• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Man, I wish this game was more transparent about some of its systems.

- I don't really know how or when I can level up my field skills

I'm assuming you are just starting out and haven't gotten to the point where you can do this? The second you join BLADE and leave the building, there's a quest giver right outside the barracks who unlocks this and instructs you on it. I think there's even a quest you complete that results in you leveling.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
i cant find the fn site here
QtM9sK4.jpg

I remember having trouble with a probe spot around there. Not sure if it's the same one, but I think it's in a cave. Toward the southern end of the area there's a place where you can drop down onto a path leading back upward. Along that path or at the end of it there's a tiny cave with the probe spot in it.

Yeah, I think that's the one in the cave. I remember going to it on the mountain (going up on the north-west part of it) and then, on the water side drop to a level below and there was a small ramp up tot the cave I think.

Chaos17

I think the problem would be alleviated if you could read the manual in a browser or on your phone or even physically. I read the manual, but honestly sitting at home is when I wanna play the game. Not read how to play the game.

The OP has a link to PDF manual :p
Poor Moon, no one read his post.

i cant find the fn site here
QtM9sK4.jpg

At the northern edge of the lake there, find a small trail that zigzags up the south side of that cliff face. The trail begins at the beach by a tree. It's in a tiny cave at the top. There's no need for a skell nor do you need to drop down from anywhere like others are suggesting. You can walk there.

Astral Dog

I'm starting to get the hang of combat here but I'm having trouble with TP. I never seem to have enough TP unless a battle drags on for awhile. I'm playing the Psycorruptor (Upgraded enforcer class) but I can only get enough TP for skills when fighting tyrants or a bunch of enemies.

Another question, do all of the party members have a class that the player character can choose? Would like to try some other classes out without committing my precious BP.
I cant say about the TP, but no the other characters cant change classes

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I cant say about the TP, but no the other characters cant change classes?

NPC's don't change classes. They do get a large variety of artes as they level, so plenty of customization as to how you wish them to play within their class. Each also carries two unique signature artes that can be learned for your MC through affinity missions too.

Lexxism

Need Skell for it. If its the one I got recently, you have to do some creative boost jumps.

Yeah, I think that's the one in the cave. I remember going to it on the mountain (going up on the north-west part of it) and then, on the water side drop to a level below and there was a small ramp up tot the cave I think.

At the northern edge of the lake there, find a small trail that zigzags up the south side of that cliff face. The trail begins at the beach by a tree. It's in a tiny cave at the top. There's no need for a skell nor do you need to drop down from anywhere like others are suggesting. You can walk there.
There we go. I finally found it. I can't believe I missed this one.

Alright Xenoblade GAF, you got me. I followed this from announcement, but did not plan on getting it. I havent played a Xeno game since Xenogears (in my top 3 of favorite games), so I really didnt know what to expect.

The characters look great, except for the creepy eyes. I LOVE the way that equipment drastically changes the way that you look.

Then I get to Primordia. At the very beginning, when the fog clears and morning hits... Holy shit. I havent had a moment like that in a game in a long time. This is seriously on another level. The sense of scale they impose is remarkable. Walking around dinosaurs, feeling no bigger than an ant... incredible.

I am hooked GAF. I now plan on upgrading my old 3DS so I can play the first one. I see the Xenogears series has evolved quite nicely!

boxter432

I cant say about the TP, but no the other characters cant change classes

NPC's don't change classes. They do get a large variety of artes as they level, so plenty of customization as to how you wish them to play within their class. Each also carries two unique signature artes that can be learned for your MC through affinity missions too.

yeah I think he is asking if the NPC's are all part of classes he wants to test out...so yes, if you want to see how a Full Metal Jaguar plays, switch to Elma, and so on.

desu

Btw when you are farming something, just exit your Skell and do return to Skell from the party menu to reload everything. Quite handy!

Decided not to start chapter 5 and instead do Phog's recruitment quest instead. Along with some exploration I found a mechanical 5 treasure box.

To be honest my feeling is those quests were designed by different people.

An example I ran into was during "the day in the life of" affinity quest where part way through it decides to be like, "find some loot off Placid Duogills, they're somewhere in Primordia LOL" with no map indicator of where to go. Yet if I had picked a mission on the quest board to kill the things instead the map would be flashing to give me lots of help. Btw in case anyone cares I'm told quick travel to "Silent Mire" during night time is your best bet.
Of course as I turn whatever dropped from Placid Duogills (actually their lower leveled cousins in a cave, yes I did check the reward tickets and it wasn't there) I notice one of the NPCs tells me to go to silent mire *sigh*. This makes me think the decision was if there is no NPC game will tell you where to go, if there is NPC talk to them instead...but talking does not help if you don't know where silent mire is (however I seem to recall in order to do the "the day in the life of" affinity quest you have to do a quest that makes you discover the scenic area).

I am level 18.
I just started chapter 5.

I made a huge mistake, didn't I? D:
My understanding is the objectives for the chapter you can sneak around the enemies instead. It is also a good thing to know when in the field in general. Still line of sight and sound aggro do feel a bit random at times. How far and how much noise is it?

anyone care to explan what going on this video cause sweet jesus wtf!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uKTQQu7zW4

Ahh nevermind it' servant sacrifice.
Ah so is basically this games equivalent of Sharla's Headshot art (which would instantly kill dazed enemies).

Teletraan1

Banned
Maybe I am not making myself clear. I mean after taking these gathering missions I can finish other things while collecting the items. This seems to be more efficient. Of course, the drawback is that it will take up spaces in the mission menu.

That is what I do as well. I take all those missions. I never set them as active. I go about my business and they usually get done while I am doing other things. I don't get how doing missions in the background would be deemed inefficient. Different definitions of efficient I guess.

zroid

Banned
I should start using combos more, so far I've just been focused on buffs and positional attacks. The game really throws a lot of stuff at you quickly.

Raide

That is what I do as well. I take all those missions. I never set them as active. I go about my business and they usually get done while I am doing other things. I don't get how doing missions in the background would be deemed inefficient. Different definitions of efficient I guess.

I do the same. They feel more like achievements popping up more than finishing a quest.

Malus

I remember people before release saying the characters felt "shrunk" in order to compensate for the mechs. I disagree, the world feels build for regular travel and the mechs feel gigantic.

Chaos17

Got this : invalid disc error suring chapter 7 :x
I should've gone digitaly.

Edit : cleaned the dish like three time, seems to be okay, now.
The heck ? The game never left my Wii u since I starter to play.

aravuus

Not me, primarily though because I was spoiled in a early preview, but when I was watching that preview I yelled at the guy doing it not to go there, so obviously a TRAP!

I didn't even need to see previews

It is a pretty obvious trap tbh

Got this : invalid disc error suring chapter 7 :x
I should've gone digitaly.

Edit : cleaned the dish like three time, seems to be okay, now.
The heck ? The game never left my Wii u since I starter to play.

Hope it's your disc and not the Wii U that's starting to break!

Astral Dog

How do you change classes? On the menu right? I was looking for an npc because i read somewhere you need to talk, but i cant find it.then remembered it could be on the main menu or something.

This game

Raide

I still wish the mp side was more active and less passive. I see player characters standing around so I can scout them but I would much prefer to see them running around. I think the game misses out on a huge potential to make hunting tyrants a more community focused task. I can see they track it etc but hunting parties on the fly would be so much more exciting.

I have done one or two quests with a party and they are really short. Do they vary in length later on?

webrunner

How do you change classes? On the menu right? I was looking for an npc because i read somewhere you need to talk, but i cant find it.then remembered it could be on the main menu or something.

This game

main menu->party->class
Any one you can switch to will not have a lock symbol

I am level 18.
I just started chapter 5.

I made a huge mistake, didn't I? D:

I can kill level 20s by now (finished the level 20 warthog tyrant near the entrance to Oblivia just now, took two tries, because my team kept pulling level 18 bugs into the fight..), but there is way too much going on at the sites I am supposed to go to above my level at the moment.
I wish they would give some level requirements when you accept a story mission. Goddamn.

Also, playing this in German is horrible when trying to look up locations of stuff I need for quests.

What's up with some of the quests by the way: Go kill 5 level 10 monsters. Easy! Now go collect that one random collectible from an area with nothing but level 30 monsters.
Wait, what?

I still have not finished that one mission where I am supposed to save Conner, because he lost his comm device at a cliff with two level 33 warthogs just waiting for me. Thanks a bunch, Conner.

I just finished chapter 5 at level 18 actually. Stealth is your best bet.

NeonZ

So yeah, I can safely say story isn't one of the reasons why I'm enjoying this game so much. The open world and mission structure really hurts it, and I still prefer more linear JRPGs by far. Thankfully the game's a fuckload of fun to play though.

They went with the current system with less story focus and an avatar main character because a larger story focus would require a bigger budget, and this was already their first hd title.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/368023/Tetsuya+Takahashi+Talks+Xenoblade+Chronicles+X/
In RPG development, the sections that cost the most are the cut scenes and events in the main story. Since this is Monolith Soft's first high-definition open world title, we decided to focus less on these and instead shift our resources into improving the quality of the gameplay - which is most important - especially the "hack and slash" combat. This is the reason that we decided to make the player's character an avatar without a real personality. In exchange, we focused on designing lots of quests, and added a lot of supporting characters related to these.

Personally, I didn't think Xenoblade's main story was anything special, so I enjoy this direction.

I have done one or two quests with a party and they are really short. Do they vary in length later on?

I've played though one online quest where the party had to search for monsters before fighting them thrice, and it was in Noctilum, so tons of obstacles and small spaces everywhere, but the monsters weren't particularly strong there either, so it didn't take long.

Exile20

I still have not finished that one mission where I am supposed to save Conner, because he lost his comm device at a cliff with two level 33 warthogs just waiting for me. Thanks a bunch, Conner.

Same here, holy shit. That thing killed me twice and I gave up. You can't sneak pass it.

Oh Conner.

Shun

Having a skell really helps looking for sneaky lobsters. I thought it was a fun quest till they said 99 of them.

It's 10x harder for someone like me who is directionally challenged. Even with a guide. These things are so small too.

aravuus

They went with the current system with less story focus and an avatar main character because a larger story focus would require a bigger budget, and this was already their first hd title.

I know, I remember reading about it before release. It certainly shows.

I personally wasn't a fan of Xenoblade's overall story either, but that's mostly because I hated most of the characters. I really liked the direction and pacing and particularly, the world and the plot. Two lone giants is still the most intriguing video game world I've seen, and the plot had some legit amazing twists.

Shame Shulk and Reyn
and Fiora
and others were just so annoying they brought the experience waaaay down for me.

Aside from haha hilarious nopon that looks like a potato, I really quite like all of the characters in XBX, so maybe the next Xeno game will finally do what no other Xeno game has done since Gears - have an interesting linear plot AND likeable characters

Raide

It's 10x harder for someone like me who is directionally challenged. Even with a guide. These things are so small too.

They appear with red markers on them, so you see a chunk of them as you run around. You need story progress to get all of them.

Skulldead

I really like the game so far (11 hour in). But my only complain is how overall easy the game is so far. I've died a few time because i was clearly too low level for the ennemies i was trying. Does the game get more challenging futher you advance? i've read horrible story with some chapter boss, but does sidequest tyran become much harder ? I'm also trying not to overleved the content.

I really like the game so far (11 hour in). But my only complain is how overall easy the game is so far. I've died a few time because i was clearly too low level for the ennemies i was trying. Does the game get more challenging futher you advance? i've read horrible story with some chapter boss, but does sidequest tyran become much harder ? I'm also trying not to overleved the content.
It really depends on your level tbh

I am hooked GAF. I now plan on upgrading my old 3DS so I can play the first one. I see the Xenogears series has evolved quite nicely!

This Xeno franchise has gone through some really interesting iterations since the days of Xenogears. If anything, you can't deny that this is a very ambitious franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom