• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scarlett – why the next Xbox is going to be huge.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/20/xbox-scarlett-next-xbox/

Looking forward, the future seems much more optimistic for Xbox One. Here are some key reasons why:

Game Pass

Game Pass is the Netflix of video games. For just $9.99 per month, you get access to a vast library of games that you can download and play until your heart’s content. Not only do you get access to a huge backlog, but Microsoft puts all its exclusives on Game Pass from day one.

Xbox Scarlett exclusives

One of the biggest criticisms levelled at Microsoft this generation is a lack of industry-leading exclusives. While the PS4 has been hitting it out of the park every year, Xbox One has lagged behind in terms of both quality and quantity. It looks like that’s something the company wants to address with Xbox Scarlett. Microsoft has been going on a huge buying spree recently, snapping up new studios all over the place.

First to market

Microsoft has already teased its next-gen family of machines, which makes it sound like there will be different versions of varying power. It also makes it sound like Xbox is well ahead of PlayStation in the race to bring out its next console.

Accessibility

Recently, Microsoft has made a big push to make sure its platform is open to as many people as possible. The Xbox Adaptive Controller might not be important to you, but it’s a potentially life-changing piece of kit for anyone who can’t use traditional input methods to control their games.

Backwards compatibility

Microsoft and Sony took two different approaches to backwards compatibility this generation and it’s clear who the winner is. Where Sony embraced streaming older games, Microsoft opened up the Xbox One to play all of your Xbox 360 games, both by digital download and by disc.

mejin

The big problem is nothing really that different Sony won't offer with the next playstation IMO

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Microsoft’s real problem is not quality, but lacking dedication to the brand like Sony has from their players.edit: stupid auto correct

Last edited:

lynux3

The big problem is nothing really that different Sony won't offer with the next playstation IMO
And really nothing that Sony isn't already offering.

GamePass? PS Now.
Exclusives? Done.
First to market? Speculation.
Accessibility? Sony does have accessibility options outside of a controller.
Backwards compatibility? Well, that's about the only thing going for Xbox.

PocoJoe

Banned
They can make the next xbox with gold&diamons, but it doesnt matter as most of The World just dont care about xbox.

Xbox may be strong/compete against Playstation at US, but many other areas are Playstation-land.

I dont know many xbox gamers in my country, and most just dont care about it as PlayStation have always given what gamers want:

Games.

I'd like Xbox to get it's groove back, but I'd also like Microsoft to continue also releasing their games on PC.

Yeah, it's having your cake and eating too, but so what?

Either way while I've been disappointed in and critical of the direction Xbox has taken in recent years, I harbor no ill will towards it as a whole and would like to see things improve.

Shmunter

One things clear. Sony has a generational leap in VR, and possibly even the next gen to themselves. It’s like 2 gaming platforms in one.

Sure it’s neiche, but it will likely garner more interest as the tech increasingly disappears into the background. And personally I like me some VR, even after 3 years.

Xbox is Not in the running for my tastes. But don’t let that take away from fans of the platform.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's big - as in a big success and in a big physical shape (like the first Xbox). I loved the first Xbox as it was so large and imposing :messenger_grinning:

GamePass? PS Now.
Exclusives? Done.
Well outside of 3rd party, Sony's matchmaking games are extremely limited in number and not the greatest quality. I don't know why Sony fans always dismiss that - like multiplayer games don't count or something. Ridicule me all you want, but Sony will never have a Halo or a Gears on it. People love to mock the xbox for only being a halo, gears, forza box, and yet those games are exactly what keep people coming back. The xbox has a pretty big fan base. Many players jumped ship with the xbox one relase fiasco, but with a proper launch this time around, I wouldn't be surprised to see many come back. New exclusives will make a big difference. Yes, Sony has them, but it will be a different ball game if Microsoft is releasing their own quality exclusives on a regular basis to counter. And don't forget BC :p

MilkyJoe

One things clear. Sony has a generational leap in VR, and possibly even the next gen to themselves. It’s like 2 gaming platforms in one.

Sure it’s neiche, but it will likely garner more interest as the tech increasingly disappears into the background. And personally I like me some VR, even after 3 years.

Xbox is Not in the running for my tastes. But don’t let that take away from fans of the platform.

Work in a bank here, read an investors letter from MS, there was talk of VR for Xbox One X, this was later retracted because they didn't think the VR was mature enough to worth bothering with this gen.

Sony are not a generation above anyone in VR, Windows Mixed reality is far ahead of PSVR mk1 . You can read a comparison here, by a PSVR owner.

lynux3

Well outside of 3rd party, Sony's matchmaking games are extremely limited in number and not the greatest quality. I don't know why Sony fans always dismiss that - like multiplayer games don't count or something. Ridicule me all you want, but Sony will never have a Halo or a Gears on it. People love to mock the xbox for only being a halo, gears, forza box, and yet those games are exactly what keep people coming back. The xbox has a pretty big fan base. Many players jumped ship with the xbox one relase fiasco, but with a proper launch this time around, I wouldn't be surprised to see many come back. New exclusives will make a big difference. Yes, Sony has them, but it will be a different ball game if Microsoft is releasing their own quality exclusives on a regular basis to counter. And don't forget BC :p
No need to ridicule. The only game right now that stands out (to me) for Sony's multiplayer line up is Gran Turismo Sport. As a matter of fact, the FIA certified GT Sport Championship just concluded a couple of days ago. The reality is, is that Sony doesn't need to worry about multiplayer games, they rely on their 3rd party partners for that and it's working out very nicely.

Note: I didn't forget about backwards compatibility. It's in my list. ;)

Shmunter

Work in a bank here, read an investors letter from MS, there was talk of VR for Xbox One X, this was later retracted because they didn't think the VR was mature enough to worth bothering with this gen.

Sony are not a generation above anyone in VR, Windows Mixed reality is far ahead of PSVR mk1 . You can read a comparison here, by a PSVR owner.

Well I’m not quite sure that translates directly into the gaming space, after all there is also a legacy of games Sony would draw learnings from. Either way, let’s hope the new Xbox embraces VR also. The more competition and variety, the better.

Shmunter

No need to ridicule. The only game right now that stands out (to me) for Sony's multiplayer line up is Gran Turismo Sport. As a matter of fact, the FIA certified GT Sport Championship just concluded a couple of days ago. The reality is, is that Sony doesn't need to worry about multiplayer games, they rely on their 3rd party partners for that and it's working out very nicely.

Note: I didn't forget about backwards compatibility. It's in my list. ;)

In all fairness, Sony is not totally removed from Multiplayer, Last Of Us, Uncharted, Killzone.

The issue lies in having a Multiplayer breakout title is almost impossible in such a crowded market, dominated by 3rd parties in particular.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Well I’m not quite sure that translates directly into the gaming space, after all there is also a legacy of games Sony would draw learnings from. Either way, let’s hope the new Xbox embraces VR also. The more competition and variety, the better.

I think they will, especially with outsourcing the hardware to Samsung etc.

lynux3

You're forgetting that Sony is a generation ahead in software development for the PSVR platform. PlayStation VR wasn't meant to be the best piece of hardware, it was meant to be consumer friendly/affordable and easy to use. The reddit contribution means about as much as a Forbes contributor's opinion, AKA, not much.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wonder if I'll be able to play Xbox Scarlett exclusives at higher framerates on my PC instead, just like this generation?

lynux3

In all fairness, Sony is not totally removed from Multiplayer, Last Of Us, Uncharted, Killzone.

The issue lies in having a Multiplayer breakout title is almost impossible in such a crowded market, dominated by 3rd parties in particular.
I was thinking about mentioning those titles, but The Last of Us, Uncharted 4 and Killzone Shadowfall are pretty old titles by now. I'm sure there are still people playing them, but in today's multiplayer space where Battle Royale is dominating they're not much of a bullet point. :p

I'm kind of glad Sony is doing what they're doing. No reason to enter into what you already stated, a crowded market, when you got your partners to fulfill that space for you.

MilkyJoe

You're forgetting that Sony is a generation ahead in software development for the PSVR platform. PlayStation VR wasn't meant to be the best piece of hardware, it was meant to be consumer friendly/affordable and easy to use. The reddit contribution means about as much as a Forbes contributor's opinion, AKA, not much.

Maybe read the piece? If MS want to deliver VR games, i'm pretty sure that having developed WMR and AR they will do just fine

Backwards compatibility
Microsoft and Sony took two different approaches to backwards compatibility this generation and it’s clear who the winner is. Where Sony embraced streaming older games, Microsoft opened up the Xbox One to play all of your Xbox 360 games, both by digital download and by disc.

That's really stupid. Who wrote this trash? As if Sony decided not to make the PS4 compatible with completely different hardware that was notoriously hard to program for. That's like saying they decided never to include party chat on the PS3. That was actually a PSN online service limitation that made the 360 considerably easier to communicate with. It's fine to give these wins to Microsoft (and it really is great that they were able to add backwards compatibility) but it's completely stupid to act like Sony has a choice and they're just sitting on their hands.

Timdog? ....oh dear.

Hey, nothing wrong with Tim Dog.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's the new studios that have my interest piqued, especially Obsidian. The extra power in the 1X was nice for an odd niche of "people who want the best performance but won't buy a PC", and wasn't exciting for anyone who has a decent PC. An Obsidian quality RPG only available on Scarlett? That's a huge selling point.

lynux3

Maybe read the piece? If MS want to deliver VR games, i'm pretty sure that having developed WMR and AR they will do just fine
I did read it. About the only impressive thing that was mentioned are the superior specifications and tracking for the headset. The content/application/software piece was disappointing.

Thiagosc777

Seriously that people are citing VR as a major advantage? Nobody cares about it. Developers can't even figure out how to move without making you want to vomit.

MilkyJoe

I did read it. About the only impressive thing that was mentioned are the superior specifications and tracking for the headset. The content/application/software piece was disappointing.

Well at least you caught the important part. Software comes next.

But, it's all speculation whether it'll be on Scarlet at all. I'm not even sure I'm all that fussed tbh. Even if I were, I think it's the last thing you want in a house with cats.

HeresJohnny

Multiple skus will only fragment their market and confuse potential buyers away. The uninformed will assume you need to pay (the most assuredly now) $500-$600 for the premiere Xbox Scarlett, and the "family" will struggle as a result. It'll also hamper development as developers will always be coding for the lowest common denominator. Launches should be simple -- one sku, one price. Take a look at what is happening to Apple right now with the iPhone. Tim Cook has gone with a kitchen sink "family" strategy by releasing 5 different iPhone models on the market, and it's not working. They are cutting forecasts and pissing off their suppliers. I follow Apple products and even I can't remember what the hell does what -- you've got an 8, 8+, X, XS, XR all ranging from $400 to $1400 dollars. They've shit up what used to be a very simple launch -- you bought an iPhone with different memory configurations. Microsoft will regret it if they try to release the next Xbox as a family of products.

lynux3

Well at least you caught the important part. Software comes next.

But, it's all speculation whether it'll be on Scarlet at all. I'm not even sure I'm all that fussed tbh. Even if I were, I think it's the last thing you want in a house with cats.
I personally would love to see Xbox Scarlett support WMR or some other headset (Oculus, Vive). VR is a great experience and despite Microsoft backpedaling their support for it with Xbox One X, the One X would have been a great fit. I think ultimately the issue was that One X would have been the only platform to support it and since that's a pretty small userbase the effort might not have been worth it.

MilkyJoe

I personally would love to see Xbox Scarlett support WMR or some other headset (Oculus, Vive). VR is a great experience and despite Microsoft backpedaling their support for it with Xbox One X, the One X would have been a great fit. I think ultimately the issue was that One X would have been the only platform to support it and since that's a pretty small userbase the effort might not have been worth it.

You're probably right on the latter.

Mattyp

Gold Member
That's really stupid. Who wrote this trash? As if Sony decided not to make the PS4 compatible with completely different hardware that was notoriously hard to program for. That's like saying they decided never to include party chat on the PS3. That was actually a PSN online service limitation that made the 360 considerably easier to communicate with. It's fine to give these wins to Microsoft (and it really is great that they were able to add backwards compatibility) but it's completely stupid to act like Sony has a choice and they're just sitting on their hands.

I have no doubt if the Microsoft engineers had access to the backend code at Sony do they could make emulation work. As it stands Sony doesn't have the workforce capable of doing it as hard as it would be, no ones denying that.

That isn't the real issue but, it ignores the aspect they could allow PS1&PS2 emulation right now but rather resell the games again instead.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The initial statement about the future looking more optmistic is entirely fair and reasonable, but everything after is so laughably over-the-top its hard to take seriously.

GamePass is good, but ignoring PSNow in any discussion of that sort of "Netflix for games" offering is blatantly disingenuous. Sony's offering has been around for years, supports more games, and when you factor in that the monthly cost also folds in online play the price disparity is somewhat smaller than it first appears. Especially so when playing F2P titles like Fortnite still require an additional sub on Xbox.

More platform exclusives are major plus, especially when they are going to be part of the Game Pass sub, but the degree of potential benefit is unknowable because there are exclusives and there are wildly successful exclusives. The truth is that Xbox has had some good exclusives this gen, but the downside is that they mostly failed to set the market alight. Sunset Overdrive deserved to do much better for example, and titles like ReCore failed to make any sort of impression at all. Of their recent acquisitions Playground is a great buy, but have been Xbox exclusive since day 1, same deal with Undead Labs. The rest are generally studios that were in financially precarious positions due to most of their product not really meeting expectations. That might sound harsh, but its the truth.

First to market is a straight-up unknown. Sony have been ahead all generation long (first with streaming, mid-gen refresh, VR etc.) so assuming MS can simply steal a march on them at this stage is pure fantasism.

Accessibility is nice, but its about more than a controller for people with disabilities. Xbox has always suffered from being a highly US-Centric brand and as such geographic territorial accessibility has always been an issue. Playstation is a much more international brand, as evidenced by sales splits in overseas markets.

Backwards compatibility is an advantage MS has right now, Sony barely touches, and yet seems not to be a major difference maker. Assuming the next Playstation won't offer compatibility with PS4 seems at-odds with Sony's recent patent findings and given that would arm them with the slew of exclusives that have kept them ahead of the pack all this gen... Simply put, any advantage they have now will most likely be diluted in the future, and old software keeps getting older and less broadly desirable anyway.

Bottom line; most of those are excellent reasons for Xbox fans to feel good now. But the assertion that this means "the next Xbox is going to be huge" is entirely unsupported by the points raised.

Ar¢tos

I have no doubt if the Microsoft engineers had access to the backend code at Sony do they could make emulation work. As it stands Sony doesn't have the workforce capable of doing it as hard as it would be, no ones denying that.

That isn't the real issue but, it ignores the aspect they could allow PS1&PS2 emulation right now but rather resell the games again instead.
It's impossible to have ps3 emulation on the Ps4 at decent Framerate, if at all.
Not even God could work that miracle out. I guess MS engineers are above God...

Blam

You can say that Sony has made too many commitments with VR and that they are holding all of the market share, but you're forgetting that Microsoft created a open platform for VR with their MR Headsets, and those are open to any manufacturer to create for, and it isn't locked down to Xbox it can be used freely on any platform. So having the R&D dropped off to other people greatly reduces costs, and the New Xbox headset will no doubt have VR games and those games will be compatible with their headsets. No need for cameras or sensors they have a single working headset which is plug and play.

I mean shit the Mixed Reality Headset framework is built into Windows 10. So it's not even an update away.

Backwards Compatibility will not happen with the PS5. Plain and simple. They haven't figured out PS3 emulation, nor good PS2 emulation. Microsoft played their cards right and now their games will literally run on any system no matter the hardware. Windows is very backwards compatible and MS is just taking from the Windows Team with Xbox. plus PS Now's selection is pretty trash compared to Game Pass which blows Now out of the water.

Accessibility options once again Microsoft is basically got that field in their hands, and Sony only has 3rd party shit to push out nothing in house.

Best part about Game Pass if it does come with streaming, you'd be able to play Scarlett games on any XBox device going forward.

Who knows maybe Microsofts last vision of runnning the XBox 360 dashboard on a browser might become true.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
I agree with the OP somewhat. I do think next gen Xbox is going to be a serious contender, in a way that the current Xbox is not.

However, I think the difference will be due to one factor alone -- exclusives. The other factors mentioned are already present this gen (e.g., Game Pass, BC), so you can't logically say they'll make a huge difference next gen. His third point ("first to market") is silly, because there is no way he can know that.

Having better exclusives, though, will tip the scales. That has been the major point in Sony's favor, for the past 3 years. If they can neutralize that advantage, they'll be making serious progress.

BANGS

Banned
Game Pass
The competition also has this or something like it. I agree this is the best option for now but let's not pretend things can't change...

Xbox Scarlett exclusives
If there's one thing history has taught us, it's that Microsoft throwing money around doesn't often lead to great/successful products. This is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" sorta things...

First to market
This is a valid point...

Accessibility
While this is a great thing for gaming in general, let's be honest it's not going to be a huge boost in userbase...

Backwards compatibility
Another valid point, but a far less important one. Who's gonna buy the new console just to play old games when there will be a cheaper option in the XboxOne to do the same thing? Again, this will only be a small boost in the userbase...

So basically while everything you listed is great and all, none of it points directly to success. The exclusives are the biggest thing and we really need to start seeing them before it has a positive effect...

Last edited:

Yeah, the only thing that would entice me to get another 9th-gen console would be if PS4's VR is really good. PSVR is great but I want to see the next step up. Microsoft is more interested in my subscription revenue and that's fine if that's the audience they want.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You are missing the point. Making VR games is hard. Having a 3-4 year head start is just super important. Plus, who's to say VR games won't be backwards compatible for the PS5 and PSVR2?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
honestly i'd just like to see a more even distribution of the player base between microsoft and sony. the industry isn't interesting when theres one dominant and one lackluster company. i just want to see both companies be successful and a healthy competition.

MilkyJoe

You are missing the point. Making VR games is hard. Having a 3-4 year head start is just super important. Plus, who's to say VR games won't be backwards compatible for the PS5 and PSVR2?

It's a good job companies are allowed to put out job adverts requesting new employees with desired skill sets, to work on new projects.

Aintitcool

Banned
I don't want to be a hater, but there is possibility MS will pull out of the console market and cancel scarlet. Xbox One is not doing nearly as well. A new console could do even worse. MS management could change. But yeah hopefully not as competition is good.

Thiagosc777

but there is possibility MS will pull out of the console market

37b.jpg

Blam

I wish they did.
The beauty of contracts. All 360 games were only contracted to work with 360 and that's all and were not published to be a Xbox One title, that why they need the permission to void the original contract they made.

WaterAstro

The only thing that matters is if the new studio acquisitions will actually produce games that compete.

All of Microsoft's previous studio acquisition, ones which are more high profile, and the exception of Mojang who was already a moneymaker, have completely floundered or shut down. Not even just gaming, Microsoft expensive acquisitions, like Nokia, had completely botched. History does not favour Microsoft's chances of having a new, successful first party studio.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member

GamePass? PS Now.
Exclusives? Done.

PSNow is not gamepass. For a long time it was only streaming, they’ve recently or soon will offer downloads of ps4 titles, not BC titles, because the ps4 doesnt run them through emulation. Lastly, ALL MS first party exclusives will be on gamepass DAY 1.

Anf you summed up BC, its a non contest.

BANGS

Banned
I don't want to be a hater, but there is possibility MS will pull out of the console market and cancel scarlet. Xbox One is not doing nearly as well. A new console could do even worse. MS management could change. But yeah hopefully not as competition is good.
This is very doubtful, but I understand the logic behind it. Since they clearly aren't interested in differentiating between xbox and windows/steam, they might as well just back another console while making games for windows. But things might change if they actually learn what the terms "exclusive" and "plays best on" actually mean... in which case they very well should stay in the console space...

Top Bottom