• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daknight

Just finish chapter 4. Did take a detour in Noctium...Water is not your friend and that thing was not a damn skell. I went all 'Hey that skells looks cool...wait...oh crap!! Swim damn it! Swim!' Then I turn around to see the shore....lv 40 monster waiting for me. How i manage to escape is short of having amazing luck! Love that feeling the game can give of the truly unknown.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think it was there just because it looks cool and mysterious. Anime writers seem to LOVE mysterious countdowns.
While I could see how this would be a vital piece of information for the population on the White Whale, it defeats the purpose of putting it in full view of everybody if its meaning is kept a secret.

Ah well, I expect some wonky writing in my JRPGs. Just thought it was funny.
I think its pretty good for using it as a motivator for BLADE members

Just finish chapter 4. Did take a detour in Noctium...Water is not your friend and that thing was not a damn skell. I went all 'Hey that skells looks cool...wait...oh crap!! Swim damn it! Swim!' Then I turn around to see the shore....lv 40 monster waiting for me. How i manage to escape is short of having amazing luck! Love that feeling the game can give of the truly unknown.

You could escape that thing?! I somehow think that thing could move, so I save before jumping into the water. Ha! My party was rekt within three seconds.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Spent last know on several Tyrant missions and maxed out my Galactic Knight class so I can use my lightsab-- I mean photon saber with any other class.

And I just learned that any Arts with the letters "TP" slapped on uses your meter while the ones that don't... don't. So I fixed my Arts selection so it won't use my TP. EDIT: As much.

I'd have at least 1 that uses TP. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but they usually are more powerful then the ones that don't use TP. You build TP and need to spend it on something otherwise it goes to waste.

tizaffy

Neo Member
apart from the G BUSTER, which seems to be a universal choice, any other weapons people would recommend?? Should i be going gear that makes the most of the G buster??

random25

I think it was there just because it looks cool and mysterious. Anime writers seem to LOVE mysterious countdowns.
While I could see how this would be a vital piece of information for the population on the White Whale, it defeats the purpose of putting it in full view of everybody if its meaning is kept a secret.

Ah well, I expect some wonky writing in my JRPGs. Just thought it was funny.

I'll just give my personal theory on this.
The timer was just supposed to be for those who are awake during their space travel in White Whale to force inform everyone awake that there are power problems when they remained adrift for too long without anything to renew their energy sources. It just so happen that things got out of control when they were ambushed, crashed down on an unknown territory and force awake more people in Mira to rebuild their colony. And those who were waken or who were long awake but not oriented because they aren't higher-ups were not informed of the significance of the timer to not cause panic and chaos. And people may just be "meh" when they see the countdown.

Ulysses 31

apart from the G BUSTER, which seems to be a universal choice, any other weapons people would recommend?? Should i be going gear that makes the most of the G buster??

Personally I like weapons that can hit multiple enemies like the BB Sword.

I also found a Voltstorm and G2 Buster that hit multiple enemies. \o/

cyba89

Those little stories in the game like chapter 7 or
water purification
(sidequest) are a lot darker and tragic in tone than I expected this game to be.

Golnei

I'll just give my personal theory on this.
The timer was just supposed to be for those who are awake during their space travel in White Whale to force inform everyone awake that there are power problems when they remained adrift for too long without anything to renew their energy sources. It just so happen that things got out of control when they were ambushed, crashed down on an unknown territory and force awake more people in Mira to rebuild their colony. And those who were waken or who were long awake but not oriented because they aren't higher-ups were not informed of the significance of the timer to not cause panic and chaos. And people may just be "meh" when they see the countdown.

The readout being an easy way for the crew to check the Lifehold's power supply at all times while in flight does seem to be a plausible in-universe reason. Though making most NLA citizens ignorant of its true significance might have been easier to swallow if they knew its purpose from the beginning, but not why the current state was cause for concern. Like if the cover story was that the 'countdown' was just a result of the readout malfunctioning due to the connection being temporarily severed, and the twist would be the revelation that it's actually reflecting the current state of the Lifehold.

What is the point in talking to other player avatars and asking for division support?

Other then that yellow box over each division icon appearing I see no benefit.

I also see based on division rankings most people have left for the most popular one.

My division the pathfinder are the lowest. Oh well. I'm sticking with them.

Sölf

I also see based on division rankings most people have left for the most popular one.

Yeah, Harrier for life! I am not that concerned about the extra spoils I get, I am more interested in the melee damage boost this division gives me.

random25

The readout being an easy way for the crew to check the Lifehold's power supply at all times while in flight does seem to be a plausible in-universe reason. Though making most NLA citizens ignorant of its true significance might have been easier to swallow if they knew its purpose from the beginning, but not why the current state was cause for concern. Like if the cover story was that the 'countdown' was just a result of the readout malfunctioning due to the connection being temporarily severed, and the twist would be the revelation that it's actually reflecting the current state of the Lifehold.

I'm assuming the involvement of the "government" could have affected how information was distributed to the citizens of NLA. Remember how the old dude Maurice lied about 10 new survivors at the beginning? And the citizens look to be so carefree anyway that the majority simply accepted it as a fact.

Regiruler

What is the point in talking to other player avatars and asking for division support?

Manual says that it boosts the chance of certain effects, or makes certain effects guaranteed instead of chance.

Idk may be tales from my ass.

Xenoboy

So I just got to Primadoria Waters without knowing it existed... It's gorgeous and I love the music there.
Are there going to be any probe locations there and a map? I haven't started chapter 4 yet, so I don't if there's going to be more about that place.

JulianImp

Still, I don't really understand how in the world they can
check the backup power levels of the main lifehold unit remotely. Even if they had some sort of ultra-range futuristic wi-fi, wouldn't that allow them to pinpoint the lifehold unit's location?

Or am I getting it all wrong and are thos numbers
the back-up generator for a system that keeps mims alive? That'd make a lot more sense since that one could be a module that's actually part of NLA rather than a mysterious lost module that's somehow sending energy readings remotely.

Zafir

Man, a couple more Research probes and I'll hit 200K. 180K+ right now. :)

33 iirc
Jeez, I haven't even found enough research probes to get anywhere close. I haven't even got enough of any level to get a 3 link. :|

That said, I'm only after chapter 6.

Ventara

How are some of you getting so much money? I only get 20K. I've been playing for 50 hours, so it's not like I've been ignoring quests. Only just got my Skell though. Will try to push through to get the flight module quickly.

Jolkien

I have no idea but I want to assume it's a blind debuff that causes enemy attacks to miss or it lowers their accuracy.

Wish there was a place I could read up on status effects.

You mean like the game manual that comes with every copy of the game ? >_>
Blackout reduce the accuracy, evasion and the amount of damage dealt by ranged weapon.

LProtag

Are probes the real only quick way to get money? I'm up to 30K or so a pop, but I don't have any more research probes.

I'm piloting Mastema, but I don't have enough money to get any of the rest of my party skells.

Riki

I'm 25 hours in and I know I still have a long way to go (just finished Chapter 4), and I'm already having anxiety that this game will end.
I don't want it to end, GAF! I want this game to last forever!

So, just a question, but with Skells, are there any good ways to ensure that you're going to do more binds? I've got three Skells which is AWESOME right now, but it doesn't feel like there are enough opportunity for Binds, wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I don't think anyone answered this yet, but you can only Bind if an enemy is Stagger'd. So, add more weapons that cause that if you want more.

tizaffy

Neo Member
totally skint now, bought the G buster, sorted all my probe placements out with optimal duplicator and storage placement probes. got 6k left! just waiting for the money to roll in now while i save up for the Pheonix weapon that was recommended. leaving my wii on while i go gym so hopefully there is a stash of money when i get back :D

TheFatMan

If you ask for their Division support you get that players division bonus. HP regen from Pathfinders....melee bonus from Harriers....etc

It's a nice little bonus, but it doesn't last forever.

Zomba13

What does he do, anyway? He's tagging along with my guys but I didn't notice any tangible benefit. Am I missing some new mechanic or does he really just stay around to take part in story conversations?

He's there so Lin can make horrible food related jokes at his expense.

And occasionally do something that kinda impacts the plot.

Dr Dogg

So I was just doing the H. B. affiliation questline and I was thinking to myself "this guy sounds familiar" so went and checked the credits and the dude is voiced by D C Douglas. You can have Wesker in your party!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I was just doing the H. B. affiliation questline and I was thinking to myself "this guy sounds familiar" so went and checked the credits and the dude is voiced by D C Douglas. You can have Wesker in your party!
Cool! I thought he sounded like Jesse from the 90s Pokemon series, or maybe that was someone else..?

Drop

Still, I don't really understand how in the world they can
check the backup power levels of the main lifehold unit remotely. Even if they had some sort of ultra-range futuristic wi-fi, wouldn't that allow them to pinpoint the lifehold unit's location?

Or am I getting it all wrong and are thos numbers
the back-up generator for a system that keeps mims alive? That'd make a lot more sense since that one could be a module that's actually part of NLA rather than a mysterious lost module that's somehow sending energy readings remotely.

They don't need to receive a signal, you could calculate the remaining power by knowing how much power the backup unit had and how much is consumed in a unit of time by the lifehold.

Even if they don't know the exact time the lifehold got detached from the white whale the calculation would be accurate enough to give them a "time limit".

zroid

Banned
It's pretty amazing how time can just vanish when you're exploring without even any particular mission at hand. There's so much stuff to discover everywhere.

I think the game has done a real good job of making exploring freely not tied to any specific goals, but still given some urgency since probe sites are important and you need to up survey rate to progress in the story. It strikes the perfect balance of giving you the feeling that what you're doing is meaningful, without putting much pressure on you to do it so it feels like a chore.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok how do you guys handle the 4th character position? I understand you pretty much need Lin and Elma for everything, so do you guys just rotate out a fourth?

Lately I just randomly pick up one of the random other characters, although they don't say jack shit in really of the missions outside their own affinity missions. So I carry a guy in my party and then use a Scout player as my 4th when I see them out in the field. That way i feel like I'm helping another person out by using their avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom