• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

Had to restart the campaign because of bad choices.

Anyone knows how to make the early campaign less scripted?
The game forces you to go after beating the first mission: supply cache>something similar>random mission>another supply>Factions encounter mission.
It feels very restricted. There's an option or something similar before starting the game that lets you skip that?

If not, honestly I would have leave the choice to start the game after
the encounter mission

Shinjica

Had to restart the campaign because of bad choices.

Anyone knows how to make the early campaign less scripted?
The game forces you to go after beating the first mission: supply cache>something similar>random mission>another supply>Factions encounter mission.
It feels very restricted. There's an option or something similar before starting the game that lets you skip that?

If not, honestly I would have leave the choice to start the game after
the encounter mission

You Can ignote random Mission if you want

Philxor

I had an absolute blast on this last night. After finding the vanilla version would barely run on a brand new £2500 pc and then struggling to really get to grips with the aggressive timers and general strategic changes, starting a new game last night was as much as XCOM EW for me. The game feels like it has finally been done justice and is a fitting sequel.

The changes of pace with
The Lost
are so refreshing, and the new character soldiers are really fun. Can't wait to get down the road on another 30 hour campaign.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Edit : Nvm, answer in first post.

I got the base game with the bundle a few months ago but haven't played it yet. Is it a good idea to get WOTC and start directly with that ?

Not a good first impression, the tutorial bugged out and I was stuck... needed to close the game. Haha.

This happened to me as well. Couldnt move a soldier. Had to quit and start again.

No problem the second time, now a few missions in and loving it.

The load times are super fast - its like that bug/fix where you could press f2 or f10 or whatever it was to speed up the loads.

Ont

XCOM 2 is already one of my all time favourite games, so it is not surprising that I am absolutely loving this expansion.

Failed my first real mission because of the mission timer and that was my own fault. At least every squad member survived. :) Nothing is more exciting than a fresh ironman campaign when you do not know all the enemies yet.

Khoryos

I took a six-man squad on a retaliation mission, all lieutenants at least - one of them came back alive.
Thats_xcom_baby.jpg
Mission successful!

Sentenza

Hmm, I wonder if Reapers make concealment Rangers outdated.
In a mission where you have both? Abso-fucking-lutely.

But the game now forces turn over between soldiers far more frequently, so I guess there would be plenty of ways to find a place for one.

That said, I wasn't too much in love with "concealment rangers" even before. I always preferred to play them as very aggressive damage dealers rather than scouts.

patapuf

In a mission where you have both? Abso-fucking-lutely.

But the game now forces turn over between soldiers far more frequently, so I guess there would be plenty of ways to find a place for one.

That said, I wasn't too much in love with "concealment rangers" even before. I always preferred to play them as very aggressive damage dealers rather than scouts.

I preferred the damage build as well but i think on the highest difficulty a concealment ranger might be better because having a perfect setup before triggering a pod is more important.

Also, the early sword skills you get do tend to fall off late game, when you have big enemies with healthbars that fill the whole screen and shotguns are just overall a better option.

That's moot in this update though. Reapers are so much better at stealth it's not even funny.

Retaliation missions are far more interesting now, with active resistance soldiers and civilians huddled together rather than just dotted randomly around the map.
bc93692c32.png

Armaros

Retaliation missions are far more interesting now, with active resistance soldiers and civilians huddled together rather than just dotted randomly around the map.
bc93692c32.png

Also early game, resstance forces are surprisingly effective.

Not just fodder to tank shots for civis.

Peek from Concealment updated for WOTC: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865511007

I like this mod because it's a fairly minor quality of life tweak (it makes moving in concealment a little less fraught and fiddly, the main thing being that you can approach a building ledge without fear), but some may consider it an XCOM buff. The mod does try to compensate for that by making alien sight lines longer in general.

This looks great, never saw it on the worshop. The game almost never allows you to enter buildings in concealment and this mod seems to be more lenient with that. Thanks

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I would 100% recommend this. It's night and day playing vanilla versus this.

Thanks, I'll get it then :)

Just to be sure, gamepad still works on PC with WOTC yeah ?

JCH!

Lol. I clicked on this thread thinking it was the Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle one and was really confused for a couple seconds there.

Thanks, I'll get it then :)

Just to be sure, gamepad still works on PC with WOTC yeah ?

Yes.

I poo'd a bit when i booted up the first time and it didn't but I forgot you need to change input method in the settings menu. Then (non-steam) gamepads work just fine.

Well, Xbone Elite controller does. Guess idk about DS4.

I forgot you need to change input method in the settings menu. Then (non-steam) gamepads work just fine.

Worth adding for anyone jumping in that despite being a big fan of the Steam controller I think this is a case where just using an Xbox controller is the way to go. You can tweak the steam controller a ton to try and get stuff like geoscape scrolling working nicely, or just have it all integrated nicely out of the box. Your choice. Personally after a lot of fiddling I just go Xbox when playing on my couch. Perfect steam link game.

IIRC some other gaffers in this thread ordered from GMG for WotC.

They just sent an email with a code for six free games as an apology for keys goin out late.

Never heard of any of the games, but still a nice gesture.

epmode

They just sent an email with a code for six free games as an apology for keys goin out late.

Yeah, I don't think I've heard of them either:

The Last Door Season One
Corporate Lifestyle Simulator
Edge of Twilight Return to Glory
Story of the Survivor
Aporia Beyond the Valley
Huntsman The Orphanage

They also included a unique code for a 10% discount which I assume stacks with other offers. I'll probably make use of that one!

Reads more like a cheat than a mod, frankly. Like those time limits removers.
If I'd cranked it up 5 AP per tactical action, 15 AP per mission cap, 10 AP for beating Chosen, and 20 AP for perma-killing them, I'd agree.

But 2 AP per action and a 4 AP per mission cap is pretty restrained. If people want to boost those rewards for killing the Chosen, like nude mods for FFXV, that's on "the moral sense of all players."

Also, I'm making a version of True Concealment for WOTC, so get hype.

Lister

Banned

Yeah I got mine too, plus a 10% off voucher code. Picking up the games and probably something else while I'm there wiht my 10% off.

Philxor

Yeah, I don't think I've heard of them either:

The Last Door Season One
Corporate Lifestyle Simulator
Edge of Twilight Return to Glory
Story of the Survivor
Aporia Beyond the Valley
Huntsman The Orphanage

They also included a unique code for a 10% discount which I assume stacks with other offers. I'll probably make use of that one!

I have to be honest, I got my key fairly quickly but this is a nice gesture. I know the entire area of key selling websites is a thorny subject but GMG have always been pretty great to me and the amount of quality games I can get from them for a fraction of prices I would be paying for console games is pretty terrific.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Yes.

I poo'd a bit when i booted up the first time and it didn't but I forgot you need to change input method in the settings menu. Then (non-steam) gamepads work just fine.

Awesome, loved playing the first one with gamepad.

Loving this so far. The extra mission variety is a godsend and makes me realize just how repetitive missions got in the base game without LW2.

I can't wait to see what Pavonis does with LW2.5 assuming they get there. Looks like mod creators are already hard at work updating their mods to work with WotC. I can definitely see putting hundreds of more hours into this.

Are environmental explosives new in WotC? Like, targetable ones? I don't think so, but they feel much more useful than the environmental explosives were in vanilla. And Reapers turn them into complete gamechangers. (Gawd I love Reapers.)

Stuff like this
is what I live for.

Aporia is a nice surprise, that was just released. It's published by GMG.

Random Q for some maybe further along.

What happens if one of your resistance faction chars, like a reaper, die? Are they replaceable? Do I have to go recruit a new reaper from somewhere? Or do I get the story ones and if they die i'm effed?

I take this is PC. Any word if the pspro version of it also enjoys similar loadtimes?

None yet but I'd assume there will be similar benefits, because it has to be game code related.

I was on an SSD before WotC and the load times were still kind of obnoxious, now they're lightning quick. Guessing at least some of that would translate to the console versions.

SRG01

So... when did Advent Officers get grenades? Is this new for WotC?

edit: Also, I had weird tile highlighting issues during Gatecrasher -- felt like XCOM 1 when they had a similar bug :(

My Templar has the aggressive quirk that makes him shoot occasionally instead of overwatching. And I'm... kinda OK with that?

The quirks can be vicious, though. My best soldier just got one that gives her a chance to panic when missing--kinda troublesome considering she's supposed to be one of the resolute elites among my soldiers.
Random Q for some maybe further along.

What happens if one of your resistance faction chars, like a reaper, die? Are they replaceable? Do I have to go recruit a new reaper from somewhere? Or do I get the story ones and if they die i'm effed?

Seems like you can only recruit new faction heroes through covert actions. Not sure if there's some kind of limit on their appearances, but I've only ever seen them when I have 0 of the faction's heroes.

Seems like you can only recruit new faction heroes through covert actions. Not sure if there's some kind of limit on their appearances, but I've only ever seen them when I have 0 of the faction's heroes.

Ahhhhh okay. My next question was gonna be "could you recruit an entire 6 man squad of one faction" but based on your commments it sounds like nah

When y'all try to change the items on a Grenadier wearing predator armour (so they have three slots in total), does the item selection window bug out and go blank? It's been repeatable for me--the only fix is to back up there (into a busted equipment window) and click the half-visible item button, which will fix the display and let you select your item like normal.
So... when did Advent Officers get grenades? Is this new for WotC?

edit: Also, I had weird tile highlighting issues during Gatecrasher -- felt like XCOM 1 when they had a similar bug :(

Is it a green tile under a soldier? I think that's got something to do with bonds. It seems like it's supposed to show the bonded soldier, but the visual looks really beta (it's a solid green tile below the other soldier).

If it's showing during Gatecrasher, maybe it's to do with cohesion as well as bond level.

Top Bottom