• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Raises Price of 6-month Gold Sub to $59.99 (Up: Policy reversed, prices to stay the same)

Since when have these online subscription fees ever been justified? They're not going to justify the increase just like they didn't justify the fee even existing...and people will pay it anyway.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
F2P has to be totally free now. Not just specific games. We dont have the details on Halo Infinite MP yet.

Last edited:

driqe

If you play through a game on GP, you'll need an active subscription if you want to experience it again months/years down the line. Main problem with recurring subscription, no option but to be hooked into it forever. Unless, you buy the game outright, at whatever price it is going for then.

It just becomes very expensive over time when more publishers will join in. Just look at TV/Movie space.
What? Just buy the game if it leaves gamepass or if u cancel it. The saves aren't locked to gamepass.

Loope

I've plenty of photos to prove his right about Series S sitting on shelves.

Oh all pics taken by myself too.
In Portuugal right? The land of Playstation? Where people say: I'm going to buy a playstation, even though sometimes it is a switch?

ethomaz

Banned
They removed the year option that is Still available at retailers everywhere. You'd figure those years subs would be gone since they dropped the year option from MS last year. I am not yet convinced that this is the end of the world. Nobody likes a price hike but this seems easily circumvented.
Yeap while all the cards and codes generated with the old price don't get sold out you will can buy them.
But we will reach a points that it will be impossible to find the cards/codes with the old price.

Last edited:

Loope

This is just pure business. Lock people into a rental service, dissuade them from buying games, eventually reduce the quality of discounts in games and then raise the price of the service, because people will be almost forced to pay the increase since they will realize they haven’t bought a game in three years.
You got them man. They will retreat soon.Thank god for the saviour of videogames with their 70€ price.

Loope

I've friends all across EU.
Oh me too and in Portugal , two of my friends work on Fnac and Worten.What i said absolutely happens. The mindshare is way too strong for PS here. Actually even during X360/PS3 era, there were like one row with X360 games and the rest with PS games.

sainraja

Fortnite on PS -free
Fortnite on PC -free
Fortnite on NS -free
Fortnite on XB -$120/year

ok wtf

the paywall must be getting removed right? RIGHT??
Yeah, I really don't get it. Why are they taking so long to remove the paywall from F2P games when their competitors don't do it? I know people who switched from Xbox to PlayStation because of that. I wonder how many others have done the same.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You have a batch of keys available to your retail... the keys are unique for that specific product ($60 1Y card).
While that batch of keys is not all sold the online store can sell them.
When they start to sell the new batch of keys it start the new price.

Who is talking about months? lol
The new cards reached the retail yesterday.

BTW eat that fresh crow: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/
MS took the 12 month option off their store like 8 months ago. LOL

In my experience US retailers don't handle gift/stored value cards in that way (digital or physical). Maybe in a more backwoods local. LOL

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Anyone have a list of countries this is happening to?

if it’s North America I’ll put my Xbox SX on eBay 👎

Its really a quite shitty thing to do on top of COVID and so many people scraping to get by. A company like MS doesn't need to increase prices at this time.

Last edited:

Entroyp

What happened to this?

acxIjvZ.jpg

0vUM87a.jpg

Last edited:

SSfox

Fortnite on PS -free
Fortnite on PC -free
Fortnite on NS -free
Fortnite on XB -$120/year

ok wtf

the paywall must be getting removed right? RIGHT??
I know about this but i keep forgetting that it's paid on on MS consoles, all hail to MS the Pro-Consumer... huh

Last edited:

Loope

What happened to this?

acxIjvZ.jpg
You better ask that shithead, or is he a member here?

Also i must say this is atrocious byt MS, when i had a X360 i never payed gold because a) i didn't really play online b) i don't agree with paying on top of a game to be able to play online and c) do i have to pay to have liveries on Forza? Fuck no.

This is one of the things that is wrong with online gaming, why should people pay to play online?

Last edited:

driqe

By releasing good games. This move will kill them if they don't deliver on that front. I guess they are confident enough about that.

One thing is for sure though, this news killed any hope for Sony stans that MS might release any of their games on PS5.
This seems like a very confident move. They wouldn't need to this if games were gonna be on PS right?

Still, they still have a lot to prove on the quality of their games.

If Psychonauts 2 and Halo Infinite are amazing 10/10 games will it still be justified?

Is it worth $120/year for gold to finally have some top tier exclusives?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yeah, I really don't get it. Why are they taking so long to remove the paywall from F2P games when their competitors don't do it?
Because they don't want to encourage shitty pay to win games. If I want mobile games I can use my phone. Microsoft fucked up big raising prices being a distant 2nd. Treating people who pay 69.99 lesser than those who pay to win is disgusting by Sony. They should make retail games free and pay to win behind a pay wall. It is bizarre land here people joyful Sony encouraging developers to pay to win model.

DaGwaphics

MS doesn't created more keys or cards for 1 Year since 8 months ago.
When retailers ends their keys/cards it won't exists anymore.
Retailers never bought an 8 month supply of keys, again not how it works in the US. MS was still letting retail purchase these. Everyone would have known the moment the email went out that these keys couldn't be purchased at retail, plus store employees would have scooped up what was left to flip on ebay. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
Yeap while all the cards and codes generated with the old price don't get sold out you will can buy them.
But we will reach a points that it will be impossible to find the cards/codes with the old price.
When do you estimate that will happen sir? I do appreciate you making the point that the 6 month subscription did not double in price.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I was going to try and track down a XsX but now I'll just stick with PS5 and PC. I hope Sony doesn't follow suit. $120 for access to the online services and some "free" older games throughout the year doesn't sound like a good value proposition to me at all.

GHG

Gold Member
Now that there is an official announcement, retailers will take these down shortly I would assume. Grab one while you can if you aren't on GP.

If the retailers have bought a number of keys already then then won't be taken down. They will just sell them until the stock they have runs out.

I remember on GAF a few months back when all the talk was of Gold going free. It's relatively obvious that Gamepass has something to do with this news. Try and prevent people getting their Ultimate sub with the upgrade offer at a fraction of the price and make the Ultimate yearly sub look even better value with the price increase for Gold too. 2 birds with one stone. Well played Microsoft :messenger_ok:

SSfox

Wait it's 60 per 6 months??? i though it was a year wtf Oh gosh MS are crazy, WTFFFFFFF i shocked, seriously!!!

Seems like a tech to force people to go gamepass ultimate (that gamepass thing that include xbox live gold), microsoft what a bunch of hyenas

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

If the retailers have bought a number of keys already then then won't be taken down. They will just sell them until the stock they have runs out.
They'll give them a set date before anything unsold would be killed. Replaced with a new code of equal dollar value, but these will be grabbed to flip anyway.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
£10.99 a month so £131.88 a year if you don’t get any deals.

I’m assuming we’re getting a similar hike in the UK and I’m expecting 12 month cards from retailers to disappear soon.

not a good look tbh and it’s done to force people to game pass.

I guess you missed the PR piece. https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

They are "strengthening the digital safety of our players" (should be standard expectation of the product).
They are "enabling new ways to share" (should be standard for a subscription product - else you're paying for the same old shit)
They are "enabling new ways to communicate and play with your friends" (they mean you're funding xCloud, even though you have to pay extra for it)
They are "delivering industry leading reliability across our network" (again, standard expectation of any product)
This shit reads like it's straight out of 2013 era Xbox. Did Don Mattress rejoin the company or something?

Top Bottom