• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X hands on previews are live

NullZ3r0

Banned
Which twitching ADD smack head is bouncing between multiple games at once? The fuq is wrong with you?

Anyway, when is KUF 1 and 2 getting BC you fucking cunts? I've had the original disc for over 15 years. It's still here, waiting to fuck some shit up!
I'm constantly playing at least two games in rotation. Then I have a wife and a kid who plays their games.

I like being able to just turn the console off when I'm done and start back exactly where I left off without having to boot up the game.

tryDEATH

Some really great results from the SSD for back compatibility, some obviously better than others, but overall a very welcome addition. The one thing this has got me even more excited is the optimized games and how fast they will load.

Also for the flock of rabid Sony fans talking trash about this first reveal and how it supposedly isn't impressive, I would recommend being less cocky and arrogant, because every time you exhibited that sort of behaviour it ended up coming back and blowing your face off once Sony actually revealed what they had to offer. I would assume you would have learned that by now, but I guess you didn't and love loading bullets into the gun that will shoot you.

I don't understand Xbox sending out the Series X without any next gen games. I'm not kidding I'd be embarrassed it's becoming a joke this whole series X/s they could have at least had the Dirt 5 demo that codemasters showed on the Series S.

What are you talking about? It’s way too early for review copies to go out. Given the depth of analysing that goes on these days it would be insanity to send out unfinished software this early.

Am sure that all of the big first party backwards compatible games will get a bump in performance but I think its not fair to expect every game to get a bump

Customers aren't always fair ;) But by following your logic Machine Learning based HDR shouldn't have given all games a boost either. I am happy that that's there. I hope Sony will have it. I fear that the lack of at least an experimental DLSS for BC Games options is an indicator that MSFT's DirectML tech isn't ready for primetime yet. At least not at Nvidia DLSS2.X levels.

Tripolygon

Banned
That is where the custom HW should lighten the load and not cause such a discrepancy... something is messed up in there, quite likely something with the benchmark setup itself.
Nothing wrong with the benchmark really. I think its just a slow drive over USB 3.1 gen 1. And sustained read and write which also drops bandwidth.

Would you rather they said "watch me play this game for 6 hours before I then switch to play something else for a while. Then after that stay on the stream while i turn the console off, go away on holiday for a couple of weeks, come back, switch it on and then fire up a third game that quickly resumes"?

What? I'm not talking about the stream.
I'm constantly playing at least two games in rotation. Then I have a wife and a kid who plays their games.

I like being able to just turn the console off when I'm done and start back exactly where I left off without having to boot up the game.
Booting up a game which will take seconds anyway?

Is it worth the OS resource it will take up? Is it worth the loss to SSD space.

Zathalus

Customers aren't always fair ;) But by following your logic Machine Learning based HDR shouldn't have given all games a boost either. I am happy that that's there. I hope Sony will have it. I fear that the lack of at least an experimental DLSS for BC Games options is an indicator that MSFT's DirectML tech isn't ready for primetime yet. At least not at Nvidia DLSS2.X levels.
Apparently some Xbox One games that have no Xbox One X enhanced patch will get a 2x resolution bump on each axis. So if the game was running at 1600x900 it will run at 3200x1800 on the Series X. As discussed with Digital Foundry here. As with the BC feature, it will likely have more games added to the list as time goes on. The exact quote in the article:
But the early demos we saw look even more promising - and it is indeed the case that hints dropped in Phil Spencer's recent Series X blog post will result in selected Xbox One S titles running at higher resolutions on the new console. In fact, we saw Gears of War Ultimate Edition operating with a 2x resolution scale on both axes, taking a 1080p game all the way up to native 4K. It's an evolution of the Heutchy Method used to bring Xbox 360 720p titles up to full 4K, with often spectacular results. Crucially, the back-compat team does all the heavy lifting at the system level - game developers do not need to participate at all in the process.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Why do load times vary so much in Series X? I thought SSD was all about consistency, is it a game engine/compression thing?

Online game load times seem irrelevant BTW, more to it than the SSD in those cases.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Did anyone test Bioshock 1 and 2 via BC? On the X it ended up running at 60fps when you unlocked the framerate, so I'm curious to see how it runs on the Series X.

NullZ3r0

Banned
A common refrain from the previews is that the console is dead silent. So if you can even hear the PS5 just a little bit, people are going to freak out. Especially with its massive size.

Fake

I guess Witcher 3 will be a wonderful benchmark because the game already have 2 patches and will get the next gen version.

ZywyPL

Banned
So far so good from what I see/read, however I noticed vastly different results in the loading times in the previews, I guess Quick Resume is the key factor to get those ~10s loading times vs an ordinary cold boot, makes me wish the tech wasn't limited to just 5 titles but 10 at least. The OS cold boot time is 20s going by Grubb's video, that's a bit disappointing if you ask me, my very first ~500Mbps SATA SSD reduced my Win7 loading times to sub-10s already, and this is 5x faster drive with much faster interface and much lighter system, I knew all those "instant" buzzwords are just that, marketing buzzwords, but I was really expecting something like 6-8s. Supposedly the system is quieter than 1X, which is already pretty much dead silent other than few torturing games like RDRD2, so that's a great news, that size/for factor aren't wasted for nothing. BC seems to be enhancing only the selected titles, others don't get any res/framerate bump, maybe that's just because that's not the final system, but so far that's also a disappointing after all the hype MS build around that. Sadly there's an embargo and the previews can't tell us everything, I'm mostly interested in how the games play thanks to DLI tech in the controller, is it a noticeable difference or is it so small none of the previewers will even notice? Surround sound is also an interesting part, is there any difference between Dolby Atmos in 1X and XSX with the dedicated sound chip? I guess will will find out very soon.

Ozrimandias

Again, I have almost every Playstation console. Iv'e played only on a Sony console for the past 20 years, before that only nintendo
But only a blind (or a troll fanboy) will not see how remarkable is what Xbox has done with backward compatibility, I'm very very tempted to buy an Xbox Series X (my first Xbox console) only to play the new multiplatform games releases, the recent games on gamepass, and the classic in 4k.

Zathalus

Does it have an unlocked mode on console though?
It's not locked 4k on the Xbox One X, so the Series X should lock that. But we are getting a next-gen version so doesn't matter that much. Xbox One X also has a performance mode that is capped at 60FPS, but does not always reach it. The performance mode does scale resolution and I am not sure if that is capped. If not, then I wonder if 4k60FPS is possible.

I don't understand Xbox sending out the Series X without any next gen games. I'm not kidding I'd be embarrassed it's becoming a joke this whole series X/s they could have at least had the Dirt 5 demo that codemasters showed on the Series S.

If MS had Halo ready to go they would have got a copy of that. 3rd party people won't give a crap as they are probably still finalizing games.

onesvenus

So far so good from what I see/read, however I noticed vastly different results in the loading times in the previews, I guess Quick Resume is the key factor to get those ~10s loading times vs an ordinary cold boot, makes me wish the tech wasn't limited to just 5 titles but 10 at least. The OS cold boot time is 20s going by Grubb's video, that's a bit disappointing if you ask me, my very first ~500Mbps SATA SSD reduced my Win7 loading times to sub-10s already, and this is 5x faster drive with much faster interface and much lighter system, I knew all those "instant" buzzwords are just that, marketing buzzwords, but I was really expecting something like 6-8s. Supposedly the system is quieter than 1X, which is already pretty much dead silent other than few torturing games like RDRD2, so that's a great news, that size/for factor aren't wasted for nothing. BC seems to be enhancing only the selected titles, others don't get any res/framerate bump, maybe that's just because that's not the final system, but so far that's also a disappointing after all the hype MS build around that. Sadly there's an embargo and the previews can't tell us everything, I'm mostly interested in how the games play thanks to DLI tech in the controller, is it a noticeable difference or is it so small none of the previewers will even notice? Surround sound is also an interesting part, is there any difference between Dolby Atmos in 1X and XSX with the dedicated sound chip? I guess will will find out very soon.
This is in your keyboard, please, use it
Enter-key.jpg

Apparently some Xbox One games that have no Xbox One X enhanced patch will get a 2x resolution bump on each axis. So if the game was running at 1600x900 it will run at 3200x1800 on the Series X. As discussed with Digital Foundry here. As with the BC feature, it will likely have more games added to the list as time goes on. The exact quote in the article:

Thanks for those two quotes. I thought I had read there were early hints that a res boost might be coming for fixed res games. But those quotes are now over 6 months old, and with the Backwards compatibility embargo up i find it surprising there isn't a word about it. Looking forward to the DF Series X BC video soon.

Zathalus

Thanks for those two quotes. I thought I had read there were early hints that a res boost might be coming for fixed res games. But those quotes are now over 6 months old, and with the Backwards compatibility embargo up i find it surprising there isn't a word about it. Looking forward to the DF Series X BC video soon.
Might not be ready for launch, but I don't see why it eventually would not be possible. Series X has the horsepower to spare over the One S, and it apparently works similar to the BC feature. So hopefully games without a Xbox One X patch can get the resolution bump and HDR. That would work well for Dragon Age: Inquisition or Sunset Overdrive.

jaysius

Banned

Overhead sucks, lets hope that PS5 quote with 825GB is USABLE, and there isn't BONUS overhead besides to suck up that space.

I don't use quick resume(whatever they call sleeping the system with a game running) on my PS4 Pro because it makes noise when it's doing it sometimes, like a low hum, I don't know if this Quick Resume really does anything for me, it's great to have, but I'm guessing it's more of a features that we'll quickly forget and become ubiquitous and platform agnostic.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Which new unreleased games are the haters wanting these reviewers to show running?

Are they games that have already been shown or games that have not been shown gameplay?

Seems quite a lot to expect when neither the games are finished nor is the console that is being previewed.

This thread has done wonders for cleaning up this forum as the fanatics that are obsessed with their views are getting temporarily banned.

I would never want a echo chamber but to have a bit of civilised discussion without those angry people will be a relief.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
OK so I gotta ask:

If the Series X, being 1TB, comes with only 800GB of useable storage... what implications does that have for the Series S and its 500GB drive?
My biggest issue with the PS5 and Series X|S is the SDD space. It just isn't enough. Sure we can simply delete and reinstall as we're done with games, but I love the convenience of having all the games I'm currently playing installed all at once. Not looking forward to seeing what COD takes up this year lol

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Internal ssd and external one loads Assassin's Creed Odyssey almost at the same time. So it is a regular SSD in there. Let's see Sony's ssd.

MDSLKTR

Dark Souls III could use a bump from the 900p/30 fps it is now on Xbox. 👀
The thing is: DS3 runs at an unlocked framerate on ps4pro only so it won't benefit unless From unlocks it on xbox.
Sekiro will basically be the benchmark to test BC boost mode on both consoles.

Fake

Does it have an unlocked mode on console though?

Yes, but RED already announce a seX version of the Witcher 3, so Digital Foundry probably gonna compare Witcher 3 without patch, with patch, with pro/X patch and next gen patch.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
OK so I gotta ask:

If the Series X, being 1TB, comes with only 800GB of useable storage... what implications does that have for the Series S and its 500GB drive?

Same as every single console before it that had a HDD. The useable space is always less than what's on the box.

xion4360

My question is do I need to have Gears 5 on the ssd to achieve 120ffps. Or does the ssd just give me faster loader times??

games optimized for Series X need to be on the internal SSD or the external seagate SSD...so the answer is yes. also it has to be patched first (have the badge)

Internal ssd and external one loads Assassin's Creed Odyssey almost at the same time. So it is a regular SSD in there. Let's see Sony's ssd.

its not designed to use the SSD....good luck running a series X game off an external SSD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom