• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jan 5, 2008
23,623
2
0
Best part is that all the importing will increase sales numbers for RPG's in the Euro region, thus we'll get even MORE RPG's!
 

Phenomic

Member
May 3, 2009
2,113
0
0
Easy_D said:
Best part is that all the importing will increase sales numbers for RPG's in the Euro region, thus we'll get even MORE RPG's!

I doubt it will be very high, but I admit it would be funny if they looked at the sales figures and saw around 100 or 200 thousand copies being shipped over to the United States.
 

daffy

Banned
May 1, 2009
10,964
0
0
Daytona Beach!
batbeg said:
I've never encountered anything near instructions on piracy through the simple wiki which let me enable region free play so.... disagre.
Gvaz is probably alluding to the fact that pirates don't actually have to, you know, buy the game.

I think.
 

Antagon

Member
Aug 10, 2006
2,959
0
0
Phenomic said:
I doubt it will be very high, but I admit it would be funny if they looked at the sales figures and saw around 100 or 200 thousand copies being shipped over to the United States.

I don't think that imports would go over a couple of thousands max, and even those seem optimistic numbers to me.
 

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nov 1, 2009
27,317
0
0
Antagon said:
I don't think that imports would go over a couple of thousands max, and even those seem optimistic numbers to me.

Yeah, the number of people who would even know about the game must be sub-10% of the US audience to begin with. What proportion of them are going to be interested in the game, bother to mod their console and bother to import the game? We're talking about a few thousand at best, as you say.

A Human Becoming said:
Because Reggie is a fucking asshole.

I can't believe no journalist has asked him this question:

'Does NoA's refusal to localize titles like Xenoblade represent an admission that the market for such titles on the Wii is vanishingly small?'
 

Luigiv

Member
Jun 8, 2009
9,918
0
700
Perth, Australia
batbeg said:
I've never encountered anything near instructions on piracy through the simple wiki which let me enable region free play so.... disagre.
That's because no one calls it pirating, they call it by the more legally ambiguous process that enables piracy (which I won't mention so you don't get any funny ideas).

It's like how prostitutes call themselves escorts, to take advantage of the legal loophole.
 

mclem

Member
Jan 16, 2007
42,665
4
1,190
Gvaz said:
LaserBuddha said:
It will be easier to play an imported copy of Xenoblade than to play a pirated copy...
Uh, this was never true.

Assuming you *have* both copies, it's approximately the same process to make a system enabled to run imports as it is to run pirate copies; I can't imagine it's any *harder* to run an import, but I don't know if there's any extra faffage required to make a pirate copy work than a legit one.

*Acquiring* the pirate copy may potentially work out easier than importing. Certainly faster, any way.

It rather depends how exactly you interpret the initial phrase.
 

creid

Member
Nov 17, 2005
3,057
0
0
Ushojax said:
I can't believe no journalist has asked him this question:

'Does NoA's refusal to localize titles like Xenoblade represent an admission that the market for such titles on the Wii is vanishingly small?'
That kind of question would be dodged like any other. "We're not going to comment on our decision-making process," or something like that.
 

mclem

Member
Jan 16, 2007
42,665
4
1,190
michaeltraps said:
Any references for someone who has never a) imported a game, b) played region free games on my Wii?

As far as b)'s concerned, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291277&page=179 . I just install my import titles under Configurable USB Loader and magic happens when I run them, although there may be other methods.

Not sure about a); got lots of experience importing, but only in the direction that's not of much use to you guys.
 

Boerseun

Banned
Aug 12, 2006
3,756
0
0
Suid-Afrika / Duitsland
Ushojax said:
I can't believe no journalist has asked him this question:

'Does NoA's refusal to localize titles like Xenoblade represent an admission that the market for such titles on the Wii is vanishingly small?'

The market for such titles isn't small though. But the market cannot buy that which it knows nothing about. And marketing is where Nintendo and many other publishers on Wii have performed poorly. Not to mention, Nintendo killed sales of many of its own games in Japan with low shipments and little effort at generating hype. That would include Xenoblade and The Last Story, games which could have and should have performed so much better. What's worse is that publishers like Capcom and Namco Bandai followed suit with their own products.
 

Sophia

Member
Feb 8, 2008
23,136
1
1,020
Boerseun said:
The market for such titles isn't small though. But the market cannot buy that which it knows nothing about. And marketing is where Nintendo and many other publishers on Wii have performed poorly. Not to mention, Nintendo killed sales of many of its own games in Japan with low shipments and little effort at generating hype. That would include Xenoblade and The Last Story, games which could have and should have performed so much better. What's worse is that publishers like Capcom and Namco Bandai followed suit with their own products.

I have so many words I could say about Nintendo's mismanagement of anything not their core franchises, but I'm still a bit offended at how badly Soma Bringer was handled. How do you market a game so poorly that some people think it's a turn-based RPG? Seriously?
 

Fady K

Member
Sep 27, 2006
8,905
0
0
35
Still can't believe that an English version of this game is coming out! My favorite RPG is Xenosaga Episode III, and I've been dying to play a MonolithSoft game! It has been nearly 5 years - and the only localized games we got were a Dragon Ball RPG, Disaster (Europe only), and Super Robot Wars Endless Saga. None of these titles are big original RPGs,so I am very thankful that an English version of this exists. I do wish Soma Bringer would come out too though.
 

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jul 26, 2004
28,050
7
0
Long Island, NY
Fady K said:
Still can't believe that an English version of this game is coming out! My favorite RPG is Xenosaga Episode III, and I've been dying to play a MonolithSoft game! It has been nearly 5 years - and the only localized games we got were a Dragon Ball RPG, Disaster (Europe only), and Super Robot Wars Endless Saga. None of these titles are big original RPGs,so I am very thankful that an English version of this exists. I do wish Soma Bringer would come out too though.

Have you played Baten Kaitos: Origins? It's Monolith's masterpiece, IMO (still haven't played Xenoblade yet though)
 

Sophia

Member
Feb 8, 2008
23,136
1
1,020
djtiesto said:
Have you played Baten Kaitos: Origins? It's Monolith's masterpiece, IMO (still haven't played Xenoblade yet though)

Origins is pretty awesome, but it doesn't hold a candle to Xenoblade.

We need a Baten Kaitos 3 with the Xenoblade engine. That would be amazing.
 

michaeltraps

Member
May 18, 2010
1,484
0
760
34
New York
mclem said:
As far as b)'s concerned, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291277&page=179 . I just install my import titles under Configurable USB Loader and magic happens when I run them, although there may be other methods.

Not sure about a); got lots of experience importing, but only in the direction that's not of much use to you guys.
Thank you! I'll do a bit more research in regards to a. See what I can find.
 

Gvaz

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
11,619
0
0
USA
gvaz.notsleepytime.org
mclem said:
Assuming you *have* both copies, it's approximately the same process to make a system enabled to run imports as it is to run pirate copies; I can't imagine it's any *harder* to run an import, but I don't know if there's any extra faffage required to make a pirate copy work than a legit one.

*Acquiring* the pirate copy may potentially work out easier than importing. Certainly faster, any way.

It rather depends how exactly you interpret the initial phrase.

I'd say playing an imported copy is harder. You'd be better off backing up your imported copy and using a backup loader. Especially if you don't have a TV that can do PAL properly, you can force the game to use one or the other and it's as if you had an NTSC version.

If you had illegally acquired the game, you'd skip the whole step of importing and backing it up.

But regardless you should buy the game :D
 

Fady K

Member
Sep 27, 2006
8,905
0
0
35
djtiesto said:
Have you played Baten Kaitos: Origins? It's Monolith's masterpiece, IMO (still haven't played Xenoblade yet though)

No actually, how is the story? I had BKO on my mind for a while - I just can't seem to find a decently-priced copy these days.
 

Starwolf_UK

Member
Dec 5, 2008
17,023
0
0
twitter.com
Phenomic said:
I doubt it will be very high, but I admit it would be funny if they looked at the sales figures and saw around 100 or 200 thousand copies being shipped over to the United States.
Nintendo can't see that though, as you're not buying directly off Nintendo. Its a bit lose-lose, if it sells well NOE believe its due to unconventional PR like their twitter cover thing and the Nintendo unleashed tour (which given its destinations are what I'd say are more keen JRPG players than the average person...) rather than the lack of US release.

That said, a lot of US users using the Club Nintendo code and writing it on the post-play survey "I'm American and modded my Wii, voiding it warranty just to play this" would be a real wake-up call (that said, I think NOE only hand out post play surveys if you intend to buy and register in two weeks...and considering you need to register a product to become a member...).

jling84 said:
Just wondering, if I imported this would it play on a homebrew Wii? I hate Nintendo for not announcing this for the US.
Yep either tinyload or if that gives you display problems Gecko OS has some more options.
 

creid

Member
Nov 17, 2005
3,057
0
0
Starwolf_UK said:
That said, a lot of US users using the Club Nintendo code and writing it on the post-play survey "I'm American and modded my Wii, voiding it warranty just to play this" would be a real wake-up call (that said, I think NOE only hand out post play surveys if you intend to buy and register in two weeks...and considering you need to register a product to become a member...).
I've been mentioning XB on my Club Nintendo (US) surveys. I think anyone who isn't is wasting an opportunity.
 

bh7812

Banned
Nov 6, 2007
536
1
915
Chicago Southland, IL
I went ahead today and set up an account on Game's website, filled out my shipping info and everything so once the game goes up for ordering I can order it very quickly. If I waited until then to fill in all the shipping info I might miss out on getting a copy and I don't want that to happen. Once orders open the faster I can order the better, every wasted second will mean the difference between getting a copy and not getting a copy. My Wii's been modded for a while now so it will be ready to run the game the day I get it.

All I have left is to put in my credit card info then I'll be good to go and wanted to ask something real quick. It says they accept Mastercard Debit Cards..I do have a Visa Mastercard debit card that should have more than enough on it to cover what the order will cost once orders open..will they accept that for payment or does it gotta be strictly Mastercard? Once I know that I'll add in my credit card info..if worse comes to worse I can get hold of a Visa card to charge it on but using my debit card would be easier.
 

Pyrokai

Member
Feb 27, 2008
5,239
0
1,050
Ohio
Do you guys think there's a chance this can still be on NoA's radar, but they just didn't announce it at E3? I mean, they've held back on announcements before from E3 and waited until Fall-ish to announce them, haven't they? Dragon Quest IX sticks out (as does VI, which came out of nowhere). I just find this so hard to believe.....I really, really do....
 

creid

Member
Nov 17, 2005
3,057
0
0
Pyrokai said:
Do you guys think there's a chance this can still be on NoA's radar, but they just didn't announce it at E3? I mean, they've held back on announcements before from E3 and waited until Fall-ish to announce them, haven't they? Dragon Quest IX sticks out (as does VI, which came out of nowhere). I just find this so hard to believe.....I really, really do....
It's possible. DQVI was announced in Dec, released in Feb. It's true that Q1 & Q2 2012 for Wii is a big question mark, and surely NoA has to release something in that period.

It's only been about a year since it was released in Japan, and NoA has released Layton games more than a year after their Japanese release. The EU version being released in September isn't a good sign, though. AFAIK Europe has never gotten anything significantly earlier than NA.
 

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jun 7, 2004
19,552
1
0
47
Space is the Place
At this point the most rational hope for this game and The Last Story is that they're being held back for spring 2012 Wii filler. Otherwise, Nintendo seems to have literally NOTHING to throw on the Wii in its "final" spring/summer.
 

Effect

Member
Jun 15, 2007
21,773
0
0
Anyone remember how much time pasted between Excitebots being announced and its release? I think that was the shortest time frame NoA has worked with in the past for quick announcements and then releases. So if the European version comes out in Sept the latest they could announce to match a similar release is what August? What game events happen between now and Sept? Gamescom right? Is that it?
 

Bel Marduk

Banned
May 11, 2008
5,183
0
0
Effect said:
Anyone remember how much time pasted between Excitebots being announced and its release? I think that was the shortest time frame NoA has worked with in the past for quick announcements and then releases. So if the European version comes out in Sept the latest they could announce to match a similar release is what August? What game events happen between now and Sept? Gamescom right? Is that it?

Wikipedia says Feb 26, 2009 announcement and April 20, 2009 release for Excitebots.

Also I doubt they'll announce the game at Gamescom. More than likely, if it's coming to NA, they'll announce it at a random time like they did for DQ VI or NoE did for Xenoblade already...
 

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nov 1, 2009
27,317
0
0
creid said:
AFAIK Europe has never gotten anything significantly earlier than NA.

They certainly have. The Minish Cap, Another Code, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Sin and Punishment 2, they all came out in Europe a few months before the US. It doesn't happen much though, and normally it's Europe that has to wait.
 

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Apr 27, 2010
172
0
0
The World Of Happy Bacteria
I cannot wait for this game to come out. It is the driving force that led me to actually go and buy a Wii.

So, taking into account that I am kind of a Xenogears fanboy, and that I moderately enjoyed Xenosaga, although I believe it was several steps below the former, what should I expect from Xenoblade? I keep hearing it is the jRPG of the generation, and I want to see it made true...

Also, is Mitsuda back for the OST? I think that guy alone gave Xenogears more than half of its magic.
 

CruxisMana

Member
Dec 16, 2009
2,006
0
0
29
Dr. Ecco said:
I cannot wait for this game to come out. It is the driving force that led me to actually go and buy a Wii.

So, taking into account that I am kind of a Xenogears fanboy, and that I moderately enjoyed Xenosaga, although I believe it was several steps below the former, what should I expect from Xenoblade? I keep hearing it is the jRPG of the generation, and I want to see it made true...

Also, is Mitsuda back for the OST? I think that guy alone gave Xenogears more than half of its magic.

The import OT has a load of impressions, if you skip through the first few pages. Information on the composers is also there.

Aeana's impressions start on this page, and Bebpo's start there as well.
 

Shirokun

Member
Jan 4, 2007
1,281
0
0
Dr. Ecco said:
I cannot wait for this game to come out. It is the driving force that led me to actually go and buy a Wii.

So, taking into account that I am kind of a Xenogears fanboy, and that I moderately enjoyed Xenosaga, although I believe it was several steps below the former, what should I expect from Xenoblade? I keep hearing it is the jRPG of the generation, and I want to see it made true...

Also, is Mitsuda back for the OST? I think that guy alone gave Xenogears more than half of its magic.


Not Xenogears. The story is relatively lighter by comparison - both in tone and amount. That said, Takahashi and friends have created a great world that's beautiful to look at and fun to explore, and a great cast of characters who are interesting and not at all trite. It's a carefully crafted game with lot's of love put into it, and it shows. It is still very epic, but not in the same sense of Xenogears/saga. Definitely my number 2 RPG this gen(behind Demon Souls).
 

CruxisMana

Member
Dec 16, 2009
2,006
0
0
29
Whilst browsing the old thread, I also stumbled upon some large pieces of artwork and screenshots that I thought people might be interested in;


#1 - #2


#3


#4 - #5


#6 - #7
 

daffy

Banned
May 1, 2009
10,964
0
0
Daytona Beach!
CruxisMana said:
It's from before the game was released, so the Wii.
Wow. For some reason it looks much better than the screenshots Nintendo France put out. Maybe it is touched up a bit?
PuppetYuber said:
A slight off topic question.

I know Wii is region locked, but is it easy to by pass region lock to play this game?
Extremely easy after you have the tools. Just check that thread CruxisMana posted. Its not too hard to gather the necessary files and install them.
 

creid

Member
Nov 17, 2005
3,057
0
0
Ushojax said:
They certainly have. The Minish Cap, Another Code, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Sin and Punishment 2, they all came out in Europe a few months before the US. It doesn't happen much though, and normally it's Europe that has to wait.
Hm, forgot about these. Good news for us eternally optimistic Xenoblade fans.
 

Mael

Member
Oct 23, 2009
23,428
0
0
France
/!\ The Lead manager of the French branch of Nintendo leaked to the 101% show on French TV NoLife that there will be a special classic controller for Xenoblade.

He also pointed out that it was not at e3 because NoA didn't want to show products they won't sell.
I guess that seals it for the NA version.

For people who have access to that channel they can probably watch it tomorrow when the rerun will appear.

I can't make a thread about that right now since I don't have time but feel free to do so.
 

Negator

Member
Feb 5, 2009
6,911
0
0
Mael said:
He also pointed out that it was not at e3 because NoA didn't want to show products they won't sell.
I guess that seals it for the NA version.

fkjdsafjda;sfjkdsagjkdfsag;jdfskgdf

FUCK. There goes my last shred of hope.

Fuck NoA.
 

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
35,549
0
0
I just don't understand the decision here...
It's already going to be full translated and voiced.
They don't even really have to market it.
Just print like 100K copies and ship it out.
 

mclem

Member
Jan 16, 2007
42,665
4
1,190
Gvaz said:
I'd say playing an imported copy is harder. You'd be better off backing up your imported copy and using a backup loader.

To be fair, that's a default step for all my games on Wii these days anyhow. It's just so easy to dump 'em on the hard disc and play them there. I guess it may be tougher to run the import copy from the disc.
 

Warrior_Keoni

Member
May 28, 2010
2,694
0
680
Negator said:
fkjdsafjda;sfjkdsagjkdfsag;jdfskgdf

FUCK. There goes my last shred of hope.

Fuck NoA.

Weren't there barely any Wii games shown at all? Besides Skyward Sword which everyone knows is a money maker for Nintendo, I'm fairly still certain we'll get a stealth release.