• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

Oxx

warpaint said:
thats what i'm not sure of

The Nintendo Europe line is 'later this year', but I think the voice-actor who first mentioned the existence of a localisation said it was coming in September.

Indyana

Cygnus X-1 said:
Confirmed or rumored?
From the Xenoblade |OT| thread:

I don't know french but a Spanish site reported that in this interview:
http://www.gamekyo.com/videofr19217_interview-nintendo-france-e3-2011.html

Mathieu Minel marketing director of Nintendo France confirmed Xenoblade Chronicles September European launch. He was asked about The Last Story and he answered that he couldn't talk about it because he was in America, but he hopes it will get localized and Pandora's Tower too.

Source in Spanish: http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...rma-xenoblade-chronicles-septiembre-6509.html

wazoo

Indyana said:
From the Xenoblade |OT| thread:

I don't know french but a Spanish site reported that in this interview:
http://www.gamekyo.com/videofr19217_interview-nintendo-france-e3-2011.html

Mathieu Minel marketing director of Nintendo France confirmed Xenoblade Chronicles September European launch. He was asked about The Last Story and he answered that he couldn't talk about it because he was in America, but he hopes it will get localized and Pandora's Tower too.

Source in Spanish: http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...rma-xenoblade-chronicles-septiembre-6509.html

the original interview is here

http://www.gameblog.fr/news_23084_e3-interview-de-mathieu-minel-nintendo-france

[Nintex] said:
All NoE and NOA do is handle the localization, marketing and distribution. Every release from Brain Training to Xenoblade is decided by NCL.

Multiple people with direct knowledge on this subject have posted in this thread to disagree with your claim. It is simply factually untrue that NCL decide 100% of the schedules of the American and European branches, even if they do ultimately have oversight approval.

Shiggy

charlequin said:
Multiple people with direct knowledge on this subject have posted in this thread to disagree with your claim. It is simply factually untrue that NCL decide 100% of the schedules of the American and European branches, even if they do ultimately have oversight approval.

Without NCL's approval NoE and NoA cannot publish a game though (as evidenced by Jam with the Band), so NoE and NoA have very limited decision-making rights.

Also pretty much confirmed by Denise Kaigler in 2009:
* The number of Japanese titles that don't make it over has been a burning question in a number of folks' minds, so I asked about how that works. Denise told me Nintendo of America actually has very-little-to-no say about which titles escape Japan to go worldwide; NCL makes all decisions when porting games to new regions.

And actually, the story about the weak dollar does make sense, doesn't it? NCL tries to avoid currency risks related to the dollar, thus they only want to release "safe" projects in the US as gamers there don't seem to buy anything else.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
charlequin said:
I don't know the situation with America, which I doubt it's very different, but at least for Europe NCL has the last word for the localization or not of a game.

RPGCrazied

Has Nintendo Power ever announced a game? How else would they for NA? E3 came and went. They won't at TGS, that's a Japanese game show. This game must come out. I do have my Wii hacked, but really hate the fact I'll have to spend $100 just to import., I will if I have to though. :(

I just want it released in my region. Why NoA would skip this game, specially when the Wii's line-up is pretty fucking dry right now. You got Zelda, maybe Kirby, and thats it.

Chris1964 said:
I don't know the situation with America, which I doubt it's very different, but at least for Europe NCL has the last word for the localization or not of a game.

But again, "has the last word" and "makes all the decisions" are completely different, which is the point being made here. NCL can (and do):

• Mandate that a specific title be released in a given region
  • Forbid a specific title from being released in a given region
  • Set specific conditions or groundrules that must be met for a title to be released in a given region
  • Say that a specific title may be but is not required to be localized for a given region at the discretion of the local branch

all dependent on the specifics of the title being discussed.

If anyone is specifically looking at why (hypothetically) Xenoblade would be released in Europe but not in America, it'd almost assuredly come down to the lattermost point here rather than an NCL decision to only release it in Europe despite commissioning an English localization.

Nintendo of France just sent some news screenshots of the game in French. The good point is that the game still have a clear interface and the translation seems quite good. Let's keep fingers crossed it will be the case...

0000323737.jpg

0000323734.jpg

0000323735.jpg

0000323704.jpg

0000323713.jpg

0000323718.jpg

You can see many more of them on our website as they're near 40 screenshots released.

[SOURCE]

Sad_Panda

AnGeL LiveWii said:
Nintendo of France just sent some news screenshots of the game in French. The good point is that the game still have a clear interface and the translation seems quite good. Let's keep fingers crossed it will be the case...

"Quite good" ? There's at least two typos in the screenshots Nintendo France released, the font sucks, and some of those battle screens look incredibly cluttered. If anything, this looks like a rushed job.

wsippel

Banned
Sad_Panda said:
"Quite good" ? There's at least two typos in the screenshots Nintendo France released, the font sucks, and some of those battle screens look incredibly cluttered. If anything, this looks like a rushed job.
That's what the battle screen looks like even in the Japanese version. It's fine.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ You see this, Reggie? Thanks to you, America has just been shown up by the French..

Alrus

Sad_Panda said:

Well while the typos are there, you can't really blame NoE for the font or the battlescreen, those are from Monolith.

Sad_Panda

Alrus said:
Well while the typos are there, you can't really blame NoE for the font or the battlescreen, those are from Monolith.

I only played the opening parts of Xenoblade, so I didn't know the battle screen could be that busy. I hope you can toggle at least part of the on-screen info off.
With the release only three months away, this first batch of screens is not exactly giving me confidence about the quality of the translation. At least with NoA, we could have had the Treehouse seal of quality :/

commissar

RPGCrazied said:
Has Nintendo Power ever announced a game? How else would they for NA? E3 came and went. They won't at TGS, that's a Japanese game show. This game must come out. I do have my Wii hacked, but really hate the fact I'll have to spend $100 just to import., I will if I have to though. :(

I just want it released in my region. Why NoA would skip this game, specially when the Wii's line-up is pretty fucking dry right now. You got Zelda, maybe Kirby, and thats it.
Enjoy your European video game purchasing experience! Just like the real thing :(

desu

Marrshu said:
It's technically a correct romanization, and it's a real name, unlike Carna.

カルナ = Sharla? Also I mean the devs already gave out official names when they made the game, why change it.

Someone on IGN came across something interesting on Monado's US trademark. Full post:

I do not know if you're going to like it. I do not know if you all will even understand what it means. But here goes.

First off: LINK to US Patent and Trademark Filing on Monado. This is a mark owned by Nintendo that was filed a good while ago. In fact, Nintendo has gone through a good number of hoops with this trademark filing. If you scroll down, you can see the procedural history. The first thing that stood out to me was this:

Current Status: A third request for extension of time to file a Statement of Use has been granted.
Date of Status: 2011-06-15

Yep, that approval just happened today. In short, Nintendo has filed its trademark and has gotten all of its ducks in a row. There is just one filing missing from having the Trademark enter the principle register. They filed their third request for an extension on the 10th, and it was accepted on the 15th of this month. This is a good thing because Nintendo is not letting this mark die. Failure to file an extension = abandonment of the mark.

What does this mean to me the gamer?
First off, there is no similar filing for the name "Xenoblade." That isn't to say this cannot happen in the future. It does not mean you can go make a filing in the principle register (for $335 plus attorneys fees) for a trademark on Xenoblade -- Nintendo would just laugh at you in court and win because they've had prior use of it for over a year now. But this could mean that the game might actually be released as "Monado, Beginning of the World" here in the USA. It might not be, but the door is still open.

Second, a lot of you are probably wondering what a "Statement of Use" is. Believe it or not, it's actually very simple: the Patent and Trademark office needs to see some use of the mark in commerce (such as advertisements, in stores, etc) before registration for the mark will be complete. So Nintendo is at least keeping the Monado mark alive, and once it is used in commerce it will officially be a part of the principle register with all of the rights etc. that having a trademark allows. Well, that, or Nintendo is enjoying spending the $115 filing fee + attorney fees for each extension just to taunt America.

What else do I need to know?
Just to be debbie downer for a second: anyone needing to file a Statement of Use after after receiving a Notice of Allowance (an acknowledgement by the USPTO that the filant has a "bona-fide good intention to use the mark in commerce" but has not done so yet) may file a maximum of five extensions of time to file a SoU. Each extension is for 6 months. That means Nintendo has a one and a half year window to use Monado in commerce before it abandons the mark by operation of law. So we could be looking at a release as late as December 10, 2012...if at all.

Also, don't read too much into the big bunch of language under "Goods and Services." That's just part of the gamut of language that's required by Nintendo to cover their bases for how they're planning on using the mark.

Finally, if you look around the page and at the documents that have been filed you'll see that ongoing effort is listed as "product or service research or development." That could mean any number of things, but in the video game universe I'd wager that it is Nintendo's way of telling the USPTO that the game is still in development. Notice the "or"s.

TL;DR: So there you have it. This is as good of confirmation as you're going to get that Monado, Beginning of the World/Xenoblade is alive in North America. Of course, that does not necessarily mean that it will be released.

Also a new Field Map Exploration vid was made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUNNyNK-4w

dragonlife29 said:
I want to believe...

But, my heart...it doesn't want be toyed with.
(Most Likely) Theory: Their lawyers are just robo-renewing this stuff.
If NOA was challenged on it and needed to offer an excuse, they could easily say that they were waiting for the sales results in Europe.

john tv

Krev said:
NoA are real idiots if they thing it will sell better as "Monado" than it would as "Xenoblade".
"Monado" is a mistranslation FYI. Was kinda hoping they fixed that for the final game - did they not? It's supposed to be Monad.

john tv said:
"Monado" is a mistranslation FYI. Was kinda hoping they fixed that for the final game - did they not? It's supposed to be Monad.

They call it Monado in the JP version too and I doubt they'd overlook something like that so I guess it was intended to be called that way.

While I'm still excited about the game and will definitely still buy, it looks worse than I remember...I guess my expectations were too high and my mind is playing tricks on me, I thought we'd get something in line with FFXII's graphics.

PumpkinPie said:
While I'm still excited about the game and will definitely still buy, it looks worse than I remember...I guess my expectations were too high and my mind is playing tricks on me, I thought we'd get something in line with FFXII's graphics.

Those screens posted above are horrible...there are much better screens out:

2132415068_full.jpg

xenoblade-02.jpg

xenoblade03.jpg

john tv said:
Monad in Japanese is Monado ;p

Oh, really? lol. I like Monado more though.

Effect

Zero-Crescent said:
(Most Likely) Theory: Their lawyers are just robo-renewing this stuff.
If NOA was challenged on it and needed to offer an excuse, they could easily say that they were waiting for the sales results in Europe.

NoA still renews Project H.A.M.M.E.R domains and that's a dead project and has been for years. I honestly wouldn't look take this a sign that NoA is doing anything in regard to Xenoblade/Monado. It most likely is just lawyers renewing things just to renew them.

Effect said:
NoA still renews Project H.A.M.M.E.R domains and that's a dead project and has been for years. I honestly wouldn't look take this a sign that NoA is doing anything in regard to Xenoblade/Monado. It most likely is just lawyers renewing things just to renew them.

When was the last time PH was renewed?

Go_Ly_Dow

Bel Marduk said:
Those screens posted above are horrible...there are much better screens out:

I can assume it won't look this good on my 720p TV?

I would kill for a PC capable for running the Dolphin =(

Top Bottom