• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X: preload and data packs available to download

Griss

Well, my long-standing desire to switch to a bigger hard drive for my Wii U just became an imperative.

Might as well buy it digitally if it's gonna take all this space...

Directly from Nintendo:

Granted, I'm probably just gonna use my 16GB flash drive for the time being. Though does anyone have experience using flash drives for downloading extra Wii U content?

I've been using a 16GB thumb drive for almost 2 years with no problems at all. I run Mario Kart, Smash Bros, NSMBU and tons more off of it as I have a white Wii U that has almost no storage. I also store my DLC on it too. Never had an issue other than running out of space.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Used a 16GB corsair drive for a year before getting a HDD and a y cable, just had demos on it. Been using a flash drive in my 360 for a good few years too installing disks to it and arcade games withought problems.

The 16GB drive is still alive and used for other stuff now BTW.
Hmm, alright. I might nab a 32GB so I can move Tropical Freeze, maybe Punch-Out on Wii if I have the space, & then install the packs onto there.

Would I still be able to use it if I need to put some files or videos onto it, or is it stuck being a storage device for the Wii U?

komorebi

So what's the final verdict on digital vs physical? Does digital still beat out the disc/data pack combo in loading times?

Jolkien

Man the Wii U download speed is ridiculously slow, gonna take about 2 hours to download whenI get around 22-25 MB/s on Steam.

Used a 16GB corsair drive for a year before getting a HDD and a y cable, just had demos on it. Been using a flash drive in my 360 for a good few years too installing disks to it and arcade games withought problems.

The 16GB drive is still alive and used for other stuff now BTW.

I recommend SanDisk with decent USB 2.0 writing/reading speeds, at least 20 MB/s, ideally 30+ but I'm not sure if the Wii U is even capable such usb datarates.

That's the one I'm using for my 8GB Wii U.
Got it for about 15€ here in EU.

Been using SanDisk flash drives and sd-cards for almost 10 years now. I have yet to witness one dying on me.

Downloading the packs now. Can't wait till my game gets here :)

This is an early ass preload, why not just release the game now?

Under the game it says "With the pre-load feature, you will be ready to player after a small update when the game launchers on 12/4 midnight (EST).

Maybe that last update isn't done yet?

Also that vvvv

That 500GB hard drive I bought a week after Wii U launch has paid itself off so many times over now. I've never had to worry about space.

Umibozu

Man the Wii U download speed is ridiculously slow, gonna take about 2 hours to download whenI get around 22-25 MB/s on Steam.
The wiiU can continue downloading even when the system is off/sleep mode. (make sure your settings allow it)

JimboJones

Hmm, alright. I might nab a 32GB so I can move Tropical Freeze, maybe Punch-Out on Wii if I have the space, & then install the packs onto there.

Would I still be able to use it if I need to put some files or videos onto it, or is it stuck being a storage device for the Wii U?

Won't be able to use it for anything else while using it for wiiu storage.
Just plug it in an forget about it.

hlhbk

I need to get around to playing the original game. If I buy this game will I be lost in the story if I don't play the 1st?

you'll probably will want one, the data packs use up more than half of the wiiu's storage

After system updates as well I assume or did you mean with the digital version?

I might have to get some extra storage at some point but for Xenoblade Chronicles X (physical copy with optional download pack installed) then the base 32GB should be fine I think.

Following this thread just made me realize one more time, how much Nintendo screwed up with their storage decisions of the Wii U.

I really hope they learned from this... for the sake of NX. For the sake of us all.

After system updates as well I assume or did you mean with the digital version?

I might have to get some extra storage at some point but for Xenoblade Chronicles X (physical copy with optional download pack installed) then the base 32GB should be fine I think.

no i mean the packs, the wiiu requires 15GB of free space for the packs to download

unless you plan on never downloading any retail wiiu games, you'll need some external storage very soon after buying a wiiu

Mithos

I still don't understand why can't Nintendo give us EU users a pre-load option. Or to buy the game from the website and start the download right away.

Might go up later today, I mean it is nighttime anyways.

I just did a major clean up to make room for these data packs. They're downloading as we speak! This just gets me even more hyped for the game.

ike_

Weird, I was not expecting to be able to pre-load this game. And I'll bet the game loads faster from a HDD than it would from a disc. I think I might have to cancel my pre-order through Amazon and start all the downloadin'.

I wish that I could go digital for this game but the file size of it is just too big for my Wii U's hard drive guess it's time to start downloading the Data packs.

Dang I need to wait on a Y-Cable to start using my external enclosure. Then I need to transfer over stuff I have on the flash drive I'm currently using.

A side question, how essential are the side-quests of the first Xenoblade? I just started and I hear the insane amount of side quests can really bog you down. But I don't want to miss out of seriously good weapons or equipment either. Not sure how I should approach this game.

vareon

I'm aware of this and that's probably the reason why most people do so.

I had to dig through this overwhelming wall of text FAQ before purchasing my Wii U a few months back.

To me it just feels more like an alibi for Nintendo and/or to avoid receiving too many support cases of lost data because of very bad quality flash drives.

It could very well be so, but I'm not going to go directly against Nintendo's recommendation without good reason. Preferably not anecdotes, too (e.g."I have been using it and it's fine! ").

Top Bottom