• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X: preload and data packs available to download

So the HDD could be used for Xenoblade while the internal storage will still have my other data correct? Should of been a little more clear with my question before posting.

Found this while searching about hard drives for Wii U. Disable sleep functions

yes you can have data on both the hdd and interal storage as i have my retail game saves and updates on my internal and all my downloaded stuff on my hdd but everything for a game whether it be save, updates or the game itself all will be in a folder and has to be on either the hdd or the wii u memory ther is no seperating the save file and the game itself.

NoKisum

To our import players, or anyone who got the chance to play early, the data packs should work just fine on an external hard drive, right? Or is there only a difference on the Wii U physically?

Got my 500 GB that I took out of my PS4 and hooked it up with a Y cable. Getting a bigger hard drive was the best decision. Feels good to not have to worry about storage for my games and I got the data packs all ready to go for when my SE ships from Best Buy.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is there a list of what's included in each pack ?

Here’s some details about the packs:

– Basic Pack (2GB): for basic data, like the most frequent elements of terrain, which speeds up loading within the city and on Planet Mira. [Very Effective]
– Enemy Data Pack (2.7GB): for enemy data. Makes loading on the field even faster. [Midly Effective]
– Player Data Pack (3.6GB): for player data (armor, etc.). Makes loading time faster when changing equipment in shops. [Midly Effective]
– Doll Data Pack (1.7GB): for Doll data. Makes deployment of Dolls much faster. [Midly Effective]

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/x...to-improve-loading-times-of-the-disc-version/

And downloading. Feels good, except it's a stupid amount of time before release to pay full price.

Edit: Actually, my Wii U quit connecting to my wifi the second it started downloading. Feels bad, but I guess it would feel worse at release.

Kysen

I take it we cant download the JP voice pack?

Also is it possible to use a non-powered HDD ie have the USB port power it?

I recommend SanDisk with decent USB 2.0 writing/reading speeds, at least 20 MB/s, ideally 30+ but I'm not sure if the Wii U is even capable such usb datarates.

That's the one I'm using for my 8GB Wii U.
Got it for about 15€ here in EU.

Been using SanDisk flash drives and sd-cards for almost 10 years now. I have yet to witness one dying on me.
Bolded is the primary reason USB drives are not recommended. The variance is utterly insane here.

But when it comes to a €/GB cost I found it cheaper to be wasteful and reluctantly devote a 500GB HDD to the Wii U.

A side question, how essential are the side-quests of the first Xenoblade? I just started and I hear the insane amount of side quests can really bog you down. But I don't want to miss out of seriously good weapons or equipment either. Not sure how I should approach this game.
Not essential. Just a bonus. There is no limit on how many you can have accepted so accept everything you can and whatever gets done is done.

To be honest most good equipment comes from enemy drops to the extent that you're even skipping shops as far as weapons go and as far as amour goes you'll want armour with slots later on.

As for seriously good stuff. I'd say the biggest thing is the
Monado Armour
arte (at max level I think this
reduces damage by 75% for 15 seconds
) and that one just requires doing a few quests in the F
allen Arm
area. I suppose
Dunban's 4th skill tree
is also fairly easy to get by doing quests in V
alak Mountain
but for the rest of the characters generally require doing too many quests to build up area affinity to unlock.

I take it we cant download the JP voice pack?

Also is it possible to use a non-powered HDD ie have the USB port power it?
Yes but not the same USB port as the data (thanks underpowered USB ports). In other words you're using two USB slots via a Y cable. Remember the Wii U has two USB slots on the front at this time and the Gamecube controller adapter can work with one but there will be no rumble (good that is so last gen).

Ridley327

Uhhh...is there any reason the JP voices won't just be on the disc? I mean, they were with Xenoblade, after all, why wouldn' they be here?
Because there is physically no room for them. Just one VA tracks helps to fill an entire Wii U game disc, and Takahashi even went as far to say they still had troubles fitting everything on there.

Clov

I thought the game itself was 22GB. In theory, that leaves another 3GB of space on a Wii U disk, doesn't it? Not to mention that I remember reading that audio can be compressed pretty well. I wouldn't count it off the disk just yet, personally, or even as DLC on day one. Though if the dub is as good as the original Xenoblade, I might not even use the Japanese audio even if it's offered.

Ridley327

I thought the game itself was 22GB. In theory, that leaves another 3GB of space on a Wii U disk, doesn't it? Not to mention that I remember reading that audio can be compressed pretty well. I wouldn't count it off the disk just yet, personally, or even as DLC on day one. Though if the dub is as good as the original Xenoblade, I might not even use the Japanese audio even if it's offered.
I don't think you realize just how much audio is in the game. It's the big reason why the localization has taken as long as it has.

Mithos

Well Nintendo does not support Dolby Digital or DTS and such, only Linear PCM, and I'm not sure about the ability to compress LPCM sound compared to DD or DTS.

Mupod

might finally have to dig out the old 250gb drive I have lying around somewhere. I've had zero issues with the 32GB flash drive I already have plugged in, but I dunno if there's room on it. After dealing with Zombi U's horrific loadtimes and subsequently dropping that game as a result, I wish you could fully install every Wii U game. It's 2015, the 360 had this functionality a long time ago.

I'm still curious as to why people keep clinging on the 'omg don't use flash drives it's bad' line nintendo keeps throwing out. Their reasoning being the read/write limit doesn't make any sense, and it's not hard to find drives way faster than what the Wii U can even support.

Eolz

Bleh, just seen that they (Treehouse + 8-4) removed some body customization options in the english version (you can only make busty girls now). This + no japanese voices make me seriously reconsider my purchase.

Riki

Bleh, just seen that they (Treehouse + 8-4) removed some body customization options in the english version (you can only make busty girls now). This + no japanese voices make me seriously reconsider my purchase.
This seriously seems so silly to me. Really, if you want the Japanese version of the game, get the Japanese version.
You're always going to play a compromised version when it's localized.

Bleh, just seen that they (Treehouse + 8-4) removed some body customization options in the english version (you can only make busty girls now) . This + no japanese voices make me seriously reconsider my purchase.
I never heard about it, can you tell us more?

Edit: Seriously what the fuck is going on this year.

ryushe

*Am shocked at all the people using tb's for storage*

Even if you went fully digital, is there even a TB worth of games on the Wii U?

Just to be 100% clear you're saying the Western release lost the ability to make flat girls or did you mistype and we can not make busty characters?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
If you want the original game the way it was originally meant to be played, then you have to learn the original language.
There's always going to be changes to any localization.

Or they could just let people download a Japanese voice pack.

Astral Dog

Is there a vídeo comparing the game with the data packs to the game without them?

Also, if i only download the basic pack there is still a huge difference without the others?

Eolz

This seriously seems so silly to me. Really, if you want the Japanese version of the game, get the Japanese version.
You're always going to play a compromised version when it's localized.

There's a difference between modifying text/etc (95% of localizations) and removing customization features. Editing Lyn's costumes was a great choice, not this one.

I never heard about it, can you tell us more?

Edit: Seriously what the fuck is going on this year.

Just to be 100% clear you're saying the Western release lost the ability to make flat girls or did you mistype and we can not make busty characters?

You can't change this part of the body at all anymore. It's a medium-big size by default.
Edit: video in post above, meant to link to http://nintendoeverything.com/video-a-close-look-at-xenoblade-chronicles-xs-character-creation/
Easy to find a jp video with the slider.

Top Bottom