• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: reviews thread

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hi GAF, reviews are coming!

original.jpg

GamesRadar – 4.5 / 5
"It may not be the best version of Xenoblade, but it’s a version of it – and that makes it a whole lot better than most."

GameSpot – 8 / 10
"While it's an inferior proposition to its initial release in 2011, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D remains superior to the majority of RPGs"

Nintendo Life – 9 / 10
"A brilliant portable version of a true classic, fans of RPGs willing to commit themselves to the task of saving Bionis shouldn't hesitate to pick this up - it is, quite simply, the biggest world we've experienced on such small screens."

Gamereactor UK – 9 / 10
"Pros: Lengthy adventure with lots of quests and things to do. A wide range of weapons and armour to choose from. Flawless soundtrack. An absolutely thrilling game.
Cons: It inherits some of the visual problems that were also present in the original game. Some sounds effects can't be heard properly unless you are using headphones."

Nintendo Insider - 9/10
"Xenoblade Chronicles 3D delivers a welcome chance to experience a game, whether for the first time or as a repeated journey, that undeniably helped to redefine the Japanese RPG genre. Whether to explore the world, experience its gripping storyline, revel in battle or all of the above, it’s a reminder of a game that will forever stand the test of time."

ntower.de: 10/10

Wiitalia: 9/10
"Who missed the original Wii version should really look forward for this port, waiting for its spiritual successor on the Wii U"

Gamer.nl- 8.5

Power Unlimited- 6.8

IGN Benelux- 8.2

IGN Italy: 8.5

XGN.nl- 9

Nintendo World Report: 9/10
"Pros: Engaging story; Wonderful, deep real-time combat; Exciting worlds to explore; Reyn time
Cons: Ugly graphics; Side quests can become a miserable grind"

GameXplain: "Liked it"

GameInformer
: 9/10
"Xenoblade Chronicles remains a must-play RPG. While this version doesn't do anything special to entice old fans to return, it still holds the same fun it did the first time around. Don't let it pass you by again if it did previously; this world captivates and takes hold of you like a great game should."

Examiner.com: 4/5

GoNintendo
" If there’s any game out there right now that fully captures what the New 3DS can accomplish, it’s Xenoblade Chronicles 3D."

NintendOn.it: 8.8/10

GameZone: 9/10
"A perfect port of the Wii game, now in the palm of your hands. Even with some of the technical limitations, it's astounding that the game in its entirety was able to fit on a 3DS."

VGnetwork.it: 8.5/10

Attack of the fanboy: 4.5/5
"Offering up some of the most unique gameplay to the genre over the last decade, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D shows exactly why the game was so beloved on the Wii and this time it is actually affordable."

4Gamers.be: 85/100

Will update step by step.

really want to know how it stacks with the wii version. Never played it before but i still don't want to feel like something is missing if i go the 3ds route.

rjinaz

Reading the reviews it seems like the consensus is that the port isn't all that impressive, but the high scores comes from how good the game is on its own.

Gamesradar -
As is probably clear, Xenoblade is a game we have real affection for, not to mention an 80 hour save file still sitting on Wii. And that’s 80 hours without finishing hundreds of quests and with most of a destroyed colony still in need of rebuilding. In this light, the concept of having a tiny Xenoblade in our pocket to chip away at is enticing enough to outweigh the flaws. It may not be the best version of Xenoblade, but it’s a version of it – and that makes it a whole lot better than most.

Gamespot -
While it's an inferior proposition to its initial release in 2011, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D remains superior to the majority of RPGs. The move to 3DS has harmed the act of playing, but if you can look past the clunky signage and questionable 3D then you'll find a game that remains an amazing high point for the genre, one that'll absorb you right up to its glorious finale.

Nintendolife -
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is a high-quality port of one of the Wii's most demanding yet brilliant experiences. A sizeable and stunningly diverse world, full of wildlife and fantastical cultures, is admirably recreated for the small screens of the New Nintendo 3DS. Its natural home may be on the TV, but this release gives more gamers an opportunity to set off on a lengthy and dramatic adventure. A brilliant portable version of a true classic, fans of RPGs willing to commit themselves to the task of saving Bionis shouldn't hesitate to pick this up - it is, quite simply, the biggest world we've experienced on such small screens.

Gamereactor UK -
It doesn't matter if you played the original game some years ago or if you are just looking for an adventure (or an excuse) to start using your New Nintendo 3DS. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D offers around 70 hours (or 120 if you want to achieve 100%) worth of adventure in which you will have to fight, explore, collect items, cheer up your characters, manage your party and prevent a terrible future from happening.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D just again highlights those qualities that made the original a new benchmark for the JRPG genre.

Please no. I feel like I only just began MH4U.

Kidding. I'm hoping this is good because I've been meaning to play Xenoblade and it being portable would be great.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Reading the reviews it seems like the consensus is that the port isn't all that impressive, but the high scores comes from how good the game is on its own.

the port IS actually good. Monster games did a good job. fact is that the game was/is really massive and of course its scale transaltes as an inferior version from home console to portable system.

PS: I've played and reviewed the game. Not that this "justify" my point of view, but I'd just want to share my opinion.

Penguin

So a decent, but not great port, but the underlying game remains amazing

May still pick it up... an excuse to dig in it again

The original Wii game is pretty great outside of some menus. Not sure how the 3DS port holds up in comparison, it doesn't seem to make any improvements, but it sounds like it's not an awful port.
If anyone liked the FFXV demo, this game has a similar game world but with a lot more freedom in where you can go, fast travel, swimming, etc.
If you see it, you can likely reach it in Xenoblade.
Also, as someone that's disappointed by many of the traditional JRPG conventions, Xenoblade handles them pretty well. You don't need to grind ,the combat is active but still strategic, it handles exploration well allowing you to stray off the path, but you won't get lost, and very few trope-y characters.

The GamesRadar+ review convinced me...
GamesRadar+ said:
In this light, the concept of having a tiny Xenoblade in our pocket to chip away at is enticing enough to outweigh the flaws. It may not be the best version of Xenoblade, but it’s a version of it – and that makes it a whole lot better than most.

Hiltz

Seems like it would've been a way better idea to release the original digitally for Wii U instead of this port.

I thought that as well and its still a good idea to do. However, Japanese gamers in particular are more supportive of the 3DS than Wii U, so perhaps this port will do better than the original Xenoblade did on Wii. Based on the 6 months of data from Mediacreate, Xenoblade only sold 161,161 copies between June - Dec 2010.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I really really loved the original, one of my all time favorite games I think. I don't see any reason to replay it on 3DS though, but it's nice to see that the port is decent enough. Great for those who never played the original on Wii for some reason!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really really loved the original, one of my all time favorite games I think. I don't see any reason to replay it on 3DS though, but it's nice to see that the port is decent enough. Great for those who never played the original on Wii for some reason!

this was my main issue too.
But I loved to unlock the OST songs and the gallery mode models.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Regarding framerate, I expect the dips present in the Wii version to be present here. None of those reviews even touches on the topic.

I did in my review, but it's in Italian and still waiting to be uploaded ;p
I've encountered some dips in the later stages of the game, as in the Wii one.
generally speaking, it's enjoyable on the N3ds.

Kozuka

I never played it on Wii and don't want to through my Wii U until the Shitmote is required for any cases like plugging a old classic controller.

With that in mind and considering i'm a jrpg enthusiast who's okay with graphics disappointment if the feeling is smooth and framedrops-free, would it worth my cash ?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm playing through my Wii version right now ! I had totally forgotten that I bought this game years ago and never played it on my Wii. Playing through it on Wii U right now, haha.

Ridley327

I never played it on Wii and don't want to through my Wii U until the Shitmote is required for any cases like plugging a old classic controller.

With that in mind and considering i'm a jrpg enthusiast who's okay with graphics disappointment if the feeling is smooth and framedrops-free, would it worth my cash ?

If you're comfortable with MMO-style combat, I can't see any reason not to recommend the game to fans of the genre.

"It’s one of the best JRPGs in a generation, capable of inspiring wonder - and it fits in your hand. It may have been one of the Wii’s swansongs but it’s a great start for the New 3DS."

As stated though, there is really no reason to play it again if you have already.
Yeah, it isn't like the DKCR where they fixed the motion controls and added some more levels.
Even then, I would point people to Tropical Freeze instead.

David Jenkins' review for GameCentral also went live: http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/25/xenoblade-chronicles-3d-review-new-but-not-improved-5120197/

That aside, I'm disappointed about the 3D effect in this game, and these reviews have substantiated my fears.

Last night, I noticed the eShop page for the game went live on the Japanese eShop, complete with 3D screenshots. I was really disappointed by how little depth there was between all the different layers in-game -- it looked like a 2D image had been pushed into the distance, with a large gap between HUD and game world, followed by barely any distance between all the different elements in that world.

Fast forward to today's reviews and it seems my fears have been confirmed. GC's review states that "there’s no compensation from the 3D effect either, which is rarely used in any interesting way".

I have also been told that GamesTM's review said something to the effect of how the 3D effect may as well not be there...

This is disappointing, Xenoblade's world is a great candidate for a super deep 3D effect where you can pick out all the different objects on screen. Like Monster Hunter 4's, or Ocarina of Time 3D's. Monster Games also did a great job at implementing 3D in Donkey Kong Country Returns, so I don't know what has happened here.

Solid reviews so far. It's really an incredible, amazing game and to think it can now be played on the go is astounding! Whoever hasn't played this yet, needs to play it!

radcliff

Which looks better: the 3DS remake on its smaller screen, or the original Wii version played on a large HDTV? I was thinking the inferior 3DS graphics may actually look better on its smaller screen than the superior Wii version blown up on a large screen. Has anyone done such comparisons?

Yeah, it isn't like the DKCR where they fixed the motion controls and added some more levels.

What else could they really add to Xenoblade?

I mean, there was that one area that was technically finished but not included in the game, I guess they could have thrown some NPCs there and have them give you a sidequest or two. But there were almost too many sidequests in the original release.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

yeah, similar situation.

DKCR was a very good game. The 3DS port is somehow inferior in terms of pure tech, but still very good and enjoyable. But there is a pure sequel out there, that is even better than the original.

Xenoblade is a great game. The 3DS port is somehow inferior in terms of pure tech, but still very good and enjoyable. But there (almost) is a spiritual sequel out there, that seems on par with the original.

Top Bottom