• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Raises Price of 6-month Gold Sub to $59.99 (Up: Policy reversed, prices to stay the same)

driqe

NEW PATCH NOTES: Gold to Gamepass Ultimate exploit possibly nerfed? ( NOT CONFIRMED )

Edit: someone test this out pls I'm stacked on 3yrs already lol

Last edited:

XXL

Random reddit photo= facts now

Got it. Forgot what forum I was on for a sec.

Big Brother Lol GIF by MOODMAN

JackMcGunns

I bet this was done to stop people from creating new accounts, buying 3 years of Gold, then upgrading to Ultimate for $1 dollar.

This won't affect existing XBL Gold memebers.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
NEW PATCH NOTES: Gold to Gamepass Ultimate exploit possibly nerfed? ( NOT CONFIRMED )

Edit: someone test this out pls I'm stacked on 3yrs already lol

If you already have GPU you cant stack gold ontop of it for the same amount of months. Its always been that way.

The first time you do the conversion is the only time it would take the same amount of months you had of gold and transfer it into GPU.

ethomaz

Banned
I bet this was done to stop people from creating new accounts, buying 3 years of Gold, then upgrading to Ultimate for $1 dollar.

This won't affect existing XBL Gold memebers.

Edit - Old subs continue paying the old price with auto renew.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

How this not affect existing XBL Gold member? Your next renew will be in the new price.

Did I read it wrong? I read it as only new users get the price hike. :messenger_expressionless:

I still blame gamers buying 3 years to get the GPU trick for $1

GPU is the way to go anyway, but shitty for anyone not interested in GPU

Last edited:

I read that as "you're not getting charged aditionally to what you already paid for your current sub period". Once that sub expires, you'll renew at the new prices. Aka, stock up on CDKeys/cheap codes before every other Xbox fan beats you to the punch.

There is a difference to read it as: we'll charge you the same price forever as long as you stay subbed without missing a beat.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

That is a great deal to be fair.
The new 1Y card was supposed to be $99 using the same increase ratio.

PS. Don't buy 2 of these because you can only stock up to 3 years in a single account.

What about people who already have GPU, can this be converted for the $1 or will we have to wait until GPU expires again?

sainraja

Because they don't want to encourage shitty pay to win games. If I want mobile games I can use my phone. Microsoft fucked up big raising prices being a distant 2nd. Treating people who pay 69.99 lesser than those who pay to win is disgusting by Sony. They should make retail games free and pay to win behind a pay wall. It is bizarre land here people joyful Sony encouraging developers to pay to win model.
Lol, what?

Fortnite, Rogue Company, etc. are not pay to win games. They have micro-transactions that allow you to unlock cosmetic items but that is about it. And no, if they didn't want to encourage [according to you] "shitty pay to win games" they wouldn't let them release on their platform.

Now tell me, what are they trying not to encourage by raising prices of their monthly subscriptions?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I read that as "you're not getting charged aditionally to what you already paid for your current sub period". Once that sub expires, you'll renew at the new prices. Aka, stock up on CDKeys/cheap codes before every other Xbox fan beats you to the punch.
It is confuse.

At first I read that you will be asked by the current price at the renew (the price the Gold will be when it expire).
But others things it will hold the old price on renews.

What about people who already have GPU, can this be converted for the $1 or will we have to wait until GPU expires again?
I don't know how conversion works... seems like they are decreasing the conversion rate.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Because they don't want to encourage shitty pay to win games. If I want mobile games I can use my phone. Microsoft fucked up big raising prices being a distant 2nd. Treating people who pay 69.99 lesser than those who pay to win is disgusting by Sony. They should make retail games free and pay to win behind a pay wall. It is bizarre land here people joyful Sony encouraging developers to pay to win model.

If this is what Sony are doing then what's the scenario on PC?

driqe

If you are currently paying for Live and you don't miss a payment, does that mean you will keep paying $59 for 12m?

Fredrik

A RTX 3080 cost less than 7 years of Xbox Live Gold.

My whole PC will cost less than my assumed total costs on Xbox for a whole generation when adding a ”X” upgrade mid gen.

This is pure insanity.

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Lol, what?

Fortnite, Rogue Company, etc. are not pay to win games. They have micro-transactions that allow you to unlock cosmetic items but that is about it. And no, if they didn't want to encourage [according to you] "shitty pay to win games" they wouldn't let them release on their platform.

Now tell me, what are they trying not trying to encourage by raising prices of their monthly subscriptions?
They are encouraging people to buy Sony consoles. Doesn't mean Sony is not shitty treating those who paid 69.99 for a game as a second class citizen vs a pay to win player.

Naked Lunch

Im confused - is this new price active as of this moment?
If so, is it only for new xbl gold subs?
When I look at my auto-renewal (my sub ends this april 2021) - it says its $59.99 for a year, the same its always been.

My method for subbing was always finding on sale digital codes online but I guess I never turned off auto-renewal.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

It sucks without a doubt for Live Gold subscribers if they weren't auto renewing that is, the smart thing to do is to stock up on 3 years of Xbox Live subsriptions and convert that to Game Pass Ultimate, so you have at least three years for a relative cheap price and see if you like the service and if you wan't to continue your sub after those three years for 15 bucks a month. I'm a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber so for me nothing has really changed.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Im confused - is this new price active as of this moment?
If so, is it only for new xbl gold subs?
When I look at my auto-renewal (my sub ends this april 2021) - it says its $59.99 for a year, the same its always been.

My method for subbing was always finding on sale digital codes online but I guess I never turned off auto-renewal.
Jebf3aX.png

Airbus Jr

Banned
Its a really bad decision which will lead your casual audience who play Fortnite or CoD Warzone move to PC or PS4/5. Those games are entirely f2p on those platforms but will require 120bucks in a year on xbox.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm fairly certain this is just in preparation to roll Gold into standard Game Pass and make online play part of that tier. Then they will likey add extra incentives to Ultimate.

Why are people stocking up on 3 years of Xbox Live? What are you gonna do after the 3 years is over? Continue paying $120 a year or just switch platforms? Might as well just switch now so the games you purchased in those 3 years aren't locked in an ecosystem you don't even play anymore and don't have access to online.

Top Bottom