• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck that. I bought a Wii yesterday just for this game, and Last Story later on.

Get your shit together!
Don't buy Last Story, it's really a terrible, TERRIBLE game :_: Trust me on this one!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
but, da gooch, DA GOOCH.

Did you not like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?
I loved Blue Dragon for its graphics (still top 3 this gen imo) and music but the fact that you could examine everything made me crazy. "Nothing-man" made me want to blow my brains out...

I hated Lost Odyssey, but I think that was mostly because I had just finished Blue Dragon and I was burnt out on JRPGs... and LO was just incredibly slow paced and I didn't feel for any of the characters :(

Last Story was just dull, boring and ugly as fuck. It did nothing for me.

Again, sorry for the OT!

zlatko

Banned
I loved Blue Dragon for its graphics (still top 3 this gen imo) and music but the fact that you could examine everything made me crazy. "Nothing-man" made me want to blow my brains out...

I hated Lost Odyssey, but I think that was mostly because I had just finished Blue Dragon and I was burnt out on JRPGs... and LO was just incredibly slow paced and I didn't feel for any of the characters :(

Last Story was just dull, boring and ugly as fuck. It did nothing for me.

Again, sorry for the OT!

You're the OT king, but since I liked BD and LOVED Lost Odyssey, still gonna have to play Last Story, because maybe Gooch just has that secret zlatko sauce mix that makes a good game for me.

If it ends up being dildos though I'll never doubt you again.

Yoshichan

:3 Go for it Zlatko, but don't tell me I didn't warn you! You better hook me up with that PM and tell me if you're enjoying the game once you decide to try it out!

wrowa

Last Story is okay. It has some really nice ideas, but the ideas are rather poorly executed most of the time. It's fun to play, though.

... But I've got to admit that I don't feel like I want to replay the game ever. It's one of these games that are fun to play, but after finishing take a total nosedive in your mind.

2San

You're the OT king, but since I liked BD and LOVED Lost Odyssey, still gonna have to play Last Story, because maybe Gooch just has that secret zlatko sauce mix that makes a good game for me.

If it ends up being dildos though I'll never doubt you again.
I thought the game was decent. It's an average game, but it has a lot of charm. The battle system is really interesting as well, it's just that the game was too easy so you aren't forced to learn the correct way of playing.

zlatko

Banned
:3 Go for it Zlatko, but don't tell me I didn't warn you! You better hook me up with that PM and tell me if you're enjoying the game once you decide to try it out!

Yeah gotta wait till the USA release in June. So the wait for that PM is on going.

Back to Xblade though, you need to pick this up suckah! You and I both know your "time" excuse is popicock, since you played Dark Souls like a crackfiend who just found meth for the first time. Surely you can digest Xblade without issues.

Yoshichan

Back to Xblade though, you need to pick this up suckah! You and I both know your "time" excuse is popicock, since you played Dark Souls like a crackfiend who just found meth for the first time. Surely you can digest Xblade without issues.
I hate you for making me laugh so much that my heart is aching :lol All right man I'll buy and play Xenoblade before D3, I promise!

zlatko

Banned
I hate you for making me laugh so much that my heart is aching :lol All right man I'll buy and play Xenoblade before D3, I promise!

That's my plan too. I gotta hustle through it, and MAYBE squeeze in Skyward Sword as well. Then I have to juggle D3 and Ghost Recon Future Soldier, even though I know I'll probably just play like 99% D3 and 1% Ghost Recon.

I only get like 2 hours a week night to play Xblade too, but a bit more on the weekend. I'll be cutting it close.

Yoshichan

That's my plan too. I gotta hustle through it, and MAYBE squeeze in Skyward Sword as well. Then I have to juggle D3 and Ghost Recon Future Soldier, even though I know I'll probably just play like 99% D3 and 1% Ghost Recon.

I only get like 2 hours a week night to play Xblade too, but a bit more on the weekend. I'll be cutting it close.
Skyward Sword should really be your #1 priority though, that game is fucking fantastic!

D3 > SS > XB > everything else!

zlatko

Banned
Skyward Sword should really be your #1 priority though, that game is fucking fantastic!

It should be, but I haven't bought it yet and I'm broke as a joke. To afford the Wii I had to trade in 2 old games, take all my pre order money off of D3. Total came out to 100 bucks with Xblade.

I was supposed to take a trip to visit friends a few states away end of this month, but that's officially on the back burner too, so Xblade better be worth it. :p

The rest of this month,a nd next month are going to be brutal for me. Starting today my diet is literally going to be ramen noodles and water so I can save up all the money for the trip, D3, Skysword, and Ghost Recon.

Fuck being young and underpaid in a country that won't give me a job I'd be more than qualified for simply because I don't meet some made up bull shit age quota.

Must...Stop....Doing....Side Quests

Lol...I am nearly 10 hours in and haven't even made it all the way through Tephra Caves yet and there are still side quests to be completed. CRAZY!!

Funny Moment
After the Mechon attack Shulk and Reyn have a big speech about vengeance and destroying all Mechon and say let's go! I was NOPE! We are going right back to town to sell, trade, use the Gem furnace for the first time, and complete more side quests. Don't tell me what to do.

Awesome game!

Yoshichan

Zlatko, I feel for you my Ono-troll friend :(

PM!

ultron87

Finished Colony 6.

Shulk,
the Monado isn't going to work against the ones with the faces no matter how many times you try. But it is okay, Dunban is a baller.

2San

Must...Stop....Doing....Side Quests

Lol...I am nearly 10 hours in and haven't even made it all the way through Tephra Caves yet and there are still side quests to be completed. CRAZY!!
Be sure to check if you can handle doing all the side quests, or else you might get burned out fast. There's a lot of side quests with some being more tedious than the other.

Yoshichan

So it's not worth doing all of the side-quests? You might get burnt out?

It might burn you out if you do sidequests in large groups, yes. But if you think of sidequests as a way to aid in exploration or as a break from the story, they aren't too tedious.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Less than a third of the side quest are time limited (ie; can't do beyond a specific story event), so really you can take your time with them and space them out as much as you want. Do some story progression for a couple of hours, do some side quest for a couple of hours.

Side quest are definitely helpful though. You gain a lot of experience and a lot of great equipment/gems you might not have available otherwise at that point.

Yoshichan

All right, thanks! Is the guide book really worth buying or are the quest-directions good enough?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

cametall

I've been doing probably around 60% of the side quests in each area. A lot of them I have done with just a little exploration and even on my way to do story quests. Granted I just got Dunban so I've probably experienced 2% of the total game so far.

Doing a chunk of the sidequests has kept me above most enemies and on par with bosses. Besides the very beginning I have yet to really face a difficult boss (again, just got Dunban so I'm not far at all).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've been doing probably around 60% of the side quests in each area. A lot of them I have done with just a little exploration and even on my way to do story quests. Granted I just got Dunban so I've probably experienced 2% of the total game so far.

Doing a chunk of the sidequests has kept me above most enemies and on par with bosses. Besides the very beginning I have yet to really face a difficult boss (again, just got Dunban so I'm not far at all).

If you do a good number of side quest, you won't have much trouble with most story missions. There are some bosses later that require slightly different tactics
ie; need to be beat with ether based attacks
, and those are usually the ones people complain about.

Yoshichan

Thanks a bunch guys!

2San

Let's just say there are a lot of side-quests. I think the average player will not enjoy doing all the side-quests directly as they open up. It will also leave you over-leveled from what I've played.

Side quests do offer an interesting dynamic as shown with the affinity system, it encourages exploration, it's also good way to gain levels and gear.

Just saying it might be wise to keep your OCD in check especially the first time around. If you don't feel like side-questing and exploring, just follow the main quest. Keep a healthy mix of doing some side quests and following the main story line.

massoluk

Banned
My advice is that if your side quests are asking for some random ground spawns, just skip it for your second play-through. Most of these stupid fetch-quests are ultra rare spawns and make you hate the game. The rewards aren't really worth that much and you don't really get any special ending doing it.

Yoshichan

Just saying it might be wise to keep your OCD in check especially the first time around. If you don't feel like side-questing and exploring, just follow the main quest.
Yeah my OCD almost killed Blue Dragon for me, so it's probably going to be even worse in Xenoblade! So you're basically saying that if I just follow the main quest, it won't completely ruin the experience for me (ala FFXIII-2)?

ag-my001

When you get to a quest hub, I'd suggest picking up as many quests as you can. A lot of them will be for things that you'll stumble across in your normal A -> B travels. When you come to the end of the story part for your area, figure out which quests are close to completion and finish them up. For those that require you to pick up 6 of an item that you barely found 1 for the Collectopedia, those are the ones you drop or come back later for. A lot of the time, you can come back later when your area affinity is higher and simply trade for those items as needed. The GoogleDocs spreadsheet is a good source, and once you find yourself past the major developments in the game, is fairly spoiler free, at least for that NPC tab.

Edit: A great way to speed up kill-quests is to realize that spawns reset when you fast-travel. If there are one or two enemy spawns near a landmark, take them out, port, kill again, port, rinse and repeat until you kill the set amount or loot the chests you need.

Yoshichan

Can you somehow mute some of the characters in-battle? Three people in this party currently and everyone has to talk about everything when they're fighting, it's making me crazy!

2San

Yeah my OCD almost killed Blue Dragon for me, so it's probably going to be even worse in Xenoblade! So you're basically saying that if I just follow the main quest, it won't completely ruin the experience for me (ala FFXIII-2)?
I haven't played FFXIII-2(or BD), but the side quests don't affect the main story line afaik(haven't completed it myself). My OCD killed my first playthrough. :p Playing it now and I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more with the increased pace.

Yoshichan

I haven't played FFXIII-2(or BD), but the side quests don't affect the main story line afaik(haven't completed it myself). My OCD killed my first playthrough. :p Playing it now and I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more with the increased pace.
Okay thanks! I'll try balancing it out!

LPC

Banned

What??? SS is certainly not as good as Xenoblade! Game is good but short, not as polished as XBlade, and just feels like the same old Zelda. Xenoblade is simply amazing is almost everything.

About The Last Story, really loved it too, but less than XB. Some good ideas here and there, but it lacks of polish. Battle system is kind of good.

XB > SS > TLS

Yoshichan

Haha, I wasn't really saying that SS is better than XB... I was pointing out (what I think) should be prioritized first. So he should play D3 first because it's an online game, then SS because it's not a long JRPG and last of all XB because it requires you to spend a lot of hours in it :3

anaron

Can you somehow mute some of the characters in-battle? Three people in this party currently and everyone has to talk about everything when they're fighting, it's making me crazy!

Unfortunately no. However, what they say is incredibly helpful at times and keeps the player aware of any status changes without having to focus in on the cluttered UI.

The battle commands bothered me in the beginning but I grew totally used to them eventually. Maybe you will as well.

ZenaxPure

Okay Xenoblade, you have my attention. I just finished Pri
son Island and I am finally down with the story. Up until now I've honestly been pretty bored with the plot but I was still going because the combat/open world stuff since this is exactly my favorite kind of game. But I felt like the story wasn't really going anywhere outside of this simple revenge plot and the Colony 6 Juju rescue stuff dragged on for too long. But holy crap the game has won me over now.

It's obvious from the visions that a person was going to be inside the mech at prison island but I honestly was not expecting Fiora and now I am kicking myself in the side for not realizing sooner that Metal Face was Dunban's old claw friend from the tutorial. Now with that out in the open and Alvis having mysterious conversations with all sorts of people I am very intrigued to see where things go from here. At this point I will probably just blaze through the rest of the story if it continues with all the intrigue.

I also dig the weird love triangle stuff coming up with Shulk, Melina, and Fiora, that could go in so many weird directions.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay Xenoblade, you have my attention.
I also dig the weird love triangle stuff coming up with Shulk, Melina, and Fiora, that could go in so many weird directions.

Sadly, it really doesn't. I'm not at the end yet, but after that scene there really wasn't anymore development. Unless there are some scenes in Heart to Hearts, and I've barely seen ANY of those, they don't go anywhere with that.

But yeah the story got pretty cool up at that point. I was like you, I figured out
the metal claw guy in the tutorial was the Metal Face dude, but I didn't figure out the other one
and I was like "man I should've realized that! duh!" lol cool story, it definitely picks up from where you are and gets a bit more exciting.

You're crazy. The stupid shit that these guys say in the middle of the battle is one of the highlights of this game. Just start saying what they say in your every day conversation. I promise, it'll make your day better.

LES NOT LOSE OUR HEADS DOUGH!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Okay Xenoblade, you have my attention. I just finished Pri
son Island and I am finally down with the story. Up until now I've honestly been pretty bored with the plot but I was still going because the combat/open world stuff since this is exactly my favorite kind of game. But I felt like the story wasn't really going anywhere outside of this simple revenge plot and the Colony 6 Juju rescue stuff dragged on for too long. But holy crap the game has won me over now.

It's obvious from the visions that a person was going to be inside the mech at prison island but I honestly was not expecting Fiora and now I am kicking myself in the side for not realizing sooner that Metal Face was Dunban's old claw friend from the tutorial. Now with that out in the open and Alvis having mysterious conversations with all sorts of people I am very intrigued to see where things go from here. At this point I will probably just blaze through the rest of the story if it continues with all the intrigue.

Damn you, hand, for highlighting that!!!

Lol. I'm fighting the
talking Mechon guy after the sewers in colony 6
. How far am I from all the stuff you're talking about? As it definitely has me interested! I agree, story has been pretty boring so far - but what you're saying sounds like it could really pull me in.

zlatko

Banned
Is there a penalty to death? I got careless and died here outside of colony 9. Not sure if I should reload save or if I can just say oh wells.

Alchemy

I think I'm going to start ignoring sidequests unless I need money. There are too many of them.

The sidequests are pretty weak and are mainly there to wrap up grinding into a more enjoyable context, just like how they're used in MMOs. You give people goals for grinding and reward them when some progress is made to help speed up things so it doesn't feel like you're just killing monsters over and over, even though you are.

It works to an extent, but is definitely a weaker part of the game. Especially with how bad the UI is for tracking all the sidequests you're on, their goals, and progress of ones you're not actively doing. I really hope we don't see much more of this type of content in future JRPGs.

ZenaxPure

Damn you, hand, for highlighting that!!!

Lol. I'm fighting the
talking Mechon guy after the sewers in colony 6
. How far am I from all the stuff you're talking about? As it definitely has me interested! I agree, story has been pretty boring so far - but what you're saying sounds like it could really pull me in.

It's hard to say, to get to this point from where you are it took me about another 15ish hours and that is with me mostly avoiding all side content except for challenge quests and the time sensitive quests from named NPCs at the
refugee camp
. You have a pretty long road ahead of you before you get to this point in the story sadly, but keep at it because it's worth it imo. I am really digging the plot/characters now.

Ridley327

Is there a penalty to death? I got careless and died here outside of colony 9. Not sure if I should reload save or if I can just say oh wells.

It boots you back to the last landmark you visited (different from the last area you visited, which don't get marked on the map) and all the monsters get reset.

When do characters stop learning new Battle Arts? I've been holding off on leveling up anything because I'm worried that I might end up getting a new art that is just a better version of one I upgraded.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
A few questions:

Is there any way to set my equipment to default to something other than "Most Recent" because it sucks having to manually do it every time I get new gear.

I came across a sidequest where I was supposed to kill a named creature...Problem is I already killed it before the quest became available. Now the creature isn't up and I don't know if there's any way to spawn it. Am I screwed?

Is there any way to remove that "Story Memo" icon in the middle of the screen? It's really annyoing.

zlatko

Banned
My only complaint right now is this game is pretty shitty on conning enemy strength.

I beat a level 4 enemy no problem solo, then died to a level 2 bunny later at full health and barely dented it. Da fuck? Not a named mob either. :/

McNum

Okay Xenoblade, you have my attention.
Ah, yes. THAT moment. That is pretty much where it starts go get real. Note, I said "starts". You'll notice a pattern soon: The game heavily hints at what comes next, and just as it's about to, you get sideswiped with a bigger twist.

But I'm not going to spoil any of that, only tell you this: There are moments just as good, or better, to come.

Top Bottom