• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S render their home UIs in 1080p, SDR

The PS5 buries functions and features under layers of menus. I would rather have ease of use over something being nice to look at. But if I had what I wanted I would rather get both. Make it nice to look at and easy to use. Sony menus have been cumbersome for the past 2 generations.
I thought I was the only one who felt this way! It is so hard to find things on the PS5. I was trying to adjust headset audio and I has to dig through the system menu to find it. Took me 10 minutes to get voice comms only on my headphones.

I still can't tell my XSX UI isn't in 4k and I guess I don't care. As long as the games are running at that resolution I'm good. I also love that the Xbox UI gets regular updates. MS was criticised for not updating their UI but they just did it over the entire lifetime of the Xbox1. Sony just does one major update when a system launches and that's it. I prefer the way MS does it.

KingT731

I thought I was the only one who felt this way! It is so hard to find things on the PS5. I was trying to adjust headset audio and I has to dig through the system menu to find it. Took me 10 minutes to get voice comms only on my headphones.

I still can't tell my XSX UI isn't in 4k and I guess I don't care. As long as the games are running at that resolution I'm good. I also love that the Xbox UI gets regular updates. MS was criticised for not updating their UI but they just did it over the entire lifetime of the Xbox1. Sony just does one major update when a system launches and that's it. I prefer the way MS does it.
That's wild because you only have to tap the PS button and go to audio

That's wild because you only have to tap the PS button and go to audio
First place I tried and couldn't find it. I had to ask the guys I was playing with and they told me to dig in the system menu where I was able to find the mixer. Things like this are easier to do on the XSX.

Mahavastu

might be a silly question but why isnt the UI made up of vector images so it scales perfectly?
because a lot of it is images for the games, and these can not scale so easily.
Of course, the rest (text, icons) should be no problem to be in 4k

Jigga117

They never said that. They said "they would look at it", which is a non-commit to shut up criticism. It does look blurry as f*ck on my XSX on a LG OLED 65" TV, I would take a 4k UI over this one any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.
Something wrong with your set up aint nothing blurry with my Series X on both my 77C9 and 55C9
mFDnADH.jpg

sR2BW0j.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, because SHORTLY pressing one button (ps button), then go to audio and adjust things takes 10 minutes?

By digging system menu just shows that you havent even read instructions/followed introduction thing.

If moron cant fit round block into square hole, is it morons fault or blocks fault?

Sony menus are really simple and easy to use, people just dont use damn logic or think what they are doing.

From ps-button quick menu you can adjust most stuff that is needed to be adjusted.

Do you even own PS5? you clearly havent owned PS4 as it had literally the same logic for quick menu to adjust volume + other stuff.

Also I find it out ironic as people whom complain about Playstation menus say xbox menus are good. xbox UI looks like 90's web page without ad-blocker

Also you claim that it is easier to set on xbox. On this video it clearly takes more button presses to get to audio icon on bottom + there isnt even setting for "chat only to headset" unless one of those sliders do it.

Stop lying.

Last edited:
teh flops

people can it doesn't mean anything, but I do love how seamless and pretty the PS5 UI is

I want mah folders tho

As a UX executive who owns both...

I'd like to see someone finally break out of the rectangles and squares UI design popularized by Netflix. PS5 did...kind of. It's a hybrid. Sometimes it works well and other times it does not. The XBox team made no attempt to reinvent their experience but made some great improvements.

Mr Moose

First place I tried and couldn't find it. I had to ask the guys I was playing with and they told me to dig in the system menu where I was able to find the mixer. Things like this are easier to do on the XSX.
20201217163103.jpg

If Sound isn't showing on that lower bar thing, click the options button to customize.

As a UX executive who owns both...

I'd like to see someone finally break out of the rectangles and squares UI design popularized by Netflix. PS5 did...kind of. It's a hybrid. Sometimes it works well and other times it does not. The XBox team made no attempt to reinvent their experience but made some great improvements.

The Xbox One X UI was abhorrent to me. Glad the XSX is better.

I agree I effing hate tiles. So much. Waste of space and non-intuitive.

By digging system menu just shows that you havent even read instructions/followed introduction thing.

If moron cant fit round block into square hole, is it morons fault or blocks fault?

1) you are super angry for some reason. these are inanimate objects. they don't need you to defend them so vigorously.

2) millions of people are going to use their PS5 on Christmas morning without reading instructions. the further we are from release date the more casuals are going to be able to obtain the system. It should be ready to use OUT OF THE BOX. the average gamer is not your average gaf'er

3) Products that don't need to be assembled largely don't include instructions anymore (beyond a tiny card or two) because the expectation is that they are intuitive.

4) I have both. Sony has tried to do some interesting things mixing the PS4 style menus + a Card UI. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

5) In the UX and design world It's NEVER the users fault. PERIOD.

Last edited:
1) you are super angry for some reason. these are inanimate objects. they don't need you to defend them so vigorously.

2) millions of people are going to use their PS5 on Christmas morning without reading instructions. the further we are from release date the more casuals are going to be able to obtain the system. It should be ready to use OUT OF THE BOX. the average gamer is not your average gaf'er

3) Products that don't need to be assembled largely don't include instructions anymore (beyond a tiny card or two) because the expectation is that they are intuitive.

4) I have both. Sony has tried to do some interesting things mixing the PS4 style menus + a Card UI. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

5) In the UX and design world It's NEVER the users fault. PERIOD.

I agree, they are bizarrely angry about this but come on, 10 minutes to find how to adjust the volume? It is like two button presses away, the menu doesn't even take you out of what you're doing. It can't get much easier than that. That's a user issue, not a UI issue.

Brute

Why argue about this shit? It’s like being back at school.

The PS5 has a better UI. The Series X is a better console and looks better too.

Series X has Gamepass. PS5 has better exclusives.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Fredrik

Honestly I don't really see how a native 4K dashboard vs an upscaled dashboard would improve the overall experience. Is anyone really going to be like "man, look at the detail in these tiles! They are so crisp and clear from my couch 2 meters away! I could play this dashboard all day!"
lol me neither, I don’t even need 4K in games, only way I know a game is 4K on my 65 inch TV 3 meters away is because the TV says so at the corner when it gets a 4K input 🙃

Honestly I don't really see how a native 4K dashboard vs an upscaled dashboard would improve the overall experience. Is anyone really going to be like "man, look at the detail in these tiles! They are so crisp and clear from my couch 2 meters away! I could play this dashboard all day!"

What about all of the game images and promo videos in the store? Also each installed game on PS5 has promo art that looks very slick.

lol me neither, I don’t even need 4K in games, only way I know a game is 4K on my 65 inch TV 3 meters away is because the TV says so at the corner when it gets a 4K input 🙃

Sounds like you have the right console for your needs

Certinty

Why argue about this shit? It’s like being back at school.

The PS5 has a better UI. The Series X is a better console and looks better too.

Series X has Gamepass. PS5 has better exclusives.
PS5 has a better UI? Hahahahaha it’s April fools already!

Does Xbox still have ads? Always made it feel so tacky and American. Especially the fast food ones Christ talk about stereotypes.

Hawk269

Dammit I Thought there was a patch update or something.

This is what you're bragging about?

Series X Quality Mode:
Eo9Cs-9XUAEa_Dk

PC:
Eo9Cs--XEAAPrhy

Protip: All console versions are shit.
lmao...such a stupid post using a screen shot that was bugged. I have the game on PC, PS5 and Series X and I played that scene on Series X and it looks identical to the PC one. There is a bug that appears at random where the lighting gets bonked but corrects itself almost immediately. I have had this happen on PC as well. This screen shot comparison is bullshit since that is a known bug that can happen on all platforms, but luckily dissapears almost immediately.

For the record, the Series X version in both Performance and Quality mode are a lot better than the PS5 version...moreso the Quality mode. No fanboy'sm, just facts. Again, these consoles are using BC mode and the real judgement will be when both get the true Next Gen patch.

lmao...such a stupid post using a screen shot that was bugged. I have the game on PC, PS5 and Series X and I played that scene on Series X and it looks identical to the PC one. There is a bug that appears at random where the lighting gets bonked but corrects itself almost immediately. I have had this happen on PC as well. This screen shot comparison is bullshit since that is a known bug that can happen on all platforms, but luckily dissapears almost immediately.

For the record, the Series X version in both Performance and Quality mode are a lot better than the PS5 version...moreso the Quality mode. No fanboy'sm, just facts. Again, these consoles are using BC mode and the real judgement will be when both get the true Next Gen patch.

lmao...such a stupid post using a screen shot that was bugged.

^^^
When you're emotionally attached to a specific platform and lash out on a gaming message board.

Sorry:

For the record, the Series X version in both Performance and Quality mode are a lot better than the PS5 version...moreso the Quality mode. No fanboy'sm, just facts.

When you have to go out of your way to point out you're not a fanboy even though you're stating 'facts'? Yup, you're a fanboy.

I suggest people take a more impartial look for themselves instead. I believe they'll arrive at a different conclusion (for your sake I suggest you don't watch beyond the 12:43 mark as it might be unsettling for you)

ethomaz

Banned
Curious.

Jez "Windows Central" Cohen and Tom Warrior said it will be fixed before launch... that didn't happen?

Krisprolls

Banned
Why are xbox fans getting upset over this, even if ur happy with 1080p, surly everyone can agree it would be better in 4k, unless u think xsx can't handle a 4k ui that is fast and stable lol. Hell they can even have a option as u guys seem to prefer 1080p over 4k for some reason.

Same reason why they don't like comparison videos these days : it makes their toy of choice look inferior.

Last edited:

Hawk269

^^^
When you're emotionally attached to a specific platform and lash out on a gaming message board.

Sorry:

When you have to go out of your way to point out you're not a fanboy even though you're stating 'facts'? Yup, you're a fanboy.

I suggest people take a more impartial look for themselves instead. I believe they'll arrive at a different conclusion (for your sake I suggest you don't watch beyond the 12:43 mark as it might be unsettling for you)

Dont they say at the end and specifically it was John that said the best recommendation is the Series X version in Quality Mode, which was about the 19 min mark when he starts talking about. He does say if you want the better framerate version the PS5 is the one to go with. I also believe this video is without the 1.04 patch.

Again, you post another shot of a known bug that also happens on the PC version as well as the PS5 and Series X version. That is not fanboy'sm that is just pointing out a fact that that image is a bug and I have seen it happen on my PS5 and well as the X and PC. You can call me a fan boy for a console if you want...that is your opinion, but I own all 3 versions and on console, right now as of the 1.04 patch the Quality Mode on Series X is the best way to experience the game...not only visually, but the other things like better lighting, 2-3 times higher pedestrians and vehicles.

While you call me a fanboy and say I am emotionally attached...you seem to be going out of your way whenever someone says the Series X version is better? Why is that? You gone to point of looking up screen shots that are bugged to use as an arguement. Seems like you need to look in the mirror....I just hope you are not nude in the mirror because that is a bug I am having in the game right now where my character is showing up nude in the mirror. lol

Last edited:
20201217163103.jpg

If Sound isn't showing on that lower bar thing, click the options button to customize.
See how the chat balance is greyed out? That is what I had too. I had to dig in the system menu to fix the issue. It was way more complicated to fix on the PS5 and I never had that issue with Xbox at all.
Yeah, because SHORTLY pressing one button (ps button), then go to audio and adjust things takes 10 minutes?

Sony menus are really simple and easy to use, people just dont use damn logic or think what they are doing.

From ps-button quick menu you can adjust most stuff that is needed to be adjusted.

Do you even own PS5? you clearly havent owned PS4 as it had literally the same logic for quick menu to adjust volume + other stuff.

Also I find it out ironic as people whom complain about Playstation menus say xbox menus are good. xbox UI looks like 90's web page without ad-blocker

Also you claim that it is easier to set on xbox. On this video it clearly takes more button presses to get to audio icon on bottom + there isnt even setting for "chat only to headset" unless one of those sliders do it.

Stop lying.

Dude do you even have an Xbox? Why defend the indefensible? There is no reason for the PS5 menu to be unnecessarily complicated. I shouldn't have to go an read instructions! I didn't have to on the Xbox. It SHOULD just be a couple of easy steps and it's not. Let's not even get started with how weird their party chat system is. I am still in party chats even after I stopped talking to those people ages ago. It's not intuitive at all. I get it. You love Sony and that's cool but they aren't perfect and with their current set up I don't see them ever updating the UI so it's going to be like this for the entire generation. Like I said I just prefer they way MS handled the Xbox UI. It gets updated all the time and I appreciate that fixes can be made.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
See how the chat balance is greyed out? That is what I had too. I had to dig in the system menu to fix the issue. It was way more complicated to fix on the PS5 and I never had that issue with Xbox at all.

Dude do you even have an Xbox? Why defend the indefensible? There is no reason for the PS5 menu to be unnecessarily complicated. I shouldn't have to go an read instructions! I didn't have to on the Xbox. It SHOULD just be a couple of easy steps and it's not. Let's not even get started with how weird their party chat system is. I am still in party chats even after I stopped talking to those people ages ago. It's not intuitive at all. I get it. You love Sony and that's cool but they aren't perfect and with their current set up I don't see them ever updating the UI so it's going to be like this for the entire generation. Like I said I just prefer they way MS handled the Xbox UI. It gets updated all the time and I appreciate that fixes can be made.

Nothing prevents them from updating the UI and yes Xbox gets some things right and better than PS5 UI (HDR calibration for example), but it also has several other areas where it is way way too marketing heavy and can be confusing (with lots of sub menus and deep nests hierarchies).

Overall PS5 UI is very sleek and fast and a bit more game centric than a marketing vector or it is that but in a way that is less in your face.

FlyyGOD

They never said that. They said "they would look at it", which is a non-commit to shut up criticism. It does look blurry as f*ck on my XSX on a LG OLED 65" TV, I would take a 4k UI over this one any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.
I have the same TV using series x and I'm not sure what settings you're using but my UI looks crystal clear.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Is anyone really even complaining about the resolution of the Xbox dashboard? Who cares? How long are you even just sitting there at the dash anyway for the 1080p "that you can hardly even notice is 1080p" to be a huge "problem"?

Last edited:

IDappa

Good for you that you think it doesn't look blurry, but I'm used to Android TV, Apple TV 4k, etc. looking sharp at 4k.
Better take back you tv and exchange it for a new one. On my 75 inch it looks sharp also..

Btw do you realise you can play games on your console and not just stare at your dashboard?.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Is anyone really even complaining about the resolution of the Xbox dashboard? Who cares? How long are you even just sitting there at the dash anyway for the 1080p "that you can hardly even notice is 1080p" to be a huge "problem"?
Not a huge problem, but it does take a bit of shine off... that and the random audio crackling sound when you enter and then exit menus (never happens in games, must be that the sound effect playback gets interrupted by a higher priority service).

oldergamer

Not a huge problem, but it does take a bit of shine off... that and the random audio crackling sound when you enter and then exit menus (never happens in games, must be that the sound effect playback gets interrupted by a higher priority service).
hmmm never heard this issue. This is likely more due to the quality of the receiver or tv speakers. ohhh actually this is likely a bug with the surround setup. depending what you have installed on your xbox, some of the software for surround is in a non final state. What do you have setup?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
hmmm never heard this issue. This is likely more due to the quality of the receiver or tv speakers. ohhh actually this is likely a bug with the surround setup. depending what you have installed on your xbox, some of the software for surround is in a non final state. What do you have setup?
I have the same setup for the XSX and the PS5 (different from PS4 Pro, Switch, and Wii U which go straight to the AVR).

XSX and PS5 (both on the latest FW) connect to the LG C9 on its latest FW with the provided HDMI 2.1 cable and for both I have no problem with 4K@60 Hz HDR at full RGB bandwidth and 4K@120 Hz with YUV 420 (or 422 need to check). The other consoles connect to the AVR directly.

The TV uses an HDMI 2.1 cable (not needed, but I got the cables after I updated the TV, so replaced some key connections a good while ago) to connect to a Denon AVR-X2300W (on its latest FW) which connects to carefully selected (thanks GAF) Q-Acoustics speakers in a 5.1 setup, selected to ensure no output impedance mismatch, using full copper core thick cables and a dedicated extra shielded cable for the LFE / subwoofer.
XSX, PS5, and the TV when I use the DV enabled Netflix, Disney+, and Prime (HDR10) apps uses HDMI ARC to output DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 bitstream audio to the AVR.

Again, this never happens on any other console ever (not on PS5 nor on the TV built-in streaming apps)... and, again, it does not even happen that frequently on the Xbox UI dashboard and I have never noticed it in games at all. I did some research and while it is not hugely widespread it happens to other people just that it is not a major issue and seems limited to the dashboard or when the system starts up (even more of a rare scenario). Issues seems to be the hand shake between XSX and the TV or some internal issue (again, not the first time I experience that kind of issue on a PC or laptop). I have not downloaded the Dolby ATMOS app on XSX (until I have either an HDMI 2.1 receiver or one with eARC I have no use for it not the speakers lol for these consoles).

Last edited:
Top Bottom