• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade coming to the U.S. via Gamestop Exclusive (also avail on Nintendo.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgkspsx

I hope it's not a GS exclusive.

Is there a complete list of retail exclusive full games from this generation?

Chibi Robo: Park Patrol was a Walmart exclusive. That's the only first party Nintendo game I'm aware of, though Nintendo World Store had it too.

Soul Bubbles was a TRU exclusive, though eventually it had a wider release, I think.

Hiltz

I really hope it gets the sales it deserves... clocked 120 hours yesterday and I still a lot to do!

Good luck with that!
Also I barely noticed that and people said they lip sync with the Japanese audio, if it bothers you that much...

It was noticeable but didn't bother me that much. I'm just saying it would just be nice for Nintendo to fix the few minor complaints about the game. Perhaps NOA will take out the Japanese audio for no apparent reason. I don't recall many first and second-party games that NOA has released that include alternative Japanese audio. Maybe something like Fire Emblem but I'm not familiar with that franchise.

Foffy

Banned
It was noticeable but didn't bother me that much. I'm just saying it would just be nice for Nintendo to fix the few minor complaints about the game. Perhaps NOA will take out the Japanese audio for no apparent reason. I don't recall many first and second-party games that NOA has released that include alternative Japanese audio.

I thought Xenoblade Chronicles was noted for being one of the few major titles Nintendo has ever released with a dual-audio option.

Foffy

Banned
Alright, thanks guys. I usually really enjoy JRPGs but it's been a long time since I played a good one. Good to hear that you can play the game with the classic controller too. I'm probably going to get this when it comes out then.

It's been advertised with the Classic Controller being used, so that's the ideal way to play.

ronito

Yeah I think this will be a disaster.

RPGs are a small market to begin with and anyone who REALLY wanted to play Xenoblade will have played it by then and not all of them are just going to go out and rebuy it. Yeah there will be people buying it that never had played it before but they'll be selling into an already depressed market.

Then they'll be like "See? jRPGs just don't sell in america!"

Holy shit didnt see that one coming. It's Reyn time in the USA! Already got my import, but gs is pretty awesome for doing this. Hope everyone who missed out gets a chance to play this masterpiece.

Sayah

I'm wondering. If this game releases in the U.S. under the name of Monado, would it get a separate metacritic rating or would all the reviews still compile under the original Europe/Japan title of Xenoblade?

Orayn

Wii mod is one of the easiest I've ever done and you can easily get Blade for pretty damn close to the price it will retail for in the states. Hardly 1%.

But not nearly as huge as the "Everyone who wanted it already imported!" crowd would like to believe.

RPGs are a small market to begin with and anyone who REALLY wanted to play Xenoblade will have played it by then and not all of them are just going to go out and rebuy it. Yeah there will be people buying it that never had played it before but they'll be selling into an already depressed market.

That's crazy talk. Do your part and go pre-order 5 copies at GameStop.

Chris R

Good news for lazy people like me who didn't import! Now I don't have to try to import or search the B/S/T thread looking for a copy. And by next year April I shouldn't have too much on my plate, making a perfect spot for it! I should also have a new beast of a PC. Isn't the game very Dolphin friendly?

KingK

No motion controls, and it's so good because it's simultaneously a grand-scale jRPG in a generation that's seen precious few AND it's brimming with new ideas and a willingness to reject some of the creakiest of the jRPG conventions. It's like the last great PS2-era jRPG got lost in time.

That's just what I wanted to hear. Sounds awesome. This gen has been a massive disappointment for console JRPGs.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm wondering. If this game releases in the U.S. under the name of Monado, would it get a separate metacritic rating or would all the reviews still compile under the original Europe/Japan title of Xenoblade?
The screenshot of GameStop's release list in the first page shows Xenoblade Chronicles.

I think NoA already realizes this. It's merely a way to save face and by doing the Gamestop exclusive they put it in the awareness of the few hardcore gamers who did not yet import (like me). Better late than never I say!

1. The bolded is a huge assumption and I think vastly overestimates the people who are willing to go the trouble of modding the Wii and importing the game who would be interested.

2. Based on this strategy, it's pretty clear Nintendo expects this to be niche, so there not going to expect any kind of serious sales numbers, hence it's unlikely to be a "disaster."

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Obviously, the PAL Version includes the dual -audio option, but did the Japanese version have it too ?

Nope, and it was on a single layer DVD. This would be NoA's only reason for removing the Japanese audio for the NA release actually, if they could fit it on a single layer again and reduce the cost.

1. The bolded is a huge assumption and I think vastly overestimates the people who are willing to go the trouble of modding the Wii and importing the game who would be interested.

2. Based on this strategy, it's pretty clear Nintendo expects this to be niche, so there not going to expect any kind of serious sales numbers, hence it's unlikely to be a "disaster."

It would probably take me more time to drive to GameStop, wait in line, get sales-pitched, and drive home then I spent modding my Wii and importing Blade.

TheNatural

My Member!
I was just saying this the other day about this with someone who was telling me there was zero chance this would come out in the US. Gamecube had a war pinball game, a weird plug looking chibi game, and a card battle RPG come out in 2006 by Nintendo.

They were just milking this stuff to get to the finish line.

Went to GameStop this morning on my way to work and reserved this. I can't wait!

I still want The Last Story, Nintendo...

First I find out Xenoblade is coming to the US, and then I notice Kotaku and Destructoid actually crediting their sources. It must be opposite day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom