• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got stuck on Alexa's recruitment mission so I switched my control to Irina for the healing control soul voices. (That damn turtle)

Man the AI sucks at controlling heals. It's like how controlling Sharla made the fights that much easier. The AI Irina can't controll aggro either so she kept getting one-shot by the thing's aoe.

playing as Sharla was so boring though

After 28 hours I'm at level 19 and in the middle of chapter 5. I'm really enjoying this game. As I don't have too much time to play during the day, I fucked up all my nights this week by going to sleep at 3 in the morning (while I get up early for work), but I really can't stop playing this once I'm in. During the day, at work, from time to time I read the many pages that are newly written in this thread and sometime I get some interesting hints for future quests and such.

I would say that in order to fully enjoy this you need to do several simple things for the beginning of the game:

• Don't disable the button prompts and messages on screen, except for the L+A social shit. Most of the time there are important things written there that many are missing, going by the comments in this thread.
  • Read the NPCs messages on your way, you would really use some of those hints later
  • Open each branch from the menu and go everywhere, otherwise you will miss things like the fact that you can get BP from Collectopedia or augment weapons
  • Upgrade mechanical level first and foremost
  • Invest a lot of miranium in the AMs
  • Don't rush into the story, do normal missions, there are a lot of nice ones there
  • Don't take any fetch quest voluntarily and if you're forced into one, check if you can't get those by exchanging reward tickets.
  • Always save before accepting an affinity quest

Great list for new players. In respect of fetch quest, especially those basic gathering quests from BLADE, I usually take all of them before exploration so that I can complete them while running around the region. I had completed a few gathering quests with this approach.

Also, people should try to take 30 minutes to read the manual. It clears up a lot things.

I am lvl 24. I am in middle of Hope's Affinity Quest. (I only finished Chapter 4 recently and wanted to try Hope out.)

But holy smokes...!

I have to walk that far from NLA to Cauldros (SP?) and it does really take me maybe 1 to 2 hours on a foot.

(Of course I know fast travel feature but I can't when it's unexplored/probe place.)

I did that quest yesterday.

I swam from Noctilum to Cauldros lol, just set it to autorun, took about 20 mins I think.

Great list for new players. In respect of fetch quest, especially those basic gathering quests from BLADE, I usually take all of them before exploration so that I can complete them while running around the region. I had completed a few gathering quests with this approach.

Also, people should try to take 30 minutes to read the manual. It clears up a lot things.

No reason to accept a basic fech quest unless you already have the items to complete it. Normal/affinity missions you're not as fortunate.

NeonZ

Taking basic fetch quests can be useful because if you find one of the various items then you can just run around in the area to finish the fetch quest at once - while if it isn't active you might not bother getting many of the same item, especially if they're rare.

Reward tickets seem to be pretty much only for enemy part drops, not the shinning collectibles - but it seems like every enemy drop appears there.

How is the game visually?

I think overall it looks pretty great, and some of the large open vistas are fantastic - probably some of the most beautiful locations I've seen in gaming. The performance also is extremely consistent.

However, there are some obvious sacrifices in order to achieve that - like common pop in (also textures noticeably changing as you get closer) and if you try to climb mountains that you aren't expected to you might find some surprisingly low res textures. New LA's commercial and residential districts also have pretty mediocre modeling work and sometimes texture work for the modern day-style buildings too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

You can also just go to the panel and chose the fetch quests for which you already have the materials and they autocomplete as soon as you close the menu.

Is it just me, or are the DLC quests the only ones that actually have a map marker to the monsters you need to kill if the objective is to kill some for any reason? Like they realized after finishing the game that "hey, this game's grindy enough as it is, why the hell aren't we just telling where the monster the player needs to farm for this mission is located at? Let's put markers for them in the DLC, at least!"
To be honest my feeling is those quests were designed by different people.

An example I ran into was during "the day in the life of" affinity quest where part way through it decides to be like, "find some loot off Placid Duogills, they're somewhere in Primordia LOL" with no map indicator of where to go. Yet if I had picked a mission on the quest board to kill the things instead the map would be flashing to give me lots of help. Btw in case anyone cares I'm told quick travel to "Silent Mire" during night time is your best bet.

It is really inconsistent and a shame those kind of things couldn't be on the whole time or better still able to choose like if you need some loot to make a weapon if you be great to note them down.

Zomba13

If a party member is in a skell and the skell is destroyed does that tick down the insurance by 1? Basically, when I have my party in skells should I worry about them?

burgerdog

Boouurns, all I need to get my skell is a collectible from Oblivia. Google fu failed me last night, so hard to find complete maps of this game!

Jarmel

Banned
If a party member is in a skell and the skell is destroyed does that tick down the insurance by 1? Basically, when I have my party in skells should I worry about them?

Nope. Party members aren't affected by the whole insurance thing. So if you have a Skell with only one insurance replacement left, throw it on a teammate.

aravuus

Different play style, and yeah, I believe this method only applies to basic missions.

Different indeed, one is efficient, other less so lol

I would also advice people to only take bounty and social quests off the terminal, as the former you actually have to do. Fetch quests should def be taken when you can finish them immediately.

Although NeonZ does raise a good point, too. Guess it depends on the situation-

To be honest my feeling is those quests were designed by different people.

An example I ran into was during "the day in the life of" affinity quest where part way through it decides to be like, "find some loot off Placid Duogills, they're somewhere in Primordia LOL" with no map indicator of where to go. Yet if I had picked a mission on the quest board to kill the things instead the map would be flashing to give me lots of help. Btw in case anyone cares I'm told quick travel to "Silent Mire" during night time is your best bet.

It is really inconsistent and a shame those kind of things couldn't be on the whole time or better still able to choose like if you need some loot to make a weapon if you be great to note them down.

Oh man, being able to tag a material and the game would tell you which enemies drop it and where they spawn.. That'd be insanely good

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Different play style, and yeah, I believe this method only applies to basic missions.

Yeah, I was talking about basic mission. By not taking fetching quests you avoid unnecessary grind, as you anyhow collect a lot of things during the other missions (if you don't purposely avoid the blue diamonds).

Affinity missions and main story is a different topic.

NeonZ

Boouurns, all I need to get my skell is a collectible from Oblivia. Google fu failed me last night, so hard to find complete maps of this game!

If it's the one I'm thinking about, there's a cave in the south coast of Oblivia that's filled with those things. Its entrance is in part of the small segment that resembles a beach, rather than rocky cliffs. There's a map pointing the specific location online if you search for the collectible's name. Going there once was enough to get all of them.

Sylas

I would also advice people to only take bounty and social quests off the terminal, as the former you actually have to do. Fetch quests should def be taken when you can finish them immediately.

Although NeonZ does raise a good point, too. Guess it depends on the situation-

Oh man, being able to tag a material and the game would tell you which enemies drop it and where they spawn.. That'd be insanely good

Legitimately the only complaint I really have with the game is that killing an enemy/picking up a collectable doesn't give you any information on where to find it again.

The enemy index at least tells you what time of day they spawn at, but it'd be nice if it gave you an area name/weather conditions for pickups and enemies once you've done them once.

Y'all are crazy! Melia, Fiora, and Sharla were my Charlie's Angels. I wrecked house with them.

Yeah Sharla isn't that great but she's my Xenobae. <3

aravuus

Murderess shares my disdain for Irina.

New permanent party member get, I'd say!

Legitimately the only complaint I really have with the game is that killing an enemy/picking up a collectable doesn't give you any information on where to find it again.

The enemy index at least tells you what time of day they spawn at, but it'd be nice if it gave you an area name/weather conditions for pickups and enemies once you've done them once.

Yeah, the index is unfortunately a lot less useful than I was hoping for

Raide

The flea squash things. Far north in Oblivia, a large lake with a man on camp in the middle. North of this is another probe, so portal back and forth from the camp and it has 5 or 6 collectables around a tree. Just keep doing this.

Getting to the above does take some monster dodging, so be careful.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just had a crazy idea. Based on this game/engine and the existing probes mechanic and species. Monolith could really build a spin-off Civilization like. It could be what Beyond Earth failed to be.

The flea squash things. Far north in Oblivia, a large lake with a man on camp in the middle. North of this is another probe, so portal back and forth from the camp and it has 5 or 6 collectables around a tree. Just keep doing this.

You can just fast travel to the caravan over and over even if you're right on top of it. Everything resets no matter how close you are to a fast travel point.

Can someone please take a picture of L's Bodywear on a female character? I need to see how it looks.

Q5vSHWq.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

also regarding fetch quests, you can ZL/ZR in the BLADE Quest menu and see the quest requirements. More importantly it will also tell you the current number of each item you have. This was awesome as I had like 4 quests that were either already complete or near complete. Easy way to handle the fetch quests.

Collectepedia is constantly nagged on by Tatsu in the lower left corner. But yeah, I just knew about it because it's identical to Xenoblade and I remembered it gave you free stuff in that game also.

Maybe I am not making myself clear. I mean after taking these gathering missions I can finish other things while collecting the items. This seems to be more efficient. Of course, the drawback is that it will take up spaces in the mission menu.

Raven77

So I was going to start playing last night for the first time and decided to read the 45 page manual first...

Yeah...so many of the complaints I hear in this thread are directly addressed in there. I'm really glad I took the hour to read it thoroughly.

Sylas

So I was going to start playing last night for the first time and decided to read the 45 page manual first...

Yeah...so many of the complaints I hear in this thread are directly addressed in there. I'm really glad I took the hour to read it thoroughly.

I think the problem would be alleviated if you could read the manual in a browser or on your phone or even physically. I read the manual, but honestly sitting at home is when I wanna play the game. Not read how to play the game.

kaitain19

Question: Can you play this game without updating the Wii U or any internet connections at all?

I just bought the Wii U and for some reason every single attempt at updating the system resulted in failures. I had no choice but to delete the entire system data and start over without internet connection if I want to play anything at all.

I'm starting to get the hang of combat here but I'm having trouble with TP. I never seem to have enough TP unless a battle drags on for awhile. I'm playing the Psycorruptor (Upgraded enforcer class) but I can only get enough TP for skills when fighting tyrants or a bunch of enemies.

Another question, do all of the party members have a class that the player character can choose? Would like to try some other classes out without committing my precious BP.

Alrus

I think the problem would be alleviated if you could read the manual in a browser or on your phone or even physically. I read the manual, but honestly sitting at home is when I wanna play the game. Not read how to play the game.

There's a pdf version of the manual online, I think it's even in the OP.

Neoweee

Did you still have insurance on that mech left? From what I've seen once insurance runs out you'll pay no matter how you perform

No, I think it was out.

Do you only get the prompt if you have insurance left? That wouldn't make any sense at all.

How do you check the insurance for a Skell?

The manual's explanation of insurance is complete dogshit, one way or another.

Skell repair costs are complete and utter bullshit. The game goes from a "dying doesn't matter much!" mechanic to "save and reload over and over!" at the halfway point.

burgerdog

If it's the one I'm thinking about, there's a cave in the south coast of Oblivia that's filled with those things. Its entrance is in part of the small segment that resembles a beach, rather than rocky cliffs. There's a map pointing the specific location online if you search for the collectible's name. Going there once was enough to get all of them.

Go to Nopon camp in Oblivia, it's at the lake in the Northeast.

Or use reward tickets.

Thanks for the tips, I will do this when I get out of work! I was pretty bummed I couldn't get my Skell before bed time yesterday :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom