• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox World Rumor: Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

Globox_82

Banned
The GPU is the only thing that seems like more than developers have hinted at to me over the last year. It could be a smart move though, if the smaller process and wafer size reduces heat and power requirements.

Sidenote: any rumor of current specs that lists anything other than x86 is extremely suspect. Anything mentioning non-AMD parts is also suspect. I'm sure they're going back and forth like crazy over cost right now, and that might mean the memory numbers won't be finalized til just before announcement. Which I've also heard is coming sooner than most people think, though that tidbit was based on a totally off the cuff exchange.

Geoff said that next gen games will be shown during the vgas. Any idea if around that time we here something from sony or ms?

i-Lo

Then the wiiu stuff would look even closer to current gen.

Ice cold.

Personally, I think true potential with the added FLOPS will be revealed by Nintendo's first party devs when they develop another Zelda game. Also, a Metroid game would definitely be another one to watch out for.

Anyway, I probably should stick to talking about XBawKz3

aegies

Geoff said that next gen games will be shown during the vgas. Any idea if around that time we here something from sony or ms?

I was referring to an official announcement. Also, the September release rumor is seeming more and more likely.

itsgreen

This is just another set up for disappointment... this roller coaster has already been going up and down for over 2 years, rumours that the thing will be monster, followed by rumours that it will be only 4x the performance of the 360, followed by more monster rumours, followed by more weak sauce rumours, etc etc...

Jack_AG

Banned
This is just another set up for disappointment... this roller coaster has already been going up and down for over 2 years, rumours that the thing will be monster, followed by rumours that it will be only 4x the performance of the 360, followed by more monster rumours, followed by more weak sauce rumours, etc etc...
Par for these moments in time. I personally feel that the nextbox and ps4 will both be powerful "enough" to warrant dishing out some cash but in all honesty I'm still expecting 720p @ 30fps with much better IQ.

I mean... we're not making the best use of pixel real-estate at 720 right now - there's still quite a ways to go before we can jump to making use of 720p at 60.

aegies

Announcement this year?

Early next year. It would be stupid to announce a new console while people could still return their Christmas presents. I never heard Keighley say anything about next-gen at this year's VGAs, but I can say unequivocally that publishers and developers are chomping at the bit to show next-gen products. So I expect lots of next-gen videos without platform information during the VGAs, because that's the best place to show them to the mainstream.

Will we see a real generational leap (for Durango, PS 4) or more a small leap like Nintendo is doing with their Wii consoles?

I've been told "big leap," but I mean, they're not super likely to undersell new platforms. Everybody is hoping new consoles reinvigorate excitement in the space. Industry people seem beyond annoyed that next-gen isn't here yet. I think they wanted it this christmas.

When you say next gen you aren't referring to the wiiu are you?Do you think both ps4/nextbox will be out by next year?

When publishers talk about next-gen, they're talking about the next Xbox and PS4. I think the Xbox successor will launch next year. Sony's release calendar is dead after June, and I can't remember the last time that happened. I just don't know how they can afford it.

i-Lo

Don't think anything will be announced before E3 with only a few "significant" leaks here and there prior to it. It's more appropriate to believe that if the sale of next gen consoles have been delayed due to production issues to Q1 2014.

Lab "Fable is the best" warrior and Santiago "I like my thesaurus" flores.

Ah yes, Lab's fetish of Fable and it's alleged sacredness was truly exemplary. And I'd like call Santiago, the know-it-all whose ego was too large house any doubts in his statements.

What was your name on GT?

Sid

Early next year. It would be stupid to announce a new console while people could still return their Christmas presents. I never heard Keighley say anything about next-gen at this year's VGAs, but I can say unequivocally that publishers and developers are chomping at the bit to show next-gen products. So I expect lots of next-gen videos without platform information during the VGAs, because that's the best place to show them to the mainstream.
When you say next gen you aren't referring to the wiiu are you?Do you think both ps4/nextbox will be out by next year?

itsgreen

Par for these moments in time. I personally feel that the nextbox and ps4 will both be powerful "enough" to warrant dishing out some cash but in all honesty I'm still expecting 720p @ 30fps with much better IQ.

I mean... we're not making the best use of pixel real-estate at 720 right now - there's still quite a ways to go before we can jump to making use of 720p at 60.

Well I want crystal clear images at 1080p 30fps is fine by me....

I was ready for next gen when I tried Black Ops in 3D...

I am really excited though about next gen, it is going to be a sweet ride the next 8 months with rumours and everything.

Globox_82

Banned

I've been told "big leap," but I mean, they're not super likely to undersell new platforms. Everybody is hoping new consoles reinvigorate excitement in the space. Industry people seem beyond annoyed that next-gen isn't here yet. I think they wanted it this christmas.

here, vga next gen thing
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478535
i am 99.9% sure Geoff confirmed it on twitter back then.

Sid

When publishers talk about next-gen, they're talking about the next Xbox and PS4. I think the Xbox successor will launch next year. Sony's release calendar is dead after June, and I can't remember the last time that happened. I just don't know how they can afford it.
So i guess there is a chance then,cool.

Seance

Banned
Fuck the industry, 16 core processor, 8GB GDDR5 mem, GTX 690 and all the rest. $1499.

I'd buy. Do it Microsoft, do it.

Seriously though I want this machine to be a beast, something that really communicates next-gen. I don't want hardware that sacrifices power to allow for some targeted form factor.

Fuck the industry, 16 core processor, 8GB GDDR5 mem, GTX 690 and all the rest. $1499.

Seriously though I want this machine to be a beast, something that really communicates next-gen. I don't want hardware that sacrifices power to allow for some targeted form factor.

Unfortunately that's not how business works. Buy an Uber-PC if you want that kind of insane raw power.

Still there is definitely a middle ground, and I suspect that next gen will be pretty amazing looking.

Proelite

With stacked ram, DSPs and a shitload of customized parts, they can make a small form factor console that can go toe to toe with a PC that has your listed specs.

I don't want hardware that sacrifices power to allow for some targeted form factor.
Agree 100%, main thing i want from next gen is for them to not spend one single cent or resource worrying about how the thing will look. If it takes a big, ugly console to give us the best possible console, then do it.

Worry about the looks when it's time for a hardware revision.

Agree 100%, main thing i want from next gen is for them to not spend one single cent or resource worrying about how the thing will look. If it takes a big, ugly console to give us the best possible console, then do it.

Worry about the looks when it's time for a hardware revision.

Hear hear. Make it a big white or black box the size of a big receiver if you want. It's just going to sit in the entertainment center anyway.

Cassius

I just hope Microsoft learned some important lessons from the 360.

Don't make a hard drive optional.

Let software developers know that they can utilize it, because everyone will have one.

CLEEK

I just hope MS learned some important lessons from the 360.

Don't make a hard drive optional.

Let software developers know that they can utilize it, because everyone will have one.

And, you know, do some damn QA on the hardware before shipping it.

I have zero faith in MS as a hardware company, due to the endless reliability issues with the 360. The next 12 months or so will be interesting, with the Surface and Xbox3, to see if they have learned costly lessons from the past and can start producing top tier hardware. The more complex they make the design of the next Xbox, the more chance of another hardware fiasco.

Cassius

There were issues with disc drives as well if I recall correctly.

I remember some friends having problems with their hardware chewing discs up. =X

Jack_AG

Banned
Ah yes, Lab's fetish of Fable and it's alleged sacredness was truly exemplary. And I'd like call Santiago, the know-it-all whose ego was too large house any doubts in his statements.

What was your name on GT?
I'd rather not say. I'll admit I was an idiot back in those days and have since straightened myself out - I haven't logged on GT in forever... place brought out the worst poster in me, lol.

fritolay

Neo Geo, 3DO?

KageMaru

That rumor from the xbox fanboy site sounds way too out there IMO. I do hope we see something this year at VGA though.

Wonder if MS or Sony will reveal their next gen system ahead of E3 next year so they don't have to share the spotlight.

And, you know, do some damn QA on the hardware before shipping it.

I have zero faith in MS as a hardware company, due to the endless reliability issues with the 360. The next 12 months or so will be interesting, with the Surface and Xbox3, to see if they have learned costly lessons from the past and can start producing top tier hardware. The more complex they make the design of the next Xbox, the more chance of another hardware fiasco.

You'd figure that the slim showed they learned their lesson. Sony improved after the ps2 fiasco, so I don't see why MS won't, especially after how much they lost over the RRoD fuck up.

LastNac

Isn't MS doing its own event/mini-CES next year? Couldn't that be a time to reveal something?

Sony had a Vita event, why not do a PS4 one as well. Use early 2013 to tease and E3 2013 to please.

jbug617

Banned
I think we here something from both Sony and Microsoft at GDC next year with full unveiling at E3. I think Microsoft launches first worldwide in the Fall. I think Sony might have a staggered launch (Japan first followed by Europe and US).

Isn't MS doing its own event/mini-CES next year? Couldn't that be a time to reveal something?

Sony had a Vita event, why not do a PS4 one as well. Use early 2013 to tease and E3 2013 to please.

What we know is Microsoft is done with CES keynotes.

My prediction:
1. A number of "next-gen" games being shown at the VGAs but without platform context, or they will just say Xbox 360 and PS3 but show visuals that surpass the current-gen hardware.
2. At GDC there will be MANY backdoor meetings and some data/pics could leak out. Not final production units, but further advanced dev kits.
3. At E3 or just before E3 (such as the day/week before) the final hardware will be shows.
4. This is where it gets interesting. My guess is that Microsoft will launch in November which will allow ample development time and hardware testing with Sony launching early at September or October because they want to be first to market. Of course, these could be completely swapped as Microsoft has a habit of launching new products very shortly after announcement.

tl;dr These predictions are completely made up on the spot and have no source to back them up.

Dabanton

Didn't Crytek have a Durango conference earlier this year where they were showing games made with Cryengine?

I'm going to guess one of the games we may see at the VGA's will probably be a Crytek game maybe a relaunch of Ryse?

And they are now putting on their own event around CES.

Don't think they said that. The reason they gave for giving up the CES keynote was that they wanted to be able to do their own stuff, on their own timeline and not be tied into a specific time frame do to conferences.

Setting up their own event around CES would defeat the purpose of not being tied into a specific time frame.

Didn't Crytek have a Durango conference earlier this year where they were showing games made with Cryengine?

I'm going to guess one of the games we may see at the VGA's will probably be a Crytek game maybe a relaunch of Ryse?

I think they were at a Durango conference when a Crytek employee mistakenly tweeted about being there.

Massa

Beyond Two Souls and The Last of Us. I don't think either of those is coming out in the first half of next year, so their holiday 2013 line-up is already better than this year and we're not even at the VGA's yet.

I'm not liking the 1080p/30 and 720p/60 talk.
720p/60 is something that exists in many finer tuned games this generation, you're telling me with the rumored power of the next Xbox (as an example system), these are the best milestones developers are being told to shoot for?

How about 2160/30 instead guys? Alright, maybe too far in the future. Maybe the first slew of games are only shooting for those rumored resolution/fps milestones.

4K is definitely something I want from these, even if adoption rate of the consumer won't arise until a few years. Same happened with 1080p.

Smash88

Banned
The amount of stupid I am reading from these "sources" astounds me.

16 CORES! WOAAAHHHHHHHHH.... Doubt it unless they are running a server or they found a way for the next xbox to not cost as much as a server.

Top Bottom