• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X: preload and data packs available to download

aravuus

Any word on how bearable the game is without the packs? Are we talking Lego City load times, or just a lot of pop-in? I've been having trouble with space allocation on my Wii U ever since I grabbed Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I would have to clear out for sure, although I would prefer not to as that's a piece of software I still hop in and out of every now and then. I suppose if I commit to not touching MPT (plus some other big occupants) until I either finish XCX or buy a new external drive, I can swap it out for now, but it's not exactly convenient to have to plan for a massive download far in advance should I feel like switching back one night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lBVaLb0nw

Can the data packs be installed BEFORE booting up the game for the first time?

Earlier in this thread an American said so, but I have a PAL console and when I look at the data packs in Download Management it clearly tells me to boot Xenoblade Chronicles X in order to install them. I also read an European saying he had to wait 1h+ for them to install. D:

The data packs which had been downloaded were now "installing." And that took a bit of time too. Now they show up when I look at the data on my memory.

Thanks for the comparison video. If the difference is mainly in loading screens when entering zones, and not so visible in the streaming of models loading into the game environment as you run around (nothing in the video to speak to this), I may in fact suffer through playing without the packs. I guess we'll see soon enough if there is so much fast travel involved in the late game as to change my mind.

Thanks for the comparison video. If the difference is mainly in loading screens when entering zones, and not so visible in the streaming of models loading into the game environment as you run around (nothing in the video to speak to this), I may in fact suffer through playing without the packs. I guess we'll see soon enough if there is so much fast travel involved in the late game as to change my mind.

Buy a flash drive or usb hd and be fine.

With a physical copy, is there any downside of putting all the data packs on a regular usb drive, or is it better to move my Fatal Frame over to the usb and put the data packs into system memory?
The internal memory is likely be faster and since the idea is to lower load times you would want to put it on the faster area.

Apparently when using the internal memory you might start a cutscene and have objects load a split second later while a fast enough external will have the objects pre-loaded (it is possible this example was affected by how the player triggered the cutscene as in those assets were already loaded due to how they explored the area in question).

It sounds like a very small, near unnoticeable gain which can be affected through other factors though.

Any word on how bearable the game is without the packs? Are we talking Lego City load times, or just a lot of pop-in? I've been having trouble with space allocation on my Wii U ever since I grabbed Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I would have to clear out for sure, although I would prefer not to as that's a piece of software I still hop in and out of every now and then. I suppose if I commit to not touching MPT (plus some other big occupants) until I either finish XCX or buy a new external drive, I can swap it out for now, but it's not exactly convenient to have to plan for a massive download far in advance should I feel like switching back one night.
While having all the packs is nice do you have room for the high impact basic one as that is the one that is said to have the biggest impact on area loading which is my biggest concern.

Can the data packs be installed BEFORE booting up the game for the first time?
In my case the download finished and it said I need to start the game to install but when I turned off the system it installed when in standby (indicated by the orange power light and hard drive activity) and took a while to do so.

Am i missing something?I've heard that external USB hard drives are not compatible with the WiiU and that they require a power cord.
This is more the thread for that kind of thing:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500517

Self powered external drives work. USB power only need to use 2 USB ports using a form of Y cable (some laptops also need these) due to the USB ports being underpowered.

USB memory sticks are not recomended. Nintendo say they are not designed for constant use and have limited read/write cycles but many people feel it is due to more variable quality.

Manac0r

So can I only preload the data packs? What about the digital copy of the game (EU)? Cancelled my physical copy after getting a 500gb drive for my WiiU. Time to load that bad boy up.

sublimit

Banned

Self powered external drives work. USB power only need to use 2 USB ports using a form of Y cable (some laptops also need these) due to the USB ports being underpowered.

USB memory sticks are not recomended. Nintendo say they are not designed for constant use and have limited read/write cycles but many people feel it is due to more variable quality.

I see thanks.

sora87

So, does the Wii U carry on downloading when you turn it off? This is looking like it's gonna take a long ass time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So, does the Wii U carry on downloading when you turn it off? This is looking like it's gonna take a long ass time.

Mine absolutely did. Started downloading before work yesterday, shut the machine off the moment I left the eShop. Came home that evening and turned on the Wii U, all 10GB were installed and waiting for the full game to play.

I also just downloaded them onto a 32GB USB 3.0 stick plugged into the back of the system, hoping this won't be a problem.

In the premium Wii U pack it states it has "32 GB total system storage, part of which is reserved for system data"

How much is actually usable?

I've not downloaded much to it over the past few years.

aravuus

In the premium Wii U pack it states it has "32 GB total system storage, part of which is reserved for system data"

You can see how much free space there is in the settings.

I think my 8GB Wii U had around 4 gigabytes left after updating the system software etc, so I guess the premium one has 28-ish GB free if you don't have any games installed.

You can see how much free space there is in the settings.

I think my 8GB Wii U had around 4 gigabytes left after updating the system software etc, so I guess the premium one has 28-ish GB free if you don't have any games installed.

ahh cool, Games don't really install from a disc if i understand correctly? Not in the same was as the Xb1 / PS4?

I should have plenty room for all the packs then.

Mine absolutely did. Started downloading before work yesterday, shut the machine off the moment I left the eShop. Came home that evening and turned on the Wii U, all 10GB were installed and waiting for the full game to play.

I also just downloaded them onto a 32GB USB 3.0 stick plugged into the back of the system, hoping this won't be a problem.

I used a 64GB USB 3.0 stick for a limited time until I upgraded to a 2,5" HDD, and seem to recall it working well.

fernoca

25GB.
You can go to the settings and check how much you have left.

aravuus

ahh cool, Games don't really install from a disc if i understand correctly? Not in the same was as the Xb1 / PS4?

I should have plenty room for all the packs then.

That seems to be the case. Some of the games may have updates installed taking space, of course.

But yeah, I'm sure you have enough space for the packs. eShop tells you if you have insufficient space when you try to download them anyway, if that's the case.

OK downloading 10.4gb! It's going reasonably fast too. Annoyingly, if I find a decent drive soon I'll switch to digital for this game, makes the system quieter without a disc spinning.

zokie

does anyone know the preload unlock time for NA version? is it midnight or 9am?( when the NA eshop updates )

Another option is an active USB hub (with external power) and any usb hd.

Ahhhh totally forgot about this! Need to download when I get back home, especially since I just got an email just now saying my copy's been shipped! :D

I canceled my preorder for this game yesterday and just opted for the digital version instead.

I'm all pre-loaded and ready to go come Friday (well, Saturday, after my LSAT exam).

I just want to confirm, the data packs come with the digital version right? So no need to download them if you purchase the digital version? Or is it just a case of having the software on the HDD so it reduces load times based on that?

aravuus

I canceled my preorder for this game yesterday and just opted for the digital version instead.

I'm all pre-loaded and ready to go come Friday (well, Saturday, after my LSAT exam).

I just want to confirm, the data packs come with the digital version right? So no need to download them if you purchase the digital version? Or is it just a case of having the software on the HDD so it reduces load times based on that?

Yeah, the packs do nothing if you're going digital. They literally just have some of the game data so the game can load it from the HDD/flash memory rather than the disc.

A friend has a question I could not answer. He has gone fully digital but wants to play Xenoblade X NOW (because of free time) and a retailer nearby already sells the game.

So he wants to buy the game at the retailer and later switch to the digital version (and sell or give away the disc). It is possible to use the save game from the disc version for the digital version?

aravuus

A friend has a question I could not answer. He has gone fully digital but wants to play Xenoblade X NOW (because of free time) and a retailer nearby already sells the game.

So he wants to buy the game at the retailer and later switch to the digital version (and sell or give away the disc). It is possible to use the save game from the disc version for the digital version?

I want to say "why the hell not" but then again, something like copying a save game from HDD to internal memory is ridiculous or borderline impossible on some cases with the Wii U, so it really doesn't seem like the smartest machine around.

Essentially he's playing the exact same game, though, the difference is just where it's being streamed from (DVD or HDD) so even with my doubts about the console, I'm pretttttttty sure he could do that, no problem.

Kyzer

Banned

I'm pretty sure it will work as long as he's playing under the same Wii U User account. I could be wrong

radcliff

So if I'm only interested in making quick travel faster, I would just need to download the basic pack? Do any of the other packs improve quick travel? Some of the descriptions of what each pack does is kind of vague.

It is possible. I'm planning to do this myself.

Top Bottom