• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

jorgejjvr

Really trying to like this game but:

- The game is straight up hideous...I feel like im slowly getting used to the blurry graphics but everyonce in a while im just taken back by how ugly the game is.

- The hud is cluttered as hell...too much screen real estate is taken up by the big ass block that contains the enemies name and health bar...is there no way to get rid of this.

-character just dont feel connected to the world...anything between a slow walk and a full run looks awkward as it appears like the character is just gliding over the land.

Im only maybe an hour or two in, just got to some cave with Reyn, Fiora and Shulk to get some fuel canisters or something...so I still need to give it more time. But the game does not give a good visual impression. I'm thinking they should have held off until their next hardware iteration.
Play a bit more, the game clicked with me after a certain event. And I could not stop afterwards. This is an amazing game, please give it a longer chance

Sat down to play this for a while yesterday. I didn't realize how much I missed playing this on the Wii, and it was only last year!

When Dunban first came onscreen I was already smiling from ear to ear. Hearing all of the in battle shouts brings me right back. Now I just have to remember which of Reyn's Arts are good or not. It'll come back to me.

DagsJT

Receipts are in the eshop options menu. Have you checked there?

Yep, no code. I've had a code for a free theme when I bought MH4 so already knew where to go but the Xenoblade receipt is just a standard receipt with no code section unfortunately.

Ventara

Having a blast so far, and I just love how easy it is to get sidetracked.

"I know some serious shit is going down right now, and I'll be right there as soon as I collect that glowing blue orb across the shore."

*gets to blue orb*

"OMG! There's another glowing blue orb in the distance! BRB, guys!"

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The more I play this game I get even more astounded that this thing is playable on a N3DS

I complained about the graphics after playing for 30 minutes. After 3 hours, I agree , this game is a technical achievement. I can't believe I'm playing it on a portable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm pretty happy with the game so far after adjusting to navigating such an open world on a small screen. But I gotta agree, the giant, ugly nameplates for enemies is totally ridiculous and gets in the way. It's a real shame.

There's just no reason for it, especially since the game throws up teeny tiny text all the time with no fucks given for readability. But the thing you gotta stare at non-stop in combat obscures the damn thing you're trying to target.

oakenhild

First time playing and have 6.5 hours in so far. It's better than I expected. The combat is fun and chaotic, and the story is keeping me engaged so far.

Some of these battles are no joke...such as fighting that giant mechon while trying to save juju on the way to colony 6. I think I had to revive each party member 3-5 times each. Barely survived that one. Not sure if it was supposed to be that hard or not, but it took me quite a while to beat!

The more I play this game I get even more astounded that this thing is playable on a N3DS

I keep thinking the same thing. Apart from the muddy textures, this is a full on console open world JRPG on my 3DS and that's crazy.

Didn't think there was any chance the framerate would be this good because the framerate for Lego City Undercover was horrible and it even had a ton of fog to hide the crappy draw distance.

sörine

Banned
I really love everything about this port except for the budgetware menu design. I sort of expected better from Nintendo and Monster, it almost feels like it's placeholder.

mauaus

First time playing and have 6.5 hours in so far. It's better than I expected. The combat is fun and chaotic, and the story is keeping me engaged so far.

Some of these battles are no joke...such as fighting that giant mechon while trying to save juju on the way to colony 6. I think I had to revive each party member 3-5 times each. Barely survived that one. Not sure if it was supposed to be that hard or not, but it took me quite a while to beat!
what level were you in that fight

Adamator

Finally started playing tonight. Love it already.

I have an issue with the controls and UI. It says I can press start when a new tutorial is available but nothing happens when I press start.

It also says I can see an item's "qualities" when I press start, but again, it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

Revenile

I was hooked from the introduction (complete newcomer to Xenoblade) and to me the game looks great when considering how freaking huge these maps are. Just got to Gaur Plains and I literally said aloud "holy crap" at just how big it was and how much stuff was being shown in the intro cutscene. It may not be a looker in terms of texture resolution but oh man the fact they got a game with maps this size with a draw distance that far to work at a almost always stable frame rate no stutters from crossing such a vast map is nothing short of remarkable.

Lumyst

sörine;159790165 said:
I really love everything about this port except for the budgetware menu design. I sort of expected better from Nintendo and Monster, it almost feels like it's placeholder.

That's exactly how I feel too, it's really neat to have portable Xenoblade, but after playing Deus Ex HR on the WiiU I was hoping Nintendo would do a full on reworking like Straight Right did for DeusEx, to use a touchscreen to make playing a huge RPG more convenient. It's like Nintendo is falling short compared to what others have done.

You were under leveled or you're not using your Arts to the best of their abilities.

At that point I'm level 21.

I'm having trouble there too. I'm level 20, and i'm actually holding my own against him, got him very close without any revives yet.

but i'm a little confused about the seeing the future stuff. I know it has to be more complicated than just using shield. what else should i be doing when I warn Reyn for example? Which art should i be using?

I'm having trouble there too. I'm level 20, and i'm actually holding my own against him, got him very close without any revives yet.

but i'm a little confused about the seeing the future stuff. I know it has to be more complicated than just using shield. what else should i be doing when I warn Reyn for example? Which art should i be using?

If it's a talent art (white text) use Shield, and if it's a physical attack (blue text) use Speed on the character being targeted. You can also topple an enemy to delay the attack or daze it to knock it out of the attack.

Thoraxes

sörine;159790165 said:

I tried moving stuff with the stylus and then nothing happened :(

That's pretty much the only major thing I wanted them to add. Would make gear/inventory stuff so much faster.

ramyeon

If it's a talent art (white text) use Shield, and if it's a physical attack (blue text) use Speed on the character being targeted. You can also topple an enemy to delay the attack or daze it to knock it out of the attack.
Physical are red text, blue is an ether attack.

Late game spoilers ahead.
Just got to Agniratha. The whole Mechonis section post Hidden Village drags on a bit. Very large areas which all look very similar thematically, not broken up by any towns, and all the enemies are Mechon. Not my favorite section of the game that's for sure.

magnetic

sörine;159790165 said:

Yeah, seriously! Good menu design is a big part of RPGs for me. I especially miss an "optimize" button for equipment (like in Bravely Default), and it took me way too long to realize that in order to upgrade an art, I not only had to purchase a book, but manually read it in a tab that I completely overlooked. The menus feels very clunky and unsatisfying.

As for the graphics, it's swings wildly between breathtaking views across Gaur Plain and then very ugly closeups in smaller areas like caves, where it looks very drab. The draw distance is really the big thing it has going for it, so it obviously looks best when it can capitalize on it.

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind! During the battle to save JuJu I had this come up and since shield wasn't an option, i did the warn Reyn thing and got him to agro the boss which grabbed his attention away from me, allowing me to heal.

it was awesome. i'm loving this game.

I'm about 6 hours in, just barely made it into Gaur Plains. I love this so far, it is an absolute adventure and it doesn't pull any punches. I feel like I'm learning a new type of gameplay quite well, it's like a puzzle in itself to understand the battle aystem. The world is massive too, you can tell it's pushing the system.

CassSept

Late game spoilers ahead.
Just got to Agniratha. The whole Mechonis section post Hidden Village drags on a bit. Very large areas which all look very similar thematically, not broken up by any towns, and all the enemies are Mechon. Not my favorite section of the game that's for sure.

The music though.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The nameplates on enemies can be turned off, no?

Anyway, i am 8 hrs in and just got to colony 6 (lol). Fucking long game.

The graphics are giving me bad migraines and i can only play a little at a time. Game was ugly on wii, yea, but theres much to be said about playing a game like this on a big screen.

Not looking forward to the ether mines. God that segment goes just a tad too long but the best is yet to come.

"8 hours in and he calles it a long game"
statler-waldorf-o03uuy.gif

TheMoon

My conspiracy theory on why this game came out...

Amiibo shortages.

Nintendo's way to placate the hardcore.

Sure, they knew 2 years ago, back before they even came up with amiiibo, that there would be amiibo shortages (which only really exist in NA and only recently hit EU). I know it's a joke but step up your conspiracy game :p

Sure, they knew 2 years ago, back before they even came up with amiiibo, that there would be amiibo shortages (which only really exist in NA and only recently hit EU). I know it's a joke but step up your conspiracy game :p

Let me get some charts and stuff together. I will make it pretty.

So two days after launch here in NA I still think this is amazing that it is on a handheld.

The music though.
Damn straight. I love the Mechonis Field track <3

I still need to properly start the game myself (already did a near 100% 120+ hours run on wii though) on 3DS but I can't wait for me to get in the groove again.

And I better hurry up because in 17 days, give or take, the spiritual sequel is getting unlocked on my system. That's bound to take my free time away from me haha.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Might start my playthrough today. I still don't have everything planned out for the end of the game, but all the early game stuff should be set. Not a speed run, so if it's not perfect it doesn't really matter. Just don't want it to drag on.

What's the recommended Dolphin build/settings? I'm still rocking the old 7714 build for Xenoblade, but there is probably something newer for it.

Putosaure

I'm at that point too. I'm just grinding for the moment killing the mobs around and exploring a little bit. I'll try to beat
the giant mechon
when I'll be at level 19-20 or something.

Mat-triX

I've beaten the game twice and still find it unbelievable that it takes me 8 hours to barely scratch the surface.

I'm currently 120 hours in at Level 80 (on the Wii version) finishing off side quests before beating the last area. I have no clue how someone could get to Level 99 without fighting literally everything (I ignore enemies of lower level than me).

sörine

Banned
I don't mind the lack of touchscreen menu navigation since the game is lretty much all menu driven anyway and I like my buttons. I do mind that the touchscreen menu we did get is ugly as fuck though with zero customization. :/

ZeroX03

Banned
I am totally confused and disappointed that the touch screen wasn't used. Would have made a lot of the menu stuff a lot less convoluted.

Why. The. Fuck.

No thanks

Well Monster Games developed the port. So not sure why he has anything to do with it.

Also stop. If you know fee free to share. Don't send people off to a long interview.

Touch screen wasn't used at all. Seems like laziness to me.

more classic baby buster

ZeroX03

Banned
If done my best to ignore you. Being in the amiibo thread a lot especially.

So please. Leave me alone and don't attack me. I've reported you to mods.

You've broken the truce.

Broken the truce? The hell are you talking about? All you ever did was PM insults at me which I'm glad to share with any mods who have a problem, it goes both ways.

If you'd done your best to ignore me you would have used the forum ignore function too.

Top Bottom