• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X VR Support

Totally incorrect. Hololens is alive and kicking and on its second iteration. It has never been aimed at the consumer market yet but its still in very active development and once the tech becomes cheaper and ready for prime time you can bet they will do something with it in the gaming space. MS also have their mixed reality software support on PC built into Windows with multiple third parties making headsets. It would be extremely easy for them to include the Xbox eco system. If the market gets to the point where its ready then it will come in some form. I would also confidently say that MS has more money and staff currently invested in VR, MR and AR than Sony. Kinect is still a thing as well although has been moved out from Xbox to another division where it is still been actively developed for use in other applications than gaming. This goes to show how Microsoft are agile enough to be able to leverage any of their tech or projects in any of their other divisions if it makes sense. As long as MS are doing some development into VR, MR, AR then its not dead and could come to Xbox.

Sony don't just make VR for consoles. They have high-end headsets for movies, medical, engineering etc.

CeeJay

Sony don't just make VR for consoles. They have high-end headsets for movies, medical, engineering etc.
I didn't know that, there are dozens of articles about Hololens being used extensively and commercially in medical, engineering, science, NASA and military both in the US and also the rest of the world. When I do a search for Sony equivalents it just comes up with PSVR, so you have any links I can read?

I didn't know that, there are dozens of articles about Hololens being used extensively and commercially in medical, engineering, science, NASA and military both in the US and also the rest of the world. When I do a search for Sony equivalents it just comes up with PSVR, so you have any links I can read?

Other than Wiki, I don't im afraid. It's just stuff I see floating around online from time to time. I know Sony are big in the medical field with Visors used for medical tech.

I suppose each company has a way of making products, different to their competitors. Microsoft use the Xbox as R&D, where as Sony seem to use previous products to make new products for PlayStation, which refines the previous product.

Microsoft uses xbox as R
Sony uses PlayStation as D

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I hope that those ports are not final and that they include display port and some USB-C like on RTX cards for 3rd party solutions, which would be infinitely better than be locked to one brand of VR headset.

Reactions: GHG

CuNi

I hope that those ports are not final and that they include display port and some USB-C like on RTX cards for 3rd party solutions, which would be infinitely better than be locked to one brand of VR headset.

VirtualLink is dead thoug, so no USB-C connector. DP probably won't be added either because that's just additional hardware that barely anyone will use since most consoles are hooked up to a TV via HDMI.

I'm glad though. For me VR is mostly just a gimmick rn no matter how you spin it. HL Alyx is its first full fledged game and I feel like it will disappoint many since the only way to fully experience it is with a high resolution headset like the index and the finger tracking steam controllers which need the new lighthouse sensors and are a big yikes in price if you count all together. If we get a clearer image picture than the index has rn and all accessories like lighthouse 2.0sensors and the new controllers bundled for around 400 to 500 bucks, then I could see VR rise in popularity among consumers and devs. Until then it's still a way to expensive niche market.

Wonko_C

QE0Pejm.jpg

More devs want to make games for VR headsets than for Xbox, so I guess Phil's going to change his "not our focus as of right now" stance in a few years, then we'll see an Xbox-branded headset.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm glad though. For me VR is mostly just a gimmick rn no matter how you spin it. HL Alyx is its first full fledged game and I feel like it will disappoint many since the only way to fully experience it is with a high resolution headset like the index and the finger tracking steam controllers which need the new lighthouse sensors and are a big yikes in price if you count all together. If we get a clearer image picture than the index has rn and all accessories like lighthouse 2.0sensors and the new controllers bundled for around 400 to 500 bucks, then I could see VR rise in popularity among consumers and devs. Until then it's still a way to expensive niche market.
That's like saying you'd not enjoy a hypothetical non VR Half-Life 3 they developed instead of Alyx unless you have a Samsung 8K UHDR monitor (not to mention the PC needed to drive this natively at 144hz) and a $300 gaming mouse and equal mechanical gaming keyboard. In short, absurd and untrue. The Valve Index controllers work with the previous version of the lighthouse system, plenty old Vive users got the Index controllers alone as it's the primary worthwhile upgrade. The game is proven to be perfectly playable on lower end sets, from the mid range Oculus Rift/S down to $200 WMR kits. Alyx also isn't the first game, there are tons, from campaign based stuff like Asgard's Wrath and Stormland and Red Matter and Lone Echo and Apex Construct and The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, to the replayable session stuff like Pistol Whip and Beat Saber and The Thrill of the Fight, to multiplayer focused stuff like Echo Combat and Onward and Vox Machinae, to great ports of non-VR titles like No Man's Sky and Payday 2 and Skyrim, to cockpit stuff like DiRT Rally and IL-2 Sturmovik and Elite Dangerous, to upcoming stuff like the full blown Medal of Honor and Sniper Elite titles alongside Half-Life: Alyx, there's something good in almost every genre nowadays. Why not get informed or simply shut up outside expressing your disinterest? Nobody forces anybody to care for VR, just don't spew random casual non-gamer style ignorant bullshit while you're at it.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
QE0Pejm.jpg

More devs want to make games for VR headsets than for Xbox, so I guess Phil's going to change his "not our focus as of right now" stance in a few years, then we'll see an Xbox-branded headset.

Yep, the possibilities in VR are far beyond that of 8k or whatever other pie in the sky bullshit resolutions console manufacturers want to peddle. With a screen you are at a window looking in whereas in VR you are in the game world.

Once the setup and comfort issues are smoothed out we will see the vast majority of the naysayers converted.

Yep, at least if there's a USB C port it leaves the door open in case they change their mind at some point.

Although, all currently available WMR headsets require HDMI+USB so that's still a possibility if they want to go that route.

Heinrich

Banned
QE0Pejm.jpg

funny how you don’t show how many people and who exactly have been asked. ☺️

Wonko_C

funny how you don’t show how many people and who exactly have been asked. ☺
It was a survey of nearly 4000 developers, pretty sizable enough to see where the trend is heading.

I honestly didn't think it was necessary to post the whole thing. Here's the article, but it doesn't cover any aspect other than fueling Sony/Microsoft console wars.

I think MS will change their tune in a couple years when the time is ripe. It wasn't really feasible to do VR on Xbox One, and they certainly couldn't expect anyone to buy one just for One X user base either. Sony had the necessary controllers, larger user base and more powerful base console to utilize, and even then it was iffy. MS will keep this "nobody is asking for VR" stance for the moment, but once we transition away from next gen launch period and early crossgen titles, I fully expect them to come with some sort of VR solution for Series X, whether that be a device of their own or adopting PC headsets. Sony will likely do their PSVR2 around the same time, though they might do a smaller update to PSVR before that. It really depends on how fast the PC VR ecosystem develops, and it's definitely been slower than anticipated. I think the lack of key hardware advancements like foveated rendering and high cost are the main issues with PC VR still, but part of the solution is for next gen consoles to join the push. It'll just take time, and in the meanwhile it's still a good idea to keep building the base for the future. In that sense MS's strategy is a bit questionable though, they'll definitely be behind the curve once the next gen wave is due.

quickwhips

I think they should sell sony heads with compatibility with xbox series x. It would help sony and mkae the purchase of dual console easier. But probably no vr.

lukilladog

Then why they don´t bother making ps move controllers, psvr users have been forced to buy second hand ps3 shit for months now. I think sony has thrown the towel already (in gaming).

Alexios

Besides, Move was always a half measure retrofit from a non VR environment, PSVR2 will likely (and hopefully) employ something much more suitable and akin to modern PC VR controllers, like those patents hinted at. Edit: it says in stock clearly on that page though.

Last edited:
Then why they don´t bother making ps move controllers, psvr users have been forced to buy second hand ps3 shit for months now. I think sony has thrown the towel already (in gaming).
They had no money and needed to make vr cost effective as it was a new market.

Reusing ps3 move controllers, the screen is from old Vitas and the camera is an updated PSeye.

It was genuis how the made it work together. Proper A team shit.

skneogaf

Oculus to have a store front like EA do and the rift is supported, seems extremely simple to incorporate.

If there aren't enough usb ports or not enough bandwidth for the separate sensors then only support the rift s and quest.

I only have a standard rift but I'd still vote for this as its a win win.

Banned
They had no money and needed to make vr cost effective as it was a new market.

Reusing ps3 move controllers, the screen is from old Vitas and the camera is an updated PSeye.

It was genuis how the made it work together. Proper A team shit.

it is still the worst VR headset out there by far, exactly because of all this. and at least the first version of the box that comes with it was complete shit. not only did it nor pass through HDR, it also randomly turns the TV screen black like 2min after booting the system and it crushes the blacks.

it was honestly overpriced at launch for what it was and didn't even come with the absolutely awful move controllers either.

the tracking is bad due to the camera tech, the controllers are crap, it's super low resolution and because you only get tracked from a single camera anything where you turn even 90° to the side will result in loss of tracking for one of your hands.

after the initial wow factor it gave me (because it was the first VR headset I used aside from the Samsung Gear VR that I got free with my phone) the drawbacks and bad tech that's used quickly made it really painful to use in many games.

Last edited:

Alexios

When I checked it was saying it ships until february, now it says there is only one in stock, someone must have cancelled the order I guess.
For me it just says in stock and lets me order up to 30 and I'm in freaking Greece and it says it ships from amazon usa so idk why it says anything different for you. Either way clearly you were wrong with your statements even if locally there's some distribution issue.

Last edited:
it is still the worst VR headset out there by far, exactly because of all this. and at least the first version of the box that comes with it was complete shit. not only did it nor pass through HDR, it also randomly turns the TV screen black like 2min after booting the system and it crushes the blacks.

it was honestly overpriced at launch for what it was and didn't even come with the absolutely awful move controllers either.

the tracing is bad due to the camera tech, the controllers are crap, it's super low resolution and because you only get tracked from a single camera anything where you turn even 90° to the side will result in loss of tracing for one of your hands.

after the initial wow factor it gave me (because it was the first VR headset I used aside from the Samsung Gear VR that I got free with my phone) the drawbacks and bad tech that's used quickly made it really painful to use in many games.

It's now the one of the worst because it was one of the first on the market. While Palmer was creaming it in and Carmack was being lied to by Facebook, Sony made a headset that rivalled the rest. If it's shit nowadays then it's a testament to how far along VR has progressed.

I take my hats off to Sony. When the media was still saying they were DOA and that the PS4 wouldn't sell, they were pushing a future technology built on a shoe-string budget with shit they found lying around the office.

They tried and PSVR2 will be even better.

John117

Kinect is become Azure Kinect, Hololens is alive with Hololens 2. Microsoft has a great team behind R&D and AR/VR

lukilladog

For me it just says in stock and lets me order up to 30 and I'm in freaking Greece and it says it ships from amazon usa so idk why it says anything different for you. Either way clearly you were wrong with your statements even if locally there's some distribution issue.

Ships from usa here too and says there is only 1 in stock, you should check local game stores see if you can find it, it´s not available in newegg either.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I have both oculus and PSVR and although there are some ok games for it there still yet to be that killer game for VR. yeah there are ok games but nothing that is a MUST just yet. I think still waiting on VR is smart as its good but not amazing so far in my opinion

DaGwaphics

It wouldn't surprise me to see WMR on there. It was planned for the Xbone X but the CPU wasn't strong enough to run the calculations needed for the camera tracking and have something left for the experience. You really need an i3 or better for WMR. This would be a no risk way of adding VR. Just integrate apps that are available, if VR ever gains traction (in $$$) they are in position.

Wonko_C

the tracking is bad due to the camera tech, the controllers are crap, it's super low resolution and because you only get tracked from a single camera anything where you turn even 90° to the side will result in loss of tracking for one of your hands.

Can't argue with that. PSVR was a very hacked-together, low-risk solution Sony came up with to test the waters. I expect PSVR2 to be more tailor-made. Hoping for wireless and inside-out tracking, personally.

I still love my PSVR, though, because I know it can only get better from here on. (And the games, of course!)

Last edited:

Romulus

Can't argue with that. PSVR was a very hacked-together, low-risk solution Sony came up with to test the waters. I expect PSVR2 to be more tailor-made. Hoping for wireless and inside-out tracking, personally.

I still love my PSVR, though, because I know it can only get better from here on. (And the games, of course!)

120hz is pretty great and somewhat unexpected for psvr. When I first heard about I expected 90hz. PS5 will certainly take advantage of that considering the ceiling is 1080p, even with supersampling can see alot of games hitting 120fps ps5.

Last edited:

Alexios

Why would the ceiling be 1080p on PS5? If they want 360 degree/room scale vr (and they should want it, plus they have shown an interest for wireless and it makes less sense for just front facing standing VR) it will need a new tracking system and therefor a new HMD that's bound to be higher resolution as well, not just new controllers. It'd be funny in a bad way if next gen they fix the controllers but by not upgrading it and the tracking solution they still look last gen again by having a gimped HMD and no 360 vr vs gimped controllers this gen on a decent for the gen HMD and forward vr.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

They got the comfort factor right though, lenovo wmr sets and rift s taking after it for a reason.
That's what I've heard from VR media and youtubers. A friend of mine who tried the both my PSVR at home, and the VIVE at an arcade told me the VIVE was more comfortable to him, but he's a weirdo. :p

120hz is pretty great and somewhat unexpected for psvr. When I first heard about I expected 90hz. PS5 will certainly take advantage of that considering the ceiling is 1080p, even with supersampling can see alot of games hitting 120fps ps5.
Yep. Most PS4 games run at only 60fps, can't wait for the boost in quality especially since I don't own a Pro.

Last edited:

CuNi

That's like saying you'd not enjoy a hypothetical non VR Half-Life 3 they developed instead of Alyx unless you have a Samsung 8K UHDR monitor (not to mention the PC needed to drive this natively at 144hz) and a $300 gaming mouse and equal mechanical gaming keyboard. In short, absurd and untrue. The Valve Index controllers work with the previous version of the lighthouse system, plenty old Vive users got the Index controllers alone as it's the primary worthwhile upgrade. The game is proven to be perfectly playable on lower end sets, from the mid range Oculus Rift/S down to $200 WMR kits. Alyx also isn't the first game, there are tons, from campaign based stuff like Asgard's Wrath and Stormland and Red Matter and Lone Echo and Apex Construct and The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, to the replayable session stuff like Pistol Whip and Beat Saber and The Thrill of the Fight, to multiplayer focused stuff like Echo Combat and Onward and Vox Machinae, to great ports of non-VR titles like No Man's Sky and Payday 2 and Skyrim, to cockpit stuff like DiRT Rally and IL-2 Sturmovik and Elite Dangerous, to upcoming stuff like the full blown Medal of Honor and Sniper Elite titles alongside Half-Life: Alyx, there's something good in almost every genre nowadays. Why not get informed or simply shut up outside expressing your disinterest? Nobody forces anybody to care for VR, just don't spew random casual non-gamer style ignorant bullshit while you're at it.

Just because something runs on a given piece of hardware does not mean it's enjoyable. Go ahead and play a modern game in sub 720p. It's playable but good looking not so much.

VR mods for full fledged games is far away from being as good as a VR only game and even then many VR mods are gimmicks that some turn on for the fun but mostly don't use it to play. I played some zombie game and Beat Saber and many others. For me the driving issue is simply image quality which sucks ass. It's hard to read anything on a standard HTC vive because of its shitty resolution. Yes you can play it and yes a potato can run it. Is it fun to play? For a hour or so. Is it nice to look at? Rather not.

Last edited:
I just don't get why MS hasn't jumped on the VR bandwagon yet (as far as Xbox)?! Support of Oculus would be incredible!

I'll say one thing, I am definitely more of an Xbox guy and plan on getting Series X before PS5, but if PS5 releases with the new PSVR I may have to put Series X on hold for awhile.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'll say one thing, I am definitely more of an Xbox guy and plan on getting Series X before PS5, but if PS5 releases with the new PSVR I may have to put Series X on hold for awhile.

The new psvr wont release with PS5, but it will work with the current psvr. That probably means lots of 120fps games on the current lenses. I expect controller upgrades though, then psvr2 around 2022-23

octiny

Banned

"I don't hope it goes away - I hope it gets bigger. I hope it's something that's so important that it would be a no-brainer for us to go and support it."

VR has a long way to go before MS even considers it in the console realm.

Last edited:

Romulus

"I don't hope it goes away - I hope it gets bigger. I hope it's something that's so important that it would be a no-brainer for us to go and support it."

VR has a long way to go before MS even considers it in the console realm.

Yeah. My take as that they have they're hands full with regular console gaming as it is and they simply don't have the luxury that Sony does. Glad at least one of them does though.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Wait for Project Scorpio :messenger_winking_tongue:

"The next step change for gamers and game developers must deliver true 4k gaming and high fidelity VR" - Phil Spencer

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom