• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Ok how do you guys handle the 4th character position? I understand you pretty much need Lin and Elma for everything, so do you guys just rotate out a fourth?

Lately I just randomly pick up one of the random other characters, although they don't say jack shit in really of the missions outside their own affinity missions. So I carry a guy in my party and then use a Scout player as my 4th when I see them out in the field. That way i feel like I'm helping another person out by using their avatar.

Only been using Lao really. If I have to use someone else, I'll just power level them later.

jwhit28

I can't believe how long the Wii U Pro Controller last on a single charge. I haven't charged it since I got Xenoblades and I'm 44 hours in.

Just started yesterday, got to Chapter 3.

This has already grabbed me more than Xenoblade Chronicles ever did. Hoping for a reasonable feeling of progression as I start nabbing sidequests instead of main story stuff.

THIS MUSIC OH MY GOD.

JulianImp

They don't need to receive a signal, you could calculate the remaining power by knowing how much power the backup unit had and how much is consumed in a unit of time by the lifehold.

Even if they don't know the exact time the lifehold got detached from the white whale the calculation would be accurate enough to give them a "time limit".

Makes some sense, but then again
the lifehold unit could've sustained damage on re-entry and/or crash-landing, which could've taken part of the power sources offline, screwing BLADE's estimates and possibly leading them to their doom unless they act fast enough.

The bigger plot hole with all that is that
we've got a time limit in an open world game, which creates a huge plot-gameplay disconnect since you can run around doing every single non-story mission out there without the lifehold's energy depleting at all until you begin the next story mission.

It's pretty amazing how time can just vanish when you're exploring without even any particular mission at hand. There's so much stuff to discover everywhere.

Yeah, I love how fun it is to just got around the map doing exploration, planting probes and gathering interactable relics.

Just got a skell.....how do I fly like I've seen others do? It seems like I can only do short jumps.

The flying add-on can only be gotten after chapter 9 of the main story, so you've got a while to go before that.

burgerdog

tumblr_nyphrtE0nP1ul1boko3_1280.jpg

Which arms dealer has this armor?

Neoweee

I think the beauty of this game is you aren't forced into playing any particular way at all. It's very open ended. Only thing is does is lock out certain characters for story purposes.

I think the exact opposite is true. I've never seen an RPG cripple its build-variety better than XCX via frequent party restrictions.

People keep saying "just explore" and I've been doing that for three hours. I STILL haven't got 15% (at 11.1%) after playing the game for 8 hours. I've done Kizuna missions and I get no gain in field percentage. I tried finding treasure in areas of the map where that says that is the basic objective, opps my player isn't high enough in that area and it is a few levels up. Okay will let me go to objective to fight tyrants, turns out they are several levels above me. Okay well maybe I'm missing something. Time to open up that manual that reviews say I will have to use time to time. Doesn't tell me anything I already know. What the fuck...

Daknight

You could escape that thing?! I somehow think that thing could move, so I save before jumping into the water. Ha! My party was rekt within three seconds.

I just got lucky, it only hit two of my characters and manage to escape with the others. Then ran up the vine from the monsters in the shore.

Neoweee

Do I need to put a mining probe on a site with rare minerals, or can I put say a research probe?

You can put whatever you want, but you'll only get the Rare Minerals if you have the Mining. Optimization and getting what you need from your FrontierNav layout is non-trivial, and dependent on what you have unlocked, etc. If there are Landmarks in the area, it could be worth more as research, and the rare minerals could be bought at the Reward Ticket Terminal.

I'm completely enamored with this game.

With Xenoblade Chronicles I didn't do any of the sidequests and just went through the main story.

In X I'm pretty much doing all the side content that can be done (Normal Missions/Affinity Missions/Exploring/Hunting Tyrants).

It's so good, I'e spent about 60 hours so far and am on Chapter 8 yet I don't feel any boredom or fatigue. The game just keeps adding more stuff to do and upgrade like the Skells for example. I love how it's another complete layer on top of the ground combat.

Jisgsaw

You can put whatever you want, but you'll only get the Rare Minerals if you have the Mining. Optimization and getting what you need from your FrontierNav layout is non-trivial, and dependent on what you have unlocked, etc. If there are Landmarks in the area, it could be worth more as research, and the rare minerals could be bought at the Reward Ticket Terminal.

Yeah, I spent on hour yeasterday playing a bit around, and noticing I'd definitively want to put research probe where there are sight seeing spots. I just wasn't patient enough to check the rare mineral bit, thanks!

That sure isn't helping optimizing your grid...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What exactly does it mean when a move increases a "buff/debuff tier"?

Also I have like 50-some Mining Probes, but no more Storage Probes to make use of all of them or any Research Probes for my funds. :/

Zomba13

I'm completely enamored with this game.

With Xenoblade Chronicles I didn't do any of the sidequests and just went through the main story.

In X I'm pretty much doing all the side content that can be done (Normal Missions/Affinity Missions/Exploring/Hunting Tyrants).

It's so good, I'e spent about 60 hours so far and am on Chapter 8 yet I don't feel any boredom or fatigue. The game just keeps adding more stuff to do and upgrade like the Skells for example. I love how it's another complete layer on top of the ground combat.

Same. In XC I just mainlined the story maybe doing some side things if I needed to grind a bit but here I'm doing them even when I don't need to grind. I'm exploring and planting probes and finding salvage and looking for viewpoints, I'm taking on tyrants, I'm doing side missions/affinity missions because the stories are interesting. I mean, the world of XB was super cool and unique but I just had no desire to do side stuff, I wanted to march on with the story.

rhandino

Banned
After playing for like 5 hours and after beating
the First Tyrant
this are some of my early impressions:

1) World is really beautiful and the sense of scale is amazing. I was floored the moment I got to explore Primordia and almost got lost because everything is so... vast and grandiose.

2) Music so far has been incredible with Primorida Day/Night theme being my favorite so far and rivaling Gaur Plains or Colony 9 themes. NLA themes sounds like something out of Persona but not in a bad way. Oh, and the Normal Combat theme and the one used when I fought my first Tyrant are amazing.

3) Characters so far are great with the highlight for me being Elma and Lin (#ElmaForSmash5) but I also liked the little I saw from Irina, Doug and Nagi...

4) Combat System is a more action packed version of the one in Xenoblade and I quite like it. I replayed the original a bit last week and my first fights in this one were kind of "What I am doing..." but once you get the hang out it is truly a bliss to play and even see. My brother who could not stand the combat of the original was hooked seeing me play and fight the first large enemies so I think he is going to play this one.

Oh, and the Soul Voice system is seriously growing in me a LOT since it adds another layer to the combat.

So far I'm loving the game a lot, will post my characters later... because I rebooted the game like 3 times because I'm still not sure what kind of character want to make... will probably go with a Lt. Motoko Kusanagi =3

Same. In XC I just mainlined the story maybe doing some side things if I needed to grind a bit but here I'm doing them even when I don't need to grind. I'm exploring and planting probes and finding salvage and looking for viewpoints, I'm taking on tyrants, I'm doing side missions/affinity missions because the stories are interesting. I mean, the world of XB was super cool and unique but I just had no desire to do side stuff, I wanted to march on with the story.

Yeah, I just find the world they've made in X to be really interesting. Open World games usually bore me because I feel like i'm travelling through samish environments but Xenoblade fixes that imo with giving you all these unique continents to explore filled with enemies you have to be wary of since areas are not segregated into level appropriate zones. Not to mention once you get Skells your travel method changes and naturally the same thing will occur once I get flight which will add another layer into the mix.

What exactly does it mean when a move increases a "buff/debuff tier"?

Also I have like 50-some Mining Probes, but no more Storage Probes to make use of all of them or any Research Probes for my funds. :/

Buffs/Debuffs have levels like Critical Power II. The Early Bird arte (Winged Viper class I think) raises your current buff tier by +1 so that means if I use that one Winged Viper skill that gives me the Critical Power buff then it will be raised by one from its current level.

So something like;

[Get Critical Power II buff > Use Early Bird > Now have Critical Power III buff active]

Buffs/Debuffs gain more power the higher their level is, so being able to increase the tier of a buff/debuff will make it stronger essentially.

The example I gave is specific to a skill that raises the tier of a buff already active. If the skill says something like "Secondary Cooldown: Increases buff/debuff tier by 1" then that means you have to wait for the green circle to fill over the arte in battle to get the Secondary Cooldown effect when you use it. Tertiary Cooldown is only when using Overdrive mode FYI.

I think the exact opposite is true. I've never seen an RPG cripple its build-variety better than XCX via frequent party restrictions.

And the strange thing is there is a list for 4 reserve non-party members that the game doesn't use.

At *least* they could put the characters faces on their map location instead of the generic gold shield, in addition to having a fast travel option to each of them. Tapping randomly on the map trying to remember where Phog is... I want a word with whoever the β testers were.

Xenoboy

After playing for like 5 hours and after beating
the First Tyrant
this are some of my early impressions:

1) World is really beautiful and the sense of scale is amazing. I was floored the moment I got to explore Primordia and almost got lost because everything is so... vast and grandiose.

2) Music so far has been incredible with Primorida Day/Night theme being my favorite so far and rivaling Gaur Plains or Colony 9 themes. NLA themes sounds like something out of Persona but not in a bad way. Oh, and the Normal Combat theme and the one used when I fought my first Tyrant are amazing.

3) Characters so far are great with the highlight for me being Elma and Lin (#ElmaForSmash5) but I also liked the little I saw from Irina, Doug and Nagi...

4) Combat System is a more action packed version of the one in Xenoblade and I quite like it. I replayed the original a bit last week and my first fights in this one were kind of "What I am doing..." but once you get the hang out it is truly a bliss to play and even see. My brother who could not stand the combat of the original was hooked seeing me play and fight the first large enemies so I think he is going to play this one.

Oh, and the Soul Voice system is seriously growing in me a LOT since it adds another layer to the combat.

So far I'm loving the game a lot, will post my characters later... because I rebooted the game like 3 times because I'm still not sure what kind of character want to make... will probably go with a Lt. Motoko Kusanagi =3

Nice to hear, Glad you're having fun with the game and I'm also rooting Elma for Smash :D

One thing they could add is letting you contact your party members with your comm device. Would alleviate some of the pain of having to run around to get your party together.

One other thing I think they should improve on for the next Xeno title is improved facial animations.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) had some pretty emotive facial animations which added a lot to the cutscenes. I'm not sure what happened in X but they are pretty limited. I hope they can improve that for next time.

Golnei

So I was just doing the H. B. affiliation questline and I was thinking to myself "this guy sounds familiar" so went and checked the credits and the dude is voiced by D C Douglas. You can have Wesker in your party!

You can technically have two Weskers in your party, if you gave your avatar the Mary McGlynn voice.

Instead of restarting, wouldn't it be easier to stick with one and then change it later if you have second thoughts? The only thing that can't be altered later in the game is your avatar's name; everything else can be reset.

Kouriozan

What did you think of chapter 12 and the stinger? I'm curious to hear more opinions
Don't really know, that after credit scene left me with tons of questions.
Plus, I wanted to know more about Elma but that might be post-game stuff, the final boss was very similar to The Last Story.
Also, f*ck Lao, spent most of my time training him and when he left/betrayed BLADE I was sad, lol.

zroid

Banned
Weapon drops are tailored to your class, right? As a FMJ I always seem to get a shit load of dual swords/guns and hardly anything else.

Just mastered it and am deciding which class to change to... photon sabres are enticing...

Golnei

Damn. I didn't know
Lao
will be part of the team for chapter 6. Dammit. I made a huge mistake. He's so useless.

It's your fault for not recognising the second-best character in the game as soon as you laid eyes on him. He should be ten levels higher than Elma by Chapter 6.

No, the
Savage Sketch
, actually!

FYI to anyone doing the mech level 5 quest, a fantastic spot for finding the savage sketches is FN 515 (north part of the eastern cliffs) and just walking up the road to the cliffs above, and warping back to FN 515 and repeat. I may have gotten incredibly lucky but I feel each time I warped, half the time the collectible would be picked up in the lower part of the cliffside roadway. I was amazed how easy it was.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
People keep saying "just explore" and I've been doing that for three hours. I STILL haven't got 15% (at 11.1%) after playing the game for 8 hours. I've done Kizuna missions and I get no gain in field percentage. I tried finding treasure in areas of the map where that says that is the basic objective, opps my player isn't high enough in that area and it is a few levels up. Okay will let me go to objective to fight tyrants, turns out they are several levels above me. Okay well maybe I'm missing something. Time to open up that manual that reviews say I will have to use time to time. Doesn't tell me anything I already know. What the fuck...

Okay, look here are a few points you need to know to get off the ground for the first few chapters:

1. You NEED to talk to that lady in front of the Blade Mission board to upgrade your "Field Skills" (Field Skills are used during those QTEs where you have to mash A to open a "treasure" and plant probes in the ground). UPGRADE MECHANICAL. You need to have Mechanical to plant probes. I think you need to get it up to Lv.3 and you'll probably be able to get every probe you run across for the first ~20 hours of the game.

2. You NEED to plant probes to get that exploration % up. A lot of the missions on the Hex grid, you really can't access yet - especially killing tyrants. You won't be killing a lot of Tyrants in the beginning of the game. You could spend hours searching for treasures specifically - but don't. You'll run across those organically, while exploring.

3. You ARE supposed to go into high level enemy areas, GET OVER IT. This game does NOT have a typical progression of:

"Area 1 enemies are scaled to your level, Area 2 is scaled slightly above, Area 3 is scaled very high"

This game is more like: " Area 1 enemies are easy, Area 2 are hard, Area 3 are medium, Area 4 is hard, Area 5 is easy, Area 6 is SUPER FUCKING HIGH LEVEL, Area 7 is easy, Area 8 is hard, Area 9 is medium, etc."

You get it? High and low level enemies are spread all about (the first continent and the two adjacent ones). Most of the higher level enemies you can brush by them and won't attack you... some of them however will one-shot you. It's going to happen, you're going to get OHKO sometimes, GET OVER THAT. Go around them a different way next time.

Most posters in this thread are getting frustrated by #3. They want the game to go in a progression of, I'll 100% the first location, then move to the next. That's NOT how this game works.

Honestly, if you're 8 hours and not at 15%, you're not planting enough probes. Find out where they are on the map, and try to get them. Some of them you can't get to yet - GET OVER IT. If you can't find a probe location that supposed to be in that Hex, MOVE ON. Keep exploring. It's honestly really easy to get 15% by planting probes on the first contient, you just have to do a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom