• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Troubleshoot

I'm having a problem with my 1X (and now XSX) with it not reading / recognizing my external hardrive I use for media. The drive works on pc just fine. An older different drive works and so does the drive I use for games (all are WD), just not the my primary one I wish to use. I had this problem before when I was in the preview program. So I went down a tier to a more stable version and that fixed it after needing to reset. This time, the reset didn't do anything and now after just unboxing my XSX the same thing is happening (not in preview program this time) with the same drives. Is this the update that didn't work being pushed through or is this my drive not working for some reason? Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: tried my drive through my TV and it reads / plays fine. I have a feeling this is a problem with the latest Xbox update.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
How can this be? I thought consoles were perfect and never had to deal with troubleshooting?

j/k of course but you understand the irony, right?

Is it not recognizing any hard drive? Or just this one hard drive?
Just that one. I have always used a 4 tb to house games and that works fine. My old portable drive also works fine. My new portable, does not read. I've tried different cords and ports on both xbox's. Just scanned on my pc for errors with no problems and tried updating its driver but didn't need one. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to wait until the next update.

How can this be? I thought consoles were perfect and never had to deal with troubleshooting?

j/k of course but you understand the irony, right?
Right?! Da fuck? Haha. Like most tech problems, I guess I'll just keep rebooting it until it works.

dont go down a tier, go to retail OS not just delta or whatever ring.
Going down a ring worked for a time while on my 1x then stopped working again a week or 2 later. Now, my xsx is at the default tier / not in preview program. I feel like I'm trying to backwards chase the previous version as it's moving forward and rolling out.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm having a problem with my 1X (and now XSX) with it not reading / recognizing my external hardrive I use for media. The drive works on pc just fine. An older different drive works and so does the drive I use for games (all are WD), just not the my primary one I wish to use. I had this problem before when I was in the preview program. So I went down a tier to a more stable version and that fixed it after needing to reset. This time, the reset didn't do anything and now after just unboxing my XSX the same thing is happening (not in preview program this time) with the same drives. Is this the update that didn't work being pushed through or is this my drive not working for some reason? Anyone else having this problem?
The occasional time it won't recognize my external I just unplug the external from its power source, switch the port the USB is plugged into and reconnect the power.

Hasn't failed me yet. 🤞

The occasional time it won't recognize my external I just unplug the external from its power source, switch the port the USB is plugged into and reconnect the power.

Hasn't failed me yet. 🤞
That typically works for me as well but this one is portable and doesn't need a power pack.

Top Bottom