• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxEra say sites have decided to give Starfield 7.0-8.5 reviews in order to generate traffic and drag the Xbox brand down

Lokaum D+

Oblivion - 94
Fallout 3 - 93
Skyrim - 96
Fallout 4 - 88

Yeah, I think people are expecting it to have great scores.
You missed one

QgvpUZC.jpg

zomboden

Banned
You missed one

QgvpUZC.jpg
Fallout 76 isn't even that bad in its current state. It's gone through tons of free updates, including revamping the starting experience and introducing human factions. The worst part of Fallout 76 is the same thing that I don't like about Elder Scrolls Online. Games are both free to play after purchase (no sub) but both have optional subscriptions that give you an insane quality of life/advantage that you feel bad not being subscribed.

Difference between FO76 and Redfall is one game is going to be abandoned for sure.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don’t think Redfall is a 5/10 game either. I think we’re in the middle of a huge conspiracy to destroy Xbox because nostalgic people who can’t stand a modern brand ruining their traditional game manufacturers like Sony/Nintendo have devised a pact against it due to the acquisitions.

/s sarcasm, please no angry reply. REMINDER THESE GUYS GAVE REDFALL AN 8.5/10

An 8.5!?

Lokaum D+

Games are both free to play after purchase (no sub) but both have optional subscriptions that give you an insane quality of life/advantage that you feel bad not being subscribed.

What makes you think that Starfield wont follow the same model ?

7.5/8.5 is high enough for Bethesda BUG mess games at release.

"It just works"

Last edited:
because of the YouTube algorithm:

is insane how similar it feels to the redfall situation.

this is why i find bewildering when I see comments or talking points trying to dismiss the xbox situation

redfall: "is only one game, Xbox is fine"

or this persecution complex that the entire industry is against Xbox and the negativity is because they only hate Xbox.

or that sony buys scores and GOTY awards.

the hivemind is real, they use the same vocabulary like "one and done" to dismiss single player games.

that xbox is about "ecosystem", "they dont care about sales" blah, blah,blah

....At this point i just wonder if Xbox/Starfield showcases are going to be enough to create some positive momentum for them (especially with Sony going before) which after 2 years of waiting.....one should expect Big Dick Energy.

Fabieter

Somehow I would like Starfield review well even if it had the polish of previous Bethesda games because it would definitely kill the narrative that nintendo and sony gets favourable treatment.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Coming out rights after TOTK for an opens world is hard

I will prolly love Starfields though even though I tinks the score is not gonna be thats hight

Fabieter

Oblivion - 94
Fallout 3 - 93
Skyrim - 96
Fallout 4 - 88

Yeah, I think people are expecting it to have great scores.

Yea but these games came in a time where open worlds weren't that big and widley used as it is now and had their bugfest completey ignored. No unpolished game should get scores in the mid 90s.

Fallout 4 has scores around 85 on two platforms and its realistic that Starfield scores the same if it doesnt meet expectations.

coffinbirth

Genuine question, are there equally cringey/warring PlayStation and Nintendo fansites like this too?

I assume there are, but I only ever see this goofy shit with Xbox fansites, usually on here.

Genuine question, are there equally cringey/warring PlayStation and Nintendo fansites like this too?

I assume there are, but I only ever see this goofy shit with Xbox fansites, usually on here.

Like a PlayStation or Nintendo version of Jez Corden?

I don't really remembering seeing any. Closest is a few people on twitter that are extreme PlayStation fanboys. But I haven't really seen any sites or journalists that fit the bill.

Maybe your talking about PlayStation blogcast?

To be fair I never seen them console war or come up with crazy conspiracy theories. They are mostly just a Sony owned PlayStation news site.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Like a PlayStation or Nintendo version of Jez Corden?

I don't really remembering seeing any. Closest is a few people on twitter that are extreme PlayStation fanboys. But I haven't really seen any sites or journalists that fit the bill.

Maybe your talking about PlayStation blogcast?

To be fair I never seen them console war or come up with crazy conspiracy theories. They are mostly just a Sony owned PlayStation news site.
closest we ever got to a playstation fangirl was HIPHOPGAMER
Maybe? I thought he was a leaker?
I've definitely seen the worst/most unhinged fanboy shit on Twitter. I've never checked out PlayStation blogcast.
It strikes me as odd that PlayStation fanboys have been historically tagged as among the worst online, yet here's this, haha. Maybe these Xbox weirdos are just more motivated? I dunno, strange stuff, regardless.

Maybe? I thought he was a leaker?
I've definitely seen the worst/most unhinged fanboy shit on Twitter. I've never checked out PlayStation blogcast.
It strikes me as odd that PlayStation fanboys have been historically tagged as among the worst online, yet here's this, haha. Maybe these Xbox weirdos are just more motivated? I dunno, strange stuff, regardless.

With what's been happening lately it's difficult to tag them as the worst now. I've never seen this much manipulation of the news from people like Jez Cordan or Florian before. Plus the usual crazies on twitter (Senjustsu Sage) have gotten a lot worse.

It could just be they are making the most noise now to to several things that happened but we have to wait and see if it sticks.

coffinbirth

With what's been happening lately it's difficult to tag them as the worst now. I've never seen this much manipulation of the news from people like Jez Cordan or Florian before. Plus the usual crazies on twitter (Senjustsu Sage) have gotten a lot worse.

It could just be they are making the most noise now to to several things that happened but we have to wait and see if it sticks.
Taking a cursory glance at Jez Corden's Twitter tells me he is an Xbox fanboy that appears to have actual credentials and multiple inside sources, including himself in regards to NDA's and embargos. What manipulation of the news do you speak of? Am I missing something specific here? This seems like two opposite sides of the spectrum.

Gold Member

Is he really doctoring metacritic numbers there to prove a (really strange) point? Because in that image it’s the PS5 version of Elden Ring - which scored 96. I don’t get how he can say “it’s just facts” when he is just changing shit to fit his narrative. Dude is weird as fuck.

I (stupidly) clicked through to Twitter…he then goes onto say that Blue Dragon, Lost Oddsey and Quantum Break prove his point because they are as good as Elden Ring (wow) and were scored unfairly…even though the user score is perfectly in line with the critics score. Maybe he should be moaning at his fellow zealots to review their own shite better?

Sage if you’re reading this (I suspect you are), seek help…

Taking a cursory glance at Jez Corden's Twitter tells me he is an Xbox fanboy that appears to have actual credentials and multiple inside sources, including himself in regards to NDA's and embargos. What manipulation of the news do you speak of? Am I missing something specific here? This seems like two opposite sides of the spectrum.

Oh the general FUD he was spreading before the generation started. Things like that. You would need to read several of his articles to get that.

That's the whole problem with him being a journalist and an Xbox fanboy like you said. It's just going to have an influence on the news he puts out and what he believes is true.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Like cmon seriously.

Can any hard Xbox fan seriously say the games are up to the same standard as PS5 or Nintendo Switch this generation?
Maybe eventually they will be but certainly not now. HENCE the low scores...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It needs to score in the 90s i think....Even just a flat 90 would do wonders for a game of this size in 2023.

They should really be aiming for that 95-96 metacritic score again but I think it will be a challenge for them.

It needs to score in the 90s i think....Even just a flat 90 would do wonders for a game of this size in 2023.

They should really be aiming for that 95-96 metacritic score again but I think it will be a challenge for them.

Most people don't care about scores though. What they need to focus on is using the game to push Xboxs this holiday season. They can still have a system seller even if the game doesn't have incredibly high scores.

Some solid marketing and great bundles will do wonders.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Most people don't care about scores though. What they need to focus on is using the game to push Xboxs this holiday season. They can still have a system seller even if the game doesn't have incredibly high scores.

Some solid marketing and great bundles will do wonders.

Oh definitely, but 90 plus scoring game would be seen as a must have and would drive some sales for sure.

Oh definitely, but 90 plus scoring game would be seen as a must have and would drive some sales for sure.

Well it depends. Even games like HFW managed to do very well without a 90+ score. I guess if it gets a low score console warriors will take advantage of that. But it shouldn't really impact the games sales performance or ability to push systems. Gamepass will have a bigger impact on sales than low scores will.

Markio128

Gold Member
I don’t know why so many folk are throwing hissy fits, or are worried. I honestly believe that Starfield will be an awesome game and will review highly. We’ll get a better idea of how high after the showcase and I can’t wait to see how it’s looking now. It’s literally the one MS game that sole PS5 owners wished was coming to PS5. I do a little, only because there may have been a chance of a VR mode. ☹️

I don’t know why so many folk are throwing hissy fits, or are worried. I honestly believe that Starfield will be an awesome game and will review highly. We’ll get a better idea of how high after the showcase and I can’t wait to see how it’s looking now. It’s literally the one MS game that sole PS5 owners wished was coming to PS5. I do a little, only because there may have been a chance of a VR mode. ☹️

I think people are putting too much pressure on Starfield being a sales fixer. It's not like one game will completely turn Xbox around but a series of great titles will.

Microsoft just needs to ensure that multiple quality titles get released in the near future. Xboxs situation should get much better after that happens.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
And are these guys going to stick socks in their mouths if the game actually gets good scores?

Weren't folks saying this wasn't from the same team that did Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc.?
All I can find in the internet is that the Austin team did the modifications in the Creation Engine to allow for multiplayer, but otherwise Fallout 76 is from the main dev house in Maryland.

Markio128

Gold Member
I think people are putting too much pressure on Starfield being a sales fixer. It's not like one game will completely turn Xbox around but a series of great titles will.

Microsoft just needs to ensure that multiple quality titles get released in the near future. Xboxs situation should get much better after that happens.
It is what it is with Xbox at the moment, but Starfield being a great game would certainly be a step in the right direction, at least as far as I’m concerned. The problem that I have is that nothing else on the horizon is really floating my boat (Fable, Perfect Dark etc.,), but then again, some of them could surprise me. Fingers crossed, the MS showcase actually shows us some new 1st party gameplay and that it provides some solid release dates.

mxbison

Pretty damn confident to think that an 85 will drag the score down so much that it generates extra traffic lol.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It’s literally the one MS game that sole PS5 owners wished was coming to PS5.
Absolutely. And because it is one of those few, it has to be good. I want it to be great. So I would prefer for Starfield to be delayed instead of being forced to ship too soon. If it is ready, perfect. But if it is not, delay. For those who want to look at the showcase before having a opinion, think of this: better to have a game delay announced at the end of the show, or a few days/weeks later? I believe that a good trailer can make a delay more easy to accept. But a 180 like Halo Infinite got in 2020 is not a good idea. Or a surprise delay like Kill the Justice league. Better for them to be confident and proactive on this. Of course, if the game is ready, go ! But all rumors allude to a game that needs time. So Xbox should give that time to Bethesda. And should be able to take on the consequences of that decision, or at least I hope so.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

It's 2023, gamers love to expose bugs in games and creating countless bug compilations and then call those buggy games trash and broken. And it's Bethesda game so they're guaranteed to have a lot of material to laugh at. Reviewers also tend to not ignore bugs anymore as much as they did in the past with games like ME Andromeda or previous Bethesda titles. So I think this game may finally be the first title where Bethesda gets a honest score for their lack of polish and this could drag the score down significantly even if the story and dialogs and characters are genuinely good (which let's be honest wasn't the case for Fallout 4 or even Skyrim).

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Id believe this conspiracy if starfield is a better game then fo4 (which cant really be that hard tbh) fo4 deserves to be a 6/10 total shit game and mods dont make it any better

Top Bottom