• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxgamer mag UK Reviews Burnout 3

Pug

And gives it a 10/10. They say the game isn't about courses designed to catch you out and slow you down, its a pure adrenalin rush where the courses are really our frirends. The boosts are are better inplimented and because you bounce off bends without taking to much of hit in terms of speed, keeps the game exciting. The aftertouch idea adds loads to the game and is a touch of genius abd with masses of online racing options this makes Burnout 3 a new standard in racing games.

IgeL

I approve of this review.

The one thing that I think the designers had in mind, is to never ever punish the player. Only the rubberband AI is an exception (still hate it) but otherwise everything is very forgiving. You can even "touch" some oncoming cars and still not get hit, or use the walls etc...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Deepthroat said:
9.0 / 9.5 / 9.0 *Gold/GOTM* - EGM
10/10 - PSW
10/10 - XMUK

So far so good! :D

Yeah thats pretty insane.

My worry is that you won't be able to skip crash sequences. That's going to get tiresome to me after a while.

Prine

Banned
What did they say about XBL?

Did EA do a good job this time round?

Cant wait to play this online. Killer app!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This game looks like a lot of fun, but there are too many other games coming out I want instead. I'll get this one as part of the TRU 3 for 2 deal.

IgeL

Deepthroat said:
IIRC you can turn the crash sequences off.
Really? If you know the source, try to get specific instructions. I can't find the option in the Xbox review copy (and I'm not as blind as Che ;)).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Doesnt seem likely that you could turn them off, arent they a big part of the races? with the possible payback opportunities and all.

Solid

I'm pretty sure someone here on GAF said in a thread that you could turn the crashes off. But maybe that wasn't true. A friend of mine heard that the crashes only occur when you are holding the boost button down. Dont know if that's true though.

Maybe someone that's played the final game can clear this up.

IgeL

Oh you meant ingame crashes... hmmm well there are some options for that but I think it's only for takedowns, i.e. those nice cutscenes that play for 2 secs or so. They don't bother me at all.

I was hoping for a way to turn off the DJ commentary that's at the beginning of every Crash course (and takes way too much time before letting the player actually Crash).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
yeah, hopefully we can get some confirmation on this.

Pug said:
And gives it a 10/10. They say the game isn't about courses designed to catch you out and slow you down, its a pure adrenalin rush where the courses are really our frirends. The boosts are are better inplimented and because you bounce off bends without taking to much of hit in terms of speed, keeps the game exciting. The aftertouch idea adds loads to the game and is a touch of genius abd with masses of online racing options this makes Burnout 3 a new standard in racing games.

As a fan of the awesome twisting and difficult to navigate tracks of Burnout 1 (and to some extent 2) I'm a bit disapointed :(

I also hope theres more traffic then I've seen in the game trailers. Tracks look very devoid of traffic compared to previous games. I wish there was some unlockable hard mode which had more traffic like Burnout 1. God damn casual gamers watering down my Burnout games because they suck and crash all the time.

Easy tracks + little traffic = crap!

You just don't get that awesome adrenalin rush if theres little chance of crashing.

isamu

Red Dolphin said:
As a fan of the awesome twisting and difficult to navigate tracks of Burnout 1 (and to some extent 2) I'm a bit disapointed :(

I also hope theres more traffic then I've seen in the game trailers. Tracks look very devoid of traffic compared to previous games. I wish there was some unlockable hard mode which had more traffic like Burnout 1. God damn casual gamers watering down my Burnout games because they suck and crash all the time.

Easy tracks + little traffic = crap!

You just don't get that awesome adrenalin rush if theres little chance of crashing.

You make an excellent point! But the thing is, the more traffic on screen the more difficult it would be to concentrate on ramming your online opponents off the road :)

Rhage

Granted, I'm much more interested in Burnout 3 than Gran Turismo 4, but if you're talking about Racer of the Year, won't GT4 easily walk away with it?

isamu

Rhage said:
Granted, I'm much more interested in Burnout 3 than Gran Turismo 4, but if you're talking about Racer of the Year, won't GT4 easily walk away with it?

It may walk away wih being Sim of the year. But I don't know about it walking away wih being overall RACER of the year. With the addition of the new tracks in OR2, to me, that will most likely be my racer of the year.

Though I can't front....racing down Nurburgring in those F1 cars in GT4 with the DFP FF wheel will be nothing short of orgasmic!

It's too bad Freeburn will be sticking with GPL :(

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully GTR will have replaced GPL by then... ;)

*crosses fingers*

Top Bottom