• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X: preload and data packs available to download

AlanOC91

Asked my Brother to pick this up for me for Christmas. Oh god I've made a huge mistake.

I'll be dragging myself away from Gamestop come 4th December.

Zomba13

Downloading all 4 packs from the store (EU here) and it's only totalling 10GB in the download list (which matches the image in the OP). Is it really 15.3GB and where do I get the other 5.3GB? Unless that is for the full game preload and not the data packs?

Downloading all 4 packs from the store (EU here) and it's only totalling 10GB in the download list (which matches the image in the OP). Is it really 15.3GB and where do I get the other 5.3GB? Unless that is for the full game preload and not the data packs?

Data packs need 15GB for installation (uncompressing etc.) but after installation they only need 10GB of disc space. At least that what I've been told.

Robin64

You need extra space beyond the finished size for unpacking, but once installed it will take up 10GB of space.

Wii U said:
Download complete
To finish installing this update, you must start the software to be updated from the Wii U menu
Vadernoooooo.jpg
I'm not looking forward to a potential 10 minute installation as soon as I get the game

These don't show up on the HD menu until I install the game right?

Also, amazon is fucking me on my special edition. The best they can do is the 7th delivery and not release date.

I think I might have to flip it then cause I ain't waiting a weekend to play thissss. I can live with the regular edition.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was under the assumption that you needed 11GB for these packs... yet the eShop says 15GB are required and my Wii U is currently downloading 10!?

What is the final size of the packs when they are installed and everything is said and done?

I was under the assumption that you needed 11GB for these packs... yet the eShop says 15GB are required and my Wii U is currently downloading 10!?

What is the final size of the packs when they are installed and everything is said and done?

The way I was told, you need a little extra space as it unzips the files, but the final amount is a little over 10

Look a few posts above yours. These Question has already been answered several times in this thread...

Joey Ravn

Banned
Look a few posts above yours. These Question has already been answered several times in this thread...

Ah, sorry. I was doing some other things while I was writing this and let my post sit a few minutes too many. When I started writing the question above hadn't been posted yet ;)

Thanks for the clarification, though.

Yazuka

I'm sorry to ask this here. But regarding Xenoblade for Wii, if I buy the eshop version can I use my disc save on the game? And iuf so how do I go about to use iut.
Thanks and sorry.

Downloaded the data packs, so I'm ready for friday.

Grampasso

I'm sorry to ask this here. But regarding Xenoblade for Wii, if I buy the eshop version can I use my disc save on the game? And iuf so how do I go about to use iut.
Thanks and sorry.

Downloaded the data packs, so I'm ready for friday.

Yes, tested on mine

Grampasso

But how do I do it? I'm still very new to everything Wii U.
Can't really find where I can transfer it.
What do you want to do exactly? Transfer a save from (physical) Wii to WiiU?
If that's the case you can do it as explained here
If you have played Xeno on the Wii channel instead there's no need to transfer, the save will already be there
Edit: maybe my memory fails me but I think you could backup your saves on an SD Card, put it into the WiiU and transfer your save in the WiiU's Wii Channel if you don't want to go through the transfer process

Cathcart

So is this a direct sequel to XC or is it like a Final Fantasy thing where it's a stand alone story with similar themes/creatures/etc?

Chaos17

So is this a direct sequel to XC or is it like a Final Fantasy thing where it's a stand alone story with similar themes/creatures/etc?

Second option but beside 1 npc race, I don't think the monsters are the same and the music is 100% not the same XD

WVW69il4vCUCcKk83N

Cathcart

OK, thanks. Had some friends asking me if they'd be lost because they missed out on the Wii game. I told them they already lost regardless :p

Yazuka

What do you want to do exactly? Transfer a save from (physical) Wii to WiiU?
If that's the case you can do it as explained here
If you have played Xeno on the Wii channel instead there's no need to transfer, the save will already be there
I have a saved file on an SD card. And I was just wondering how I go about to use it for the digital version on Wii U.
I played it some time ago on a Wii, I no longer have. And I don't have a wiimote right now, so I can't access the Wii channel. Sorry to be a bother and I hoped that explained it better.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Took a half day off Friday and all week off next week. Bought a HDD just for this game. Preordered the collectors edition and collectors edition guide.

Total investment: ~$200 plus 44 hours of PTO.

My body is ready.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
OK, thanks. Had some friends asking me if they'd be lost because they missed out on the Wii game. I told them they already lost regardless :p

Well it's on the new 3ds and hopefully coming to the Wii U VC in NA (because other countries have it already)

So I have the data packs installed on the external hard drive. Where will the save files be stored? I am almost certain the external drive will eventually fail since all my drives have eventually failed. I'd hate to lose this save game.

Mael

So I have the data packs installed on the external hard drive. Where will the save files be stored? I am almost certain the external drive will eventually fail since all my drives have eventually failed. I'd hate to lose this save game.

Got to the save management part of the config app and move the saves to internal drive if need be.
Unless they did something stupid like SSBB on Wii you should be able to move your save files.

BriGuy

I had a 1TB hard drive for my Wii U that tanked and erased two years worth of save files with it. I'm really gun shy about getting another hard drive, but it sounds like I don't have a choice. Any cheap and reliable recommendations? The Wii U is pretty much on the way out, so this may be the only game I ever install data for. Not needing a dedicated power source would be very helpful too.

Mael

I had a 1TB hard drive for my Wii U that tanked and erased two years worth of save files with it. I'm really gun shy about getting another hard drive, but it sounds like I don't have a choice. Any cheap and reliable recommendations? The Wii U is pretty much on the way out, so this may be the only game I ever install data for. Not needing a dedicated power source would be very helpful too.

If you only want to store your save file I don't think something as cheap as a 1Go USB stick being a problem.
Save files are notoriously small anyway, everything else you could do with either internal memory or HDD I guess.

BriGuy

If you only want to store your save file I don't think something as cheap as a 1Go USB stick being a problem.
Save files are notoriously small anyway, everything else you could do with either internal memory or HDD I guess.

It's not the save file, but the additional "quality of life" downloads. I'm one of like two people who bought the basic Wii U, so even if I erased everything on the system, I would still be about 10GB shy of the space I need.

Mael

It's not the save file, but the additional "quality of life" downloads. I'm one of like two people who bought the basic Wii U, so even if I erased everything on the system, I would still be about 10GB shy of the space I need.

Ah Ok I get it.
My advice would remain the same but with a larger advice, pick a cheap 16Gb USB stick and put that on the back of your WiiU and treat it like an external HDD.
It should be more than enough.
I don't think the WIiU makes a difference between USB sticks and HDD anyway.
I hear that you don't need much more than 12G of data to download and install the data packs anyway so you should be ok with that.
I'll do it with an external HDD myself so I would need confirmation but that seems like a good option.
Remember you need to format the stick to WiiU proprietary format for the USB stick to work as an external HDD.

Data packs on EU eShop, but no pre load option. Any word from Nintendo?
I wonder if enabling preload now would break the review copies as these are just standard digital versions in Europe of the final game. Games like Mario Maker and Splatoon (not that they had preload available in Europe) used a different version of the game during review period. In America all review copies of Xenoblade X are the physical disc and so locking the digital versions behind the preload has no consequence.

In short. The system is a bloody mess and I'm probably making no sense :(

sugarless

Is it just me or is the Wii U's downloading/save data system completely broken?

I freed up 15GB of space for these downloads by plugging in a 16GB USB drive and moving things to it, but because it seems to default to downloading to the USB drive, and won't let me boot the console without it attached, all the free space on my actual system memory is useless for the purposes of acquiring this data? I'm now having to move things back off the USB drive onto the system memory to free up space on it to download Xenoblade data that I'm going to be moving back to the system memory anyway! And I can't even move the Xenoblade data yet because it's not visible in the data management screen until I have the game. Beyond belief…

I freed up 15GB of space for these downloads by plugging in a 16GB USB drive and moving things to it, but because it seems to default to downloading to the USB drive, and won't let me boot the console without it attached, all the free space on my actual system memory is useless for the purposes of acquiring this data? I'm now having to move things back off the USB drive onto the system memory to free up space on it to download Xenoblade data that I'm going to be moving back to the system memory anyway! And I can't even move the Xenoblade data yet because it's not visible in the data management screen until I have the game. Beyond belief…
Yeah data management is the dog's shit on the Wii U. Don't even go into save management (
lol copy entire software then delete non-save parts
).

It'll appear once it is installed. While booting the game normally installs it a system left in standby will install as well (if the power light turns orange and the external storage turns on that is a good sign). I can see 10GB on Xenoblade X Add-On content sitting on my hard drive. Disappointingly it has bundled it all into one file.

sugarless

Yeah data management is the dog's shit on the Wii U. Don't even go into save management (
lol copy entire software then delete non-save parts
).

It'll appear once it is installed. While booting the game normally installs it a system left in standby will install as well (if the power light turns orange and the external storage turns on that is a good sign). I can see 10GB on Xenoblade X Add-On content sitting on my hard drive. Disappointingly it has bundled it all into one file.

So assuming it's all read-only data, there shouldn't be any issue with moving it to the system memory once that's possible, right?

Zekes!

This is the first time I've actually been bothered by the WiiU's tiny hard drive. I had to delete a bunch of games (including Nintendoland) to free up space for these data packs. I considered buying an external hard drive but I couldn't find a cheap one here in Canada (on short notice) and I don't really want to invest in one just for my WiiU.

Here's hoping the NX has way more storage space.

Wiseblade

I wonder if enabling preload now would break the review copies as these are just standard digital versions in Europe of the final game. Games like Mario Maker and Splatoon (not that they had preload available in Europe) used a different version of the game during review period. In America all review copies of Xenoblade X are the physical disc and so locking the digital versions behind the preload has no consequence.

In short. The system is a bloody mess and I'm probably making no sense :(
I can't see why it would be an issue. NOE could easily repeat the Splatoon thing and have an unlisted press version of the game on the eShop for reviews while the public listing is available for pre load.

Even if preloaded was available, I'd still be up early on Friday to complete the download anyway. But it's the principle of the thing, you know?

Took a half day off Friday and all week off next week. Bought a HDD just for this game. Preordered the collectors edition and collectors edition guide.

Total investment: ~$200 plus 44 hours of PTO.

My body is ready.

And here I thought I was being a badass just for taking a sick day this Friday.
You sir, win this round.

With a physical copy, is there any downside of putting all the data packs on a regular usb drive, or is it better to move my Fatal Frame over to the usb and put the data packs into system memory?

Any word on how bearable the game is without the packs? Are we talking Lego City load times, or just a lot of pop-in? I've been having trouble with space allocation on my Wii U ever since I grabbed Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I would have to clear out for sure, although I would prefer not to as that's a piece of software I still hop in and out of every now and then. I suppose if I commit to not touching MPT (plus some other big occupants) until I either finish XCX or buy a new external drive, I can swap it out for now, but it's not exactly convenient to have to plan for a massive download far in advance should I feel like switching back one night.

Top Bottom