• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

FunkyMonk

When y'all try to change the items on a Grenadier wearing predator armour (so they have three slots in total), does the item selection window bug out and go blank? It's been repeatable for me--the only fix is to back up there (into a busted equipment window) and click the half-visible item button, which will fix the display and let you select your item like normal.

It's a bug as I've seen it in Christopher Odds playthrough, hopefully it'll get patched out soon. Also on the same playthrough he recruited an extra Reaper through a covert op while his original was still with us so it may be possible to grind out a full squad, it'd take a while though!

Related to above, does anyone know the best place to report bugs?

I've found one with some xbox controller goofiness in the customization menu also and have no idea where to post about it

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the deal with "match soldier's voices with nationality"? I have it selected, but

I have a spanish and french woman on my team, and both of them are speaking west coast english.

Is this option broken? What is supposed to happen?

Grimsen

What is the deal with "match soldier's voices with nationality"? I have it selected, but

I have a spanish and french woman on my team, and both of them are speaking west coast english.

There's a voice option, it's not related to the nationality option.

It should give Spanish, French, German, Italian, British English, and Australian English VOs to soldiers of the appropriate country, with anyone else speaking plain-old English. (for English copies of the game, I assume.) Edit: To be clear, this applies to randomly-generated recruits, not Character Pool recruits.

Assuming it's not a bug, was it enabled after you started your game? (It's in the ESC menu settings, I think?) 'Case I don't think it would modify already-created soldiers.

Grimsen

Sorry, what is the nationality option?

XCOM%202%20squad%20Ben.png

Is it a bad idea to start with this if you haven't played vanilla XCOM?

As bad as starting XCOM 2 without having played XCOM 1. But I mean, go for it, the performance improvements alone are reason enough to recommend it over vanilla.

It's hella fun. Just choose an appropriate difficulty so you can find that fun.

Will wait to see more responses, but I noticed this last night as well.

Some of my characters were speaking in their native languages, and some weren't, even though I have the box checked.

Grimsen

I still can't get over how fucking good this game runs now.

Loading is just gone, no chugging on max settings. I'm really early in the game, but this is my favorite thing in WOTC right now. Followed by Photo mode and the research inspirations.

Shit, if the performance improvements are even half as good on PS4, it's gonna be one hell of an upgrade.

It really is like night and day, everything moves so snappy and it means I can play super quick and get progress in a campaign. Much better than slomo 1.6 and getting jank animates or higher and/or using CheatEngine to speed up the game globally and getting even more jank animations and such.

Really love the added diversity in mission types. I'm not crazy about the "conveyor belt" of missions you don't have much control over coming off months of LW2.

Mr Swine

Banned

Loading is just gone, no chugging on max settings. I'm really early in the game, but this is my favorite thing in WOTC right now. Followed by Photo mode and the research inspirations.

Shit, if the performance improvements are even half as good on PS4, it's gonna be one hell of an upgrade.

Runs mostly smooth on my 1600x and GTX 970 rig at 1440p

Related to above, does anyone know the best place to report bugs?

I've found one with some xbox controller goofiness in the customization menu also and have no idea where to post about it

Twitter or the XCOM reddit. Find Kevin (the main Firaxis community guy) and reach out to him.

Sblargh

Banned
Are environmental explosives new in WotC? Like, targetable ones? I don't think so, but they feel much more useful than the environmental explosives were in vanilla. And Reapers turn them into complete gamechangers. (Gawd I love Reapers.)

Stuff like this

is what I live for.

Targetting explosives isn't New, but the ui showing you exactly the radius of the explosion is. A very welcome qol.

Will wait to see more responses, but I noticed this last night as well.

Some of my characters were speaking in their native languages, and some weren't, even though I have the box checked.

Not sure if it's bugged but I do know it will only work if it's for a language that game is already localized in.

A bit annoying that we still have to tweak ini files to make the avenger not look empty. Is the shooting range thing new? Don't recall soldiers ever using it in the vanilla game.
e5f6e64634.png

797cd302ef.png

Erheller

Protip: Advent Air Purifiers can drop in as reinforcements. Don't do the old strat and place units on overwatch directly on top of the flare. You'll be sad, like I was two minutes ago.

Anyone here get deep into the expansion yet? I remember Vanilla XCOM 2 got worse performance wise as it went along. My pc barely chugged along by the end game with all of my troops fully upgraded. Curious if performance is more consistent and stable now.

Geist-

Man, I'm so bummed that Uniform Manager and Halo Reach: MJOLNIR Spartan Armor Variants aren't working right now. I haven't played without those mods in so long. It doesn't look like the Reach Armor Mod will be getting updated anytime soon either. :-(

Grimsen

Just finished a mission to kill an advent
field commander
, along with tons of Lost. At first I thought I had to find some random Advent pod to finish the mission. Turns out I had to kill 50+ zombies.

Also, photos!

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ji3pHUw.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nmb6eqW.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/88EjISA.png[/IMG]

If you create a custom Reaper/Sentinel/Templar do you still get the "story units" as your first one?
I don't think so, though I've not tried. I know when you did the original Xcom 2 story you got the female soldier join you but if you didn't do the story mission she doean't. Maybe it's the same?

Noticed a bit of a bug (there's still a few). There's a Continent bonus which gives you a random Advent soldier join your squad in a mission. There is also a Dark Event that makes killed Advent come back as Psi Zombies randomly in a mission. So what happens? My Advent soldier is killed and becomes a Psi Zombie which I control! I don't think that's supposed to happen. Also the game became stuck when another enemy Advent was killed and I think was supposed to become a Psi Zombie. Maybe a conflict with the one on my side? Running him around and falling over tree stumps was quite amusing though.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124288875&searchtext=

DOWNLOAD THIS MOD
DOWNLOAD THIS MOD
DOWNLOAD THIS MOD

I've seriously been waiting specifically for a version of Gotcha Again before I even bought the expansion. Its a must have for lots of players.

Essentially it better indicates when you're in line of sight or flanking, among other things.
Makes it much easier to position your units advantageously, and more clearly shows all sorts of important tactical info.

Does this game crash often for other people? WOTC seems to crash a lot more than vanilla XCOM. It happened to me twice in the same day ,it usually happens after playing for a lengthy period of time , and always on the strategic map.

Grimsen

Does this game crash often for other people? WOTC seems to crash a lot more than vanilla XCOM. It happened to me twice in the same day ,it usually happens after playing for a lengthy period of time , and always on the strategic map.

It crashed on me once so far, when loading the first retaliation mission.

Aside from that, a few bugs here and there, like skipping menus with the controller in the customization screen, stalling on the Skirmisher for a few seconds after he does something, etc.

Seems on par with how buggy vanilla XCOM 2 was at launch.

Do the new classes from the resistance faction seem incredibly strong to the rest of you? After getting my first reaper she blows away nearly every other character on my roster.

Skade

There is a bug that would freeze the game almost all the times on covert opps.

Basically, the game is supposed to save soldiers portraits in a folder on your computer. As it is supposed to be for posters.

Sadly, for many people (me included), it doesn't save any of the said images. It keeps it for a time in memory but after a while, they are lost. And on covert opps, class attribution popup, memorial and death reports on missions end, the game tries to load the portaits he did not save. And thus freezes or crash.

oddjobs

Do the new classes from the resistance faction seem incredibly strong to the rest of you? After getting my first reaper she blows away nearly every other character on my roster.

Haven't played this yet myself, but that's kind of supposed to be the point of them (to counter the Chosen) I guess - though I'd imagine it'll get bit more even down the line once you get proper equipment & skills for your standard soldiers.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

From my 2/3 done playthrough, there's drawbacks to each character type (reapers don't have as much damage per shot, the ex-advent have too many things to do with how many action points they have + a tiny 3-round clip, and the templars still needing to get into melee range and get kills to start rolling making them vulnerable even with the bouns movement) - but these drawbacks can be buffered with weapon mods and the like, not to mention the colonel (and some major) rank perks for the 'hero units'.

It feels (somewhat) like they're stepping stones to help you stay alive in the early/mid-game when the chosen are invading, or at least until your other units start reaching captain and higher.

(Though to be fair, the reaper, in particular, has a certain high level skill that's absolutely bonkers against the Chosen or the Alien Rulers)

Man, the Chosen Hunter is a bitch to deal with. His first appearance in my game completely wiped my best squad including two of my faction heroes. Is Hunter Rifle Shot just a 100% hit or something? He murdered my Reaper through full cover from full health, then did the same to my Skirmisher through half cover.

My version has regenerating health and immunity to explosions, too...with all the inane running and grappling around he does there was pretty much no way to kill him once he had taken two of my squad out.

And of course his weakness is to melee which seems like it's gonna be hard to exploit when he spends most of his turns on a roof somewhere.

I'm gonna save scum this mission just so I can get a handle on how to deal with him but I don't really have any great ideas other than pray he doesn't just one shot half my squad again.

Well, doing a Supply Raid with just 3 soldiers against an Andromodon, several Advent Soldiers and a Gatekeeper was not easy at all. Luckily I had already defeated the Chosen Assassin and Hunter so I have some insane weapons at my disposal. Also Soldier Bonds are great when leveled up. It gives you interesting options like Combined Strike (I think it's called) where a soldier and their mate both shoot at the same target. For the other soldier it's a free move. There's a lot of stuff I've only just started using and it's late August in the game!

Steel

Banned
When y'all try to change the items on a Grenadier wearing predator armour (so they have three slots in total), does the item selection window bug out and go blank? It's been repeatable for me--the only fix is to back up there (into a busted equipment window) and click the half-visible item button, which will fix the display and let you select your item like normal.

Yeah, had this happen. You can actually just click edit and go to the loadout and it'll work fine.

Jintor

I've been rereading my lps and man I put a lot of effort into stuff where all the images got fucking deleted when minus went offline

What's a good image hosting platform you reckon

Nete

I suppose there's a reason behind, but it annoys me that all the cosmetic mods seems to be releasing new versions instead updating the original mod. QoL mods seems more divided on that.

Time to dive in the workshop once again :(

I suppose there's a reason behind, but it annoys me that all the cosmetic mods seems to be releasing new versions instead updating the original mod. QoL mods seems more divided on that.

Time to dive in the workshop once again :(

Original mods are still fine for XCOM 2 vanilla, WotC's release didn't come with any patches. The updated ones are specifically for WotC.

I'm not a modder but I imagine it's about serving both groups.

Yeah, had this happen. You can actually just click edit and go to the loadout and it'll work fine.

That's a good tip, thanks!

Ok after 15 hours I can safely say that I am enjoying the game with the expansion far more than the vanilla version. Now I'm hoping the mods are updated by the time I finish my first campaign.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is there any quick guide of Dos and Don'ts for newcomers to the expansion? Something that helps me plan a bit ahead for my first playthrough, but doesn't necessarily go over the basics, since I'm familiar with the first XCOM already.

Top Bottom