• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCloud public preview invites rolling out.

I look forward to the day they can fully take away your game, your progress, your characters,etc, and you have absolutely no say whatsoever in this. And when they disconnect eh servers and quit support, you can never play it again.
Oh and you get to pay for it over and over each month, since you cannot own it,
Fun times.
Calm down, a reality like that is still like decades away. We haven't even gotten to digital market saturation yet...

Lort

Banned
I look forward to the day they can fully take away your game, your progress, your characters,etc, and you have absolutely no say whatsoever in this. And when they disconnect eh servers and quit support, you can never play it again.
Fun times.

That would never happen unless the market want that... pity people love netflix ey :)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Only signed up 2 days ago, so I probably have some waiting. Decided to boot GeForce Now and DOOM(2016), hopefully I'll have a chance to compare to XCloud with DOOM(2016) soon. This is GeForce Now's 1080p/60fps, 50Mbps setting(~15GB/hour). DOOM game settings to 4K/Ultra. Played on Xbox One controller.

Slower paced 30fps games are easy enough to control, but DOOM is a much harder test. The best way I can describe the feeling of going from local play to streaming is like riding your bike versus riding your bike with a dog on a leash hooked to the handle bars. When Haste kicks in...holy fuck, good luck.
Streaming, mm², I've seen it all.

Or not.
You forgot Gigarays per second.

P.S.- I know you love typing that alt+0178. Sometimes I just gotta ² or even ³ just for the fuck of it.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

nikolino840

Had a brief go of it yeserday with Gears 5 single player. I have a U.S. account and Galaxy S10 but visiting in N. Ireland using a friends Wifi connection (50Mps Dwnld).... worked surprisingly well. A few hitches on occassion but this would have been perfectly fine for a travel abroad experience and that is how I would see myself using it.
Yeah of course on mobile Is not for pro players runs...Is Just for short plays when you travel or during the toilet or in bed..instead of playing Candy crush you can play a triple A

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My hypothesis is that they are using an S for a few reasons.
  1. The S is much cheaper to manufacture.
  2. The server version of an S and the "S All Digital" are identical (no disc drive).
  3. On a phone, the added fidelity from an X will be largely wasted
  4. More people have an S, so the performance will be largely identical for the average person.
  5. (Guess) The jump from X to Scarlet will be bigger than from S to X, and they are anticipating the S to Scarlett switch over in the server farms to be soon enough to make using X consoles a waste of money.
I personally wish that they would have used the X in order to increase the number of X units, drive the X cost down, and finally discontinue the S completely, leaving the X as the only version available.

Good points. However, they still gotta do something about the load times. Stadia loads instantly. Load times are all the rave this coming generation.

Lone Wolf

My hypothesis is that they are using an S for a few reasons.
  1. The S is much cheaper to manufacture.
  2. The server version of an S and the "S All Digital" are identical (no disc drive).
  3. On a phone, the added fidelity from an X will be largely wasted
  4. More people have an S, so the performance will be largely identical for the average person.
  5. (Guess) The jump from X to Scarlet will be bigger than from S to X, and they are anticipating the S to Scarlett switch over in the server farms to be soon enough to make using X consoles a waste of money.
I personally wish that they would have used the X in order to increase the number of X units, drive the X cost down, and finally discontinue the S completely, leaving the X as the only version available.
I would imagine it’s the X that will be discontinued. The S will be the cheap way to jump in, the Scarlet will take the One X place as the premium that plays everything to its maximum. It makes sense when you think about it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Responsiveness is tied to latency, not bandwidth. He has 13ms ping to San Fran, which should indicate he's within a couple hundred miles of the server. I'm halfway in between San Fran and Seattle, so I get around 25ms to either server(GeForce Now network test).

This why you have beta tests and start with smaller server loads and scale up. I'd love to get in on this. Still waiting.

Lort

Banned
Hope they send feedback and not Just post for views
If you look at his post history .. barely anything pro playstation or xbox .. every small negative thing he can find about xbox he posts and NOTHING else ... so his obviously not a gamer ( else hed be posting about having fun with games)... just a fanboy troll or paid stooge.

Sup to you if you think that may color his opinions but i doubt you'll disagree with my assesment of his post history lol.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Lets post some random reviews of people who arent biased trolls ... i have not vetted these for any particular agenda.. just random hits from youtube.

SpartanN92

Banned
Fun times.

My copy of Pokémon Yellow version stopped working a year ago. I lost my game, progress and characters and I had absolutely no say in this. I’ll never get to play it again.

Tell me how that’s different?

DanielsM

Banned
Lets post some random reviews of people who arent biased trolls ... i have not vetted these for any particular agenda.. just random hits from youtube.

Its not about bias, its about the laws of the universe. I watched about a minute of the silly thurrott video and they act like all this is new. All of this has been possible for 10+ years to the masses, no real customers want this unless its free or freeish and even than not even that much demand. At the end of the day, users have the ability to do this from their own equipment and own games - if they are a normal gamer it will have to be more expensive to stream.

There is really no upside for a typical gamer, although streaming from one's own equipment can provide at least an option in a pinch.... most people game streaming only is not going to be ideal for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
Its not about bias, its about the laws of the universe. I watched about a minute of the silly thurrott video and they act like all this is new. All of this has been possible for 10+ years to the masses, no real customers want this unless its free or freeish and even than not even that much demand. At the end of the day, users have the ability to do this from their own equipment and own games - if they are a normal gamer it will have to be more expensive to stream.

There is really no upside for a typical gamer, although streaming from one's own equipment can provide at least an option in a pinch.... most people game streaming only is not going to be ideal for obvious reasons.

5 years ago I was doing this in Destiny 1, on my Xperia phone. From the mall, on my lunch break, on crappy mall wi fi. It wasn't great, but I could fly to the tower, get my bounties, and do plenty of little PVE things direct from my phone. Yes it was a bit laggy at times. Fast forward half a decade and I can NOT do this on my Xbox/Galaxy phone because Microsoft knows that I live in Canada, and they hate Canada. Color me excited.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I got the invite it ended up taking about a week from when I registered. It seems to be a 720p stream like PSNow. Decent picture, actually quite nice on small screen, but the input latency is severe for me at this point. Still happy to be in on the preview, and tomorrow I'll keep messing with it and see if I can get it working better.
8iWxecQ.png

I installed GeForce Now onto my phone and it's much more responsive with better image quality(1080p).

EBVqcc4.png

---
Still early in the preview for XCloud, and playing AAA and modern games on a phone isn't my thing aside from my morbid fascination with streaming games. I'd like to see how XCloud does on PC/laptop with a wired connection, or even on an Xbox. Will post some vids tomorrow.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Alrighty then. Finally got around to making some gameplay vids comparing xCloud with GeForce Now. In the post above I show the image quality with screenshots taken on the phone. This test is to demonstrate input latency, responsiveness, and game feed consistency.

Gears 5, xCloud:

Currently unplayable due to input latency. In it's current beta form, it's about as performant as OnLive with UT3 around 8 years ago. They have some work to do.
---

DOOM(2016), GeForce Now:

The responsiveness of GeForce Now is incredible. This is despite the input latency from going from Bluetooth controller to Phone to WiFi to Server and back. I occasionally missed secondary fire shots and some ledge grabs, but nice and flickable aside from that.

*Note: GeForce Now has been in "beta" for over a year, so better performance is to be expected. I didn't expect xCloud to be unplayable, even early in the beta stage.

Last edited:
Projecting? You cannot be serious? For shits and giggles let me post a positive article about MS and let's watch how fast it degrades in a pile of negative filled posts after posts. Projecting? haha that's too funny.
Nice Sega icon!

Now, it's not the same MS deserves it, no matter how good they do, we need a punching bag. Sorry, it is what it is.

*Note: GeForce Now has been in "beta" for over a year, so better performance is to be expected. I didn't expect xCloud to be unplayable, even early in the beta stage.
Didn's nvidia have a service like that before? Anyway, I have seen people stream their library from their PC to their phone before. One colleague was playing a dragon ball fighting game andas far as I could tell there was very little input lag, it seemed much better than what the big players do so far in therms of latency anyways, I'm not so sure about the image quality.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Didn's nvidia have a service like that before? Anyway, I have seen people stream their library from their PC to their phone before. One colleague was playing a dragon ball fighting game andas far as I could tell there was very little input lag, it seemed much better than what the big players do so far in therms of latency anyways, I'm not so sure about the image quality.
I looked up my accept date for the free beta and it was February, 2018. I think that before they changed the name to Gamestream, GeForce Now included their Nvidia GPU-to-Shield streaming service. This is probably why people have been asking if I'm connected to my PC or the phone. This is just a phone and X1S BT controller. The hardware is in Seattle or Bay Area, CA(~500mi. either way).

I have a morbid curiosity with streaming, so I played through all of DOOM(2016) on GeForce Now on my PC. I generally found it superior visually to Xbox One, but there was about 6 times it lost stable connection and I'd fall or start shooting into the ceiling for 3-4secs.

GeForce Now is tied to your own collection on Steam or Uplay. I did the 30-day Uplay+ trial and they had support for most of the games. AC Odyssey played and looked amazing(30fps, slow gameplay is too easy, so I do DOOM).

I was curious what type of hardware Nvidia is using in their servers, and it look like the $6k+ Nvidia Tesla P40 that has 24GB GDDR5x, paired with a 4c/8t Xeon CPU. So more or less a 1080ti with twice the VRAM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom