• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I havent even seen this option to give gifts yet..

It's in the item menu, last tab to the right. You know all those little blue orbs you're collecting? That's the stuff you can give to other characters. So, if you have not been selling them, that's A LOT of stuff to give. :lol

Open up your Collectibles tab in the Inventory, select an item, and it gives the "Present" option. Then select the giver and the recipient.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I found some lvl 114 monsters after a certain event happen in the game.

Do they really expect us to go up to lvl 114 before killing them or is it just meant to be there to annoy people?

That's not even the highest level enemy!

But yes, you can kill them. In fact you can honestly do it pretty easily.

I am a completionist too, but Diablo 3 is 2 weeks away.

Oh, shit fucking penises that aren't even lubed.

So D3 is two weeks out, I've got this, I lost many of my 360 saves recently thanks to a USB drive that couldn't take the heat, and a baby due in September. I give up. Xenoblade, I'll work you over.

Love the one you're with, and all that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any general tips on spawning unique monsters?
Elder Gragus on Makna Forest refuses to spawn.

Just keep loading that save. Had one I needed for a quest I'd killed hoouuuurs ago and that guy just wouldn't respawn for anything. Ended up going and doing other stuff, went back, still couldn't get him to respawn. Did more stuff again, came back, and after like 12 more tries he finally showed up.

So I guess sometimes you can just have runs of bad luck. Other times they respawn after you load the file the first time, which sucks if you save nearby after you kill them!

zlatko

Banned
Oh, shit fucking penises that aren't even lubed.

So D3 is two weeks out, I've got this, I lost many of my 360 saves recently thanks to a USB drive that couldn't take the heat, and a baby due in September. I give up. Xenoblade, I'll work you over.

Love the one you're with, and all that.

Yeah I'm getting 1-2 hours a night for gaming at best these days. Hopefully 2 weeks at that rate can get it done.

Yeah I'm getting 1-2 hours a night for gaming at best these days. Hopefully 2 weeks at that rate can get it done.

Yeah...Imma have to stop trying to level hard too. It's just...it's so much fun. Or I could just put the spare Wii in the bedroom and play there for many more hours.

Wait no, working out in the mornings. Fucking time.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah...Imma have to stop trying to level hard too. It's just...it's so much fun. Or I could just put the spare Wii in the bedroom and play there for many more hours.

Wait no, working out in the mornings. Fucking time.

The worst part is, as fun and as addictive as this game is, I can only imagine wtf D3 will do to us.

Bisnic

How far are you? Because even 30 hours doesnt seem like enough to finish it even if you rush it, because you could eventually hit a point where monsters and bosses are too hard to kill because you skipped too much quests or monsters.

zlatko

Banned
How far are you? Because even 30 hours doesnt seem like enough to finish it even if you rush it, because you could eventually hit a point where monsters and bosses are too hard to kill because you skipped too much quests or monsters.

How far I am is posted above. Just reached Nopon village in Makna forest.

Petrie

Banned
It's in the item menu, last tab to the right. You know all those little blue orbs you're collecting? That's the stuff you can give to other characters. So, if you have not been selling them, that's A LOT of stuff to give. :lol
is there a strategy to the gifts?

Bisnic

Huh uh. Then in about 30 hours, you'll probably be at 60% or something.

Even then i'm not so sure since i wasted a lot of time exploring shit and doing quests. What i'm sure is that 30 hours wont be enough.

Petrie said:
is there a strategy to the gifts?

Look for a "xenoblade google spreadsheet" on google, and you will have a list of what items gives +3/+2/+1/-1 hearts. There is some obvious stuff like "Shulk loves parts and "Reyn hates flowers", but the list is still necessary i think.

Characters and zones spoilers are in there though.

Petrie

Banned
Look for a "xenoblade google spreadsheet" on google, and you will have a list of what items gives +3/+2/+1/-1 hearts. There is some obvious stuff like "Shulk loves parts and "Reyn hates flowers", but the list is still necessary i think.

Characters and zones spoilers are in there though.
I'd rather not risk spoilers. Appreciate it though!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Assuming 2 hours a night for 2 weeks, that's 24 hours. Finishing in that time even if you rush it doesn't seem likely. If you skip cutscenes and stuff, maybe, but if you're sacrificing all the optional stuff, fighting as few battles as possible, and skipping cutscenes... you're not really even enjoying the game, you're just beating it for the sake of beating it.

And I don't think gifts are really worth the effort. You're better off abusing the encourage system in battle against unique monsters with certain spike effects than grinding for collectables. Abusing the sleep spike unique for example got me full affinity for the whole party within an hour.

Bisnic

I'd rather not risk spoilers. Appreciate it though!

Once you get the 7th character, you could check it. Zones names aren't as important anyway, and there is no omgwtfisthat names like "Mechonis Genitals" or "Mechonis and Bionis Kid's Arm".

Yeah, i totally made that up.

zlatko

Banned
Assuming 2 hours a night for 2 weeks, that's 24 hours. Finishing in that time even if you rush it doesn't seem likely. If you skip cutscenes and stuff, maybe, but if you're sacrificing all the optional stuff, fighting as few battles as possible, and skipping cutscenes... you're not really even enjoying the game, you're just beating it for the sake of beating it.

And I don't think gifts are really worth the effort. You're better off abusing the encourage system in battle against unique monsters with certain spike effects than grinding for collectables. Abusing the sleep spike unique for example got me full affinity for the whole party within an hour.

I've been skipping most NPC chatter for side quests anyway. They just aren't that interested. The only NPC chatter I caught that was interesting so far was,
The girl in Colony 9 whose name starts with a D I think it is, is the daughter of that metal face mechon with the hammer you fought at Colony 6 in the mines.
Wasn't a huge thing to learn that either since I had already figured that the
metal face clawn mechon was that dude from the start of the game who ran from Dunban and Dick.

A lot of the game up to now is pretty predicitble story wise, and I have a good feel for what I think will happen.
I think whats her tits who died is gonna be the Mechon I saw being built in a cut scene just a bit ago. I feel also at some point you'll use the Monado to travel back in time to save her from dying.
No one needs to confirm or deny this assumptions either please. I don't want to be spoiled, but this is just where I feel the game is headed.

I'll have to get in 4+ on the weekend days. I'll see what I can come up with. I want to complete this and enjoy its story as I find it to be its best part.

fallingdove

I finished the game last night.

Lvl - 79, Around 60 hours

Overall, I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I thought that the story built up nicely and ended well. With the exception of Valkaria Chronicles, I haven't enjoyed an RPG this much since the PS2 era.

That said, while I thought the companion AI in battle was decent early on, it completely collapses late it the game. While it is likely due to more complex levels and larger, uniquely shaped enemies, companion AI is absolutely pathetic for the last 10 hours of the game.

I can't tell you how much I LOVE watching my team run against the enemy's leg instead of coming to my aid or witnessing them fight while standing in an either pool. While in Bionis Interior, there were multiple battles where my team ran off ledges while trying to help me out when there was a clear path of shorter distance between the enemy and I.

Petrie

Banned
Once you get the 7th character, you could check it. Zones names aren't as important anyway, and there is no omgwtfisthat names like "Mechonis Genitals" or "Mechonis and Bionis Kid's Arm".

Yeah, i totally made that up.

Alright. Will avoid till I have all 7. Since my party is currently a party of 2, it'll be a bit I imagine!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I finished the game last night.

Lvl - 79, Around 60 hours

Overall, I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I thought that the story built up nicely and ended well. With the exception of Valkaria Chronicles, I haven't enjoyed an RPG this much since the PS2 era.

That said, while I thought the companion AI in battle was decent early on, it completely collapses late it the game. While it is likely due to more complex levels and larger, uniquely shaped enemies, companion AI is absolutely pathetic for the last 10 hours of the game.

I can't tell you how much I LOVE watching my team run against the enemy's leg instead of coming to my aid or witnessing them fight while standing in an either pool. While in Bionis Interior, there were multiple battles where my team ran off ledges while trying to help me out when there was a clear path of shorter distance between the enemy and I.
People always complain about
party members standing in the ether pools. I don't get it. Just issue a party command to make them regroup by you. Problem solved.

Roto13

Stupid character AI is definitely my biggest complaint about this game. I inflict Break but Dunban almost never inflicts Topple.

Definitely could have benefited from FFXII-style Gambits.

ZenaxPure

People always complain about
party members standing in the ether pools. I don't get it. Just issue a party command to make them regroup by you. Problem solved.

They always run back into them because that is where the enemies like to go, half the time they die in them while you're spamming the button to have them come back. It's a hassle.

Stupid character AI is definitely my biggest complaint about this game. I inflict Break but Dunban almost never inflicts Topple.

Definitely could have benefited from FFXII-style Gambits.

Personally I'd rather have had full party control which is how I played FF12 (and Dragon Age:O for that matter) anyway. Pretty much the only gambits I ever set up were to attack the same target as myself and then I paused to dish out commands myself, you always get better control that way.

Specifically with Xenoblade though I don't think that is the exact answer to the problem. It would of been better if you could just have the AI do what they normally do but set aside a black list of abilities that they were not allowed to use without your command and then being able to activate those when you saw fit. It would of made stuff like healing and topple/daze a lot better than they were.

fallingdove

They always run back into them because that is where the enemies like to go, half the time they die in them while you're spamming the button to have them come back. It's a hassle.

Personally I'd rather have had full party control which is how I played FF12 (and Dragon Age:O for that matter) anyway. Pretty much the only gambits I ever set up were to attack the same target as myself and then I paused to dish out commands myself, you always get better control that way.

Specifically with Xenoblade though I don't think that is the exact answer to the problem. It would of been better if you could just have the AI do what they normally do but set aside a black list of abilities that they were not allowed to use without your command and then being able to activate those when you saw fit. It would of made stuff like healing and topple/daze a lot better than they were.

This. Even if they had built party management into the affinity skill system.

Strength - attack without player input
Aid - Heal + Cure without player input
Attack Support - Attack logic based on break/topple/daze characteristics
Buff/Debuff - buff/debuff assist based on battle conditions

They could have even been character specific.

Actually, it looks like Ether Drain can only be obtained from Synchronised Gaheris in
Central Factory
. But that's the only missable one, there are a few others that are only dropped by a single unique that will become unavailable, but some normal monsters will also drop them so it's not really any loss.

(I don't think Ether Drain is a very big loss either, but if you use it, more power to you to try and get it.)
According to that Japanese page a level 94 enemy (
I think the Bunnivs in Tephra Cave
) and a level 98 unique (
also in the cave
) drop it. But the level 68 unique you mentioned is the earliest...looks like a 0.9% drop rate though (and it can drop other books you might actually want instead). The other ones a smudge better at 2.3% and 2.4%...

In general it seems all advanced books can drop from 3 enemies.

Edit: That boss battle was tedious (level 36)
The Telethia...thought it was a good idea to remove Shulk's battle ability (to stop the AI from killing itself with it as it likes to use it too often)...it was Dunban sitting there dodging everything (drawing agro) while Freeze damage from Riki slowly got us there for long enough for the music track to finish :(.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
According to that Japanese page a level 94 enemy (
I think the Bunnivs in Tephra Cave
) and a level 98 unique (
also in the cave
) drop it. But the level 68 unique you mentioned is the earliest...looks like a 0.9% drop rate though (and it can drop other books you might actually want instead). The other ones a smudge better at 2.3% and 2.4%...

In general it seems all advanced books can drop from 3 enemies.

Funny that such a useless art would be hard to get the book for. It's like they're telling you not to use it. Less than 2.5% seems pretty crazy since I got all the books I needed relatively easily on my first playthrough. Must have had much higher percentages.

Anyway, anybody have any idea how the stacking works for buffs? Let's say for example I have a stat boost maxed out with gems. Then I have a skill that increases it at the beginning of battle. Then I have an aura that further increases it. Then I have a skill that activates yet another increase after a burst affinity.

Will the game accept all those increases, or does it top out somewhere?

Korosenai

35 and a half hours, level 44, and just beat Prison Island.

Holy shit!

Fiora and Mumkhar resurrected! Shit blew my mind!

Percentage wise, how far am I into the game?

I did skip some side quests because I was interested on where the story was going, but now i'm going to go back and spend a lot of time on side quests and gaining some affinity.

-GOUKI-

Holy shit!

Fiora and Mumkhar resurrected! Shit blew my mind!

I did skip some side quests because I was interested on where the story was going, but now i'm going to go back and spend a lot of time on side quests and gaining some affinity.

40%

ZenaxPure

Bahaha, almost feel like the thread title should be Xenoblade |OT| Prison Island is about halfway through the game!

But yeah, you're about halfway through.

I'm making my way to Prison Island now. Very excited.

35 hours in, and I haven't seen ONE Heart-to-Heart yet, except that mandatory first one. How do I see these things? I've been doing sidequests and getting those hearts to appear between my characters but I can still never see them.

Ridley327

35 hours in, and I haven't seen ONE Heart-to-Heart yet, except that mandatory first one. How do I see these things? I've been doing sidequests and getting those hearts to appear between my characters but I can still never see them.

The people involved have to be in your current party in order to be activated. They don't need to be the leader; just present.

ZenaxPure

They are all character specific and require specific affinity levels. If you have the appropriate characters when you click on a heart to heart it will tell you the 2 characters names and what affinity is required.

-GOUKI-

They are literally everywhere. Walk around a bit more. When i played the game i couldn't go a few minutes without seeing one especially the first half of the game.

Ridley327

Heart-to-hearts are always present on the map, even if you haven't explored that area. It actually kinda ruins the surprise of some areas being larger than they initially appear but aren't currently accessible.

Korosenai

Bahaha, almost feel like the thread title should be Xenoblade |OT| Prison Island is about halfway through the game!

But yeah, you're about halfway through.

Haha, I didn't realize it was asked, sorry about that guys.

I just try to avoid this thread as much as I can and pop in every now and then and ask some questions.

Well anyways, off to do some side quests now.

Oh no, I've "found" them, I just can never activate them.

And that's probably why. Didn't realize the two people had to be in the party. Thanks bros.

Ridley327

Oh no, I've "found" them, I just can never activate them.

And that's probably why. Didn't realize the two people had to be in the party. Thanks bros.

There is one particular area where there are additional conditions that need to be met outside of having party members and their affinity up high enough, but it should be obvious as to what that needs to be once you get started working on it.

Croc

Banned
Question regarding Shulk's skill tree.
4th one, to be exact.

So I'm reading up online and according to everything I'm reading I need 4 star affinity with Colony 9 area and to complete Jackson's Awakening to be able to do Desiree's quest. I have both of those completed but I still can't get the quest from her (and Shulk is my party leader too). Am I missing something?

Instro

Question regarding Shulk's skill tree.
4th one, to be exact.

So I'm reading up online and according to everything I'm reading I need 4 star affinity with Colony 9 area and to complete Jackson's Awakening to be able to do Desiree's quest. I have both of those completed but I still can't get the quest from her (and Shulk is my party leader too). Am I missing something?

You might need a little extra Colony 9 affinity. Although it might say you just need level 4, the actual amount is probably somewhere between 4 and 5.

Croc

Banned
You might need a little extra Colony 9 affinity. Although it might say you just need level 4, the actual amount is probably somewhere between 4 and 5.

Is there any other way to get affinity besides quests (and talking to random people)? I've gone through the quest list on another site and I'm almost positive I've done everything I can at this point. There were some other quests on the list I haven't done but the reward was some very large amounts of exp so I'm assuming they don't open up until later on.

Edit: N/m, talked to a random person and I got just 1 more affinity star thing (not the whole Colony 9 level, just an individual one) which apparently raised it enough to get that quest from her.

zashga

This game is so good. I'm approaching the big showdown with
Egil in Agniratha
, and I've been running with
Shulk, Reyn, and Fiora the whole way up Mechonis
. You know, for old time's sake.

Is it me, or is the most monstrous thing about the plot the fact that
Vanea and Meyneth butchered Fiora to manipulate Shulk
? And no one in the party calls them on it, either. So weird.

Jesus, what the FUCK is wrong with the English version of
Riki's
voice?! That shit is horrible. Tried English voices for kicks (since most of the characters seemed okay in English when I had it on for a bit at the beginning) and got my ears assaulted with...that.

Anyway, I wish the Eryth armor set for Shulk was his endgame gear. It looks so badass.

AniHawk

my reaction to 7th initially:

oh so it's female shulk with less armor and no healing. THIS SHOULD BE FUN.

my reaction to 7th after
maxing out double-attacks, quick movement, and bumping agility, as well as unlocking the auto-crit skill for hitting with a double attack, and then maxing out her haste spell:

i am a living god

seriously, melia, sharla, and 7th are an unholy trinity of murder

ivysaur12

Banned
my reaction to 7th initially:

oh so it's female shulk with less armor and no healing. THIS SHOULD BE FUN.

my reaction to 7th after
maxing out double-attacks, quick movement, and bumping agility, as well as unlocking the auto-crit skill for hitting with a double attack, and then maxing out her haste spell:

i am a living god

seriously, melia, sharla, and 7th are an unholy trinity of murder

Uh huh. It's pretty amazing.

Top Bottom