• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkus

Will Scorpio have ESRAM? I would avoid it like the plague if I were Microsoft, given the bad PR it got with xbox one.

RowdyReverb

With PS4 Pro now official, it will be interesting to see in 12 months time what that means for Scorpio.

MS have already come out saying this will be the most powerful console. And, based on what they shared at E3, it certainly would seem that way.

The Scorpio launch price will be the biggest challenge. With the power they claim will be under the hood, getting the price anywhere below $400 will be tough.
At least devs will be accustomed to multiple visual targets on consoles by the time Scorpio rolls around thanks to PS4P

MS needs to show games.... And games... And games...

Forza 7 is going to look amazing.

Halo 6 tease in 2017 will whet appetites.

Crimson skies in 4k.... Hey, we can dream right!

Get Rare on that. We've seen what they can do for water in Sea of Thieves, imagine that magic applied to clouds and lightning storms in 4k...

BumRush

Depending on what games are announced, I might sign up for GwG in the next couple months, despite not having a One until Scorpio.

Depending on what games are announced, I might sign up for GwG in the next couple months, despite not having a One until Scorpio.

If you're thinking of that then OG Horizon is the 360 backwards compatible GWG this month. If you've played that then I wouldn't bother as the Xbone games aren't that appealing imo.

360 BC on Scorpio should be incredible. I wonder if they would be able to add anything for the Scorpio to BC with all the additional power it'll have over the Xbox One.

Beyond making games run at a smooth 30/60fps I'm not sure what else they could do. Devs aren't going to waste time and resources going back to improve 360 games

Bsigg12

If you're thinking of that then OG Horizon is the 360 backwards compatible GWG this month. If you've played that then I wouldn't bother as the Xbone games aren't that appealing imo.

360 BC on Scorpio should be incredible. I wonder if they would be able to add anything for the Scorpio to BC with all the additional power it'll have over the Xbox One.

It's going to be 500 at least, they have already said it's going to be a premium product.

$400 not premium enough for you?

If it came out today, it would easily be $500. They have a full year of declining production costs to make sure it hits $400.

Unless they upgrade it even beyond what everyone is speculating.

CrazE

Banned
Can't wait for this to come out. The true 4K console. Thing is going to be a beast. Yesterdays Pro news just made Scorpio that much hotter.

And we still don't even know if MS is going to bump some specs up or not. Lot of time for them to work.

Yup, this is exactly what I'm thinking too. I'll still have my OG PS4 for Sony exclusives and will now gain access to the already released Xbox One's lineup in addition to the generational leap by going with Scorpio.

Me too. In contrast to when some say "I'll just get the MS exclusives on PC", I'm already thinking I can bank the OG PS4 for Sony exclusives, being that it is the more powerful of the two base models I have, then enjoy the really big leap from Xbone to Scorpio for multi-plats and MS exclusives. Sony are at a disadvantage here with me because their old product was that much better that their new one hasn't improved it enough for me to crave it in the way the Scorio will.

jelly

Will Scorpio have ESRAM? I would avoid it like the plague if I were Microsoft, given the bad PR it got with xbox one.

Doesn't GDDR5 have more bandwidth so it's a simple matter of a software trick for BC Xbox One games to work on Scorpio within the new memory choice that will probably be GDDR5 or better.

ViolentP

Can't wait for this to come out. The true 4K console. Thing is going to be a beast. Yesterdays Pro news just made Scorpio that much hotter.

And we still don't even know if MS is going to bump some specs up or not. Lot of time for them to work.

In my opinion, a true 4K device can run 4K natively at 60fps. I'd be interested to see if the Scorpio can pull that off.

c0de

Doesn't GDDR5 have more bandwidth so it's a simple matter of a software trick for BC Xbox One games to work on Scorpio within the new memory choice that will probably be GDDR5 or better.

The problem is latency - esram is very "close" to the computing units while RAM is not.
It also features different access patterns but I don't know if that is a problem.

Maybe they will throw the ESRAM in there for 'legacy' sake. Perhaps even double it to make it useful for other stuff. That would take up precious die space though.

I think most likely they will ditch it though if at all possible.

Chitown B

Depends on how you define significantly... it has a 6 TF GPU vs. the 4.2 TF on Neo. Other specs remain to be seen. Of course, it also has an extra year in the oven, so you have to imagine that production costs will come down in that time.

50% is significant. Let's not be dishonest.

If they're going to release holiday 2017 I can't imagine it being more than $399. 1 year from now the spec increase over the PS4 Pro will simply be the technical progress of a year, so if PS4P is $399 now, there's no reason to think Scorpio will be much higher.

you think 50% increase in GPU is one year of tech?

dr_rus

I think that Scorpio will have either GDDR5X or HBM2. Both will make ESRAM unnecessary unless they'll make it significantly faster than the ESRAM used on XBO.

Leyasu

Banned
Keep in mind that any game that will "showcase" Scorpio's power must also run on the OG Xbox One.

And? I can see Microsoft using external studios to port their biggest franchises for the xbone. Then the studios can go all on Scorpio

I wonder if MS will adopt their own hardware-based image reconstruction technique to achieve FauxK/60fps in certain games. They are barely going to reach 4K30fps as it is now.

Tntnico

MS has already shown Scorpio games at E3 and GamesCom, just look at the PC version of Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4

EDIT : And Universal Windows Platform is a good thing for Scorpio because games using it today will likely have a Scorpio version ready for launch.

MaulerX

6 TFLOPS won't make it to 4K in most games. Scorpio and PS4Pro are more like "better 1080p machines".

I was under the impression that RAM and bandwidth were just as if not more important for 4K. We already know the Scorpio will have the bandwidth. It will be interesting to see if they go for 12GB of RAM as well.

dr_rus

I was under the impression that RAM and bandwidth were just as if not more important for 4K. We already know the Scorpio will have the bandwidth. It will be interesting to see if they go for 12GB of RAM as well.

8GB is more than enough for 4K with XBO/PS4 quality assets.

Sydle

6 TFLOPS won't make it to 4K in most games. Scorpio and PS4Pro are more like "better 1080p machines".

There will likely be multiple modes for games like what's happening with RotTR, where you can get a native 4K image with some bells and whistles turned off. If that becomes some kind of standard then the Scorpio version should always look better.

fantomena

I expect it will in most sports games (think Madden, Forza, etc.). Other first-party titles like Halo may also hit native 4K.

Yeah, probably. Even the GTX 1080 I have which is 9 TFLOPS (I think) can't do 4k60 FPS in neither for example Doom or the BF1 beta. Maybe with a OC boost, but not in factory clock (haven't tried OC boost yet)

There will likely be multiple modes for games like what's happening with RotTR, where you can get a native 4K image with some bells and whistles turned off. If that becomes some kind of standard then the Scorpio version should always look better.

Im really wondering how they will do it with the graphic settings. Like which settings are they not gonna use. I expect no form of MSAA and probably no FXAA either.

ViolentP

I expect it will in most sports games (think Madden, Forza, etc.). Other first-party titles like Halo may also hit native 4K.

This is what I want to see. The performance of a triple-A title at native 4K. If it maintains a solid 30, I think it would be an appropriate upgrade to the Xbox One. Anything lower and it will be nothing more than a buzzword machine.

I just realized something.

What if there's marketing deals to only allow multiple graphic options (like Tomb Raider) for specific platforms?

Like what if Sony had a deal for Battlefront 2, where the Scorpio version only has the 4k benefit. Or if MS has a deal for the next Asscreed, and PS4P only has the 4k upscaling.

D:

You never know with this industry

MaulerX

8GB is more than enough for 4K with XBO/PS4 quality assets.

I agree but isn't 3GB RAM reserved for system/apps/OS? Raising it to 12GB will pretty much guarantee native 4K for most games. Not saying it's gonna happen but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Sydle

Phil Spencer stated that Scorpio hardware and software already is in production. Whats hindering them of releasing Scorpio MUCH earlier than first planned?
Would be perfect to announce an early 2017 release at the same time PS4 Pro will be release..

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-scorpio-games-and-hardware-already-in-production

He said devs are already working with hardware and on software, which likely means they're working on PC with specs that resemble target Scorpio hardware.

c5uNtUR.png

MaulerX

Phil Spencer stated that Scorpio hardware and software already is in production. Whats hindering them of releasing Scorpio MUCH earlier than first planned?
Would be perfect to announce an early 2017 release at the same time PS4 Pro will be release..

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-scorpio-games-and-hardware-already-in-production

The answer was to the question of weather they were "working" on it. Of course they're working on it. Doesn't mean it's in production already.

Zedox

MS has already shown Scorpio games at E3 and GamesCom, just look at the PC version of Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4

EDIT : And Universal Windows Platform is a good thing for Scorpio because games using it today will likely have a Scorpio version ready for launch.

Basically. I think that when Scorpio launches, all those games that are also on PC will take advantage of Scorpio and because devs already have the tools for Scorpio, they'll be ready for next year as well.

Madden in 4K. Yes please.

BigEmil

I don't see the point if Scorpio if all the exclusives are going to PC too.
On top of making better hardware PC for the same price plus free online, no need to pay the $60 a year XBL online fee with no exclusives really no point.

Zedox

On top of making better hardware PC for the same price plus free online, no need to pay the $60 a year XBL online fee with no exclusives really no point.

Not everyone is a fan of PC gaming. You may not see a point but others don't look to PCs for gaming.

Well, you may not see the point but others out there who have no interest in PC gaming (yes, there are people out there who are like this) will be. There will always be different audiences man and there will always be people who can afford to have it all.

They are just trying to reach as much people as possible, it's really that simple.

fantomena

Basically. I think that when Scorpio launches, all those games that are also on PC will take advantage of Scorpio and because devs already have the tools for Scorpio, they'll be ready for next year as well.

Madden in 4K. Yes please.

It's not healthy for PC gaming with all the restrictions it bring with it. Can't even use Nvidia control panel with UWP.

ViolentP

Well, you may not see the point but others out there who have no interest in PC gaming (yes, there are people out there who are like this) will be. There will always be different audiences man and there will always be people who can afford to have it all.

They are just trying to reach as much people as possible, it's really that simple.

Those that have both a PC and Xbox One however, I imagine would tend to lean towards the PC version. I've always thought it a risky move considering the lackluster performance of the One up till now. You would think they would drive as many sales towards the console as they could.

Which leads me to believe they got something up their sleeve and I'd lay bets is has something to do with another level of unification between the console and the PC.

Can we stop calling 4k@30 "native 4k"? If you can't achieve 60fps MINIMUM, the resolution shouldn't be 4k.

The game could run at 1fps and still be native 4k. Calling an upscaled image 4k however, should not be allowed. I think they should explicitly say whether a title is 4k or upscaled 4k.

Can we stop calling 4k@30 "native 4k"? If you can't achieve 60fps MINIMUM, the resolution shouldn't be 4k.

Those are some pathetic standards you have.

If games don't run at an unlocked FPS that hovers above the 300's at 4k, it should absolutely not be called 4K.

Everything else is a damn stuttering slideshow.

Journey

Banned
So the PlayStation 2 strategy? So many of my friends and acquaintances refused to buy a Dreamcast because Sony kept that PS2 drip feed going.

I know it's anecdotal, but same experience here, what's crazy is how amazed they were with Soul Calibur, yet instead of giving the Dreamcast credit, their reaction was "OMG, can you imagine how much better PS2 is going to look?"

The drip can be effective, even more so if DF and pixel counters start picking apart Pro games, and you better believe MS will showcase a new Forza running at true 4K <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom