• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: reviews thread

Maedhros

battle system is identical to the Wii version. and I was surprised by how it still work on the smaller portable screens.
What do you dislike about it? I think it was a very good BS, honestly. I'd also say that is one of the few cases where I was looking to battle against monsters because of the pleasure of the BS.

There's 0 punch to the battle, you know. The swords don't collide with anything and the numbers goes up. Kinda like a MMO, but worse than some I've played (like Ragnarok Online, for example).

A turn based battle system would be better, IMO.

The rest looks pretty good. The world, the music...

Griss

There's 0 punch to the battle, you know. The swords don't collide with anything and the numbers goes up. Kinda like a MMO, but worse than some I've played (like Ragnarok Online, for example).

A turn based battle system would be better, IMO.

The rest looks pretty good. The world, the music...

The battle system is the biggest flaw in Xenoblade. It's fun to control and you have lots of options. The 'player side' is pretty much fine. The problem is that the enemies don't develop any kind of AI or special abilities to test your skills. For 98% of the game, you can be shulk, run to the back on an enemy, backslash, use other skills, and get by that way. The game only ever asks you to actually think about what you're doing a handful of times across the entire game, making the majority of battles sheer busywork once you know what you're doing. It's more fun busywork than the average JRPG because you're actually controlling your character, but it feels like busywork rather than anything challenging or tactical all the same.

LAA

Ah reviews out now, cool.
So I'm getting the impression people think the Wii version is the more superior, was sorta expecting this though I suppose, though with the n3DS version, I may actually be able to complete it and master the gameplay more, which I never feel I truly got on the Wii.

That said, its daunting to think of everything I'll have to do again, ha ha. I must have done every side quest all the way to the start of the "Mechonis area"

Maedhros

The battle system is the biggest flaw in Xenoblade. It's fun to control and you have lots of options. The 'player side' is pretty much fine. The problem is that the enemies don't develop any kind of AI or special abilities to test your skills. For 98% of the game, you can be shulk, run to the back on an enemy, backslash, use other skills, and get by that way. The game only ever asks you to actually think about what you're doing a handful of times across the entire game, making the majority of battles sheer busywork once you know what you're doing. It's more fun busywork than the average JRPG because you're actually controlling your character, but it feels like busywork rather than anything challenging or tactical all the same.

Yup, that's what I thought from seeing some videos.

The game is gorgeous, though.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Really want to get this but have some trepidation due to XB-X coming for Wii U and I don't want to be burnt out by the time XB-X releases.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'm disappointed in the uncreative use of the Shulk Amiibo, as well as the lack of new features. Still excited for this regardless as it was the best JRPG of the last decade IMO. I'm glad more gamers will finally get the chance to experience it.

I don't have 70 hours to spend on a game...
...but this seems to be such an awesome adventure :'(

I may buy it even if I play a few dozen hours. How long does the game takes to be interesting?
Don't say after "Screen Title" lol (even if this screen has sort of hypnotized me making want to play it more)

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Chû Totoro;157414564 said:

I may buy it even if I play a few dozen hours. How long does the game takes to be interesting?
Don't say after "Screen Title" lol (even if this screen has sort of hypnotized me making want to play it more)

I was hooked an hour in. But I also like MMO-type RPG games which this is.

shark sandwich

After the first hour or two I was hooked. As soon as you get the opportunity to explore the huge environments you won't want to stop.

Malus

The setting is the real selling point of the game and it's pretty awesome from the starting village. Once you get to the Gaur Plains (What, 10 hours in?) you start to see the real scale and beauty of this game.

Shiina

I'll need to read some of those reviews. I could just emulate this game (again) and make it look great but I do love playing games on handhelds.

It's only one of the most critically acclaimed rpgs in the last decade after all, so I can see why you are not sure

Because the acclaim of the games enthusiast press carries so much weight. You'll forgive me if I dont blindly follow paid fanboys and develop my own opinions.

jamsy

I never had a Wii, so I was never able to check this game out, but I have to say, the 3DS port just looks awful. I mean, there's only so much they could do, considering how underpowered the system is, not to mention the abysmal resolution of Nintendo's handheld.

I don't have a N3DS, but even if I did, I wouldn't pick this up. Compared to some screenshots I've seen of the game running on Dolphin, I don't think I'd be able to put up with these frankly horrible visuals.

I was hooked an hour in. But I also like MMO-type RPG games which this is.

I used to play J-RPG but my favourites are on Snes, Playstation or Dreamcast... I'm not into MMOs and I don't like Monster Hunter.

I'm not sure what I'm saying helps but do you think I could enjoy it?

note : I'm trying hard to find a justification but I know I'm going to buy this since I have to try one of the best games of last gen... (I'm so weak)

Edit :
The setting is the real selling point of the game and it's pretty awesome from the starting village. Once you get to the Gaur Plains (What, 10 hours in?) you start to see the real scale and beauty of this game.

And we're done... pre ordered (EU version here). I've said it, I'm weak
but can I live without at least having tried this game? :p

Fandangox

Varies from person to person, I liked it almost after the beginning, when I was messing around the colony, although I didn't really get into it until I reached the Gaur Plain.

The battle system is the biggest flaw in Xenoblade. It's fun to control and you have lots of options.
Oh, so I wasn't crazy when I dropped the game because I was not liking the battle system? Cool. Willing to give it another shot on 3DS.

It being portable is a big appeal to me because I got nothing to do when I go to my parent's home. That is when I tend to play my RPGs.

Jimrpg

Now that they are releasing wii games on the wii u shop, I'd much rather they put up the wii version for download. I'd pay full price so they don't lose money on the 3DS version.

Kadin

So it seems like, from what I'm gathering, is that this version doesn't really warrant a purchase if you already have the Wii version. I mostly play my 3DS at home so I'm guessing it's worth passing for the time being. I was just hoping for some improvements to entice me to double dip.

So, the 3D is faked in this one? No thanks. The nerve of them to include it in the name if it isn't true 3D.

It was the only redeeming feature of this version. I can't stand when devs do that in 3DS games like EOIV and now even moreso that the N3DS has better 3D with the tracking.

shark sandwich

Chû Totoro;157415827 said:
I used to play J-RPG but my favourites are on Snes, Playstation or Dreamcast... I'm not into MMOs and I don't like Monster Hunter.

I'm not sure what I'm saying helps but do you think I could enjoy it?

note : I'm trying hard to find a justification but I know I'm going to buy this since I have to try one of the best games of last gen... (I'm so weak)

I think so. It's nothing like Monster Hunter. The battle system is a little MMO-ish. You have all these skills with their own cooldown timers. You only control one character at a time while AI controls the rest. Managing aggro and using your teammates synergistically are both super important (e.g. some characters have moves that do massive damage from the rear or sides, or have status effects that can be built upon e.g. some moves can inflict "daze" status, other moves can inflict "topple" on a dazed enemy, other moves can inflict "stun" on a toppled enemy, etc.).

Also, weapons and armor show up on your characters and they are unique to each character (e.g. if you equip the same armor on all 3 party members they will still look completely different). It's an awesome touch that I wish more JRPGs would do.

Kadin

So, the 3D is faked in this one? No thanks. The nerve of them to include it in the name if it isn't true 3D.

It was the only redeeming feature of this version. I can't stand when devs do that in 3DS games like EOIV and now even moreso that the N3DS has better 3D with the tracking.
Yeah I was just watching GameXplain's review video and they said the feature should just be turned off. I like to use the feature finally since it works better on the N3DS and to have this part work so poor (or virtually non-existent) is disappointing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
updated with review up to Game Informer. some link or quote is missing, but I hope OP is clear and satisfying enough.

the port IS actually good. Monster games did a good job. fact is that the game was/is really massive and of course its scale transaltes as an inferior version from home console to portable system.

PS: I've played and reviewed the game. Not that this "justify" my point of view, but I'd just want to share my opinion.

I have the Wii version, have never played it; I've always meant to, just never have.

This seems like the prefect experience for me, as I play on handhelds more than console.

I'd like to know (love 3D, love it even more on N3DS): how is the 3D effect in this game?

Amen to this. I'm actually playing Persona 4 Golden right now and I'm pretty sure Xenoblade and that game are my favourite JRPGs ever

I didn't expect to enjoy persona 4 golden. But hot Damn if it isn't one of my favorite rpgs of all time.

Never did play xenoblade. As I'll be in the hospital for a few days when it releases I'll definitely check it out.

Ridley327

Because the acclaim of the games enthusiast press carries so much weight. You'll forgive me if I dont blindly follow paid fanboys and develop my own opinions.

To be fair, Xenoblade is one of those rare games where it was not only highly regarded by the press, but even more highly regarded by fans.

Nightbird

I only said I was a little disappointed. No doubt this is still a great game but I was hoping for something to make this new version more essential. For example, most people would recommend playing Persona 4: The Golden over the original.

Yeah, but Persona 4 Golden released on stronger Hardware no weaker Hardware. So its clear that there were only going to be improvements.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have the Wii version, have never played it; I've always meant to, just never have.

This seems like the prefect experience for me, as I play on handhelds more than console.

I'd like to know (love 3D, love it even more on N3DS): how is the 3D effect in this game?

I think this could be a good experience for you.
The 3D effect (I disagree with other reviews on this) is not very strong, but stable on the N3ds, and help a little bit in reading the space around you (more depth in reading locations and enemy/player positioning)

Astral Dog

I'm not even sure it was a top 10 one let alone the best. Maybe being portable will mask some of its deficiencies.
what? Xenoblade was critically acclaimed and well recieved, among the hardcore niche that bought it at least, it also has a positive thread every now and then.

Hey guys, Ash from GameXplain here! I reviewed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and came to post a link, but it looks like you all long since beat me to it. ;)

That said, I also have a written review published on Game On/Examiner that's slightly longer than my GameXplain one and hasn't been added to the OP yet, so here's the link for that. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars (numerical scores are required there):

http://www.examiner.com/review/xeno...view-still-feeling-it-but-maybe-a-little-less

Not quite faked - there is an incredibly subtle 3D effect with the slider engaged - but yeah, it's so slight and shallow that it almost might as well not even be there. It certainly doesn't add anything. That's not too surprising based on what Nintendo's been saying about how difficult the porting process was, but it's still kind of a shame.

Thanks all for your answers, I think I'll enjoy the game.

Being a completely new adventure for me will also add a lot I guess. And since I'm looking at Xenoblade X too I think it may be a good indicator whether I'm still into J-RPGs and more importantly if I can still be motivate to start such big games.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
definitely my GOTG, still unsure about how such a gigantic game being ported on a handheld can be considered a good decision. That said, preordered

Top Bottom