• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

I've been wondering about this too. I'm guessing the only legit reason to keep stuff around would be for equipping lower-level characters that join you.

I'm keeping them in order to allow more visual customization for Fashion gear - it seems like even choosing an equipment for Fashion gear counts as using them. But if you don't use or care about Fashion Gear, yes, sell them.

Should I just sell weapons and armor I'm not using or is there some secret feature I should use them for?

I wish the sell price matched the buy price it would be worth selling

I have like 8 of the same kind of armor but sell price is too low

how do I turn off the miiverse pop-ups?

NeonZ

Thanks for the tips, I will do this when I get out of work! I was pretty bummed I couldn't get my Skell before bed time yesterday :lol

Here's a video showing the location I mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDHV0QZjpPQ

And here's the map.
http://i.imgur.com/nGltSKq.jpg

The north lake location really didn't work for me, in spite of many tries but that south cave worked in my first try. I ended up getting the collectibles for a couple of other quests too going there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Should I just sell weapons and armor I'm not using or is there some secret feature I should use them for?

I usually sell the doubles or the similar weapons (like lower levels and so). But mostly to keep the list clean, as you don't get so much money in return.

I finally got some play time in. (Real Life came up) I was headed out the door to get the regular version after falling for the hype and mistakenly canceling my LE pre-order at GAMESTOP. As I leave there is a package on my doorstep from Amazon...

Limited Edition Xenoblade X!

My dumbass or in this once in a lifetime fluke smart move ordered the game twice because Gamestop usually fucks up my orders...

So I have the game! I patiently wait to play it and yesterday I sunk 8 hours in...

Bloodborne is still my GOTY but this game is amazeballs. There are two issues with the game that make me scratch my head and wonder why... just hear me out people.

1- super small text
2- no sound settings

Those are the big two that bother me. Everything else is just me complaining and knowing that its on old media on a system that is pretty much last gen.

The game itself is absolutely stellar so far, I appreciate the scope and epicness of the size of the world. I like the concept of the "We just landed and have no idea what we are doing" I love the wandering around exploring only to not think anything will surprise me only to be shocked at getting around the edge of a mountain and seeing new amazing creatures that are even bigger then I could imagine drinking water and chilling without a care in the world.

It took me a while to get into Xenoblade Chronicles. Having played that game the battle system in this one was a relatively easy adjustment. Placing probes and exploring is my new addiction. I have only reached chapter 3 but it is so good.

So far it is still fresh and exciting but honestly I enjoyed Chronicles and this game is as epic as it was but with Mechs. So I feel I am probably still going to enjoy the game a lot.

ha ha. I get it. Tatsu looks like a potato and Lin wants to eat him. ha ha. How many times is this tired humor going to get run into the ground? I think this game may have the worst cutscenes I've seen in quite some time. Between the voices, the stilted choreography and camera shots that linger on a particular scene for 5 seconds too long (anything from a plate of breakfast to the very obvious hallway where the player is to head next)...I'm beginning to think Fallout 4's (fairly poor) character interactions could win an Oscar.

But the mechanics and complete package is addicting and fun. Oh JRPGs how I lovehate you so.

lunchtoast

Started playing the game last night, about to do chapter 4.

Is there really no way to know where to get items? I figured once you installed probes it would tell you what resources are in that area, but nope. Then I thought maybe you can go through collectopedia to see where you got the items from.

I can't find anything online except don't clutter your missions with fetch quests and just check to see if you have the items before you accept them. Can't believe they would have a ton of info you can look at but nothing about item locations.

ha ha. I get it. Tatsu looks like a potato and Lin wants to eat him. ha ha. How many times is this tired humor going to get run into the ground? I think this game may have the worst cutscenes I've seen in quite some time. Between the voices, the stilted choreography and camera shots that linger on a particular scene for 5 seconds too long (anything from a plate of breakfast to the very obvious hallway where the player is to head next)...I'm beginning to think Fallout 4's (fairly poor) character interactions could win an Oscar.

But the mechanics and complete package is addicting and fun. Oh JRPGs how I lovehate you so.

Yeah the cutscenes make it hard to not want to skip. Each one drags on and on.

NeonZ

Started playing the game last night, about to do chapter 4.

Is there really no way to know where to get items? I figured once you installed probes it would tell you what resources are in that area, but nope. Then I thought maybe you can go through collectopedia to see where you got the items from.

I can't find anything online except don't clutter your missions with fetch quests and just check to see if you have the items before you accept them. Can't believe they would have a ton of info you can look at but nothing about item locations.

As far as online information goes for item and monster location, there's this, although it still isn't complete.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/htmlview?sle=true

In-game, sometimes quest givers give you information about where you can get the items, and all monster drop materials (rather than the shinning collectibles) can be gotten by exchanging the mutiplayer tickets in your BLADE home (the room with the avatars from other players).

Neoweee

Dat difficulty curve.

It isn't a difficulty curve, though. It is one death equaling hours of revenue, vs. a few minutes of going back to your last save.

It's just poor design like almost every other tertiary mechanic in the game. There's not the remotest chance in hell that it was thought about enough to be an intentional difficulty jump.

Yeah the cutscenes make it hard to not want to skip. Each one drags on and on.

I skip most Normal Quest cutscenes, and every cooking scene, without fail.

Honestly, this game makes me worried for Persona 5. It feels like Japan hasn't played enough Western games to know about proper dialogue/animation skipping as is used in Mass Effect, Witcher, DA, etc. What worked a decade ago isn't really acceptable anymore.

Diablos54

I usually sell the doubles or the similar weapons (like lower levels and so). But mostly to keep the list clean, as you don't get so much money in return.
41 hours in I haven't sold a single item yet. Although I'll probably need to once I access Skells!

Only 4 and a half hours or so left till I'm back in Mira...

Thinking about this game all day at work this week....

TXieqIY.gif

Raven77

I think the problem would be alleviated if you could read the manual in a browser or on your phone or even physically. I read the manual, but honestly sitting at home is when I wanna play the game. Not read how to play the game.

Okay, but it literally takes less than an hour. An hour, to ensure you get the most out of, and understand what you're doing better in a game that you will likely be playing for 50-100+ hours. Seems like a no brainer to me.

zhixson

It isn't a difficulty curve, though. It is one death equaling hours of revenue, vs. a few minutes of going back to your last save.

It's just poor design like almost every other tertiary mechanic in the game. There's not the remotest chance in hell that it was thought about enough to be an intentional difficulty jump

It was also a sarcastic quip that was agreeing with you. There's no way that a sudden jump from not caring about death to suddenly having to stressfully plan out every movement in a single upgrade could ever be called a curve.

I've not yet gotten my Skell license, but money has been so free flowing in the game that I can't see being too terribly annoyed with it. We'll see, though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think the problem would be alleviated if you could read the manual in a browser or on your phone or even physically. I read the manual, but honestly sitting at home is when I wanna play the game. Not read how to play the game.

the link is literally in the OP. You could read it right now this very second it you wanted.

zhixson

It's just a PDF file. You can read it absolutely anywhere you can read one of those.

aravuus

Man, some of these characters must be major fetish fuel for certain people on the Internet

Chapter 8 spoilers, although it's really just a shot of a character

http://i.imgur.com/QsHsTrT.jpg

It was a pretty cool chapter. They must have blown like half of their cutscene budget with it lol.

e: dayum, Elma laying on the burns

Neoweee

It was also a sarcastic quip that was agreeing with you. There's no way that a sudden jump from not caring about death to suddenly having to stressfully plan out every movement in a single upgrade could ever be called a curve.

I've not yet gotten my Skell license, but money has been so free flowing in the game that I can't see being too terribly annoyed with it. We'll see, though.

Ah, sorry. My bad.

You have money for everything, until suddenly you don't. Even the cheapest Skell, with gear, lands at about 500k. Each death is in the ballpark of 100k or more.

Lexxism

I'm at the North Janpath Plain and I can't see the FN site in this place. I wonder if I need to do something first before it shows up?

killroy87

Man, I wish this game was more transparent about some of its systems.

- I don't really know how or when I can level up my field skills

- All the random shit like berries and crap that I pick up, is there a reason i should be keeping those? What can i comfortably sell?

- The inventory screens are confusing. With upgrading weapons and armor, it's incredibly hard to figure out when something is worth buying. What I currently have equipped might be better right now, but can these new items be upgraded to be even better?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I've seen no real reason to keep them outside of fashion or giving NPC's something improved to equip(pointless still given how easy it is to acquire stuff for them).

I do wish that a storage option existed if only to dump the unique armor I'd rather not sell, like NPC's default outfits and the various quest rewards(like swimsuits and pantsuits that I may use later, but don't want clogging my inventory)

- All the random shit like berries and crap that I pick up, is there a reason i should be keeping those? What can i comfortably sell?
There's not much reason to sell stuff ever if you set up frontiernav well. All that stuff is used for quests

Sylas

There's a pdf version of the manual online, I think it's even in the OP.

the link is literally in the OP. You could read it right now this very second it you wanted.
Well I'm a dumbass. It'd be cool if Nintendo themselves surfaced this, but bless GAF once again!

Okay, but it literally takes less than an hour. An hour, to ensure you get the most out of, and understand what you're doing better in a game that you will likely be playing for 50-100+ hours. Seems like a no brainer to me.
I mean, I don't disagree. I just think it'd be a lot better if there was a way to read the manual without having to go searching for it. I'm basically just bitching that there's no physical manual included in a game that would benefit massively from one!

Dee Dee

I am level 18.
I just started chapter 5.

I made a huge mistake, didn't I? D:

I can kill level 20s by now (finished the level 20 warthog tyrant near the entrance to Oblivia just now, took two tries, because my team kept pulling level 18 bugs into the fight..), but there is way too much going on at the sites I am supposed to go to above my level at the moment.
I wish they would give some level requirements when you accept a story mission. Goddamn.

Also, playing this in German is horrible when trying to look up locations of stuff I need for quests.

What's up with some of the quests by the way: Go kill 5 level 10 monsters. Easy! Now go collect that one random collectible from an area with nothing but level 30 monsters.
Wait, what?

I still have not finished that one mission where I am supposed to save Conner, because he lost his comm device at a cliff with two level 33 warthogs just waiting for me. Thanks a bunch, Conner.

burgerdog

Sylas

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "if you set up frontiernav well"? What is an ideal setup?

Slapping research probes on nodes that have a high grade for revenue, basically. Mining probes go onto places that have high production grades but you gotta be careful to not go over your current Miranium cap so you aren't wasting resources.

aravuus

Regarding most of the antagonists I've seen so far, it kinda feels like the writer(s) just went "let's just make them as arrogant and smug as possible so the player's would hate them."

I can't exactly blame them, though. With only 12 main story missions, most of them will get extremely little screen time, guess they're making do with what they've got.

So yeah, I can safely say story isn't one of the reasons why I'm enjoying this game so much. The open world and mission structure really hurts it, and I still prefer more linear JRPGs by far. Thankfully the game's a fuckload of fun to play though.

e: also I'm still expecting some neat twists, of course

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

1)Blade level dictates when you can level up field skills. Push Start and at the bottom of the screen is your rank. Each rank allows a point to choose a level in the three scavenge types. Talk to the NPC standing next to the quest board to use a point.

2)Keep that stuff. It is used for a variety of purposes including quest rewards, leveling up your armor/weapon augments from the AM terminal not far from the quest board, collectopedia too. You can usually safely sell collectibles you are overloaded on(like if you have 99 of something), but the money received isn't really great and you need not really worry about all those sitting in your inv.

Also, in general it is worth spending a bit of time talking to the various NPC's in town. Usually they provide little affinity boosting conversations regarding other NPC's for flavor, but just as often they clue you in to deeper tips on game mechanics. Many have given hints on where exactly to find some of the rare collectibles, or added some nice pointers on how to use certain skills or systems that the tutorial doesn't describe. Many directly answer some of the most asked questions in this thread. (I kind of dig the more organic approach of discovery, but I understand if posters get riled up by not having an upfront explanation or would rather not spend a bit of time sifting through dialogue in town)

okita

- The inventory screens are confusing. With upgrading weapons and armor, it's incredibly hard to figure out when something is worth buying. What I currently have equipped might be better right now, but can these new items be upgraded to be even better?

Each Blade level gives you one point to level up field skills, talk with Eleonora near the quest panel

Better keep the items, future quests could use it and besides that use them to fill your collectopedia in intel menu too

Take your time and read the manual , i think you're looking for augments

killroy87

Have lots of data probes set up, set up research probes in areas with sightseeing spots, be smart with booster and duplicator probes

Slapping research probes on nodes that have a high grade for revenue, basically. Mining probes go onto places that have high production grades but you gotta be careful to not go over your current Miranium cap so you aren't wasting resources.

Hmm, thanks for this. I've definitely not been paying much attention to what kinds of probes I set up where. I'll take a look tonight and see what can be changed.

Out of curiosity, what is money best used for in this game? Anything besides weapons and armor? Im currently level 14 in the first area, and the next increment of useful gear is locked behind level 20, so i have a metric ton of money and nowhere to spend it.

Hmm, thanks for this. I've definitely not been paying much attention to what kinds of probes I set up where. I'll take a look tonight and see what can be changed.

Out of curiosity, what is money best used for in this game? Anything besides weapons and armor? Im currently level 14 in the first area, and the next increment of useful gear is locked behind level 20, so i have a metric ton of money and nowhere to spend it.
SKELLS

Fandangox

Talk to the Woman in white at the Command center where you select basic missions, she levels up your field skills when your Blade levels up. You can check your blade level when pressing pause on the bottom right corner.

Also the blue items you collect are used for quests or crafting, and they have poor selling price, so there's no reason to sell them.

jonjonaug

i cant find the fn site here
QtM9sK4.jpg

I remember having trouble with a probe spot around there. Not sure if it's the same one, but I think it's in a cave. Toward the southern end of the area there's a place where you can drop down onto a path leading back upward. Along that path or at the end of it there's a tiny cave with the probe spot in it.

Tratorn

Where can I find the affinity quest that is required for chapter 7?
Couldn't find it anywhere in NLA...

Could someone please answer this? Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find it...
Is there a site already where I can find the locations of all affinity quests?

I'm keeping them in order to allow more visual customization for Fashion gear - it seems like even choosing an equipment for Fashion gear counts as using them. But if you don't use or care about Fashion Gear, yes, sell them.

Yeah, that's a good point. When I sell stuff, I try to keep at least one copy of it for fashion purposes.

But that doesn't apply to weapons, and I'm drowning in those, so I should probably sell them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom