• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave personally approved the voices
rubyspearsdave2_by_spring_heel_jackie-d6ei7zz.png

The chipmunks are all I can think about when I see them lmao

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
One thing they could add is letting you contact your party members with your comm device. Would alleviate some of the pain of having to run around to get your party together.

I KNOW. It's freaking annoying to run around and find party members. They don't even show up as a different colored dot on your mini-map, right? You literally have to look for their name, and then it appears some of them are not there 24/7, only during certain times of the day, right?

I'm wondering if I could get through the whole game just using Scout members in my 4th party slot lol.

Actually that's a good question: Who are the required characters and who are the characters you could ignore and never use again for the game?

I'm dissappointed when you have these characters in your party during story missions - they don't even talk. There's literally only three main characters: Elma, Lin, and Tatsu. I wish more characters talked during the story missions. I guess that's what Affinity missions are for. But then it feels akward to NOT have them talk when they were all just chatty cathy in the Affinity, but not story missions.

vareon

Alright, another awesome adventure today.

Doing Murderess' quest to inspect a White Whale part in fuck nowhere of Noctilum. Helped to stop Mia on the way. Battled, sneaked, get thrown to death, fighting robots out of nowhere, jumping from cliff to cliff just to avoid indigents, falling off a waterfall, etc only to realize I WAS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ISLAND.

Backtracked, tried another way past high-level mobs, ran away with critical HP several times. Then I finally reached the quest mark.

This game. I kinda do not want to own a Skell now if it means missing all that.

The Wii U download system is fucking inconceivably terrible.

I started DLing the high speed packs today so I could play later. So I "buy" them all and it says it's gonna DL them and everything is hunky dory. Okay cool. As soon as it's done, I go out to the DL management menu to keep an eye on it over the course of the day and it says there was an error. Okay well, this shit happens. The only way I can reDL the stuff is to delete it so I delete it and...it's gone from the DL management list. Well that's odd and irritating. I have to go back to the store and individually tell it to DL all the stuff I just bought again, going through about 5 menus for each one (one of which tells me, hilariously, that the content is already DLed). Maybe it just didn't like handling it all at once so I choose to download one of the packs while I go take a shower. Come back and it's almost done, alright, neat. When it finishes I go in and tell it to DL another. An hour later and my console has automatically shut off because of power settings. Alright, that's totally my fault, I never did check that kind of stuff. I'll just restart the download. Oh. It's corrupt and I have to delete it to download it again. That's fucking stupid, why can't I just resume a download? Well I'll just delete the pack that got interrupted and-I can't individually select the items in the DLC, even though one of them downloaded fine and isn't corrupt.

The fucking fuck.

So I'm DLing them all after going to the fucking store and it's fucking 20 menus for each individual item I have to DL individually even though they're grouped together and can't be looked at individually in the system itself with power save off and if it happens one more time I'm throwing my Wii U out the window then going outside and picking it back up and plugging it in and playing it without these fucking packs.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Dave personally approved the voices
rubyspearsdave2_by_spring_heel_jackie-d6ei7zz.png

LOL I literally had the same thought this morning, just started chapter 5.

"... Who thought this was a good idea after hearing this, or casting these voice actors?"

I guess I need to post in the 8-4 Podcast thread. It makes NO sense to me why anyone thought that voice style is... acceptable.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I started DLing the high speed packs today so I could play later. So I "buy" them all and it says it's gonna DL them and everything is hunky dory. Okay cool. As soon as it's done, I go out to the DL management menu to keep an eye on it over the course of the day and it says there was an error. Okay well, this shit happens. The only way I can reDL the stuff is to delete it so I delete it and...it's gone from the DL management list. Well that's odd and irritating. I have to go back to the store and individually tell it to DL all the stuff I just bought again, going through about 5 menus for each one (one of which tells me, hilariously, that the content is already DLed). Maybe it just didn't like handling it all at once so I choose to download one of the packs while I go take a shower. Come back and it's almost done, alright, neat. When it finishes I go in and tell it to DL another. An hour later and my console has automatically shut off because of power settings. Alright, that's totally my fault, I never did check that kind of stuff. I'll just restart the download. Oh. It's corrupt and I have to delete it to download it again. That's fucking stupid, why can't I just resume a download? Well I'll just delete the pack that got interrupted and-I can't individually select the items in the DLC, even though one of them downloaded fine and isn't corrupt.

The fucking fuck.

So I'm DLing them all after going to the fucking store and it's fucking 20 menus for each individual item I have to DL individually even though they're grouped together and can't be looked at individually in the system itself with power save off and if it happens one more time I'm throwing my Wii U out the window then going outside and picking it back up and plugging it in and playing it without these fucking packs.

THAT SUCKS.

Thank you for making me feel better about going digital. I haven't seen anyone else post about this problem in this thread, though. Sounds like bad luck with your internet or Nintendo's servers. Maybe both. People in this thread have reported losing server connection while playing this game. It happened to me this morning and maybe three times total in about ~20 hours of playing.

I've had nothing but headaches with the Wii U store and it's methods of downloading. I rarely use it so it's not a big thing but every time I have it's just fought me every step of the way. Back when my old apartment had spotty internet that would connect and disconnect randomly, holy shit. Took me like 4 days to download an update.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've had nothing but headaches with the Wii U store and it's methods of downloading. I rarely use it so it's not a big thing but every time I have it's just fought me every step of the way. Back when my old apartment had spotty internet that would connect and disconnect randomly, holy shit. Took me like 4 days to download an update.

Have you tried buying a cheap USB Ethernet adapter for the WiiU? I hear its a cheap method to hardwire your WiiU and works "better" at maintaining stable connections.

At least that's what those crazies on Smash OT say...

TheMoon

The fucking fuck.

You do know the system just downloads and installs stuff when it's off, right? You don't have to leave it running?

It turned off and as a result it said it lost the connection and corrupted my data. I'm not taking that chance again and waiting more hours. If it turned off and DLed in the background I wouldn't be having this issue, it would've already been done.

Edit: I'll be civil. Yes, I am aware. And no, it didn't do that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I finally beat the main story. What a wonderful experience, and that last chapter was something else. I love you
Elma.....

It turned off and as a result it said it lost the connection and corrupted my data. I'm not taking that chance again and waiting more hours. If it turned off and DLed in the background I wouldn't be having this issue, it would've already been done.

Are you sure you didnt disable standby mode?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

That really sucks dude, I'd be pissed off too. I don't know if you came here for empathy or advice, but I'll give you both.

My only helpful suggestion is to spend $10 and hardwire your WiiU. That may help from getting your connection to drop and corrupt your downloads. Other posters on GAF have posted saying they couldn't live without a hardwired WiiU - so that's something.

So it's the Wii U's fault you had shitty internet? Just pick the game/DLC to download and get on with your day guys. It downloads in the background. I feel like the only reason all these crazy things happen with downloading games is because you guys keep trying to over complicate the process

He's there so Lin can make horrible food related jokes at his expense.

And occasionally do something that kinda impacts the plot.

And to talk shit about NPCs you meet on Affinity Missions

Evilkazz

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find a video featuring all of the available Skells/Dolls in the game?

I guess these can be considered spoilers to some but I'm interested in getting one of the DLC(that's already in the game in the west) skells but the afinity quests they're tied to take a while and a good amount of effort so I want to prioritize what I go for first.

I've looked around but I cant find any video that features all the skells you can get in the game. Even when I type dolls for Japanese results. Any help would be appreciated.

Was anyone able to find something regarding this? I'm quite surprised at how little I can find. It released in japan like 7 months ago.

MomoQca

One thing they could add is letting you contact your party members with your comm device. Would alleviate some of the pain of having to run around to get your party together.

One other thing I think they should improve on for the next Xeno title is improved facial animations.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) had some pretty emotive facial animations which added a lot to the cutscenes. I'm not sure what happened in X but they are pretty limited. I hope they can improve that for next time.

Takahashi said they couldn't accomplish everything they wanted to due to this game being their first HD game, so they likely ran out of time/budget to produce cutscenes. And we know that cutscenes are very expensive and time-consuming to produce. Takahashi did mention that he'd like to create a more story-driven Xenoblade game if given the opportunity to do so.

Are you sure you didnt disable standby mode?

Yep. I checked after it fucked up the first time and it's on.

That really sucks dude, I'd be pissed off too. I don't know if you came here for empathy or advice, but I'll give you both.

My only helpful suggestion is to spend $10 and hardwire your WiiU. That may help.

Thanks, hardwiring is not a very good option unfortunately and I use the internet on it so rarely that I'd rather just deal with the annoyance now for a brief hour or two.

So it's the Wii U's fault you had shitty internet? Just pick the game/DLC to download and get on with your day guys. It downloads in the background. I feel like the only reason all these crazy things happen with downloading games is because you guys keep trying to over complicate the process

Yeah, you obviously didn't read what I wrote so fuck outta here with this bullshit.

Okay, look here are a few points you need to know to get off the ground for the first few chapters:

1. You NEED to talk to that lady in front of the Blade Mission board to upgrade your "Field Skills" (Field Skills are used during those QTEs where you have to mash A to open a "treasure" and plant probes in the ground). UPGRADE MECHANICAL. You need to have Mechanical to plant probes. I think you need to get it up to Lv.3 and you'll probably be able to get every probe you run across for the first ~20 hours of the game.

2. You NEED to plant probes to get that exploration % up. A lot of the missions on the Hex grid, you really can't access yet - especially killing tyrants. You won't be killing a lot of Tyrants in the beginning of the game. You could spend hours searching for treasures specifically - but don't. You'll run across those organically, while exploring.

3. You ARE supposed to go into high level enemy areas, GET OVER IT. This game does NOT have a typical progression of:

"Area 1 enemies are scaled to your level, Area 2 is scaled slightly above, Area 3 is scaled very high"

This game is more like: " Area 1 enemies are easy, Area 2 are hard, Area 3 are medium, Area 4 is hard, Area 5 is easy, Area 6 is SUPER FUCKING HIGH LEVEL, Area 7 is easy, Area 8 is hard, Area 9 is medium, etc."

You get it? High and low level enemies are spread all about (the first continent and the two adjacent ones). Most of the higher level enemies you can brush by them and won't attack you... some of them however will one-shot you. It's going to happen, you're going to get OHKO sometimes, GET OVER THAT. Go around them a different way next time.

Most posters in this thread are getting frustrated by #3. They want the game to go in a progression of, I'll 100% the first location, then move to the next. That's NOT how this game works.

Honestly, if you're 8 hours and not at 15%, you're not planting enough probes. Find out where they are on the map, and try to get them. Some of them you can't get to yet - GET OVER IT. If you can't find a probe location that supposed to be in that Hex, MOVE ON. Keep exploring. It's honestly really easy to get 15% by planting probes on the first contient, you just have to do a few.
Finally an informative post. Thank you.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Thanks, hardwiring is not a very good option unfortunately and I use the internet on it so rarely that I'd rather just deal with the annoyance now for a brief hour or two.

Yeah, I don't know why your ISP doesn't like your WiiU. I would rate my eShop experience on WiiU a 10/10. I love the background downloading and installing, never had a problem on any end.

That sucks - don't know what to tell you. Was your WiiU refurbished? Mine was.

Just sounds you got a bum console. I don't read many experiences like yours here.

Yeah, you obviously didn't read what I wrote so fuck outta here with this bullshit.

I read what you said about the data corrupting and having to go back into the eShop and whatnot. I don't know if there's certain settings you have to enable to keep the Wii U background downloading, or to not turn off the wifi during inactivity, but I'd chalk it to either a defect in your console or spotty internet (or settings messing with the Wii U's connection). I've never even see data corruption in a download and I don't have amazing internet

Rich!

Alright so I got this game last tuesday. Been playing a good amount, got up to the "dat ass" scene. I'm guessing you guys can work out whereabouts that is - it's in the second region.

Firstly:

- Xenoblade is one of my favourite games of all time. I bought it UK launch day in 2011, played through it twice on the Wii, three times on Dolphin and once on the N3DS.
- I have seen absolutely nothing of Xenoblade X other than the reveal trailer and the last two E3 trailers.​

So, I didn't really know what to expect. Here are my thoughts so far:

- this game is FUCKING MASSIVE. What the fuck. It's absolutely insane - and I have JC3 to compare it to!
- Aside from the character models, the game looks stunning.
- The music is great, aside from the rapping.
- VA isn't as bad as I thought it would be
- Playing as not-shulk but with shulk's VA is oddly distracting
- I'm as experienced a Xenoblade player as you'd ever find - and most of the UI on X confused the shit out of me to begin with. I've worked it all out now though...I think.
- Where have the kickass chain attacks gone?? :(
- no gem crafting? gah​

I have to say though, so far, this hasn't gripped me like Xenoblade did. Xenoblade was entirely story and character driven - from the very first scene with Metal Face it was a driving force of revenge and a relentless push to get to the top of Bionis. There was a clear goal. But with Xenoblade X I haven't come across that, nor expect to. Playing as literally a complete non-character doesnt help either - there's literally no comparison to Shulk. At all. For obvious reasons.

I'll keep playing of course and see what my thoughts are in another ten hours or so

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finally an informative post. Thank you.

You're welcome. I am NOT a fan of open world games. The last one I played was Assassin's Creed 2- and it was not like this one.

There's an early story mission that sends you to one of the other continents, and I remember thinking "WTF I just started the game! I'm going to get killed over there!" You know what, I didn't. I even killed a few monsters on my way there.

XCX tries to teach you early on that you need to keep exploring - even when you run into road blocks. Find another way around it, and keep going. You are not going to hit every Probe and landmark the first time you come across it, you're going to have to come back later.

This game is awesome for these reasons. It's literally open world. There's not a "ALL THE HARD MONSTERS ARE OVER HERE, SO YOU STAY OVER HERE." aspect to it. I think that's pretty cool.

Hrm. I did get it refurbished. There might be some weird underlying issue with the network card. I mean, it's doing fine right now but that's because I turned off the auto power down function and it's just puttering along as usual. I might just have bad luck with internet stuff and this console, since I don't use it enough to get a large sample of how it treats stuff.

I still think the menu and system of how to re-download stuff as well as being unable to see individual pieces of a games DLC is kinda wonky though. Oh well, not a big deal at the end of the day, just frustrated me enormously at the start of it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have to say though, so far, this hasn't gripped me like Xenoblade did. Xenoblade was entirely story and character driven - from the very first scene with Metal Face it was a driving force of revenge and a relentless push to get to the top of Bionis. There was a clear goal. But with Xenoblade X I haven't come across that, nor expect to. Playing as literally a complete non-character doesnt help either - there's literally no comparison to Shulk. At all. For obvious reasons.

I'll keep playing of course and see what my thoughts are in another ten hours or so

Yeah, XC hits you HARD in the first like... 30 minutes! You know exactly what's up and what you need to be doing.

This game is a slower burn, but the story is good and so are the characters. I was a huge fan of XC like you, and I'm loving the story of XCX.

Just keep playing! It gets goooood.

Rich!

My External Hdd Just Died 103 hours gone :(

uh oh

I'm worrying here now...I may have to move the save to my internal storage. is that possible on the Wii U?

Also - does anyone have the image of the Xenoblade X map comparison with Fallout 4's size? I've seen it posted here on GAF before

DigiDom

uh oh

I'm worrying here now...I may have to move the save to my internal storage. is that possible on the Wii U?

Also - does anyone have the image of the Xenoblade X map comparison with Fallout 4's size? I've seen it posted here on GAF before

That would have been my ideal set up as well but the Wii u does not allow you to separate game and save data

NeonZ

I KNOW. It's freaking annoying to run around and find party members. They don't even show up as a different colored dot on your mini-map, right? You literally have to look for their name, and then it appears some of them are not there 24/7, only during certain times of the day, right?

They only leave their position if there's a Heart to Heart unlocked somewhere at the time. Then they disappear from their default position and appear there for the Heart to Heart.

aravuus

My External Hdd Just Died 103 hours gone :(

Damn

That's rough!

uh oh

Sort of. You have to copy everything that relates to the game into the internal storage - updates, the whole installed game if you've downloaded it from the eshop etc - then delete everything but the save from the internal storage.

Which is why I can't get a copy of my save from the SSD even if I wanted to, I've only got 8 gigabytes of internal storage. It's fucking absurd.

Trago

Finally got my copy. Been playing for several hours. Massive fucking game. So much to do. Feels like I'm hardly scratching the surface. Now back to playing....

DigiDom

I guess so. I'm just really pissed off. I usually back up my stuff once a month but i didn't get a chance this time. I'm downloading it again now but don't think i have it i me to look at the game again. I'll see how i feel in the morning

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, well Nintendo Cloud Saves are coming in 2016, right?

Although, I don't understand why - they don't allow you to have multiple digital copies on different devices. UNLESS.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom