• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

WillyFive

Didn't expect an OT this early!

If the game is still far away from English release, this may have to be converted to an Import thread.

We'll see at E3! Sounds awesome (this game) (E3 too)!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
brandonh83 said:
Actually Xenosaga 3 had the best score, IMO. Xenosaga 1 has most of its score being orchestrated on its side, but I felt Xenosaga 3 had better themes and an overall greater soundtrack.
+1

Agreed. The Xenosaga Ep.1 soundtrack is excellent. It was just used poorly in the actual game itself, but on its own the soundtrack is very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdpoO-21rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1R-UrpUzHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CE8bCLguyc (LQ makes me sad ;_;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK_YY_rJh3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8D8Lti8Sag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olX3r-buMoE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSLuLiUD6c

I'd even go as far as saying that personally I don't think a better game soundtrack as been made since Xenosaga Episode 1. But Mitsuda is my favorite game composer :)
Yeah, this is why i don't like the xenosaga episode 1 OST that much. It's i usually judge osts based on how they are used in the game, and the episode 1 ost was used very poorly IMO.

There's this one song on the OST that i found to be really irritating and it's played so often in the game.:lol

Make that 2 years for Europe, if ever.

:/
You know if "disaster" and "another code" is any indication. We might get this game first before the americans.

Aeana

Willy105 said:

If the game is still far away from English release, this may have to be converted to an Import thread.

That's... what it is. This is the thread for people who are going to play the Japanese release to discuss it. A new thread will be made when the English release is imminent.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Willy105 said:

Well that's egocentric. You do realize that people exist outside of english speaking countries, right?

WillyFive

grandjedi6 said:
Well that's egocentric. You do realize that people exist outside of english speaking countries, right?

Duh.

But I was under the impression the members of NeoGAF communicated in English.

The world is a big place you know, even the English side of the world is divided by the US, the UK and Britain, India, and those who use English as a second languages in places like SA and China and Japan and the Philippines.

NeoGAF is a big place, and has people from all of those. But as shown by the Google Map of NeoGAF that we made, most English speakers do in fact come from the regions where games are generally released in English. It's true!

Willy105 said:
Duh.

The world is a big place you know, even the English side of the world is divided by the US, the UK and Britain, India, and those who use English as a second languages in places like SA and China and Japan and the Philippines.

NeoGAF is a big place, and has people from all of those. But as shown by the Google Map of NeoGAF that we made, most English speakers do in fact come from the regions where games are generally released in English. It's true!
What a stupid thing to nitpick. Just be glad that we're going to have impressions before this game releases in North America...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Victrix said:
I have to admit, XS2 turned me off so harshly from Xeno anything, I'm lukewarm on this title. I never played Soma Bringer, so I have no exposure to anything of his other than Gears and XS1/2 (and fuck 2, entirely, I never played 3).

I'll wait for impressions, hopefully good!

Soma Bringer was brilliant, and like Xenoblade, included a lot of gameplay tropes from WRPGs. I think that's what has me so interested in Xenoblade. It looks like it's moving the genre forward, including things that are great about both sides of the ocean.

The day/night system, the quest log, gem socketing. It's great to see it.

thefil

CryingWolf said:
Plus city building!

Holy fucking shit.

I came in to post "I convinced myself I wasn't interested in this game, but then remembered how much I loved Xenosaga", but instead you just elevated this to MUST HAVE.

Town building is my absolute favourite addition to any RPG.

thefil said:
Holy fucking shit.

I came in to post "I convinced myself I wasn't interested in this game, but then remembered how much I loved Xenosaga", but instead you just elevated this to MUST HAVE.

Town building is my absolute favourite addition to any RPG.

Xenoblade Has Achievements and City Building

You'll be able to lend a hand to rebuild a city (or possibly cities) that has been destroyed in attacks from the Kishin army. To help the city out, you'll have to give items and money. The city will slowly grow, and people will come over to live.

Screenshots show a city status screen where you can check level of redevelopment (shown as a percentage) and population. You can also choose to develop particular areas: housing, merchants, nature and "special." Each area requires certain items in certain quantities -- it looks like the alchemy system one might find in other RPGs.

Yes, I am very excited by this feature, too.

May16

jj984jj said:
Does it? I still wonder if adding Xeno~ to the title was a good thing, even after all the content they've shown and as much as I want the game.l
Seeing as no one gave a crap abou the game until it was called Xenoblade, yeah, I'm gona say the renaming was a brilliant marketing move.

May16 said:
Seeing as no one gave a crap abou the game until it was called Xenoblade, yeah, I'm gona say the renaming was a brilliant marketing move.

Hey I didn't give a crap until I saw the trailer in the OP. However, that is mostly because I disliked the XS series so much.

This one does look really nice though. Is this finally the high budget console RPG that I have been waiting for? Everything else has disappointed so far...

On the fence for picking it up this week...

May16 said:

Well, no one knew a damn thing about this game aside from the fact that it was being made until it was called Xenoblade. I do think the name change helped, but I'm sure people would still be excited even if it was called Monado.

May16

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, no one knew a damn thing about this game aside from the fact that it was being made until it was called Xenoblade. I do think the name change helped, but I'm sure people would still be excited even if it was called Monado.
There were lots of screenshots and even a trailer :p
When the name was changed, almost no new info or media came forth, yet the hype level went through the roof. Websites that never even covered it before were now suddenly all over it -- many people hadn't even realized it had been shown at E3.

I'm not saying there'd be NO anticipation level if the game were still called Monado, but it's safe to say it'd be far, far less than what we're seeing right now.

May16 said:
There were lots of screenshots and even a trailer :p
When the name was changed, almost no new info or media came forth, yet the hype level went through the roof. Websites that never even covered it before were now suddenly all over it -- many people hadn't even realized it had been shown at E3.

I'm not saying there'd be NO anticipation level if the game were still called Monado, but it's safe to say it'd be far, far less than what we're seeing right now.

Yes, there was a trailer, but it wasn't like it got any real fanfare. It was released while E3 was going on, but it wasn't shown at the Press Conference or anything, and all that was really known at the time was that the game existed and was being developed by Monolithsoft. There really wasn't anything know about the mechanics or the world (aside from the fact that it looked like a fantasy world).

Obviously the name change generated excitement, but I think there would still be a lot of buzz now without that, given the mechanics that have been revealed. It would be less, obviously, but I don't think it would be non-existant or anything.

B.K.

May16 said:

I was actually more interested in it than I am now before they changed the name.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God, I love how many awesome WRPG improvements they're implementing in the game. Exploration EXP, gem socketing, day/night system (with the ability to wait), quest log...am I missing anything?

Combine that with so many of the things I love about JRPGs, and you've got a seriously awesome recipe for greatness.

thetrin said:
God, I love how many awesome WRPG improvements they're implementing in the game. Exploration EXP, gem socketing, day/night system (with the ability to wait), quest log...am I missing anything?

Combine that with so many of the things I love about JRPGs, and you've got a seriously awesome recipe for greatness.

I read a quote from one of the designers somewhere, where he said that they asked themselves "What do gamers want from an RPG these days?"

It looks to me like they're doing a great job giving RPG fans what we want. This game looks like the complete opposite of FF13 (which I hate with a passion.)

Beth Cyra

CryingWolf said:
I read a quote from one of the designers somewhere, where he said that they asked themselves "What do gamers want from an RPG these days?"

It looks to me like they're doing a great job giving RPG fans what we want. This game looks like the complete opposite of FF13 (which I hate with a passion.)

Yes but not all RPG fans share your opinion. And while I can't wait to get my hands on Xenoblade I loved Final Fantasy XIII and am almost sure that when I have finished Xenoblade I will have had more fun and be more likely to go back to XIII then I will Xenoblade.

I loved (and still am loving) Final Fantasy XIII, and I'm also greatly looking forward to Xenoblade. It is possible to enjoy multiple directions for RPGs, after all.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TruePrime said:
Yes but not all RPG fans share your opinion. And while I can't wait to get my hands on Xenoblade I loved Final Fantasy XIII and am almost sure that when I have finished Xenoblade I will have had more fun and be more likely to go back to XIII then I will Xenoblade.

Jumping onto his FFXIII criticism in less than a minute and declaring that you will surely love it more than Xenoblade. Surely aren't set in your preconceptions or anything :lol

Beth Cyra

grandjedi6 said:
Jumping onto his FFXIII criticism in less than a minute and declaring that you will surely love it more than Xenoblade. Surely aren't set in your preconceptions or anything :lol

Haha maybe true, and if somehow end up enjoying XIII less then Blade I will be more then happy to eat my words because all that means is I really loved Blade since I like XIII so much.

My point wasn't even really at him so much as it was that this is what one guy thinks RPG gamers want and while that is probably true for a large bunch of them there are those of us that do love titles like XIII so I was just offering up a counter point to the statement is all.

Well, let's just say I'm glad that there are developers out there that understand what I want, since Square Enix apparently does not. And I know I'm not the only one.

Bebpo

Banned
I agree with the guy 3 posts up who said all kinds of variety of rpgs is a good thing.

Alpha Protocol
Resonance of Fate
FFXIII
Xenoblade
Mass Effect 2
The Last Ranker
KH BBS

This year is all about varied rpg gaming, and that's a great thing imo. There's something in there for everyone :D

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
I agree with the guy 3 posts up who said all kinds of variety of rpgs is a good thing.

Alpha Protocol
Resonance of Fate
FFXIII
Xenoblade
Mass Effect 2
The Last Ranker
KH BBS

This year is all about varied rpg gaming, and that's a great thing imo. There's something in there for everyone :D

Well I will conced to that, as much as I love XIII I wouldn't want to everygame to be like it. I still haven't picked up Resonance of Fate though, really need to do that some time.

wrowa

Willy105 said:
Duh.

You are just crying because you want to make the OT, aren't you?

No wonder they made it on the Wii.... as we all know that towns and world maps are not possible in High Definition.

I have a Wii in my closet somewhere. I'll have to dig it out if Xenoblade is localized to the US!

Sophia

I've been considering importing... although I'm waiting on reviews of A.C.E:R before I make my final decision.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
First I've heard of the town-building, I LOOOOVE that element in games (Actraiser, SoulBlazer, Terranigma, Dark Cloud). Looking forward to hearing impressions about the combat and the storyline. I like the huge environments, fast travel speed, quest log, etc. Seems that Takahashi has taken a lot of the complaints people had about Xenosaga to heart (such a sloooooow moving game).

thetrin

djtiesto said:
First I've heard of the town-building, I LOOOOVE that element in games (Actraiser, SoulBlazer, Terranigma, Dark Cloud). Looking forward to hearing impressions about the combat and the storyline. I like the huge environments, fast travel speed, quest log, etc. Seems that Takahashi has taken a lot of the complaints people had about Xenosaga to heart (such a sloooooow moving game).

Well, funny you say that, because I'm curious if the city building is more a key part of the gameplay (like Actraiser and Dark Cloud), or if it's just a side quest, like in Tales of Symphonia.

I love FFXIII too that doesn't mean I won't like Xenoblade

Diversity FTW!

I hope we get it in Europe though, we only got 1 xenosaga game I think.

Here's to hoping it holds up to it's fame. Saga ep. 1 was fantastic. Saga ep. 2 nearly killed my will to live. Never bothered with 3.

*fingers crossed*

Abel

brandonh83 said:
Bad move. Haven't played a better RPG since. Not even close.

Quoted for great justice! +1

Between the story, music, battles (omg epic boss battles!), it was just amazing all around :D

Now the bigger question is, will there be a "To Be Continued..." at the end of Xenoblade? :lol

Top Bottom