• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 NXE Dashboard Leaked to the Net!!! But theres a problem

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm happy I installed the update on my old 360, still I used my 120gig HDD. So when I snap that back onto my Elite (after i've gone through the normal update on the 19th) I won't get banned right? Even though the update file on the 120gig HDD is the leaked update?

This is confusing.

I am not worried about being banned, if they do they can go fuck themselves I will hop off the xbox bandwagon as soon as I can.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
People are hilarous.

"If they ban me for installing a leaked version that i shouldnt have in first place, im going to mod my console and pirate games, or give my money to Sony, that will show them!!""

:lol

I know you are better than that GAF.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I seriously doubt they will ban people. You're just locked out of Xbox Live until the 19th. Most people are OK with that cause they don't care about online gaming...but I would take XBLA and DLC stuff into consideration too.

Kandrick said:
People are hilarous.

"If they ban me for installing a leaked version that i shouldnt have in first place, im going to mod my console and pirate games, or give my money to Sony, that will show them!!""

Do you know how many fucking times I have renewed my 12 month? I've been on Live since the BETA and thrown so much money to their online service. If they decide to throw down a ban for something they are releasing shortly anyways to their money paying customers then fuck them.

Kandrick said:
People are hilarous.

It's a little surreal. I understand the "anger", but whatever. I don't think MS will ban anyone (maybe outside of the individual who leaked the file in the first place). If anything, it shows how anticipated this update really is and perhaps also shows that their two-second sign up window was a little misguided.

tokkun

See said:
Don't worry, you wont get banned... Well I don't think you would.

Well, whats more concerning is why the people who has installed the update not being banned from neogaf, for a little time at least? Are you not breaking the rules? Downloading files that should not be distributed? Hmm... sounds like something that starts with a "p" for me. Well thats my view anyway.

Why you consider installing a leaked version of a free firmware to be equivalent to piracy? Who is the victim?

I have a hard time believing they will permanently ban people who installed NXE, for several reasons:

1. This leaked Friday, and MS waited four days and thousands of installs... and it still hasn't said anything official. Doesn't seem like they are rushing to stop people from doing this.

2. Feedback is overwhelmingly positive. It's good news for MS that so many people like NXE.

3. This isn't costing them a dime. NXE isn't something to be sold, it's a free update. Therefore, early installs or "unofficial" installs don't cost them income.

4. Banning thousands will cost them millions in the long run.

Piracy is wrong and costs developers and publishers money. Loading NXE two weeks early hasn't cost anyone a dime.

saunderez

Also it's not like we're breaching the Xbox Live Terms of Service because we can't even connect to Xbox Live. If we could they'd have cause to suspend/ban on account of unauthorised access. But we can't.

Meier

HUELEN10 said:
That worries me.
Some random mod at the Xbox Australia forums has a more official word than Major Nelson? I don't think so.

Take a deep breath, you have nothing to worry about. Nothing can be done at this point anyway, so just enjoy the benefits you're getting. This whole thing benefits MS without a single negative aspect involved. They gain nothing from doing anything and therefore they won't.

mollipen

BakedPigeon said:
Do you know how many fucking times I have renewed my 12 month? I've been on Live since the BETA and thrown so much money to their online service. If they decide to throw down a ban for something they are releasing shortly anyways to their money paying customers then fuck them.

Something you shouldn't have installed yet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
:lol at all the drama in this thread. I'd be surprised if they banned anyone but why even risk it? Did you guys have this same argument with your parents about opening your Christmas presents early?

AZ Greg

BakedPigeon said:

What does renewing your XBL subscription have to do with anything? You renew your subscription because you obviously get value out of the service, not because you simply feel like giving them money out of the kindness of your heart.

I still don't think anyone will be banned, but everyone shouldn't act like they had the right to download this. Otherwise, it would have just been an open beta and everyone would have had the option to download it.

See

tokkun said:
Why you consider installing a leaked version of a free firmware to be equivalent to piracy? Who is the victim?
In my opinion it is equivalent. In this case nobody is really the victim, except maybe by the hurt feeling of the people who got exclusive access. But free or not, using something earlier then its meant to be without the publishers consent is still illegal.

But I hope nobody gets banned from live.

Timan

Developer
MS isn't gonna come out and say... no you won't be banned. They don't want more people downloading the leaked dashboard. Have to scare the little impatient bastards till the 19th.

SpacLock

As the worst ban betting fool on GAF (banned multiple times, never won once) I'm willing to bet 2 months that everyone who downloaded it early will be fine by the time it comes out.

Oh dear... I've done it again.

HUELEN10

SpacLock said:
As the worst ban betting fool on GAF (banned multiple times, never won once) I'm willing to bet 2 months that everyone who downloaded it early will be fine by the time it comes out.

I do not know about ban bets at all. What happens if you win? What do you get?

If nothing, then what is the point of making the bet? Getting banned from GAF would suck!

SapientWolf said:
:lol at all the drama in this thread. I'd be surprised if they banned anyone but why even risk it? Did you guys have this same argument with your parents about opening your Christmas presents early?
Our parents wouldn't give us up for adoption if we opened a gift early, so it is not like that AT ALL!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SpacLock said:

No fair, they already outlined in an email that you won't be able to connect to XBL until the 19th.

And real men go all in with perm bans.

saunderez

SapientWolf said:
Did you guys have this same argument with your parents about opening your Christmas presents early?
My parents didn't make it ridiculously easy to open Christmas presents. They generally put them somewhere secure, that I didn't have any way of gaining access to.

mandiller

Timan said:
MS isn't gonna come out and say... no you won't be banned. They don't want more people downloading the leaked dashboard. Have to scare the little impatient bastards till the 19th.

Got it in one.

Konig94

Neo Member
Konig94 said:
I'm not sure if this has been answered somewhere, but I have a 16:10 television, is the only way to get 16:10 support with VGA, or can you use HDMI? If I use VGA is there some converter for A/V audio cables to 3.5mm headphone type input? (there's no red and white cable jacks for the VGA input)

So does anyone know the answer to this question?

GreekWolf

BakedPigeon said:
Do you know how many fucking times I have shopped at that grocery store? I've been shopping there since I was a kid and spent so much monies on their groceries. If they decide to call the cops on me for shoplifting, after all the monies I spent there over the years then fuck them.
Well, you see...

Nif

I hear they're going to ban people who got Gears early, or have ever downloaded a demo from the Japanese marketplace, too. They're working with the FBI to determine IP addresses and making strike teams to raid your homes. Better sell those xboxes.

PizzaFarmer

Konig94 said:
I'm not sure if this has been answered somewhere, but I have a 16:10 television, is the only way to get 16:10 support with VGA, or can you use HDMI? If I use VGA is there some converter for A/V audio cables to 3.5mm headphone type input? (there's no red and white cable jacks for the VGA input)

So does anyone know the answer to this question?
The new 16:10 resolutions are supported over both VGA and HDMI.

We never had to pay for it, So why will i get banned on the 19th. I dont think thats fair.

I will stay on customer service with Suresh for 5 hours if I have to.

brendanrfoley said:
I have a hard time believing they will permanently ban people who installed NXE, for several reasons:

1. This leaked Friday, and MS waited four days and thousands of installs... and it still hasn't said anything official. Doesn't seem like they are rushing to stop people from doing this.

2. Feedback is overwhelmingly positive. It's good news for MS that so many people like NXE.

3. This isn't costing them a dime. NXE isn't something to be sold, it's a free update. Therefore, early installs or "unofficial" installs don't cost them income.

4. Banning thousands will cost them millions in the long run.

Piracy is wrong and costs developers and publishers money. Loading NXE two weeks early hasn't cost anyone a dime.

+1 to logical post

SpacLock

Wario64 said:
No fair, they already outlined in an email that you won't be able to connect to XBL until the 19th.

And real men go all in with perm bans.

I'd go with a perm ban if i wasn't wrong 100% of the time.

I'm going to be a man and take my 2 months instead.

MacBosse

Timan said:

Now, I shouldn't really care what some random internet fool says but if that fool calls me a "little impatient bastard" I just have to say something. So here it goes ...

Just because you ain't got the balls to install it, fool.

Had to keep it on the same kindergarden level.

I really can't see MS perma-banning anyone on Live, heck they must have known this was going to happen, they already setup Live to stop unrecognised console IDs with the NXE logging into Live until the 19th.

They probably were hoping that this would happen, no doubt they are monitoring threads like this across the net to gather even more information on the NXE from people who aren't connected to Live (bugs, issues etc)

The only person I can see getting perma-banned is the person who uploaded the file onto the internet to download.

SpacLock said:

come on, nobody is going to take that ban bet... unless they want to lose!

jordan0386 said:
We never had to pay for it, So why will i get banned on the 19th. I dont think thats fair.

I will stay on customer service with Suresh for 5 hours if I have to.

300px-mohinder_suresh.jpg

Brashnir

Kandrick said:
People are hilarous.

well, the only disincentive to modding your console is the threat of being banned from XBL. If you're banned, why not mod it?

I only installed it on my old launch unit, but I'd probably mod it if it got banned for this. (Which is all academic since nobody is going to get banned for "stealing" a free update.)

Brashnir

dabookerman said:
Can I hear confirmation that no one is able to get on Live after installing the NXE?

People who were invited into the NXE preview can access live, but not the rest of us.

Dizzy-4U

Hellraizer said:
With HDMI? Don't you just get 720p, 1080i etc. options @HDMI (like with component)?
Yep, with HDMI. 720p looked like crap on my tv. So I set it to "optimal" and the resolution 1360x768 set it itself.

I didn't have the option to set it manually though. Only using the "optimal" option worked.

Dizzy-4U said:
Yep, with HDMI. 720p looked like crap on my tv. So I set it to "optimal" and the resolution 1360x768 set it itself.

I didn't have the option to set it manually though. Only using the "optimal" option worked.
Oh, have to try this one (I thought optimal would put it @720p, my TV is also 1360x768...)

Iberian

MacBosse said:
Now, I shouldn't really care what some random internet fool says but if that fool calls me a "little impatient bastard" I just have to say something. So here it goes ...

Just because you ain't got the balls to install it, fool.

Best comeback in the history of human kind. :D

Top Bottom