• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Almighty

I am so hyped for this game. Normally I play my games on normal, but it feels like it would be wrong to play this game on anything less then classic. No Iron Man mode though at least not til after a few playthroughs.

rybrad

I can't decide whether to play this or Dishonored first, curse you Oct 9 and your bountiful quality gaming!

Jintor

Anybody done an LP before? I basically want to record the entire thing and then take screenshots from it (this is a post-based LP... you'll see what I mean when I start up my signup thread), what would ya'll recommend that ain't just fraps.

rybrad

Fine, I will play XCOM first. Who wants to posses a smelly, old rat when you can blast aliens in the face anyway?

Salsa

Anybody done an LP before? I basically want to record the entire thing and then take screenshots from it (this is a post-based LP... you'll see what I mean when I start up my signup thread), what would ya'll recommend that ain't just fraps.

the new Steam community stuff is good for this. You could upload the screenshots there and use the space below to keep a "journal". Cross-posting it on GAF

sfedai0

Banned
So will this version be more linear than the predecessor? Or can I play on indefinitely downing alien crafts?

Jintor

the new Steam community stuff is good for this. You could upload the screenshots there and use the space below to keep a "journal". Cross-posting it on GAF

I don't really trust myself to hit the screenshot button so I'd rather record the thing in a decent resolution and just cherry pick screenshots later. Any advice?

Tu101uk

I don't really trust myself to hit the screenshot button so I'd rather record the thing in a decent resolution and just cherry pick screenshots later. Any advice?
I use Bandicam personally, it's great and easy to use, but you have to pay a small fee. Of course, you've also got Fraps and other similar programs, but again most of them are paid programs.

If it's just for screenshot-grabbing after recording, Camstudio is free to download.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SUNKN.gif

Protein

Banned
Never played the original. Going Classic Ironman. Imalreadydead.jpg I know, but alien invasion, come on. NO alien invasion would be a cake walk. I hear 'normal' aliens get throttled a bit.

Jintor

I use Bandicam personally, it's great and easy to use, but you have to pay a small fee. Of course, you've also got Fraps and other similar programs, but again most of them are paid programs.

If it's just for screenshot-grabbing after recording, Camstudio is free to download.

thanks duder. can't wait to test it out

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I need to retrieve my save from my broken laptop. I was up to power armor and a second base :(

chixdiggit

The multiplayer video in the OP looks real good. Can't wait. Is it all timed rounds like in the video? Or is there a Frozen Synapse/Hero Academy type mode where you can play multiple games?

Jintor

No asyncronous, no hotseat, no play by email, but I can't see that it would be that difficult to patch in

Just played the demo. I'm really digging the customization aspect... I just wish it were a tiny bit more diverse. I would like different body types and heights; maybe be able to change the soldiers' flags. Is there customization parts to unlock in the game?

I've yet to play a western SRPG; I'm used to the Fire Emblems and Matsuno games (and love them), so this seems like the perfect one to start with. I really, really liked what I played of the demo. I just wish I had money because I would pre-order for all those goodies.

Mupod

I've yet to play a western SRPG; I'm used to the Fire Emblems and Matsuno games (and love them), so this seems like the perfect one to start with. I really, really liked what I played of the demo. I just wish I had money because I would pre-order for all those goodies.

I'd say XCOM has definitely been influenced by japanese SRPGs - in an early video Garth said one of his favorite games ever was FFT and he hadn't played the original X-COM before Jake made him. I personally think it reminds me the most of Front Mission (3-5), at least that was my immediate impression with the way the camera works, and having individual special skills on your soldiers.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It took me many attempts to get into the original when I played it on PSone back in 95-96 (with PS mouse I might add) but when I did it was one of the most rewarding games I've enjoyed. The 2k12 remake has been my most anticipated title of this year so I am looking forward to the 12th Oct. I just hope that it works with the DS3 without any gripes.

10 days to go.

Luigi87

Nice OP.
So hyped for this.
... I sincerely hope I don't have to work October 9th, but it's likely guaranteed that I will.

Tain

Really, really looking forward to this. I'd like to do ironman right off the bat, we'll see how that goes.

Such a stuffed month. I hope I'm done with RE6 by the time this comes out.

Mupod

I'm naming all my guys after MST3K characters

I went with a Space Mutiny naming scheme for the original when I first played it a few years ago. I went through so many Big Mclargehuges and Punch Rockgroins that I actually ran through the entire list and ended up making up new names in that style.

All I know this time is that I want an assault soldier named Bo Jackson who will make his career dashing past alien overwatch for bombs and power nodes.

I'm still torn between Xbox or PC on this. More of my friends are going xbox, and my PC barely runs it, but the mods and updates are tempting.

CzarTim

Great OP.

I recently got the original X-COM off Steam to try it out while waiting for the 9th. After reading some beginner's guides, I went into my first mission (playing on easy). My first soldier took one step off the craft and was immediately killed by an alien. So I decided to throw a smoke grenade to cover my disembarkment, but the second I threw one, a different alien shot into my craft, killing another soldier. I closed the game after that, heh. I love a difficult game, but I was really fighting the interface more than the aliens. I know it's almost 20 years old at this point, and I should give it another shot, but I might just wait until the 9th.

Top Bottom