• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

markot

Banned
honestly.

Im so sick of super uber space marine gears of war men >.> im actually thinking of skipping the game!

I mean they have their spot. WARHAMMER 40K.

But now they are everywhere. Its official, men are now twice the size of women apparently! And anyone, ever, who has testicles, and picks up a gun, gains 400 pounds of muscle.

honestly.

Im so sick of super uber space marine gears of war men >.> im actually thinking of skipping the game!

But now they are everywhere. Its official, men are now twice the size of women apparently! And anyone, ever, who has testicles, and picks up a gun, gains 400 pounds of muscle.

iXX5Yevn2GBJz.gif

Yeah, which makes it even sillier >_>

Space marines die in a glory of guts, glory and in the path of waves of enemies. Thats why they are the size of a house.

A 40k mod would be gnarly with like Orks as Mutons and Tyranids as Chrysalids hnghhhhh

markot

Banned
I mean, is it cause its on the unreal engine? Do they have no the ability to make 'normal' sized men? Some contract stipulation with Epic?!

Grimsen

honestly.

Thing is, apart from heavy weapons dudes, they're not the size of small automobiles.

XCOM_ELITE_SOLDIER_PACK_xl1.jpg

I know you're trying to be witty, but it ain't happenin' :p

TheBear

How does it play in comfy couch mode? Never played XCOM but this looks pretty rad.
Also, didn't the 60's FPS start development way before this?

markot

Banned
Im not trying to be witty... and all the dudes in the demo, apart from the scientists and annoying talking to you dude, were space marineeqsue.

rybrad

How does it play in comfy couch mode? Never played XCOM but this looks pretty rad.
Also, didn't the 60's FPS start development way before this?
Seems fine with a controller. If the weirdness (can't explain it, the general feel is just...off) of the M/K controls can't be tweaked when it is released, I might even opt for using my 360 controller on my PC.

Derrick01

Banned
honestly.

Who cares honestly? It has no effect on the game or how it plays.

Also one thing I immediately noticed in the demo was how much smaller my other guys were compared to the heavy weapon guy. He actually did look like one of the bros from Warhammer.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can't wait for dat XCOM goodness. Been waiting over a decade for this, hell, nearly two decades.

Classic mode, here I come. Bring the pain!

jwhit28

I haven't been this hyped for a game since Fallout 3. I'm kind of scared of how much time I will sink into it with the infinite campaign and multi-player.

So I had this preordered, but I figured it was time to finally give the original UFO Defense a try.

My first mission: seven kills (all outside the UFO), and four dead. Two died from random shots out of the darkness as XCOM units are wont to do, but the other two died from me being an idiot and not noticing the door to the UFO, so the Chrysalid popped out and capped 'em both.

What an amazing game, but man is it stressful, and the controls just are awful. I can't play more than one mission at a time without a break, but thankfully it takes like an hour to finish with an entire mission, base and intercept phase included.

So did they fix the bullets through walls issue? That was the biggest issue I saw in the demo (other than EXTREME HAND HOLDING, but I understood why).

Im not trying to be witty... and all the dudes in the demo, apart from the scientists and annoying talking to you dude, were space marineeqsue.

Eh I always though even the original xcom had a fairly over the top artstyle (at least in the cutscenes, drawn art), like the 90s xmen comics, etc.

jwhit28

Any word on the dev team's interest in releasing mod tools? I would understand if they aren't ready at release but are they in development?

epmode

Any word on the dev team's interest in releasing mod tools? I would understand if they aren't ready at release but are they in development?

As far as I know, nothing has been confirmed. It's pretty disappointing for a PC focused dev like Firaxis but I expect it to get Steam Workshop support if sales are good.

Nocebo

Can you have multiple bases? I thought you could only manage the one?
Yes, you can only have one base. And only one skyranger. I also read a post from Jintor in the XCom demo thread that UFO encounters seem to be less frequent than in the originals. The single base I can deal with but the other 2 are a little disappointing. Downing and exploring the various alien crafts was one of my favorite things ever next to randomly blowing stuff up with heavy explosives.

Speaking of which, since there's no real inventory for your troops anymore the equipment you can take with you is a lot more limited as well. Like you have to choose between bringing a scope or a grenade with you? Which to me, as a someone who used to have a xcom guy carrying at least 5 grenades into a mission, is kind of a downer. :(

Anyway, I'm jumping straight into ironman mode on classic difficulty. If I keep failing all the better, it would be like old times. I actually loved the building up part of the game the most.

Oh, I have a question about the engineering part of the game. It seemed like engineering could build something instantly. But can you do it as many times in a row as you want as long as you have money?
I saw this play through where a guy implied he had to choose between making scopes or making medkits. He made some scopes and left it at that. So what's the deal?

They have confirmed that the game will support mods, but most likely not at launch.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/17/xcom-enemy-unknown-to-support-mods-have-unique-ui-on-pc/
Best news ever!

In honor of Markot, my first named soldier shall be Brody Dudebro.

Private Dudebro shall be my first guy, regardless of how I feel about the name. Swift is my vengeance.

Jintor

Yes, you can only have one base. And only one skyranger. I also read a post from Jintor in the XCom demo thread that UFO encounters seem to be less frequent than in the originals. The single base I can deal with but the other 2 are a little disappointing. Downing and exploring the various alien crafts was one of my favorite things ever next to randomly blowing stuff up with heavy explosives.

Beginning to think this was just normal difficulty, classic is being trickier so far

Listening to the 3 Moves Ahead XCOM cast with Jake "Prototype" Solomon and it's very clear that the tactical game is vastly improved (it's true!)

Engineering - yes, so long as you've got the resources you can do whatever.

I think the way it works is that it takes time for you to make most things, but the more engineers you have it'll push the time down until it's instantaneous.

Excellent OP.

I ordered . . . if for no other reason that TF2 hats.
3AQmK.gif

Hopefully Firaxis succeeds in capturing the charm of the original.

Nocebo

Beginning to think this was just normal difficulty, classic is being trickier so far

Listening to the 3 Moves Ahead XCOM cast with Jake "Prototype" Solomon and it's very clear that the tactical game is vastly improved (it's true!)

Engineering - yes, so long as you've got the resources you can do whatever.

I think the way it works is that it takes time for you to make most things, but the more engineers you have it'll push the time down until it's instantaneous.
Ah so it seems you're getting more UFO's on classic difficulty? Great!
Building stuff with engineering does take time after all? That's also reassuring if true. Maybe the guys I saw playing had a build that had things setup to speed gameplay along or something.

I may have asked this before but can you hire and fire engineers and scientists or do you only gain them from missions?

Jintor

Build more workshops or gain through missions, no more deciding to dedicate your budget (or living quarters) to scientists. Disappointing but you gotta deal with it!

I can't recall if building, like, weapons took time, it was mainly stuff like SHIVs, fighter jets, satellite, that kinda thing.

Nocebo

Build more workshops or gain through missions, no more deciding to dedicate your budget (or living quarters) to scientists. Disappointing but you gotta deal with it!

I can't recall if building, like, weapons took time, it was mainly stuff like SHIVs, fighter jets, satellite, that kinda thing.
Alrighty. Thanks for answering my questions. 10 days to go argh.

McNum

I guess I'll make a Gaf steam group

GAFCOM
Gaming Age Forums Combat Unit? When it's up, I'd like to join.

Awesome OP, the classic banners are nice, and the little barb about first person shooter "remakes" was fun.

Now we wait. I wait for the 12th.

As a worldwide leader in the manufacture and distribution of laser rifles to the world in the original, I can definitely state that building weapons and ammo-anything really-in the original took time. Not a lot of time after you had enough engineers though. But certainly > 0, would expect that to be the same here.

Regarding mods- the Steamworks stuff has been a big hit for Civ 5, I wouldn't be surprised for them to go that route again for XCOM: EU at some point down the line.

Jintor

As a worldwide leader in the manufacture and distribution of laser rifles to the world in the original, I can definitely state that building weapons and ammo-anything really-in the original took time. Not a lot of time after you had enough engineers though. But certainly > 0, would expect that to be the same here.

Regarding mods- the Steamworks stuff has been a big hit for Civ 5, I wouldn't be surprised for them to go that route again for XCOM: EU at some point down the line.

Was talking about XCOM:EU (I have a review copy). Also should note - no more selling laser weapons on the grey market, you'll only be able to sell them when the council comes to you. You generally have a month to get your stuff together though.

This is probably because making laser cannons was more or less just generating income out of thin air and given how tightly balanced everything is on cost in the metagame a manufacturing arm would be gamebreaking.

Phoenix

I cannot wait... this game is the stuff of my dreams! I have waited for so sooooo long for this game to be released. The only game that I think I might want to see more is Xwing vs Tie Fighter.

doomquake

Was talking about XCOM:EU (I have a review copy). Also should note - no more selling laser weapons on the grey market, you'll only be able to sell them when the council comes to you. You generally have a month to get your stuff together though.

This is probably because making laser cannons was more or less just generating income out of thin air and given how tightly balanced everything is on cost in the metagame a manufacturing arm would be gamebreaking.

man..they need like a Rogue Xcom team expansion

M3d10n

WTF? I largely ignored everything about this game thinking it was yet another 5 hour AAAAAAA FPS reboot. Then I watched the videos in the OP and tears started flowing before I knew it. I definitely need this game!

Top Bottom