and ended up being arguably worse on every iteration, while tried to salvage the platform by slapping Xbox on it's music and video services and then rebranded again.

It's funny thinking about it now since MS was trying to brach out the Xbox brand to more than a console by adding media focus since 2012, but then now it's trying to unify the brand to a Windows 10 gaming platform

I like this new approach a lot, and hopefully they'll stick to their guns this time. Personally I think this new approach has more insights rather than trying to use a successful brand to launch something that had nothing to do with said brand

New CEO seems pretty level headed guy. So far no big change of vision under his management.

SOR5

Who knows? Maybe NX have some sort of special control scheme that make the world crazy again and MS want to mimic that with special control scheme of their own. Forward compatible get fucked then.
Actually, Xbox one forward compatible already get fuck halfway with VR only available on Scorpio.

Or everyone refuse to upgrade because of forward compatible, new hardware sold like shit and they need some incentive to push adoption rate, Halo 8 exclusive to Scorpio 2.

Many reasons to make MS change vision again.

Okay to the first one, MS and Sony arent abandoning controllers with buttons. If they ever do if i'm wrong, fair enough but ill be way gone out of this hobby fast enough to even care as soon as buttons go lol.

Second, my argument is that everythings compatible in the future (i think i got the meaning of forward compatibility wrong, i just meant something that is guaranteed to be compatible in the future) if VR is available on Scorpio that doesnt stop a copy of Halo 5 or an Xbox One Day One controller from working.

The only reason an Xbox One controller or a copy of Halo 5 will not work on the Scorpio and the things that surpass Scorpio is if they change the architecture, or as you said traditional controllers become the new floppy disk and NX has created something like brain controlled games or everything is all touchscreens

Durante

Hmm, I would put the current strategy in exactly the same words though. They are trying to use a successful business (Windows on desktop) to prop up multiple failing businesses that have distinct requirements and goals (Windows on phones and an App store).

Xenoflare

Hmm, I would put the current strategy in exactly the same words though. They are trying to use a successful business (Windows on desktop) to prop up multiple failing businesses that have distinct requirements and goals (Windows on phones and an App store).

But at least there is a common ground, Xbox and PC are both gaming platforms, Xbox music on the other hand made no sense at first glance to me.

Unifying the platform is MS's endgame it seems, and I think it is much more probable and ambitious than trying to make Xbox to a media brand, since Windows has the unprecedented space in people's lives. at least they are using Xbox's brand to something that was it's original purpose.

Edit1: Oh and I forgot, Windows 10 adoption rate is also something MS is aggressive about, Xbox One could also help in that regard seeing that it's transitioning to a Win 10 box

Edit2: with all that said, I really would like a detailed and candid interview with the people that was there when MS to make Xbox something that is not, and the eventual Xbox One debacle, and yes, Phil Spencer did something like that a while ago but I cannot help but to feel that there is more, and I'm sure Mattrick wasn't the one who is solely to blame. MS just seemed too out of touch.

Again I can't speak for Scorpio but the PDF say that Neo can detect if you are on a 4K or HDTV & if you're on a HDTV it can render at 1080P so it doesn't have to be a 4K image down sampled but it does say that some devs are working on using one output mode so that they don't have to make a HDTV mode & a 4KTV mode, if they use one mode then it will be a down sample for HDTV.

I think microsoft and Sony will use reconstruction techniques for 4k TV sets devs only focus on 1080p with 2~4x msaa with 4k TV sets they can dump all that msaa and temporal pixel data in a algorithm that will reconstruct a 4k image.

I think they can reconstruct some really clean 4k images that way. I should check out rainbow siege and quantum break soon. Once I get a more capable GPU.

Journey

Banned
AMD is calling Scorpio a generational leap, XB1 was 5x stronger in GPU than 360, Scorpio is 5x stronger in GPU than XB1, its really not far-fetched to call the Scorpio leap "next-gen". But in all technicalities a lot of is just refinements of its predecessor.

Kind of like everything from Windows Vista onwards (yes yes 8 is shit I agree)

Scorpio is a much more aggressive approach than Neo based on the info we know, but based on speculation that it may use a beefed up CPU and a boost in Total ram, then it could well be a generational leap, but not if it goes with just 8GB of total system ram and a mere clock boost for current gen Jaguar.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I assume this as well, unless there is some kind of crazy technical advancement that bars this.

But I expect Neo and Scorpio may indeed be playing ps5/xbox2 games in a similar fashion, especially if they keep the release timeframes in the 3/4 year iterations.

I expect it will work just like on the PC/Android/iOS we have all been accustomed to for quite a long time.

More so the PC for graphical scaling still running in an x86/64 environment.

I think microsoft and Sony will use reconstruction techniques for 4k TV sets devs only focus on 1080p with 2~4x msaa with 4k TV sets they can dump all that msaa and temporal pixel data in a algorithm that will reconstruct a 4k image.

I think they can reconstruct some really clean 4k images that way. I should check out rainbow siege and quantum break soon. Once I get a more capable GPU.

They will definitely have a cleaner imagine going from 1080p reconstructed to 4K since it scales evenly. 1080p already looks fantastic on a 4K TV, and pretty much native as far as a crisp picture, especially compared to 720p or even 900p scaled on a 1080p set due to that scaling advantage.

MilkyJoe

I expect it will work just like on the PC/Android/iOS we have all been accustomed to for quite a long time.

More so the PC for graphical scaling still running in an x86/64 environment.

They will definitely have a cleaner imagine going from 1080p reconstructed to 4K since it scales evenly. 1080p already looks fantastic on a 4K TV, and pretty much native as far as a crisp picture, especially compared to 720p or even 900p scaled on a 1080p set due to that scaling advantage.

This man speaks the truth, on both counts.

1080 Blu ray on a 4K looks very nice .

anothertech

Ok. So do you think Xbone is going to be VR compatible? Because Phil also said he thinks this gen isn't powerful enough for VR.

It seems most likely that Oculus is making a deal with MS for VR. That won't be Xbone compatible.

Again, the mixed messaging from MS.

I can see a lot of people getting pissed about that very quote you used when MS announces VR for Scorpio but not Xbone.

Theonik

Unlike Sony, MS seems open to the idea of content being exclusively made for the Scorpio from the get-go. It makes sense, the gulf between the Scorpio and the Xbox One is pretty large compared to the PS4 and Neo, or the PS4 and Scorpio for that matter.

Their strategy seems different too. Neo is an extension of the PS4 and Sony probably plans to move this tick tock approach for future systems, whereas MS plans to go the Apple way and unify all W10 platforms while letting developers choose what they want to support.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Unlike Sony, MS seems open to the idea of content being exclusively made for the Scorpio from the get-go. It makes sense, the gulf between the Scorpio and the Xbox One is pretty large compared to the PS4 and Neo, or the PS4 and Scorpio for that matter.

Their strategy seems different too. Neo is an extension of the PS4 and Sony probably plans to move this tick tock approach for future systems, whereas MS plans to go the Apple way and unify all W10 platforms while letting developers choose what they want to support.

Didn't they correct that and say, 'no exclusive Scorpio games'?

Their strategies are more similar than people think. And that is a unified ecosystem, just like the PC/Android/iOS platforms.

Sydle

Spencer explicitly said no Scorpio exclusives on the day of the reveal.

You're probably thinking of the mistake Shannon Loftis made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom