• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X input latency reduction compared to One X in Gears 5

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is great!

40% less latency at same frame rate... very impressive!
Yeah they improved the basic controller latency as well for this gen.

Not sure if they caught up to the DS4 though as Sony had better input latency last-gen, even over BT (or especially over BT somehow.)

Pallas

Wow that’s pretty incredible but it shouldn’t be too surprising! Next gen consoles are pretty impressive tech wise.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Pretty nice difference there. Considering they have said the updates will be coming to One S/X as well in terms of controller latency its all been done via software which is impressive.

Banned
to be fair tho, the One X version had really high input latency for a 60fps title.
I mostly played it on PC but the times I played on Xbox I definitely felt an unusual high amount of latency for a 60fps shooter.

so great that they optimised it now.

Pagusas

Elden Member
to be fair tho, the One X version had really high input latency for a 60fps title.
I mostly played it on PC but the times I played on Xbox I definitely felt an unusual high amount of latency for a 60fps shooter.

so great that they optimised it now.

Gears and GTA5 and RDR2 are the only games I've noticed that on (likely because i can play them all on the PC too). All of them feel sluggish and unplayable on consoles to me. Nice to see numbers that backup this

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Not sure if they caught up to the DS4 though as Sony had better input latency last-gen, even over BT (or especially over BT somehow.)
Do you know if there's an explanation somewhere about why DS4 has lower latency compared to other controllers?

If I'm not mistaken it was 10ms over BT or something like that. That's crazy.

Banned
Gears and GTA5 and RDR2 are the only games I've noticed that on (likely because i can play them all on the PC too). All of them feel sluggish and unplayable on consoles to me. Nice to see numbers that backup this

well RDR2 and GTA5 are in a WHOLE NOTHER LEAGUE... like these 2 games are fucking ridiculously bad when it comes to latency especially RDR2.

Gears 5 just feels like a 30fps game. that's all.
not terrible but not like a 60fps game should feel like.

same with Doom Eternal btw. Doom 2016 felt great, Eternal has definitely way more latency (most likely due to a quad buffer to keep the framerate stable)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do you know if there's an explanation somewhere about why DS4 has lower latency compared to other controllers?

If I'm not mistaken it was 10ms over BT or something like that. That's crazy.

hkqr7m1mfog51.jpg

8SuX62n.png

rum4H5-JbHVIM3ZNnW-lYAT32_Sohu66QrbxzHZyrGg.png

Well, maybe how they are coded or something to do with the processor/HW inside the controller. I think "Mean input lag" is the total input lag.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nice numbers. If PS4 already had better input lag than XBO and Series X has the same connection than XBO, can't wait to see the PS5 numbers, because it has Bluetooth 5.1 (way higher speed and way less latency) and USB 3.2 gen 2 (twice the speed of USB 3.1 gen 1, the one Series X has), so its games in both wired and wireless will have way less input lag than Series X.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

RDR2 lag is by design, and actually one of the few games where it works really well (although some people will argue thats not great, and its fair).

-Arcadia-

Banned
Lovely to see those coming down. For a long time, with TV processing and game post-processing, it seemed like those numbers were skyrocketing to, in some instances, a noticeably less playable game.

Hopefully game developers also seize the initiative, and prioritize responsive controls more than they have been. It’s up to all three corners, TV manufacturer, game developer, and hardware creator, to hold up their end and ensure gamers have a great experience.

Banned
the theory is that the OS was an issue
RDR2 lag is by design, and actually one of the few games where it works really well (although some people will argue thats not great, and its fair).

it is not "lag by design" this is not about the absolutely dogshit gameplay of RDR2 (aka the terrible movement mechanics and shooting mechanice)
the game has input latency, just straight up engine latency.

moving the camera while aiming shows this. the cursor/camera only reacts extremely delayed to your input.
this is not the case on PC, neither with a mouse nor a controller.

the consoles are just pushed to an extreme length with the game and Rockstar most likely implemented an aggressive form of vsync with lots of pre-buffered frames in order to smooth out dips in performance.
if you want a toggleable example of this look up the options menu in Sea of Thieves, it's the only game I know that actually gives you buffer options in game. there you can go from double buffer all the way up to quadruple buffer, the higher the smoother the framerate but also the higher the input latency.

RDR2 ist very likely using quadruple buffer

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

I do not understand what you mean? On the PC the game plays sooooo much better, esspecially in first person mode.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
These wizards are doing work.

MS better let them go crazy with their next project.
As much as I want Gears 6.

I really want them to do something completely out there and immediately start pushing UE5 beyond its limits like they did with UE4.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Fall Guys was terrible response wise, especially when jumping. The recent 60fps update improved it a bunch.

As for Rockstar, they do that to their games on purpose lol

Banned
They could have reduce Xbox One input lag if they didn't force vsync on everything.

on Xbox One many also think that the OS (GameCore) adds latency if developers aren't properly optimizing their games. maybe they also reduced the inherent latency of the OS?
also they don't force v-sync on everything? wtf?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is good to see, because these Gears games have had really horrible input lag issues. Gears 4, in particular. I'd love to have seen a comparison of that one.

They'd have enemies that zig zag toward you, and every movement you made was so far behind due to input lag that you'd have to just leave your crosshair in a spot you hoped they'd zig zag to and blast away with the shotgun.

HE1NZ

Banned
on Xbox One many also think that the OS (GameCore) adds latency if developers aren't properly optimizing their games. maybe they also reduced the inherent latency of the OS?
also they don't force v-sync on everything? wtf?
I think DF reported back in the day that Xbox One forces vsync on everything? It would explain input lag very well. 30 fps + vsync = literal hell.

Banned
I think DF reported back in the day that Xbox One forces vsync on everything? It would explain input lag very well. 30 fps + vsync = literal hell.

Xbox One X forces v-sync on every backwards compatible game (og Xbox, 360 and Xbox One games with no One X patch)
but this doesn't add any noticeable amount of input latency, it did at first but they since updated their emulation massively and fixed it.
Mirror's Edge was unplayable when it first became compatible, but now it plays very well (especially with that One X 4K HDR patch)

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
According to a simplistic viewing the xbox controller latency now has 7-30 = -23 ms latency. Ps controller was only 4 ms faster than xbox.

The improvements were in the OS not only the controller.

Unless playstation improves the os the xbox controller will now have lower latency.

To be fair though game dependant latency is the largest issue... if developers can easily ( by default?) use the new xbox controller apis it will have the lowest latency ... if not will depend on the game and other factors.

Top Bottom