• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox showcase July 23rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is big for Xbox. They can't mess this up, it's far too important. After that disastrous launch of the One & everything that followed this generation, we've now reached a point where they've rebuilt some goodwill & people are getting excited again. Just in time for the launch of a new console. They need to show some good stuff.

I'm hopeful. They've got good studios, we've seen good stuff already (Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2, Everwild) & there's exciting rumours circulating (Fable, Perfect Dark). Looking forward to the show.
This is the most excited I've been for Xbox since E3 2013

I'm looking forward to seeing
Halo Infinite
Hellblade 2
Fable (if it's a reboot)
Everwild
Flight Sim
The Medium

Ah yes, Thursday at 9 am, prime time television. Not like anybody has work during normal work hours. Like seriously everything got cancelled including sports so you have free range to get the most views at the best times and they choose Thursday morning. Now I have to watch a dumb ass vod after doing my best of not seeing the best news on any of my social media timelines, yay 🙄

clarky

Gold Member
Ah yes, Thursday at 9 am, prime time television. Not like anybody has work during normal work hours. Like seriously everything got cancelled including sports so you have free range to get the most views at the best times and they choose Thursday morning. Now I have to watch a dumb ass vod after doing my best of not seeing the best news on any of my social media timelines, yay 🙄
There are other places in the world, just take the day........

There are other places in the world, just take the day........
Yeah seriously. Of course I'm thinking that this is just the most 1st world problem ever for me and that I probably won't take the day anyway, but damn, I just had my heart set on wanting to do nothing all weekend during E3 lol.

The Alien

Banned
All I need is to pre order it. I've made my mind up to go Xbox this gen. I'm done with PlayStation. Don't even care for the price or release date. What ever it cost or whenever it releases just let me know and I will take one.
I'd literally be fine with them taking my pre-order before they announce price. Lol.

$500? I'll pay.
$600? ...uhhhh, yeah. Still pay. Lol.

pasterpl

Please be something other than Halo, Gears and Forza. I'm so bored of seeing these franchises.

I really want something new from MS that is good and can start a new string of games so I can play them on PC.

Sony at least have diversity in their AAA games.

i agree, ms should show something beyond halo, forza and gears, but realistically, based on historical releases, there is more diversity in Xbox game studios lineup compared to Sony

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Sony's show really didnt have that "Killzone: Shadowfall moment" ironically. MS needs to show that game that shows us that next gen has arrived.

Halo: Infinite gameplay looking as good or better than the Discover Hope trailer may do that. Hellblade 2 gameplay will do that. No more excuses. I'm glad that this event seems underhyped on purpose.

Killzone Shadow Fall was a launch game for me just based on the visuals (though I had hoped at least the MP would be good).

I’m hoping Halo Infinite will be that game that just blows us away with its graphics, as it’s a for sure launch purchase for me. Or would be, if I didn’t have Gamepass.

I’m hoping for that classic Halo hype we used to get. Showing some Multiplayer would be a great bonus. Cannot wait!

Arun1910

i agree, ms should show something beyond halo, forza and gears, but realistically, based on historical releases, there is more diversity in Xbox game studios lineup compared to Sony

I wouldn't say there is quality diversity though. And like I said, good games that start a new series.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I wouldn't say there is quality diversity though. And like I said, good games that start a new series.
Maybe we should let inexile, obsidian entertainment, playground rpg studio and ninja theory get their first big AAA releases out before we shit on their quality but that is just me. I think between these studios there might be a good game or 2 just a hunch.

Arun1910

Maybe we should let inexile, obsidian entertainment, playground rpg studio and ninja theory get their first big AAA releases out before we shit on their quality but that is just me. I think between these studios there might be a good game or 2 just a hunch.

I'm not shitting on them for whats to come. I'm eager to know what they're doing, thats what my original post was about. I want to see new exciting things from MS.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Please be something other than Halo, Gears and Forza. I'm so bored of seeing these franchises.

I really want something new from MS that is good and can start a new string of games so I can play them on PC.

This isn't a ps thread but "diversity" is definitely not a word I'd use to describe ps exclusives lol. Nice joke tho, now take that to a ps thread.

OT: While my expectations haven't been high, its still very disappointing to know we won't see anything from The Initiative.

Still hoping Fable can impress and Halo is improved on.

Arun1910

This isn't a ps thread but "diversity" is definitely not a word I'd use to describe ps exclusives lol. Nice joke tho, now take that to a ps thread.

It wasn't a joke, just difference of opinions. I do genuinely believe that PS has a larger diversity of good AAA games.

Uncharted, TLoU, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man, Horizon, Days Gone, Bloodbourne are all very different games from one another and are all made to a good quality and span a lot of different genres.

Again, just my opinion. Sonys strong 1st party exclusives are why I even bother getting PS consoles, I am mainly a PC player otherwise, hence why I want MS to step up their game(s).

We only every see the holy trinity which is Forza, Gears and Halo, but for me, there is nothing else big, new or of AAA standard that comes from their studios.

I hope this changes with their new focus on 1st party exclusives because I'm a gamer for the games, not to show that I butt fuck either company.

It wasn't a joke, just difference of opinions. I do genuinely believe that PS has a larger diversity of good AAA games.

Uncharted, TLoU, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man, Horizon, Days Gone, Bloodbourne are all very different games from one another and are all made to a good quality and span a lot of different genres.

Again, just my opinion. Sonys strong 1st party exclusives are why I even bother getting PS consoles, I am mainly a PC player otherwise, hence why I want MS to step up their game(s).

We only every see the holy trinity which is Forza, Gears and Halo, but for me, there is nothing else big, new or of AAA standard that comes from their studios.

I hope this changes with their new focus on 1st party exclusives because I'm a gamer for the games, not to show that I butt fuck either company.

I agree that from what we know today, Sony have more diversity. Yes.

But MS just bought a shitload of studios, and a rumored to announce more. Do you actually believe that all of them are gonna work on Halo, Gears and forza? I mean, some common sense is also sometimes useful.

Arun1910

But MS just bought a shitload of studios, and a rumored to announce more. Do you actually believe that all of them are gonna work on Halo, Gears and forza? I mean, some common sense is also sometimes useful.

Some common sense and reading ability from you would also be useful. Especially if you could read my last sentence in that post:

"I hope this changes with their new focus on 1st party exclusives because I'm a gamer for the games, not to show that I butt fuck either company."

Last edited:
Some common sense and reading ability from you would also be useful. Especially if you could read my last sentence in that post:

"I hope this changes with their new focus on 1st party exclusives because I'm a gamer for the games, not to show that I butt fuck either company."

That changes nothing of what i said. Buying that many studios = more variety, more first party games. Theres nothing to "hope" for. Its happening. Again, Common sense.

Arun1910

That changes nothing of what i said. Buying that many studios = more variety, more first party games. Theres nothing to "hope" for. Its happening. Again, Common sense.

More games and diversity doesn't mean they will be good. Go back a few posts.

"nothing else big, new or of AAA standard that comes from their studios."

We still need to see if the titles are of AAA standard to spawn a new franchise. Some studios could be working on smaller one off titles. We don't know that yet.

More studios doesn't mean better games by default. You have to wait and see for that.

Common sense.

pr0cs

My biggest ask for Microsoft is just to show some actual gameplay. In my opinion, if they show games we know are releasing this year like Halo and Forza with just cutscenes and non-interactive footage then it's a failure. I'm simply tired of seeing trailer after trailer of game "representative footage" or "in-game" cutscenses. That was my biggest complaint about E3 2019 Xbox showcase ( I was there in person). It felt like a 90 minute long session of "preview trailers" that you would see before watching the main event.
I agree, I recall X08 (I think) where they showed Assassins' Creed being actually played and everyone was instantly excited.

Sadly though, with the loss of E3, there is MUCH less incentive for Sony, Microsoft to actually show gameplay, this is a side effect of not having to have a show floor, the excuse being "it's a prerecorded show" which seems to enable them to say "a video is a video, who cares if it's gameplay or not".

I'd like to be wrong, especially around Halo Infinite at least, that shit has been in the dark for so long, they will bore the shit out of me if it's more canned "in engine" cutscenes instead of actual gameplay.

i still think they will AT LEAST tease the initiative’s game. i dont see the point of holding it off to “match Sonys August reveals” as it has ZERO clout.

Not only does no one have a remote clue of what game they are even making, but outside of hardcore console fans no one even knows who they are. It just makes no sense to me to tout The Initiative game as an advertisement to stay tuned for the next event. just seems dumb to me.

Youd have to at least tease it while you have everyones attention. IMO theres simply no way the july 23rd ends without at least a quick snippet where it says “see more on August blah blah blah”. And the only way that even makes sense is if the game is a franchise people already care about, like Perfect Dark.

I loved Perfect Dark on the N64, as it was an improved and reskinned Goldeneye, but Halo is the big sci fi shooter at XGS. Im just not sure PD makes the most sense for MS to throw money at. Although i cant really think of any other older IPs that MS has access too that would be as compelling.

Last edited:
More games and diversity doesn't mean they will be good. Go back a few posts.

"nothing else big, new or of AAA standard that comes from their studios."

We still need to see if the titles are of AAA standard to spawn a new franchise. Some studios could be working on smaller one off titles. We don't know that yet.

More studios doesn't mean better games by default. You have to wait and see for that.

Common sense.

The fact of the matter is this, your criticisms are just like everyone elses. You get excited about Sony unoriginal sequels like TLOU2, you also get excited about a sony "showcase" where its "best" and "Biggest" games were again, all sequels (Horizon, Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank, GT) but yet you NEED some originality from MS, or else....

Fact of the matter is, youre a typical, biased Sony guy.

Arun1910

Fact of the matter is, youre a typical, biased Sony guy.

Not really, as I replied to someone else. Opinions. And I would like some new original good games from MS. It isn't hard to understand. I'm a PC gamer that wants more good AAA 1st party xbox games to play.

Also never said that the games I mentioned weren't sequels. The fact was their is more choice at the moment in Sonys area and for the 3rd time in this thread I'll say

I am LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THE NEW MS SHIFT TO FIRST PARTY TITLES AND I HOPE THEY'RE GOOD.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
While I understand them not wanting to show a game if its not ready, I can't sit here and believe the buzz surrounding The Initiatives game, and them not even even showing a 3 second tease. Hell, it could just be Jo poking her head out of some shadow, and a logo. That's ENOUGH. That would create massive buzz. A no show from this project would be an absolute miss.

i still think they will AT LEAST tease the initiative’s game. i dont see the point of holding it off to “match Sonys August reveals” as it has ZERO clout.

Not only does no one have a remote clue of what game they are even making, but outside of hardcore console fans no one even knows who they are. It just makes no sense to me to tout The Initiative game as an advertisement to stay tuned for the next event. just seems dumb to me.

Youd have to at least tease it while you have everyones attention. IMO theres simply no way the july 23rd ends without at least a quick snippet where it says “see more on August blah blah blah”. And the only way that even makes sense is if the game is a franchise people already care about, like Perfect Dark.

I loved Perfect Dark on the N64, as it was an improved and reskinned Goldeneye, but Halo is the big sci fi shooter at XGS. Im just not sure PD makes the most sense for MS to throw money at. Although i cant really think of any other older IPs that MS has access too that would be as compelling.

While I understand them not wanting to show a game if its not ready, I can't sit here and believe the buzz surrounding The Initiatives game, and them not even even showing a 3 second tease. Hell, it could just be Jo poking her head out of some shadow, and a logo. That's ENOUGH. That would create massive buzz. A no show from this project would be an absolute miss.

I have to agree. I don't think they have to show a full trailer, I think a short teaser or even just a title splash screen (a la Metroid Prime 4) would suffice. Then show it off in full at one of the other shows later this year.

Not really, as I replied to someone else. Opinions. And I would like some new original good games from MS. It isn't hard to understand. I'm a PC gamer that wants more good AAA 1st party xbox games to play.

Also never said that the games I mentioned weren't sequels. The fact was their is more choice at the moment in Sonys area and for the 3rd time in this thread I'll say

I am LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THE NEW MS SHIFT TO FIRST PARTY TITLES AND I HOPE THEY'RE GOOD.

Me too. But i think thats why MS bought renown studios instead of building them from scratch. Cause they already deliver good games and have good track records. Building studios from zero is hard and like we saw with 343, can sometime take a decade before they "get it". Although it remains to be seen with Infinite.

Im not worried about MSs first party games anymore. They have a lot of really good, creative studios. Obsidian, inXile, Double fine, Ninja Theory, all great studios.

Please be something other Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo and God of War for Sony's August event. I am so bored of seeing these franchises.

I really want something new from Sony that is good and can start a new string of games. Microsoft at least has diversity in their AAA games like Ori series, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay.

Last edited:
Havnt we seen this before? Ms buy stuidos (talented one if that) and then they do nothing im not sure how anyone can have ANY confidence in ms first party right now i mean they took rare for fucks sake and made them absolutely garbage like fucking how? If the perfect dark rumor is true my interest will be peaked for sure still going for both systems this time around ps5 first xsx probably around tax time. There's already 4 games launching on the ps5 i really want to play already just by a few short trailers. Halo,fable unfortunately do nothing for me. Wanna see more battletoads for sure and not to beat a dead ass horse but just newer big games. Games like ori and cup head are great but wheres the 10 plus hour sp games i don't fuck with mp so that sp has to be fire for me.

Havnt we seen this before? Ms buy stuidos (talented one if that) and then they do nothing im not sure how anyone can have ANY confidence in ms first party right now i mean they took rare for fucks sake and made them absolutely garbage like fucking how? If the perfect dark rumor is true my interest will be peaked for sure still going for both systems this time around ps5 first xsx probably around tax time. There's already 4 games launching on the ps5 i really want to play already just by a few short trailers. Halo,fable unfortunately do nothing for me. Wanna see more battletoads for sure and not to beat a dead ass horse but just newer big games. Games like ori and cup head are great but wheres the 10 plus hour sp games i don't fuck with mp so that sp has to be fire for me.
Rare with one of the most played games on Steam and Xbox right now is garbage?

Nice drive by dude.

Hobbygaming

The Medium gives me Quantum Break vibes in delivery and quality. Don't you fuckers dare ignore this game and let it end up like Quantum Break sales wise. QB was great and deserved better. If The Medium ends up being that same quality support it this time!
I loved Quantum Break even the last boss which a lot of people disliked

I agree that people need to support these games to send the right message

Hobbygaming

Please be something other Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo and God of War for Sony's August event. I am so bored of seeing these franchises.

I really want something new from Sony that is good and can start a new string of games. Microsoft at least has diversity in their AAA games like Ori series, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay.
What about all the other games they have coming

What about all the other games they have coming

Such as what? Spiderman ? That's nothing new. Neither is Horizon, a sequel to one of the most boring games I've ever played. Despite the games visual it's a boring game.

Out of all the games this gen on ps4 I've only enjoyed Bloodborne, God of War and Ratchet. I was just making fun of the hypocritical idiot who said Xbox only has this and that. Meanwhile, PS has been riding on same IPs for decades and no one says shit. People are dumb.

Ori series and State of Decay are not AAA games.

Ori Series has absolutely insane high quality production values buddy. Looks pretty AAA to me and is also one of the most beloved and highest rated 2D games.

MS purchased Undead Labs and they have unlimited budget. Its AAA. Get the fuck out with your shit nonsese.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Google isn't worth much more than MS if i'm not mistaken. Both companies value just surpassed the 1 trillion mark in the past year or so. The chances of that happening is as slim as MS buying Google.
Google will end up buying PlayStation before all is said and done.

Arun1910

MS purchased Undead Labs and they have unlimited budget. Its AAA. Get the fuck out with your shit nonsese.
I'm not sure this really helps your case saying that its a good AAA game. For a game with an unlimited budget it really was a steaming pile of shit game which is a pretty universal opinion.

I'm not sure this really helps your case saying that its a good AAA game. For a game with an unlimited budget it really was a steaming pile of shit game which is a pretty universal opinion.

They didnt have an unlimited budget. They had a budget, made a game that was considered more of an indie game and then MS bought them after the second one.

Not every studio have unlimited budgets just because they work for MS.

You are very uneducated and misinformed.

State of Decay 1 and 2 were developed and released BEFORE Undead Labs was purchased.

How about you look shit up before you spew bullshit around? Previously. they didn't the game has a cult following. State of Decay 3 is and going to be an unlimited budgeted game.

Last edited:

Arun1910

You are very uneducated and misinformed.

State of Decay 1 and 2 were developed and released BEFORE Undead Labs was purchased.

How about you look shit up before you spew bullshit around? Previously. they didn't the game has a cult following. State of Decay 3 is and going to be an unlimited budgeted game.

Then i look forward to it then. Good. I want better MS games. Everyone wins.

Ar¢tos

Google will end up buying PlayStation before all is said and done.
Yes... Sony will certainly sell their 2nd biggest moneymaker to Google....
*eyeroll.gif*

I hope there is Elden Ring footage in this show, or Sony August "thing".
But it's more likely with this one, if the rumored marketing deal is real.

Then i look forward to it then. Good. I want better MS games. Everyone wins.

I do as well, State of Decay 2 had a lot of good ideas and potential, but sadly we had to give the game a 6.5. It was released in a very buggy and almost unplayable state due to game-breaking bugs such as not being able to access your locker inventory in a safe house.

Yes... Sony will certainly sell their 2nd biggest moneymaker to Google....
*eyeroll.gif*

I hope there is Elden Ring footage in this show, or Sony August "thing".
But it's more likely with this one, if the rumored marketing deal is real.

You won't see Elden Ring at any Sony event, that's a Microsoft thing just like Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III and Sekiro was. I am also not sure if it will be at Xbox Games Showcase, I think this is a 1st party event only, but I could be wrong with it being 1st party only.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

You won't see Elden Ring at any Sony event, that's a Microsoft thing just like Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III and Sekiro was. I am also not sure if it will be at Xbox Games Showcase, I think this is a 1st party thing only, but I could be wrong with it being 1st party only.
They could show it in Dr. Phil show for all i care, as long as they show it!

Hobbygaming

Such as what? Spiderman ? That's nothing new. Neither is Horizon, a sequel to one of the most boring games I've ever played. Despite the games visual it's a boring game.

Out of all the games this gen on ps4 I've only enjoyed Bloodborne, God of War and Ratchet. I was just making fun of the hypocritical idiot who said Xbox only has this and that. Meanwhile, PS has been riding on same IPs for decades and no one says shit. People are dumb.
Both of them have interesting and new games coming

Returnal
Astros Playroom
Wild
Project Awakening
Sackboy
Lost Soul Aside
GT7
Project Athia
Kena

Status
Not open for further replies.