• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually feel for the people.
When you look around, especially the residential district,
DOOM IS UPON THEM ALL AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT.

WVW69ipWR70vIR2IZ0

Qurupeke

For the "Acorn...Abacuses?", where can I find the Acorn Abacuses? I notice on the google doc it says it can be found in the North Coast, so does it show up in any of the item orbs or in a specif spot there? Also it says it can be found in Arlent, but I don't know where that is. Any help would be great.
keep fast traveling to the castaway cave, you should find some of them outside it. Great place to find Aurora Bones too.

For the "Acorn...Abacuses?", where can I find the Acorn Abacuses? I notice on the google doc it says it can be found in the North Coast, so does it show up in any of the item orbs or in a specif spot there? Also it says it can be found in Arlent, but I don't know where that is. Any help would be great.
The continents in this game are all divided into regions where certain collectables are found, with some overlap in item availability. The locations I put in the sheet are kind of just general approximations of the areas using FN sites, since I don't know all the English names of areas yet, and scanning and uploading the maps from the guides seemed like it'd be illegal somehow. Arlent(bridge) is the long landbridge that stretches north of Primordia, towards all those sandy islands. The northern shores and that landbridge are where the abacuses
(abaci?)
show up.

Shun

I'm already running a majority ranged stuff (Think I have only 2 melee arts). Guess I'll just drop those and picked up some more ranged stuff as I'm already super comfortable with that.

Do regular melee attacks trigger Soul Voice callouts for melee? That's the only reason I could see keeping one on my pallet.

For the most part yes because the art type is color coded. You don't really need to worry about that because Soul Voice accounts for all characters in your party. You should have maybe one melee art to trigger it since that melee art can be used in combos for ranged arts.

The thing is with your class, once you advance to a duelist, it becomes more melee focused even though it's a balanced class.

If you do go ranged, there are better ranged builds out there. Once you max out your knife skills and sniper rifle you can go for a healing sniper build which can be useful as support and damage.

Taking advantage of your cool downs and TP is key to doing damage in this game.

North Coast is that little beach down there FN 111.

Ardent or whatever it's called is the bridge that connects the continent to the island at the top.

john tv

What are everyone's preferred Grind spots to get companions up to lvl 30?

I've experimented with a couple places but generally either the fights take too long or I'm not getting as much experience for them as I'd like.

I find the little island chain at the very north of Primordia is a great spot. Enemies range from 31-37 prone/purges, and with my mech setup they usually go down in less than 12 seconds.

Trained Murderess and Frye up to Skell level pretty fast. Are there better spots?
There's a fantastic spot in Sylvalum right near a data probe...don't recall the # offhand but there's a level 46-ish enemy there that goes down pretty easily with the Verus's G-Buster art and gives like 500+ EXP each go. I used it to get from level 32 to 45 in like 30 minutes, haha. I'll try and find it later, don't have access to the game at the moment...

EDIT: Ah sorry, thought you said lvl 40. Well, now you know what to try next, haha.

yami4ct

For the most part yes because the art type is color coded. You don't really need to worry about that because Soul Voice accounts for all characters in your party. You should have maybe one melee art to trigger it since that melee art can be used in combos for ranged arts.

The thing is with your class, once you advance to a duelist, it becomes more melee focused even though it's a balanced class.

If you do go ranged, there are better ranged builds out there. Once you max out your knife skills and sniper rifle you can go for a healing sniper build which can be useful as support and damage.

Taking advantage of your cool downs and TP is key to doing damage in this game.

So the assault rifle isn't really a weapon that's encouraged long term for ranged? I went down that path because I really liked the way that weapon looked and sounded. Dumb reason, sure. I was kinda hoping all weapon classes were equally viable.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I actually feel for the people.
When you look around, especially the residential district,
DOOM IS UPON THEM ALL AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT.

WVW69ipWR70vIR2IZ0
They all know it, they just prefer to live their lives not constantly worrying if some creature is going to rampage in the street, which for the most part they don't have to worry about that.

I'm not far into the story but if you also include the time of me just exploring for literal in-game days, they do pretty well for themselves.

Shun

So the assault rifle isn't really a weapon that's encouraged long term for ranged? I went down that path because I really liked the way that weapon looked and sounded. Dumb reason, sure. I was kinda hoping all weapon classes were equally viable.

Oh they are, but it suits different needs and uses. Like knife skills are great for support and are viable in that sense, just not the best damaging skills. All weapons are viable, they just aren't meant to cover every single aspect you want. They fall under damage and support roles and although they can do both, they fit either niche better.

Assault Rifles are good for debuffs and taunts, but I don't see them being a huge damage dealer in the long term. You definitely can use them, I just think there are better alternatives when it comes to doing damage vs. support.

For me I went with Dual Guns/Swords and right of the bat you know that your swords will be your main source of damage while the guns are there to support and buff.

For the sniper build, most of your damage comes from your sniper rifle rather than your javelin. You can use the javelin, it just isn't as productive for doing damage and is there to help rack up TP through melee combos.

They all know it, they just prefer to live their lives not constantly worrying if some creature is going to rampage in the street, which for the most part they don't have to worry about that.

I'm not far into the story but if you also include the time of me just exploring for literal in-game days, they do pretty well for themselves.

I'm not talking about a creature rampaging the streets...

yami4ct

Oh they are, but it suits different needs and uses. Like knife skills are great for support and are viable in that sense, just not the best damaging skills. All weapons are viable, they just aren't meant to cover every single aspect you want. They fall under damage and support roles and although they can do both, they fit either niche better.

Assault Rifles are good for debuffs and taunts, but I don't see them being a huge damage dealer in the long term. You definitely can use them, I just think there are better alternatives when it comes to doing damage vs. support.

For me I went with Dual Guns/Swords and right of the bat you know that your swords will be your main source of damage while the guns are there to support and buff.

For the sniper build, most of your damage comes from your sniper rifle rather than your javelin. You can use the javelin, it just isn't as productive for doing damage and is there to help rack up TP through melee combos.

Ok. Huh. I'll take a look at where Dualist takes me and then either build melee around that or go with Sniper builds.

One last question. What are all the ways you can earn BP? I know I've gotten some from quests and I assume I got some from level ups. All I know is that I go back into my menu and I see a good chunk of it every so often. If the main source is through levels, is there a cap? Is there any reason you'd be at a disadvantage switching classes late in the game, besides the need to build that class back up?

Omzz

I've just finished the prologue and really confused about the different stuff near the HP during battle. I've played xenoblade and that took time to click, is it the same here?

Or should I not worry yet sincw they explain that stuff later

Shun

Ok. Huh. I'll take a look at where Dualist takes me and then either build melee around that or go with Sniper builds.

One last question. What are all the ways you can earn BP? I know I've gotten some from quests and I assume I got some from level ups. All I know is that I go back into my menu and I see a good chunk of it every so often. If the main source is through levels, is there a cap? Is there any reason you'd be at a disadvantage switching classes late in the game, besides the need to build that class back up?

It doesn't seem like there's a cap from what I see. There might be one but you should have more than enough to max out and figure out which niche you are going to focus on.

You can get BP through doing the Collectipedia, checking for artifacts on the map, leveling up, and I think you might be able to through FrontierNav too? Not sure about that.

If you think you're running short you can always steal BP from a class you don't enjoy doing.

I've just finished the prologue and really confused about the different stuff near the HP during battle. I've played xenoblade and that took time to click, is it the same here?

What specifically do you need help with? I can try to explain through the slaent channel if you want it real time. I'm in it right now if you want. I tried helping dy earlier.

Blue is HP, Green is TP, Cyan is Level Experience, and Purple is Class Experience.

random25

They'll explain some stuff but it will be up to you to actually see them in action. But since you have played the first one, I'm pretty sure you'll get the hang of it fast.

Omzz

What specifically do you need help with? I can try to explain through the slaent channel if you want it real time. I'm in it right now if you want. I tried helping dy earlier.

Blue is HP, Green is TP, Cyan is Level Experience, and Purple is Class Experience.

Yeah that clears it up a bit. I was wondering why that meter goes up to 3000 and just stops. How do I then use the effects of TP?

Malus

Finished chapter 8. It had some great production value compared to the rest of the game up until then, but I continue to not really care for the story or characters.

I'm in a love-hate relationship with this game right now. Whenever I'm running around, exploring and discovering things and immersing myself in the gameplay/world/music, it feels absolutely amazing. The art direction is awe inspiring and it really feels unlike any other world I've encountered in gaming. Far surpassing the original Xenoblade which I loved.

But whenever I do the affinity missions or story missions everthing just feels so mediocre and unpolished. The framerate overall isn't as stable as I expected based on impressions, either. Drops in NLA, occasional drops in battle, and significant drops during busy cutscenes.

I also just kinda feel like there's too much going on in terms of all the playable characters and upgrade systems. Not so much that it's confusing, but when there's so much to level I feel like I'm losing any strong sense of progression. Oh I spent a few hours leveling this character and this class, dunno if it's gonna come in handy or anything. Don't really care too much since I'm overleveled anyways. Now I got my skell, bought some shit, bought another skell...it's been a while since I upgraded my characters regular abilities...eh.

random25

Yeah that clears it up a bit. I was wondering why that meter goes up to 3000 and just stops. How do I then use the effects of TP?

TP is used in different ways, but the basic uses of it are to revive a fallen party member (requires 3000TP) and some arts require them (they have the letters TP in the icon. See Elma's arts for example).

Shun

Each TP Art consumes 1000 TP, later in the game you'll have access to a really useful skill called overdrive which is kind of like chain attack in original xenoblade. It slows down time a little bit and you are able to keep using arts since there is very little cool down.

What you want to be doing is trying to rack up as much TP and as fast as possible. You get TP through the auto attacks and by using your regular non-TP arts. You can also get it through Soul Voices. When you look at your arts, you'll see some of them say BOOSTED. Do those so you can do more damage and get more TP.

Melee naturally gains more TP than Ranged attacks.

It might be a little slow at first but that's because you're at the beginning of the game and are learning how to take advantage of the system.

Once you level up your initial drifter class to 10, you can switch to different classes depending on your taste so do that as soon as you can. You'll be able to rack up TP pretty quickly once you get the hang of things. Once it clicks you'll be doing a lot of damage in combos.

Omzz

TP is used in different ways, but the basic uses of it are to revive a fallen party member (requires 3000TP) and some arts require them (they have the letters TP in the icon. See Elma's arts for example).
Thanks. I'll probably get it as I go along, but thought they would explain more in the prologue. Not sure just how much more they explain futher, if not I'll probably have to check online again

Thanks. Yeah I'm not totally lost coming from Xenoblade but certain new things in this game which I don't know of yet. If they explain later on in the game that's cool, just thought they wouldn't. From what I remember I didn't even realise skill link was thing in xenoblade until like near the end of the game lol

Qurupeke

Anyone see Lin's 1st heart to heart where
she says the main char is like a father to her?
Its really sweet.
I loved Elma's third(?) heart to heart where she asks you if you're a cat or dog person.
I answered that I'm an Elma person. She didn't like the joke.

past Chapter 5 SPOILERS

So what is the story here? Some posters here think everyone knows they are in robot bodies

others think only a select few know the secret

I am on a mission where a store owner is denying a Ma-non into the store out of fear of diseased creatures - a robot catching a disease? So this store owner does not know

how the fuck do you get the pet cat and pet dog for the heart to hearts of Elma and Lin? My shit is out of whack I have 4 hearts with both and I haven't had a heart to heart in ages haha.

Jolkien

Collecting a A-HAB Autonomous AI in Sylvanum I think this is theworst collectibles of the two Xenoblade games. I got the one I need for my quest in 30 sec but I've been looking for an hour for a second one for my collectopedia. Really annoying.

Shun

how the fuck do you get the pet cat and pet dog for the heart to hearts of Elma and Lin? My shit is out of whack I have 4 hearts with both and I haven't had a heart to heart in ages haha.

They are normal quests, you're just going to have to wait until it shows up to go rescue a dog or cat.

Jolkien

When you do get the normal mission to save the cat and dog. You have to ''equip'' them in Barack Customization.

In the Reddit multiplayer info link that was going around https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...z/xenoblade_x_multiplayer_information_thread/ It says...

".....a number of missions at the blade mission board back at your BLADE HQ. These missions can be tackled in a party of up to 4 real players, which is formed through invites which can be sent out simply by scanning a list of your entire squad. You can observe all 31 of your squad mates' levels, class, gear, and make a decision whether you'd like to invite them or not.No matter where they are on planet mira, they can accept your invite, however they can also decline if they wish not to run a mission with you so try to invite as many friends as you can for maximum fun."

Now in the Manuel it says nothing about the bolded, just that you select join and recruit and people will join.

Anyone have experience in the matter?

R.D.Blax

past Chapter 5 SPOILERS

So what is the story here? Some posters here think everyone knows they are in robot bodies

I am on a mission where a store owner is denying a Ma-non into the store out of fear of diseased creatures - a robot catching a disease? So this store owner does not know

Spoiler from a side quest you can do after chapter 5:
Considering that there is a parasite who can eat mimesomes from the inside, that wouldn't surprise me if some other stuff can affect them, so better safe than sorry, their is reason any xeno are scanned before being able to come in NLA. And everyone know they are in a mimesome, they just don't know that there are one a time limit

Haunted

past Chapter 5 SPOILERS

I generally think BlADES know, but civvies don't? The game plays it fairly loose with it. Like, I've overheard a conversation in the residential district wondering what the big number on the tower represents, but on the other hand there's a Mimeosome maintenance center in the administrative district that's clearly marked as such and the search mission for the lifehold doesn't seem to be a secret at all.

Maybe people generally know the tech is used, but not that time is running out.

syeefoo

Neo Member
past Chapter 5 SPOILERS

I think everyone knows. The true meaning of countdown only the upper government and Blade leaders know.

If you walk around in residential and commercial district, there're some people commenting on the Mimeosome bodies.
But, for the people who are suffering stasis amnesia so maybe these people didn't aware.

For the catching disease part, well robots won't catch disease... but if the core is found and hauled back to NLA... the human-bodies do have a chance to get infected when they wake up in NLA

I am under the impression that the following is happening,

only the "government" type folks know. The leaders and people in the military. I assume the rest of the civilians are just being kept in the dark to avoid mass panic and anarchy.

Spoiler from a side quest you can do after chapter 5:
Considering that there is a parasite who can eat mimesomes from the inside, that wouldn't surprise me if some other stuff can affect them, so better safe than sorry, their is reason any xeno are scanned before being able to come in NLA. And everyone know they are in a mimesome, they just don't know that there are one a time limit

I generally think BlADES know, but civvies don't? The game plays it fairly loose with it. Like, I've overheard a conversation in the residential district wondering what the big number on the tower represents, but on the other hand there's a Mimeosome maintenance center in the administrative district that's clearly marked as such and the search mission for the lifehold doesn't seem to be a secret at all.

Maybe people generally know the tech is used, but not that time is running out.

I think everyone knows. The true meaning of countdown only the upper government and Blade leaders know.

If you walk around in residential and commercial district, there're some people commenting on the Mimeosome bodies.
But, for the people who are suffering stasis amnesia so maybe these people didn't aware.

For the catching disease part, well robots won't catch disease... but if the core is found and hauled back to NLA... the human-bodies do have a chance to get infected when they wake up in NLA

this is a debate, we need to ask the developers of the game or 8-4 guys
someone ask John-tv

IzzyF3

Spent a day to download the data packs. What the hell Nintendo? The data is freaking on the disc, so why didn't it ask me if I wanted to install them from the disc?! Backwards as always. Most people are going to be aware that you can speed the game up with data packs.

Spierek

past Chapter 5 SPOILERS

Others have posted viable reasons for why that might be happening; but I think it might also have to do with
xenophobia. IMO it's not like civilians don't know they're in mimeosomes, but they got adapted to them and think of mims as their human bodies.

... and the owner might just really not like aliens and is searching for any excuse.

Mendrox

Part of the problem is that the presentation for story in XCX is pretty bad in general barring Chapter 8. Xenoblade Chronicles smokes XCX on this front. As a result, the narrative comes off as much more flat than it had to be.

Also the main character not being predefined was a total mistake on almost every single level.

In my case I think it is much better. I did hate Shulk and to be honest I like many of the cast in XCX too, even though they are not really on your journey. I can identify with my avatar and love that... feels a bit more immersive.

JoeM86

Hit a bit of a wall in Chapter 5 with the enemies a good 4 levels higher than me. Can handle 1 or 2 at a time with ease, but the bit I'm on is throwing them at me so need to do some grinding

Spierek

I also just kinda feel like there's too much going on in terms of all the playable characters and upgrade systems. Not so much that it's confusing, but when there's so much to level I feel like I'm losing any strong sense of progression. Oh I spent a few hours leveling this character and this class, dunno if it's gonna come in handy or anything. Don't really care too much since I'm overleveled anyways. Now I got my skell, bought some shit, bought another skell...it's been a while since I upgraded my characters regular abilities...eh.

So far I'm feeling the same - in XC I was constantly checking out if there's new armor to buy, new arts to upgrade, new skill trees to equip, Affinity Chart links, etc.

In XCX there's just so much stuff to keep track of, it blends into one big mush - and I feel like the individual systems somehow became weaker? Affinity Chart seems to have become harder to navigate, and they've stopped displaying connection titles on the arrows, so I stopped caring about it. Leveling up your character in XC always felt like a nice moment, but here I just notice my level going up in the menu every now and then.

Handling equipment feels a lot worse than in XC, mainly because you have tons of crap in your inventory all the time (selling it is not really viable because it doesn't give you a lot of money and is a pain to navigate in a way that allows you to keep only the good stuff) - the worst offender award in that category goes to the weapons. For the love of god I can't figure out why they're showing every single projectile weapon when you're in a specific category (say, Dual Guns). Lately I've just equipped nice looking stuff as my "Fashion Armor" and I keep using "Equip Best Inventory" all the time :|

There's a myriad of options in all regards (leveling, skills, arts, etc.), but the way you interact / equip those is a huge pain.

I've got to agree that this game's art direction is lovely. This should be a new standard - everywhere you go there's a ton of interesting places to visit and climb the hell out of. Can't wait to get my hands on that flight module.

RagnarokX

past Chapter 5 SPOILERS

Everyone except your character knows about it. I just did Chapter 5 and ran around gathering all of the sidequests I could find. I stumbled upon the quest that unlocks the ability to change your avatar and the guy that runs the service said that everyone was conscious of it and many wanted to choose better bodies but weren't allowed. He said many would envy the player's amnesia of not remembering that process. One affinity mission I did before chapter 5 had a character asking if her mimeosome body could conceive a child and the person she asked didn't know the answer. People are just ignorant of what these bodies can do. That xenophobic woman is just being irrational. Or maybe mimeosomes can catch diseases. Who knows. If pregnancy is a possibility anything is.

I can't trigger Elma's second heart to heart to appear in my map. What the fuck. I have the third and fourth appear but second refuses to do so haha. I have a cat in there too.

I hate these high level trolls who love to take naps all day at a probe spot

just sneaking up to a level 50+ sleeping red eye dude is scary

smashing that A button feels good man

Lancelot

Does the game looks better on the gamepad or it's me? Using a well calibrated 50' Samsung plasma, full HD. I don't know how to explain it, but the game looks superb on the gamepad, colors included. Too bad it's too small to read lots of small text...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom