• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X: preload and data packs available to download

Cleve

I used a 64GB USB 3.0 stick for a limited time until I upgraded to a 2,5" HDD, and seem to recall it working well.

It will. The decay of flash media is grossly overstated.

There's some crappy outliers there for sure, but they'll normally get anywhere from 3k-100k writes before dying depending on tech. Given that in this scenario you're writing once and just reading from there a quality USB stick should be fine. There's plenty of cheap choices that will hold more data than you need and completely saturate the Wii-Us usb.

So if I'm only interested in making quick travel faster, I would just need to download the basic pack? Do any of the other packs improve quick travel? Some of the descriptions of what each pack does is kind of vague.
Even if the PR it features a lot of repetitive text but yes the basic should be at least 90% of the fast travel improvement as terrain is what it loaded. To quote the PR:
basic pack said:
The Basic Data Pack installs frequently used data, such as terrain. It speeds up load times in the city and in the field. For the greatest impact on your experience, download this pack this.
download this pack this
It is like I wrote the PR

Dr Dogg

So this just turned up today a tad early and I forgot about these content packs. Almost 11gb!?!?! That was some serious fridge cleaning required and really hammers home I should get an external drive for my WiiU. That and an Ethernet adpater as it's going to take bloody ages to download (not that I don't have other things to preocupy myself with).

JC Lately

Yikes... Horrible loading screens no matter what you do, then? :x

When you load the game? Yes. Then you don't see a loading screen again for the rest of that play session unless you fast travel.

Does Fallout 4 still throw up a loading screen everytime you go through a door?

LiK

So this just turned up today a tad early and I forgot about these content packs. Almost 11gb!?!?! That was some serious fridge cleaning required and really hammers home I should get an external drive for my WiiU. That and an Ethernet adpater as it's going to take bloody ages to download (not that I don't have other things to preocupy myself with).

yea, I got an Ethernet adapter last year for like $5 and it's worth it.

When you load the game? Yes. Then you don't see a loading screen again for the rest of that play session unless you fast travel.

Does Fallout 4 still throw up a loading screen everytime you go through a door?

yup

Maddanth

I have a 32 GB Wii u I believe. I I don't have anything else installed do I have enough space to put this game on? Or should I just purchase an external drive? I don't play my Wii u to much but this game looks great.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guys what's the size of the download? Also I don't think we need data packs for digital downloads, right?

Edit: ouch 22.9GB. I think I have around 24ish.

aravuus

I have a 32 GB Wii u I believe. I I don't have anything else installed do I have enough space to put this game on? Or should I just purchase an external drive? I don't play my Wii u to much but this game looks great.

The whole game's something like 23 gigabytes. It'll cut close, but you should have enough space.

sora87

Well nintendo store now says it's awaiting dispatch, but dispatching on friday... so guess i'm not playing it this week.

repeater

I'm trying to preload the packs from the European Eshop but I just keep getting error messages. (Error code: 111-9000: "Could not connect to the server. The network may be busy, or a server error may have occurred. Please try again later.") This has persisted for several days. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Lutherian

I'm trying to preload the packs from the European Eshop but I just keep getting error messages. (Error code: 111-9000: "Could not connect to the server. The network may be busy, or a server error may have occurred. Please try again later.") This has persisted for several days. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Two possibilities (or maybe three) :

- Too many people, putting the NoE servers on their knees.
- eShop unnanouced maintenance to prepare preload.

(unlikely) - Your provider has a problem.

I had them download and it looks like it installed but I don't see anything unless I go to Data Management. Does that seem right? I got a Wii U yesterday so I just want to know I don't need to do anything else. :)

Riki

I had them download and it looks like it installed but I don't see anything unless I go to Data Management. Does that seem right? I got a Wii U yesterday so I just want to know I don't need to do anything else. :)
They are there if they were downloaded and installed. You don't see them anywhere really.

Okay good. I saw some people saying that they had an icon teasing them on the main menu. I'm guessing that's a full digital preload though.

killroy87

My apologies, I'm sure this has been asked before, but these aren't texture packs, correct? They're solely to speed up loading times? So the game will always look the same, this is just to make it load faster?

My hard drive space is at a premium, and I want to test it out normally to see if it's bearable before I download these

Not sure what the problem is, but try downloading half of them and then let it install to the Wii U by turning it off for a while. Once it says installed on the download management screen, download the other two and do the same.

For whatever reason, I got that error most from the Skell pack. I ended up downloading that last. Got tired of having to delete the whole thing because they weren't installed and the last one had issues that forced me to delete the packs that didn't install yet.

repeater

Two possibilities (or maybe three) :

- Too many people, putting the NoE servers on their knees.
- eShop unnanouced maintenance to prepare preload.

(unlikely) - Your provider has a problem.
Thanks for your answer! I find the first two hypotheses highly unlikely: I've been having this problem for about 4 days in a row now, I don't think NOE servers or the Eshop specifically could be down for that long without a lot of people noticing and complaining (including on GAF).

I did change my ISP recently, so maybe it's related to that? However, all my other equipment (PS4, PS3, 360, laptop, tablet, phone) has been completely unaffected by this change, no problems with the connection there..

Not sure what the problem is, but try downloading half of them and then let it install to the Wii U by turning it off for a while. Once it says installed on the download management screen, download the other two and do the same.
Thanks for your help! But you see, my problem is that I don't even get to the point where the download starts. The furthest I've gotten is to the point where I've added all the packs to my Eshop "cart", and then I've pressed "purchase" or "confirm" or "download" or whatever, and then it's been loading for a long time and then I get the error message. But sometimes I get the same error message trying to even load the Eshop.

This is very frustrating. I likely won't get the game until next week at the earliest, but I'd really like to have all the downloads sorted by then since I wanna jump into the game straight away.

Hellers

Right. Plan for tonight is to move everything from my Wii-U onto my external disk. Then tomorrow whenever NoE decide they'd actually like to take my money I can download with my USB ethernet adaptor and then move that over onto the external drive too.

I'm also not at work Friday so it's a delicious three day weekend of glorious monster punching hot Xenoblade action. It doesn't get any better than this guys.

I bought the black wii u last year the week smash bros came out. not sure how big the HDD is, but the only games i have on it are some old VC games like OOT, MM, SM64, and SM

Ferrio

Banned
So is the default HD enough for the full digital download? I honestly never payed attention to the hard disk space in the thing.

pablito

So I had just gotten a Wii U yesterday and one of the first things I did was get the data packs. I'm doing retail on this. There were I think 4 packs total, for 10 GB? I think I should be good to go.

Does anyone know what the accepted controllers will be? I won't be getting the pro controller for a while, if ever(the one that's like the Xbox). Would I be able to use the Wiimote with the Classic attachment? I don't really want to play this with the Pad. Thing's huge.

Eyothrie

So I had just gotten a Wii U yesterday and one of the first things I did was get the data packs. I'm doing retail on this. There were I think 4 packs total, for 10 GB? I think I should be good to go.

Does anyone know what the accepted controllers will be? I won't be getting the pro controller for a while, if ever(the one that's like the Xbox). Would I be able to use the Wiimote with the Classic attachment? I don't really want to play this with the Pad. Thing's huge.

Not sure about the classic controller, but the Wii u pro controller works. You'll still want to have the gamepad near for easy access to the map / fast travel

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Can I put a 32gb SD card in my Wii U and pre-load the full game onto that? How fast will it read the game from an SD card compared to a USB flash drive?

Top Bottom