• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

FYI, for the other console peasants such a myself, Best Buy is still offering a $15 gift card for preorders of the console versions (might be PC version too). Locked mine in, even though I have absolutely no time to play this now.

No idea Best Buy was this, bought! Thanks for the info.

inky

No preload on Amazon =( At my current speed it's going to take me like 4 hours+ to download the whole game.

McNum

Oh, hey. The Steam Achievements are up.

I don't think I need to warn anyone, but there may be spoilers on that page. Like icons of certain enemies we aren't supposed to know of yet.

I wonder who's been playing to get stats up on these? Review copes, maybe?

One not-so spoilery achievement I can share:
"Beat the game on Impossible."
- 1.5% players have it at the moment. That's higher than I thought.

PKrockin

Wait, this game is on 360/PS3, too?! How did I never hear about that? I was going to skip it because my laptop can't handle it.

Jintor

Oh, hey. The Steam Achievements are up.

I don't think I need to warn anyone, but there may be spoilers on that page. Like icons of certain enemies we aren't supposed to know of yet.

I wonder who's been playing to get stats up on these? Review copes, maybe?

One not-so spoilery achievement I can share:
"Beat the game on Impossible."
- 1.5% players have it at the moment. That's higher than I thought.

a lot of those are supposed to be 'hidden' achievements, at least they are on the 360

I'm watching this.

http://www.gamespot.com/xcom-enemy-...tle-for-xcom-enemy-unknown-supremacy-6397801/

went live 3 hrs ago
plus there's this..

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - The Greg vs Pete Multiplayer Showdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKknJeqoUg

Yes i'm starved for Xcom media -__-
It's painful to watch other people playing. I feel like a veteran when watching some shmuck play! I'm yelling at the screen "Use run and gun!" An observer mode would be intolerable for me!

McNum

a lot of those are supposed to be 'hidden' achievements, at least they are on the 360
The interesting ones to me are the ones that have a placeholder icon. If the review code does generate stats and is the full version, then what are those? DLC?

Dizzy-4U

r6baX.png

My gaming OCD is killing me :|

yamo

Just tried the demo and liked it, however the controls felt a bit clunky. Sometimes I lost my soldier on the map and had a hard time scrolling back to him, only being able to scroll upwards on the screen. Also I didn't manage to rotate the screen with the mouse in any way. :(

Danj

Okay somehow this flew under my radar, but someone mentioned it was preloading today and I was all like "isn't that some FPS thing?" and they were like "no that's the other one that's in development hell, this is the strategy one" so I looked up the trailer and I was like "this looks like an action game" and they were like "check out this gameplay video" so I did and it looked awesome.

Thankfully Green Man Gaming's 25% off everything voucher deal is still on so I picked it up for cheap there and it's preloading on Steam now.

I do have one question though, both the GMG page and the OP of this thread says I should get a giftable copy of Civ 5, does that not turn up until the game comes out or something? Or do I get an email with a key, or what? Because I actually know someone I could give Civ 5 to, so that would be really useful.

EDIT: okay I'm an idiot, I see someone asked the exact same thing like 5 posts up from here.

Sotha Sil

The more I think about it, the more I feel like going ironman. I can't help but reload when a capable character dies (the Jagged Alliance series comes to mind), and it really cheapens victories. Should be fun.

red731

McNum

r6baX.png

My gaming OCD is killing me :|
Create a new category solely for X-Com games. Add all of the X-Com games to that. That way, the series won't be interrupted by other games beginning with an X.

...what? It's what I did with the Monkey Island games. Monkey Island 2 and The Secret of monkey Island would be pretty far from each other if I hadn't. Not to mention the five Tales of Monkey Island episodes.

By the way, XCOM: EU just vanished from the top sellers and coming soon lists. Odd. Did Vavle have to reset the game page to fix the worldwide release date when the preload started?

I expect to run maybe one or two missions, and then get into a multiplayer match or two with GAFCOM at around 10pm-11pm pst Monday night.

Jintor

I have an entire uni week to go through before it releases in AU. Lame.

I mean, I already finished the game once.

But still!

lame.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I have an entire uni week to go through before it releases in AU. Lame.

I mean, I already finished the game once.

But still!

lame.

:'[ and here I am not having played the game at all, I can't say I feel sorry for your punk ass!

</3

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Jake, if you are reading, pretty please with sugar on top add a spectator mode for multiplayer. I probably could watch people play all day.

McNum

Somebody has an entire Game of Thrones squad snapshotted on Steam.

The color customization is rad.
I plan to use it to color-code my squad so I can tell a soldier's class at a glance. Just need to pick the proper colors for that. Thinking of blue for Assault, red for Heavy, white for Sniper, yellow for Support and purple for anyone with psionic powers. Rookies will probably stay default colored.

Of course, I don't know how common psionics will be. And those that know can't tell yet.

Dakota47

Jake, if you are reading, pretty please with sugar on top add a spectator mode for multiplayer. I probably watch people play all day.

Either that or replays.

I plan to use it to color-code my squad so I can tell a soldier's class at a glance. Just need to pick the proper colors for that. Thinking of blue for Assault, red for Heavy, white for Sniper, yellow for Support and purple for anyone with psionic powers. Rookies will probably stay default colored.

Of course, I don't know how common psionics will be. And those that know can't tell yet.

Very good idea! I'm going to do that as well.

raphier

Banned

Implying that you will have difficulty to distinguish a person from a massive crowd of less than 10 guys ;)

pahamrick

I'm still trying to decide if I want my first time through to be on normal so I can get a better feel for the overall game, or just dive blind head first into Classic Ironman. Decisions, decisions.

Katori

So we can't use the GMG 25% code on this? It said it wasn't applicable but I swore someone in this thread mentioned it.

Top Bottom